Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel you on this. I find I'm less oily when I don't slack on my nighttime skincare routine - my skin is really 'efficient' in that if I skip moisturising and I'm not well hydrated it immediately overcompensates and gets extra oily 🥲 I find lots of foundations are so awful for oily complexions - there's a Revlon oil absorbing roller that I thought would be a gimmick but I've been surprised with how well it worked for me. It definitely makes it easier to touch up in the day where I need rather than adding more powder.
Similarly with it being on your head and impacting your hair, it could be that your skin is overcompensating for something in your hair wash routine? I think someone mentioned haircare with salicylic and glycolic acids in them earlier in the thread - I've used Revolution's salicylic shampoo and thought it was pretty good, though my head sweats so it wasn't effective enough for me, but if it's mostly oil in your case it might work better?
Thank you! Off to find them today!!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I know this might seem like a very stupid question but what are people wearing to work in offices these days?
I’ve got a new job and after having a uniform for the last 12 years I actually need to shop for office wear 🤣. I know it doesn’t need to be super smart eg suits but my trusty weekend leggings aren’t going to cut it.
Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA :)

Reactions: 5
I wear a lot of midi-length dresses with tights and zip up Chelsea boots to work. I have to walk a lot to get to the office, so the doll-like Instagram shoes are really impractical for me. In the summer, I ditch the tights and sometimes wear cotton maxi dresses with sneakers (either black or Converse, depending on how I feel). I vary the colours, print design and pack a cardigan or shawl with me, as the air-conditioning at work makes me feel extremely cold, and it's nice to have to hand. If I feel like my outfit looks a bit plain, I drape a light scarf around my shoulders (like a patterned satin one) or wear nice earrings. I remember once putting hair pins with fabric roses in my hair and didn't get pulled up on it.

I see lots of women wear the dress with sneakers combo, which looks cute and still work appropriate, as well as nice tops or blouses with loose trousers (palazzo style or even cigarette style). Last week I saw a few ladies wearing pastel or printed pant suits with a vest top underneath and flats - they looked very chic!
PS. Congrats on your new job! 🍾

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I feel like a mess. I started reading this thread when I got my week off on holiday this summer (thank you). My daughter looks immaculate when she goes out; I look like I don't know how to put make-up on. It's a bit odd because I buy all her products for her, but I guess she has watched a lot online. I also hate clothes shopping which isn't helping. I can't whiten my teeth because I have two veneers which were very expensive and they are not white. I'm ginger (but my hair is black) and I sweat like a nun at magic mike. I currently have Eucerin day cream and night cream as my skin does not like products, No. 7 make up and cheap products. I had my eyelashes lifted and it made no difference because they are so fair. My hair dye just keeps running out all over everything despite the astronomical price I pay for it to be done. My haircut always looks the same. Eyebrow tint lasts a few days maybe. Lip waxing lasts less than a week and I'm feeling spiky whiskers, although they are not dark. I can't use loads of products on my face, but I'd just like to look a bit more put-together and grown-up. I'm forty bloody nine.

I know this might seem like a very stupid question but what are people wearing to work in offices these days?
I’ve got a new job and after having a uniform for the last 12 years I actually need to shop for office wear 🤣. I know it doesn’t need to be super smart eg suits but my trusty weekend leggings aren’t going to cut it.
You should read my latest post; that's the ridiculous question!

In the offices I visit, I see ladies wearing casual style blazers in various colours and they push the sleeves up. They seem to team them with various styles of trousers, a nice pair of heels and a cami type top. I've seen some in midi dresses with flat trainer-style shoes, but then other offices have them in jeans, and an oversized shirt.

I think I would google the place you're going to and check all their online socials as it may show photos of what everyone is wearing.

Edited to apologise for being so rude: Congratulations on your new job!!!! :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Not a stupid question - it all varies so wildly from place to place so it's difficult to guess these days.

The above posters have great advice, and I was going to suggest dresses too - just one item to choose in the morning and easily dressed up or down. I was going to suggest blazers too - over a nice cami, a plain t-shirt, any type of shirty blouse.

In my current office-based job literally anything goes across the whole organisation - there are definitely always a few pairs of leggings (or shorts) being worn on any given day! I recognise that this is unusual, but just to say that just because it's office-based doesn't necessarily dictate a professional dress code (!!!).

At previous jobs I've gone for dresses on the whole because I really didn't want to fill my wardrobe with work clothes I didn't love and probably wouldn't wear in 'real life'. I've also worn a 'work uniform' of a bunch of mix & match dark tops, trousers, and cardi's that were always appropriate and required little thought (or budget!).

Checking socials is a good idea, and if possible I might even consider lurking about the offices if you're local and that's at all practical, around lunchtime or 5, and see if you can get an idea of what's usual. Got any documents you could drop in?

It might be a different picture if you're ever public/client facing though.

