Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Following on from a discussion in the “Tips on how to look more groomed, glamorous or polished thread”, I set this one up to cover all tips in order to keep your home glamorous. Shout outs to @sammien89 @Codiaeum for the suggestion and encouragement @Rodneytrotter

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Cleaning routines
Regular declutters
Have a home for everything

I love to spend time making my home look and feel fresh. I have set days for deep cleans (Eg Monday I will spend an hour doing the bedrooms top to bottom. Tuesday could be a deep clean of the bathroom and then a quick daily blitz around). I never spend more than an hour on a room but it keeps it nice by doing it regularly and means that I only need to spend five minutes straightening up a room for the rest of the week.

Sometimes just making your bed can be a starting point and it freshens up your room.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Ohh great idea! I love the other thread :love:

These would be my top tips:

1. Make the bed every morning but fold back the duvet to air it out.

2. No shoes in the house/shoes left inside the front door. I hate to say this to guests but it really has made such a difference in the house knowing that no dirt has been dragged in and all carpets are spotless.

3. Tumble dryer sheets in shoes so there are no smells.

4. Wipe down the shower after every use and shine the glass doors. It only takes 2 minutes and is so worth it.

5. Boxes with labels in the utility room and attic. Don't just throw stuff in a box and put it away.

6. Fresh flowers in the hallway.

7. No wires on display (back of the tv etc) I just think it looks messy.

8. Use a lint roller on the couches/soft furnishings.

9. Spray a piece of kitchen roll with Zoflora and leave it in the bin to make it smell nice. Or use bicarb soda to eliminate smells.

10. Have perfume bottles on display. I think this looks so glam.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
It's just me and my boyfriend in our home, but we both work from home, so home pretty much always. When we worked in the office, there definitely was less dust in the flat!

My top tips:

- for longhaired folks (both of us have long hair): get a cheap squeegee and use that on your bathroom floor to gather hair quickly! That way you don't need to haul the vacuum out or have the robot vacuum getting all tangled up with the hair, but have a dust and hair free floor quickly. It makes such a difference!

- try to have a routine for cleaning specific rooms that get the most visibly dirty. I clean the bathroom every Sunday - sounds like a faff but since I do it every week it's maybe 20 min including wiping the floor. Same for kitchen, I hate a messy and dirty kitchen, so I do the dishes every evening, throw whatever possible into the dishwasher and wipe down the surfaces. I try to keep them clean of stuff, I can't stand it if they're cluttered.

- robot vacuum! Seriously, such a good investment. It can run while I'm taking a walk or getting groceries and it made allergy season so much more bearable.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I like a lot of artificial plants too.. I know they aren’t the best but having some greenery really changes a room.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Ooh I’m reading and taking notes

My tip would be… de clutter! Less is always more. Looks more pleasing to the eye when a few things are properly placed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Ooh I’m reading and taking notes

My tip would be… de clutter! Less is always more. Looks more pleasing to the eye when a few things are properly placed.
It doesn’t have to be a huge job either. You could start with a shelf or a drawer.

Reactions: 8
Thank you so much for this thread!! I can’t really think of any specific tips I have. I always change my scents based upon the seasons, if that counts? I’m a sucker for candles and diffusers so always have something to fit the season. Autumn/Winter is my absolute favourite with all the deep, ‘manly’ notes and a little bit of spiced apple around Christmas.

I’m looking to cut back on cleaning products though. As I’m such a fool for a nice scent I find that I buy stuff I don’t need or use and end up with cupboards full of wasted products. Can anyone recommend any multi purpose products that will help me cut back? Ideally I’d like to have one, under the sink sized basket filled with all the cleaning products I need. I live in a 2 bed flat alone so don’t need a massive amount anyway. Currently I have one basket purely for Zoflora and maybe 2-3 other baskets for things like glass spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner etc. I’m embarrassed at how excessive it actually is but I blame lockdown and the whole Mrs Hinch hype of 2020💀

Reactions: 17
Thank you so much for this thread!! I can’t really think of any specific tips I have. I always change my scents based upon the seasons, if that counts? I’m a sucker for candles and diffusers so always have something to fit the season. Autumn/Winter is my absolute favourite with all the deep, ‘manly’ notes and a little bit of spiced apple around Christmas.

