Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What works for me in an everyday sense:
  • Wear only one pattern at a time - e.g., if you love animal print, pick just one item with it on (bag, shoes, jacket) and make sure everything else is a single colour from that - if you're not sure, go with black.
  • Keep jewellery to a minimum - earrings or necklace, not both (keep that for formal wear). Don't wear multiple rings (especially not stacked up all on the same finger) and lots of jingly bracelets. Simplicity is key.
  • Iron and/or steam everything (with the exception of underwear). Sometimes the iron won't shift stubborn creases from linen or stiff cotton, so I'll finish off with a good steam. I bought my steamer from Kmart NZ for $60-odd and it's the best thing ever. You can pick them up on secondhand marketplaces cheaply as a lot of people buy them, intending to use them, but they end up in the back of a cupboard. You don't need to spend a lot of money on an iron, but something with steam and self-cleaning functions is advisable.
  • Makeup: make a feature of eyes or lips, not both.
  • If you wear a really short skirt, wear a high neck top. If you wear a low cut top, wear something long on the bottom.
  • Invest in a session with a stylist to learn what 'your colours' are and what fits look good on you (a real-life Trinny and Susannah-type person). You don't have to spend a lot of money to look great; in fact, a lot of people spend far too much money on things that look terrible on them because they don't suit the colour or fit, or succumb to what's trendy.
  • Buy a few scarves - they can transform an outfit very simply (look up ways to tie them on YouTube).
  • Look to someone who you think always looks great and emulate what they do.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am loving these threads and your tips.
My top tips are...

-simple classic gold or silver jewellery. Years ago I worked with a very glamorous Spanish jewellery who told me that gold or silver will suit you more based on your undertones. She told me when you look at your veins in your wrist, if they look blue=cool undertones=silver will suit you more, if they look green=warm undertones, gold will suit more, and if they look blue/green=neutral, either will suit. Might be complete bollocks, but it's stuck with me 🤣

-likewise, was told that you know a perfume suits you if you can't smell it on yourself. I always wear perfumes, and rotate between a few favourites. 2-4 sprays on my pulse points only.

-I always have my finger nails done, and my toes. I live in the med, so do tend to look after my feet as they're out all the time and either treat myself to a pedi once a month, or do the same at home with cheaper body products.

- I look after my face. I drink lots of water, moisturise morning and night, remove make up properly and then cleanse, and always use spf on my face. I also keep my face in the shade when sunbathing.

- I swear by clinique BB moisturising gel. It has spf in it, and adapts to your skin tone. Looks so natural and not cakey. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK as I only discovered it here in cyprus though. That, lvl or a bit of mascara and groomed eyebrows and I'm happy.

I think that's it really 🤔

Question for everyone else though, I've seen lots of you lovelies with thick hair recommend sleeping with it in a bun. I try this, however I always wake up and take it out and look like Hagrid. Is there a knack to it?! A special sort of bobble? I tend to use invisi-bobbles and wrap about 3 times..
I put a little serum and then tie my hair into a loose pineapple using a scrunchie (the ones I have are from a soft satin material and don't tug on my hair or tear at it). For the first 2-3 days after washing my hair, I do the pineapple, and tuck it into a hair bonnet. The day before I wash it, I tie it into a loose braid

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can someone tell me exactly what steamer to buy please. I’m demented reading all the reviews.
Conair is my favorite brand (at least for me) it is affordable and have good performance and life. Almost all of my heat tools are from conair and I can't complaint :D ♥

I am loving these threads and your tips.
My top tips are...

-simple classic gold or silver jewellery. Years ago I worked with a very glamorous Spanish jewellery who told me that gold or silver will suit you more based on your undertones. She told me when you look at your veins in your wrist, if they look blue=cool undertones=silver will suit you more, if they look green=warm undertones, gold will suit more, and if they look blue/green=neutral, either will suit. Might be complete bollocks, but it's stuck with me 🤣

-likewise, was told that you know a perfume suits you if you can't smell it on yourself. I always wear perfumes, and rotate between a few favourites. 2-4 sprays on my pulse points only.

