Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

harveydean

VIP Member
I’ve been following this thread with interest from the beginning and I’m loving the tips! Over the past few years I’ve really upped my game as I work in the forefront of a company and I need to look groomed although I’m pretty lazy. Here are my tips -

- fake tan will give you a healthy glow instantly. I use TanLuxe drops in winter to build up a colour, and Bondi Sands during the warmer months

- make up - others have mentioned Bourjeoius makeup and I rate it! Also Elf eyebrow pencils are great and Maybelline lip gloss is fab. I don’t over do it, just a eyebrows, a cat flick eyeliner, mascara, bronzer, blusher and a bit of gloss. Takes 10 mins

-I have thick and curly hair and recently bought a Babyliss hot air brush. Game changer. I use it once a week after I wash my hair,then use a satin bonnet every night. Literally perfect hair for a week and takes 30 mins to do. A bit of serum keeps it tame!

- I’ve had my brows laminated a few times then tried with a kit off Amazon and did it just as well. £12 for multiple uses rather than £45 a time

- I don’t have time for manicures so I do my cuticles and file once a week, and use Barry M air polish in cupcake. 2 coats last a week and if it chips it’s not noticeable. It’s way better than YSL and Chanel which I used to buy and it’s like £3

- keep your hair close to your natural colour. I have a balayage and if it lightens too much, I darken the roots with a root smudge. It’s low maintenance!

- keep your clothes neutral so you can create a capsule wardrobe. I wear neutrals and classic cuts so everything is interchangeable. I tend to buy H&M and Zara and dress it up with a designer handbag (or a good quality leather one.) People notice cheap shoes and bags - they’re always a giveaway so spend more on them and team them with cheaper basics

- I’ve started getting Botox and filler. Very subtle but has totally changed my face and given me so much more confidence! I don’t want to look younger, I just want to look a good version of me

- use Tretinoin. I’ve been using it for 2 years via skin and me and it’s miracle stuff! It’s totally transformed my skin. For cleansing I use their cleanser but Cerave is very good and cheap. Same with their moisturiser. Also double cleanse but you don’t need expensive products, just something with tretinoin, azalic acid and niacimide. Maybe a bit of vitamin c serum in the morning but ALWAYS spf 50! If I could turn back time I’d be dowsing myself in it from my teens! No point using retinol other than tretinoin in my opinion - it’s just not strong enough.

- look after your teeth! They’re a dead giveaway to your health. I’ve now got Invisalign and wish I’d got them years ago. I want good, natural looking teeth, not big white gnashers, which Invisalign, a bit of composite bonding and white will give me

- I’m blessed with whiskers and a tash so I’ve started dermaplaning. Takes a few minutes every few days and it’s fab. I buy a big pack of razors from Amazon

- Leg/bikini hair, I shave. I used to wax but it’s finding the time and living with regrowth. If I do it every day it takes minutes. For my bum I use hair removal cream once a week

- a spritz of perfume speaks volumes. I wear Dior, Chanel and Diptyque

I think that’s all 😂 I do sound high maintenance but I promise I’m not - these are all easy things and without blowing my own trumpet, even pre Botox people commented they thought I was 10 years younger than I am.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

teabob

Let us know how it goes - mine has reddish undertones so the purple shampoo is essential
I’ve not straightened it yet and I didn’t leave the purple shampoo on for long but I’m happy with it 🙂 It’s blended my roots in and isn’t pulling orange. Thanks for your advice and giving me the confidence to go for it. It was 12 quid as the colour was on offer for 2 boxes. I’m happier with this result than I was last time the hairdresser did it
E63671E4-2F65-48E5-A17F-BD0A385FCEB3.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 41

gossipgirl59

VIP Member
Came across this thread and I thought I would recommend my AFFORDABLE beauty favourites.