I’m looking to cut back on cleaning products though. As I’m such a fool for a nice scent I find that I buy stuff I don’t need or use and end up with cupboards full of wasted products. Can anyone recommend any multi purpose products that will help me cut back? Ideally I’d like to have one, under the sink sized basket filled with all the cleaning products I need. I live in a 2 bed flat alone so don’t need a massive amount anyway. Currently I have one basket purely for Zoflora and maybe 2-3 other baskets for things like glass spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner etc. I’m embarrassed at how excessive it actually is but I blame lockdown and the whole Mrs Hinch hype of 2020💀
Elbow grease spray is multi use and you can get a big bottle for £2 or less. It's great stuff.
I also tried the Dr Beckmann magic leaves which are laundry detergent sheets. They take up much less room and they're actually very good.

Reactions: 8
Elbow grease spray is multi use and you can get a big bottle for £2 or less. It's great stuff.
I also tried the Dr Beckmann magic leaves which are laundry detergent sheets. They take up much less room and they're actually very good.
Ohh I haven’t heard of the magic leaves before, they sound very interesting! I will have a look, thank you☺

Reactions: 1
Highly recommend the Flash French Soap multipurpose cleaner and floor cleaner …smells divine!

Reactions: 11
I’ve come across from the other (amazing) thread. Thank you so much for starting this.
I decorate my home almost exclusively in light colours, I’m constantly putting stuff away - no cluttered surfaces, and I vacuum downstairs daily. I make the beds and empty the dishwasher first thing every morning. Routine is key, it builds habit.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
A tip that works amazingly for me is if I cba to clean up, say if the time is 6.53pm for example, I tell myself to clean/tidy until just 7pm and it motivates me because it’s only 7 mins lol, I alwaaays end up doing more because I’m in the groove and the hardest part is starting lol just how my brain works x

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I'm very glad for this thread, I have depressive moods and I know that a messy space can make it worse, so I'm keen to read everyone's tips. I do my best, but some days are easier than others. Something that helps a room look cosier are standing lamps (I have one that stands in the corner and it makes for a nice atmosphere and a room feel snuggly)

• Heart
Reactions: 42
A tip that works amazingly for me is if I cba to clean up, say if the time is 6.53pm for example, I tell myself to clean/tidy until just 7pm and it motivates me because it’s only 7 mins lol, I alwaaays end up doing more because I’m in the groove and the hardest part is starting lol just how my brain works x
I do this sometimes! Another thing I do is put a good podcast on. It’s actually quite relaxing turning your brain off, listening to a podcast and pottering around. I normally get quite a lot done and actually enjoy it!

I'm very glad for this thread, I have depressive moods and I know that a messy space can make it worse, so I'm keen to read everyone's tips. I do my best, but some days are easier than others. Something that helps a room look cosier are standing lamps (I have one that stands in the corner and it makes for a nice atmosphere and a room feel snuggly)
I understand this, I also feel anxious when the house isn’t in order. I feel a lot calmer when it’s cleaner and not cluttered!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Oh great thread (y). My tips are....

No clutter
Diffusers or plug in air freshners
Decanting foods into jars like cereal, pasta etc
Boxes to put things in like letters etc makes it look tidier
Stick to a few neutral colours throughout the home

I'd say do one big clean a week and then a couple of quick cleans.
You deffo don't need a hundred different cleaning product I stick to...anti bac spray, bleach, bathroom cleaner and then a polish for wood/glass.
Tidy the lounge/Wash dishes before you go to bed at night so the kitchen is clean in the morning (nothing worse then waking up to a messy kitchen/lounge IMO).

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Make the bed as soon as you get out of it. I do this, then go and have a shower and walk back out of the en suite and it's lovely to see the bed made. It instantly makes the room look tidier.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.