• Heart
Others have given some great guidance here but just to add a suggestion that you ask the HR person you’ve contact with so far. My day job is HR and I’d say probably 75% of our new hires will ask about a dress code or what people usually wear, it’s really common. My office is super casual so it’s a case of dresses/jeans and a top for most of the time - in fact today I’m in leggings and a tunic kind of top, it probably sounds more casual than it is ha! More places are leaning into comfort as a priority (though obviously the norm is going to still be no trainers/no sportswear/no leisurewear)
If their socials aren’t giving anything away, a dress is going to be your best starting look IMO.

I feel like a mess. I started reading this thread when I got my week off on holiday this summer (thank you). My daughter looks immaculate when she goes out; I look like I don't know how to put make-up on. It's a bit odd because I buy all her products for her, but I guess she has watched a lot online. I also hate clothes shopping which isn't helping. I can't whiten my teeth because I have two veneers which were very expensive and they are not white. I'm ginger (but my hair is black) and I sweat like a nun at magic mike. I currently have Eucerin day cream and night cream as my skin does not like products, No. 7 make up and cheap products. I had my eyelashes lifted and it made no difference because they are so fair. My hair dye just keeps running out all over everything despite the astronomical price I pay for it to be done. My haircut always looks the same. Eyebrow tint lasts a few days maybe. Lip waxing lasts less than a week and I'm feeling spiky whiskers, although they are not dark. I can't use loads of products on my face, but I'd just like to look a bit more put-together and grown-up. I'm forty bloody nine.
I’m sorry you’re feeling down on yourself ❤
There are lots of online resources for people of all ages- tbh if your daughter is great at finding quality videos maybe she can help find something you could pull tips from (she would probably not see what you’re talking about around how you feel about your own makeup so telling her you want a refresh might be good for you to do together? I say this as my mum is older than you by about 15 years but expressed something similar when I was 20 ish and very into makeup and it was actually a lovely bonding experience to try things out with her, I’ll still do her makeup now and then but not because she needs the tips on technique these days)

hopefully others can help with making tints/dyes last longer when colouring so far from your natural colours.
Also I think some electrolysis machines can do fairer hair/skin these days- could be worth looking into if you’re already paying for waxing regularly!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@skintsocks just on the lash lift part, did you have them tinted at the same time? Whenever I’ve had a lift they’ve always hinted / said outright that they don’t see the point doing it for me unless I get my lashes tinted too, because mine are fair. Maybe you did and it just wasn’t a very good technician, but if not it might be worth trying.

With regard to brows, maybe micro blading could be an option? Although a very expensive one I know.

If you have veneers, I bet your teeth are already lovely! So don’t worry about that.

With the clothes shopping, I find it stressful doing it in shops too, so have used ASOS for years as returns are so easy. Even if it’s just to get an idea of what you feel good in. I’ve banned myself from buying any new clothes this year so have been on Vinted a lot too which also gives the benefit of being cheaper and you get to try stuff on at home.

Reactions: 2
@skintsocks I'm sorry you're not feeling your best right now ❤
Regarding your hair - I've read in the past that certain hair colours are more prone to not taking dye well and reddish tones were one of them. It could also be that you have a lot of built up on your hair from products, preventing the dye to settle in. You could ask your colorist about it next time you go and point out that it seems to bleed out a lot. Or, if you're generally not too happy, try booking an appointment at a different salon and work out with them what would suit your hair best in terms of cut and color.
Regarding sweating, I can totally relate. I recently found a product that you apply for a couple of nights and then only every few days that is a lifesaver. It's called Yerka and it's an antiperspirant. Stings a bit, but at least it doesn't make you smell like rotten eggs and it works very well. For my face I swear by those little oil control blotting papers (powder free) before putting on anything else and as the last step I use real silk powder. That mostly keeps everything at bay, except for really hot days, then I use blotting papers throughout the day. More powder is nasty when you're getting sweaty, I would look and feel like the breading of a fish finger otherwise.

• Heart
@Whatsallthis my rotation of office clothes are a combination of:

Tops:
- Striped breton
- Turtle neck jumper
- Bodysuit (Long, short and no sleeve varieties)
- White button up shirt
- Plain black/white t-shirt

Bottoms:
- Peg leg trousers
- Culottes
- A line skirt, mini with tights
- Satin midi skirt, tights optional

Dresses:
- Swing styles
- Maxi dress from Zara for summer
- Pinafore

And all my shoes are a variety of Doc Martens that live under my desk 😂

Most of these tops and bottoms go with everything else, so it’s not too hard to plan something.

I’ve got a couple blazers that live at the office for fancier events but I don’t normally wear them day to day.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
just wanted to say that teeth whitening strips are SO bad for your teeth in the long term. Maybe once if you’re in desperate need to whiten it but still 🥴. it increases sensitivity and may lead to you needing to replace some teeth. Visit a dentist and even though it’s slightly pricey they’ll do it safely and properly. I’m a dentist and when I saw the teeth whitening chat on here I gasped 🤣
What would you recommend? My aesthetics practitioner (a qualified Dentist) recommended Enlighten, because it comes with a guarantee - but would be interested to look at what else is out there as nowhere close to me seems to be offering it!