HAIRCARE:
1) Shampoo and conditioner- I haven’t found my favourites yet but the ones that work best for me are the L’Oréal elvive ones

2) Pre wash treatment- Either make your own hair mask at home (using coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil etc) or buy the rapunzel hair syrup. You can buy this on beauty bay, it makes my hair look healthier over time

3) Hair mask- The garnier hair food masks are so good. My personal favourite is the banana one

4) Hair serum- Hask argan hair oil is great to use every night on the ends of your hair or after you’ve come out the shower on wet hair

5) Clarifying shampoo- I do a deep clean of my scalp once or twice a month using the noughty detox dynamo shampoo

6) Hair tools- Mark Hill hair curlers and Remington straighteners

MAKEUP:
1) Foundation- L’Oréal true match foundation but I don't wear foundation much so it’s not a favourite of mine

2) Concealer- Maybelline fit me if you love medium coverage, lightweight and creamy concealers. Less is more guys, heavy concealers can look too cakey under the eyes

3) Powder- Maybelline fit me compact powder. Use a triangle powder puff too!! You can find them on Amazon

4) Eyebrows- Elf brow pencils and their wow brow gel. Nyx do good brow pencils too

5) Mascara- L’Oréal telescopic (gold packaging) and Maybelline lash sensational (original) make my eyelashes look long and fluttery. If you are after volume, then go for the essence lash princess (green packaging)

6) Blush- Haven’t found a drugstore favourite yet! I caved in and got the rare beauty liquid blush and it’s so good. That can be classed as affordable if you consider that it will probably last you a lifetime 😂

7) Highlighter- The best natural looking, glow from within highlighter is the wet n wild mega glo highlighter. Not glittery at all

8) Bronzer- No drugstore favourites sadly, just using a rimmel natural bronzer

9) Lips- Nyx lip liners. Maybelline lifter gloss and my favourite glosses of all time are the essence shine shine shine lipglosses. You can get them from Wilkos for £2. They are so so shiny. Also, I LOVE the burts bees tinted lip balm in the shade red dahlia. This gives such a nice tint and you can use it both on no makeup days or full makeup days. Only £5 from boots and Amazon. I sometimes put it on my cheeks too

10) Setting spray- I literally get rose water which is 60p, put that in a spray bottle and spray my face 😂

SKINCARE:
1) First cleanse- I am yet to find my favourite drugstore cleansing balm so garnier micellar water is great as a first cleanse

2) Second cleanse- Cerave hydrating cleanser leaves the skin so smooth and clean. No tight feeling after

3) Serum- The Inkey list niacinamide is great at reducing whiteheads. Hyaluronic acid is good too but a lot of other skincare products have it so I feel there’s no need to get a separate serum for it

4) Eyes- The ordinary caffeine solution is great for puffiness, not sure about dark circles. Also, the etude house my lash serum works so well at growing your lashes out! Literally like £3

5) Moisturiser- Haven’t found my favourite yet but the elf holy hydration creams are quite good and lightweight

6) Lips- I swear by Vaseline. Use a thick layer every morning and night, overtime your lips will get softer. Also, the lush lip scrubs are great to exfoliate your lips

7) Face mask- I don’t use face masks often but I really like the simple and garnier sheet masks

BODYCARE:
1) I recommend Dove body cream, body wash and body scrub. They work so well, especially together. Also, use the dove beauty bar on your body and then use a body wash after. This leaves your skin feeling softer and smelling amazing

2) Deodrant- Mitchum deodorants are hands down the best. No sweating or BO from this at all. Use deodorant before you go to bed too, it makes such a difference

3) Razors- Gillette mens razors!! They work so much better than women razors. And use conditioner or coconut oil to shave, don’t waste money on shaving cream

4) Fragrance- The best affordable ones are either Ariana Grande ones or ones from Zara (especially their dupes)

I think that’s all 🥰

Came across this thread and I thought I would recommend my AFFORDABLE beauty favourites.