-I always have my finger nails done, and my toes. I live in the med, so do tend to look after my feet as they're out all the time and either treat myself to a pedi once a month, or do the same at home with cheaper body products.

- I look after my face. I drink lots of water, moisturise morning and night, remove make up properly and then cleanse, and always use spf on my face. I also keep my face in the shade when sunbathing.

- I swear by clinique BB moisturising gel. It has spf in it, and adapts to your skin tone. Looks so natural and not cakey. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK as I only discovered it here in cyprus though. That, lvl or a bit of mascara and groomed eyebrows and I'm happy.

I think that's it really 🤔

Question for everyone else though, I've seen lots of you lovelies with thick hair recommend sleeping with it in a bun. I try this, however I always wake up and take it out and look like Hagrid. Is there a knack to it?! A special sort of bobble? I tend to use invisi-bobbles and wrap about 3 times..
I bought a silk cap for 3 dollars on ebay.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I went into harrods beauty and was ignored. I was at nars trying to but a foundation and concealer but she walked past me. To complain to her colleague it was too quiet and she was bored. 😂

So I walked over to iconic and no one was there.

So I left 😂 x
Omigod I would have been sending off a swift email to the store manager! I'm that person!
That's crap!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’d like to get a little color before I go to the beach. I’m considering spray tanning and I’m worried about coming out orange, sweating it off, etc. I need all of the advice pls

Reactions: 1
I’d like to get a little color before I go to the beach. I’m considering spray tanning and I’m worried about coming out orange, sweating it off, etc. I need all of the advice pls
I’ve got you covered babe. Pre covid I spray tanned from March to October every year and just started going again.

So - I love the Tanning Shop as they have cheap packages if you go on a non peak day (will vary by store but it’s like Sunday Monday Tuesday generally). Some of my friends swear by Secret Spa-type things where the technician comes to your house with a tent, and you leave it on less time, but for me that’s more expensive than I’m willing to pay for not much benefit.

IMHO you need to go to somewhere that does Versa Pro. In my experience it lasts way longer than Mystic or Sienna X and is less orange. Ask them for the clear one, otherwise you’ll look dark the second you walk out. (It won’t affect the final tan but preferably I just don’t like looking like I’ve had a spray tan five minutes ago!)

I’m blonde and fair, slash pale and sallow, but I do tan well albeit very slowly. I go for medium. I’ve also had dark. Never tried light or very dark - maybe others have? I will say, my natural tan colour tends to be on the orange side, as opposed to very dark, or very golden. You’d be good with light or medium I reckon.

Before you go, exfoliate well and try to not shower for a few hours beforehand. Don’t shave for 24 hours beforehand as the tan sinks into the follicles. Take loose clothes.

In the booth, be generous with the barrier cream on elbows, knees etc. Don’t worry about having noticeable delineations between where you put the cream and where you don’t - I can honestly say I’ve never had issues with it whereas I have had buildup on my heels for example, from not using enough barrier cream. Then follow the instructions and as soon as you come out, wipe your palms and soles incredibly well. I do often feel a bit sweaty afterwards but it never seems to affect the outcome. Tbh even if I have a strap rubbing it doesn’t seem to matter much but loose clothes will be more comfy.

My personal approach, once home, is to wash my face with face wash and water. I use tanning drops for my face and worst comes to worst, I’d rather touch a paler face up with bronzer than look tangoed. I don’t fully trust the booth tan on my face

So then on your face, I’d recommend Tan Luxe drops with your normal moisturiser just before bed. (You can keep that topped up while on holiday.)

I would normally tan in the evening and wash off in the morning. It will mark your sheets but it washes out. In the shower you’ll be like 😱 when you see it wash off but don’t be alarmed, that’s just the colour marker.

On hols, I used to be strict about not going in the pool etc. and try to only use oil free moisturisers and sun cream, but tbh I can’t say I noticed a huge difference in longevity compared to when I just did whatever I felt like. Same for shaving - it doesn’t take it off. For me it goes a bit scaly on my chest after a while (ages though) and never works as well on my shoulders, but I can never tan my shoulders normally so I think that’s just a me thing. It genuinely lasts about ten days on me if I’ve exfoliated well in the run-up. Then I’d start to notice it on my towels after a shower a bit, and then I just buff a bit off each day til I’m ready to go again!