I don't have the yellowest teeth, I'm just fair skinned so the lack of contrast works against me! Doubt I'd need the most super intense treatment but I don't have strong teeth (maybe payoff for them being naturally straight haha) so don't want to damage them, but being self conscious of your smile is not the one

@skintsocks just on the lash lift part, did you have them tinted at the same time? Whenever I’ve had a lift they’ve always hinted / said outright that they don’t see the point doing it for me unless I get my lashes tinted too, because mine are fair. Maybe you did and it just wasn’t a very good technician, but if not it might be worth trying.

With regard to brows, maybe micro blading could be an option? Although a very expensive one I know.
As a fellow blondie, dyeing your lashes actually makes more of a difference than lifting them to the overall 'look'. I use Joanna (a Polish brand) Henna, which is super cheap and comes in brown as well if you don't want the very dark look. Works in <2 minutes and doesn't take much skill. Just keep your eye closed, use a pad underneath plus vaseline around the eye, and wear gloves.

My microblading wasn't cheap (about £200?) but absolutely worth it. I could never achieve this look with makeup products, let alone get it to stay in place!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Thank you everyone for your officewear help. I’ve had a look at their socials and it definitely looks a bit more casual than I was thinking.
I think I’ll plan to be a bit smarter for the first day and take it from there. I should be able to pick up a few bits that can be dressed down/up.
Thanks again. You’re all wonderful 🥰

• Heart
Someone posted some pics from a magazine with different beauty product recommendations. I remember wanting to try the mascara but I can't remember what it was 😭 stupidly didn't save the pic. Does anyone remember?

Someone posted some pics from a magazine with different beauty product recommendations. I remember wanting to try the mascara but I can't remember what it was 😭 stupidly didn't save the pic. Does anyone remember?
Quoting myself like a sausage, but I've found it now. I thought it was in thread 1 and it was in this one (ss attached if anyone was curious!)

Attachments

What would you recommend? My aesthetics practitioner (a qualified Dentist) recommended Enlighten, because it comes with a guarantee - but would be interested to look at what else is out there as nowhere close to me seems to be offering it!

I don't have the yellowest teeth, I'm just fair skinned so the lack of contrast works against me! Doubt I'd need the most super intense treatment but I don't have strong teeth (maybe payoff for them being naturally straight haha) so don't want to damage them, but being self conscious of your smile is not the one

As a fellow blondie, dyeing your lashes actually makes more of a difference than lifting them to the overall 'look'. I use Joanna (a Polish brand) Henna, which is super cheap and comes in brown as well if you don't want the very dark look. Works in <2 minutes and doesn't take much skill. Just keep your eye closed, use a pad underneath plus vaseline around the eye, and wear gloves.

My microblading wasn't cheap (about £200?) but absolutely worth it. I could never achieve this look with makeup products, let alone get it to stay in place!
since enlighten comes with a guarantee I’d say that. Teeth naturally comes in different colours like skin. A lot of teeth whitening kits contain bleach (and you know, bleaching hair kills It and it’s a similar situation with the teeth except teeth are a lot stronger so you are less likely to notice the effects until later. Go and consult a dentist if you are really conscious as in the end all that matters is ones happiness. Just to add, if the stains are not surface level that cannot be removed

My local superdrug and boots didn't have the barry m air range, gutted. However I did pick up a similar shade from rimmel which I've used before and liked.
I got the mascara quoted above so pleased about that.
I'm focusing on paying off my credit card so whilst it's killing me not getting loads of the recommendations from here, it's nice to be able to have gotten a couple of the cheaper things 😊

Reactions: 7
My local superdrug and boots didn't have the barry m air range, gutted. However I did pick up a similar shade from rimmel which I've used before and liked.
I got the mascara quoted above so pleased about that.
I'm focusing on paying off my credit card so whilst it's killing me not getting loads of the recommendations from here, it's nice to be able to have gotten a couple of the cheaper things 😊
I buy the air range from Amazon

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I vote for a well shaped natural brow. I fill in some patchy areas but I think insta brows look too fake and laminated brows look like werewolves.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Apologies to anyone here with one, but I think brow lamination is going to be this era's velour tracksuits with J U I C Y across the arse
I don't like when laminated brows are very stuck to the face and brushed up but I get lamination because then I can brush them into a shape that I want and it doesn't look like those crazy lamination looks

Not sure if I’m late to the party with this but I’ve just seen on feel unique that you can order 5 samples a month for £3.95 postage. Might be a way of trying products out, think I’m going to order some samples later. Going to post this to the honest skincare thread too!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.