HAIRCARE:
1) Shampoo and conditioner- I haven’t found my favourites yet but the ones that work best for me are the L’Oréal elvive ones

2) Pre wash treatment- Either make your own hair mask at home (using coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil etc) or buy the rapunzel hair syrup. You can buy this on beauty bay, it makes my hair look healthier over time

3) Hair mask- The garnier hair food masks are so good. My personal favourite is the banana one

4) Hair serum- Hask argan hair oil is great to use every night on the ends of your hair or after you’ve come out the shower on wet hair

5) Clarifying shampoo- I do a deep clean of my scalp once or twice a month using the noughty detox dynamo shampoo

6) Hair tools- Mark Hill hair curlers and Remington straighteners

MAKEUP:
1) Foundation- L’Oréal true match foundation but I don't wear foundation much so it’s not a favourite of mine

2) Concealer- Maybelline fit me if you love medium coverage, lightweight and creamy concealers. Less is more guys, heavy concealers can look too cakey under the eyes

3) Powder- Maybelline fit me compact powder. Use a triangle powder puff too!! You can find them on Amazon

4) Eyebrows- Elf brow pencils and their wow brow gel. Nyx do good brow pencils too

5) Mascara- L’Oréal telescopic (gold packaging) and Maybelline lash sensational (original) make my eyelashes look long and fluttery. If you are after volume, then go for the essence lash princess (green packaging)

6) Blush- Haven’t found a drugstore favourite yet! I caved in and got the rare beauty liquid blush and it’s so good. That can be classed as affordable if you consider that it will probably last you a lifetime 😂

7) Highlighter- The best natural looking, glow from within highlighter is the wet n wild mega glo highlighter. Not glittery at all

8) Bronzer- No drugstore favourites sadly, just using a rimmel natural bronzer

9) Lips- Nyx lip liners. Maybelline lifter gloss and my favourite glosses of all time are the essence shine shine shine lipglosses. You can get them from Wilkos for £2. They are so so shiny. Also, I LOVE the burts bees tinted lip balm in the shade red dahlia. This gives such a nice tint and you can use it both on no makeup days or full makeup days. Only £5 from boots and Amazon. I sometimes put it on my cheeks too

10) Setting spray- I literally get rose water which is 60p, put that in a spray bottle and spray my face 😂

SKINCARE:
1) First cleanse- I am yet to find my favourite drugstore cleansing balm so garnier micellar water is great as a first cleanse

2) Second cleanse- Cerave hydrating cleanser leaves the skin so smooth and clean. No tight feeling after

3) Serum- The Inkey list niacinamide is great at reducing whiteheads. Hyaluronic acid is good too but a lot of other skincare products have it so I feel there’s no need to get a separate serum for it

4) Eyes- The ordinary caffeine solution is great for puffiness, not sure about dark circles. Also, the etude house my lash serum works so well at growing your lashes out! Literally like £3

5) Moisturiser- Haven’t found my favourite yet but the elf holy hydration creams are quite good and lightweight

6) Lips- I swear by Vaseline. Use a thick layer every morning and night, overtime your lips will get softer. Also, the lush lip scrubs are great to exfoliate your lips

7) Face mask- I don’t use face masks often but I really like the simple and garnier sheet masks

BODYCARE:
1) I recommend Dove body cream, body wash and body scrub. They work so well, especially together. Also, use the dove beauty bar on your body and then use a body wash after. This leaves your skin feeling softer and smelling amazing

2) Deodrant- Mitchum deodorants are hands down the best. No sweating or BO from this at all. Use deodorant before you go to bed too, it makes such a difference

3) Razors- Gillette mens razors!! They work so much better than women razors. And use conditioner or coconut oil to shave, don’t waste money on shaving cream

4) Fragrance- The best affordable ones are either Ariana Grande ones or ones from Zara (especially their dupes)

I think that’s all 🥰
I forgot sunscreen. The MOST important part of your skincare routine. The best sunscreen is the Garnier sun protection fluid. On offer for £6 on look fantastic. It is so lightweight, doesn’t leave a white cast, non greasy or sticky. Make sure to apply every single day

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Love this thread so much. I ordered some bits this week after reading it. X

A8AFC982-46FC-4ECB-A6FF-AD1B363D2611.jpeg

If anyone loves cherries, Tonka bean and vanilla this is amazing. A colleague wears it and I literally sit and sniff the air when she’s sprayed it. She’s into expensive perfumes so was scared to ask and when she said how much it cos I was shook. She kindly gave me a bottle for my birthday and I’ve bought it since for others. Just love it x

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

harveydean

VIP Member
I love your tips!!

What's the best clothing items to start with when starting a capsule wardrobe would you say?
I really want to change up my style, I'm almost 30 and I live in leggings and baggy jumpers/tshits.
I really want a big change and to look more "put together" and nice haha!
I stripped my wardrobe right back to a pair of blue jeans, white jeans and chinos. Then black and white t shirts, vests, bodies in neutral colours, a jumper and cardigan. Jackets - denim, leather and tan knee length one. Plus a white shirt. For summer I have black, white and tan shorts. For accent pieces I have leopard skin and camo

Shoes I have Birkenstocks, Veja trainers and wedges. For winter, trainers, heeled boots and Chelsea boots.

Boring but it works!

Thanks everyone for the micro blading tips! I’m nervously excited now

• Heart
Reactions: 29

ginger tea

Chatty Member
👋 I’m at a point in my life where I’m so confused, don’t know where to start, feel clueless, don’t know who I am, stuck in a rut, peri menopause 🤬 lost myself, can’t be bothered, I want to be bothered, gained almost 2 stone and the list goes on and on and on 🤬🤬🤬
For months now iv spends hundreds of pounds on been all sorts of products, lotions and potions, but I just don’t feel I’m getting anywhere or seeing any difference.
Sorry for the rant just having a low day and feeling sorry for myself 🥴

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29

EddyDarling

VIP Member
So after all that "what shall I do with my hair" chat I've booked a full head balayage 😂
I've gone for a colour melt/complex toner as well to maybe add a bit more depth.
My kids are out for the whole day so I'm going to do some shopping after, pick up some blazers and trousers and then get drunk(ish) in the Harrods Beauty store 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 27

House of Tea

VIP Member
Thought this might be of interest, this was in the Sunday Times Style mag. She is the beauty director and also does beauty on This Morning tv.

06CB9BC3-721E-431B-8E12-8404C2337C8C.jpeg
098232E1-A3EE-4ECB-A0D6-7EDDEC315F6E.jpeg
022C7441-9B62-48D7-9178-DDB1A95A984D.jpeg
C38395F4-3203-4AEF-9401-E91E926E0BC3.jpeg
A003CD6B-029F-438D-B5F3-A91798E7F821.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Millais

Chatty Member
Speaking of The Ordinary, I need to rave about their multi peptide brow serum (which now I think about it, is probably the same as the bottled multi peptide hair serum, but more expensive per ml 🤦🏻‍♀️).

Full disclosure, I do have pretty full eyebrows anyway. But more in the sense that the individual hairs are dark and pretty long. They’re not that dense and the thing that lead me to brow serums was that in one eyebrow I had a little gap right in the head of the brow.I had two hairs then a gap a couple of millimetres wide then the rest of my eyebrow started. I tried Rapidbrow and after two tubes at £38 a pop I saw a couple of wispy transparent hairs and nothing else. Then I tried The Ordinary. I’ve not even used one tube and the gap has properly filled in. The rest of my brows look a little denser too (less skin visible through the undergrowth lol) and the hair that I used to pluck on the body (if that’s the name) of the eyebrow because it was sparse and looked a bit crap is growing thicker so I can now just leave it and not pluck anything - which gives me even fuller eyebrows! And it was only £12.40! I got mine from Boots but I first saw it on Cult Beauty. Would definitely recommend to everyone in here who was asking about brow/lash serums.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

barryjones

VIP Member
Things I have learned:

No skincare makes my face look as good as a bit of Botox.

Always having your fingernails and toes painted goes a long way to looking “polished”. I get a BIAB gel manicure once a month. Feet less often as it lasts ages.

Hair - keep it a low maintenance colour and the dyson airwrap has been a god send. Style it, sleep with it in a bun or plaits and do not touch. Lasts 5 days or more without a wash (some batiste helps)

Agree that a bit of fake tan/gradual tanner makes you look healthier and more awake.

I’ve got a few designer handbags and I use them. Life is too short to keep everything for “best”. I paid for them I’m gonna use them. This also helps to ‘elevate’ even a primark outfit.

A midi dress in a bold print always looks like you’ve made effort.

Perfume - always wear it. I use dupe sites to see if I’ll like something before committing to a £100 bottle. Not those mlm ones! There’s some decent dupe houses. I have tonnes now for hardly any £.

Wardrobe - find a look and stick with it. I love midi dresses and skirts. It means I can open my wardrobe and have a dress to quickly throw on or a load of nice skirts I can put with a decent tshirt - arket or Uniqlo.

If something starts looking worse for wear, get rid. With the exception of bags I love a worn in leather bag.

Treat yourself to a nice shower gel and body cream. You use them every day it sets your day up nicely to use something a bit ‘luxe’.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

EddyDarling

VIP Member
Why can't I look super poised by the pool? I see so many people with their hair in a "messy updo" looking all serene, whereas I just look hot and bothered. My attempts at a upknot make me look more like a sumo wrestler. What's the secret?
You're not drunk enough, you need to booze until you don't care anymore darling!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

Carapop

VIP Member
Yeap, Therapie on south William street D2 is where I go. It is an actual Doctor that does the injections so that made me feel safe. I've gotten both botox & lip fillers from there and am super happy with how it's all turned out. Other peoples reviews for there online that I've read are good too.
They use a numbing cream & honestly I barely feel anything, at most it's just a little butterfly pinch.
They have a deal at mo that is 3 areas of botox for price of 2. It has been on for months and does return fairly regular.
Prices in general around Dublin all seem to be about the same. So I feel they are just good safe place to go.
so, I went to that particular clinic a few years ago to get lip filler. I was asked why I was interested in filler and what my expectations were. I said oh I get it done every year, I have big eyes and a fringe and I feel my smaller mouth makes my face look out of balance. I like to enhance my lips to try and make sense of my face!

The male doctor then spent the duration of the appointment telling me all the other things I should do in addition to the lip filler. Botox to fix my forehead lines, and cheek filler to boost my cheekbones and address my nasiolabial lines, and chin filler to help achieve the “golden ratio”.

I had never before considered that there was anything wrong with my bone structure and my chin was never ever paid a passing thought!

it is easy see how folk fall down the slippery slope of addiction when such manipulative tactics are employed by powerful practitioners and vulnerable women.

out of sheer principle I’ll never darken the doors of a Therapie again.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
I’d like to get a little color before I go to the beach. I’m considering spray tanning and I’m worried about coming out orange, sweating it off, etc. I need all of the advice pls
I’ve got you covered babe. Pre covid I spray tanned from March to October every year and just started going again.

So - I love the Tanning Shop as they have cheap packages if you go on a non peak day (will vary by store but it’s like Sunday Monday Tuesday generally). Some of my friends swear by Secret Spa-type things where the technician comes to your house with a tent, and you leave it on less time, but for me that’s more expensive than I’m willing to pay for not much benefit.

IMHO you need to go to somewhere that does Versa Pro. In my experience it lasts way longer than Mystic or Sienna X and is less orange. Ask them for the clear one, otherwise you’ll look dark the second you walk out. (It won’t affect the final tan but preferably I just don’t like looking like I’ve had a spray tan five minutes ago!)

I’m blonde and fair, slash pale and sallow, but I do tan well albeit very slowly. I go for medium. I’ve also had dark. Never tried light or very dark - maybe others have? I will say, my natural tan colour tends to be on the orange side, as opposed to very dark, or very golden. You’d be good with light or medium I reckon.

Before you go, exfoliate well and try to not shower for a few hours beforehand. Don’t shave for 24 hours beforehand as the tan sinks into the follicles. Take loose clothes.

In the booth, be generous with the barrier cream on elbows, knees etc. Don’t worry about having noticeable delineations between where you put the cream and where you don’t - I can honestly say I’ve never had issues with it whereas I have had buildup on my heels for example, from not using enough barrier cream. Then follow the instructions and as soon as you come out, wipe your palms and soles incredibly well. I do often feel a bit sweaty afterwards but it never seems to affect the outcome. Tbh even if I have a strap rubbing it doesn’t seem to matter much but loose clothes will be more comfy.

My personal approach, once home, is to wash my face with face wash and water. I use tanning drops for my face and worst comes to worst, I’d rather touch a paler face up with bronzer than look tangoed. I don’t fully trust the booth tan on my face

So then on your face, I’d recommend Tan Luxe drops with your normal moisturiser just before bed. (You can keep that topped up while on holiday.)

I would normally tan in the evening and wash off in the morning. It will mark your sheets but it washes out. In the shower you’ll be like 😱 when you see it wash off but don’t be alarmed, that’s just the colour marker.

On hols, I used to be strict about not going in the pool etc. and try to only use oil free moisturisers and sun cream, but tbh I can’t say I noticed a huge difference in longevity compared to when I just did whatever I felt like. Same for shaving - it doesn’t take it off. For me it goes a bit scaly on my chest after a while (ages though) and never works as well on my shoulders, but I can never tan my shoulders normally so I think that’s just a me thing. It genuinely lasts about ten days on me if I’ve exfoliated well in the run-up. Then I’d start to notice it on my towels after a shower a bit, and then I just buff a bit off each day til I’m ready to go again!

Good luck, it can be a bit of a faff but so worth it and means you don’t need to damage your skin by sunbathing! 🌞

• Heart
Reactions: 20

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Read all of both the threads, what fab advice you all have! My notes list is very long and I feel an expensive shop coming😂

Thought I would throw in my lil routines even though I think most have been discussed before!

- Clean hair! For me, this often means washing every day. I know it's not the best for your hair but I hateeeee the feel of dry shampoo. I'd rather just wash my hair than spray a load of product in it which is essentially just making it dirty. My hairdresser always says my hair is healthy so it can't be doing too much damage. If I'm WFH, I will push it to every other day but if I'm in the office or going out, clean hair is a must. If I shower and don't wash my hair, I still never feel fully clean.

I change my shampoo and conditioner all the time but I like the bed head stuff a lot. I use an olaplex treatment once a week and every other week I will put a hair mask in whilst I WFH (I use garnier hair food to do a slick back bun for the day). ALWAYS use heat protecter. I have frizzy hair so tend to straighten or use a hot brush every day. You can do it whilst maintaining healthy hair if you do it properly.

- Nails - my mum drilled into me from an early age that dirty hands/nails are unacceptable hahaha and now I'm always very consious of my hands because people see them a lot. I have BIAB every 3 weeks. Usually go for french or a nude. Classic colours that just look clean. They make my hands look nicer:ROFLMAO:

- Makeup - This really depends. If I'm having a good skin day, just a little concealer, cream bronzer, cream blush, eyebrows and mascara. The cream products help look glowy and fresh. If I'm not, I'll add a foundation in too but try and keep it as light as possible, especially if it is just for work.

- Skincare - I have just started using skin + me which I'm loving! I use cereve cleanser, skin + me, aldi's version of glow tonic and a nivea moisturiser every night. In the morning I just do a liquid cleanser and moisturiser. I have massively scaled back my routine since using skin + me but it's working for me.

- Tan - I am pastyyyy and think if I have some colour I just look a bit more healthy. In the summer I use a proper fake tan, usually filter by Molly Mae or bondi sands. I have this routine downnnnnn to a T now - it's a long process and fake tan night is a full commitment but it is worth it. On my face I use UTan which I really like and recommend if you struggle with spots (the CBD and jasmine in it helped me!). In the winter I use dove gradual tan. The best on the market for me just to maintain a bit of a glow without it looking too much.

From this thread I definitely want to look at getting a lash lift/tint, and investing in some luxe shower products (a nice shower gel, body moisturiser because I'm a bit rubbish for doing that).

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Zulkraa

VIP Member
I’d like a new perfume that smells ‘ Expensive old money’ if you know what I mean

I like masculine scents or clean or maybe not sure how to describe not fruity

I have molecule 1, Byredos gypsy water and Mojave Ghost and Creed Aventus

any suggestions
Your post reminded me of this:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18