Good luck, it can be a bit of a faff but so worth it and means you don’t need to damage your skin by sunbathing! 🌞

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve got you covered babe. Pre covid I spray tanned from March to October every year and just started going again.

So - I love the Tanning Shop as they have cheap packages if you go on a non peak day (will vary by store but it’s like Sunday Monday Tuesday generally). Some of my friends swear by Secret Spa-type things where the technician comes to your house with a tent, and you leave it on less time, but for me that’s more expensive than I’m willing to pay for not much benefit.

IMHO you need to go to somewhere that does Versa Pro. In my experience it lasts way longer than Mystic or Sienna X and is less orange. Ask them for the clear one, otherwise you’ll look dark the second you walk out. (It won’t affect the final tan but preferably I just don’t like looking like I’ve had a spray tan five minutes ago!)

I’m blonde and fair, slash pale and sallow, but I do tan well albeit very slowly. I go for medium. I’ve also had dark. Never tried light or very dark - maybe others have? I will say, my natural tan colour tends to be on the orange side, as opposed to very dark, or very golden. You’d be good with light or medium I reckon.

Before you go, exfoliate well and try to not shower for a few hours beforehand. Don’t shave for 24 hours beforehand as the tan sinks into the follicles. Take loose clothes.

In the booth, be generous with the barrier cream on elbows, knees etc. Don’t worry about having noticeable delineations between where you put the cream and where you don’t - I can honestly say I’ve never had issues with it whereas I have had buildup on my heels for example, from not using enough barrier cream. Then follow the instructions and as soon as you come out, wipe your palms and soles incredibly well. I do often feel a bit sweaty afterwards but it never seems to affect the outcome. Tbh even if I have a strap rubbing it doesn’t seem to matter much but loose clothes will be more comfy.

My personal approach, once home, is to wash my face with face wash and water. I use tanning drops for my face and worst comes to worst, I’d rather touch a paler face up with bronzer than look tangoed. I don’t fully trust the booth tan on my face

So then on your face, I’d recommend Tan Luxe drops with your normal moisturiser just before bed. (You can keep that topped up while on holiday.)

I would normally tan in the evening and wash off in the morning. It will mark your sheets but it washes out. In the shower you’ll be like 😱 when you see it wash off but don’t be alarmed, that’s just the colour marker.

On hols, I used to be strict about not going in the pool etc. and try to only use oil free moisturisers and sun cream, but tbh I can’t say I noticed a huge difference in longevity compared to when I just did whatever I felt like. Same for shaving - it doesn’t take it off. For me it goes a bit scaly on my chest after a while (ages though) and never works as well on my shoulders, but I can never tan my shoulders normally so I think that’s just a me thing. It genuinely lasts about ten days on me if I’ve exfoliated well in the run-up. Then I’d start to notice it on my towels after a shower a bit, and then I just buff a bit off each day til I’m ready to go again!

Good luck, it can be a bit of a faff but so worth it and means you don’t need to damage your skin by sunbathing! 🌞
absolute angel, thank you 🙏

• Heart
Loving this thread . Can anyone recommend products for insanely dry feet . I do my hard skin weekly but tbh I think it’s making it worse . They are soooo dry and hard and look just awful 😞

Loving this thread . Can anyone recommend products for insanely dry feet . I do my hard skin weekly but tbh I think it’s making it worse . They are soooo dry and hard and look just awful 😞
Try "Allpresan Diabetic intensiv foam", if that's available for you? I got this as a goodie once after a pedi and they also used it during the pedi and it I've never come across a better moisturizing product for feet!

I’d recommend a good foot/callus peel first, the one by beauty pro is good! After you do that just let it do it’s thing and get rid of the dead skin! And then keep on top of it then with something like flexitol heel balm (i use this all over my feet not just the heel lol) or another lovely one is boots own brand deep moisturising foot cream, it’s smells so good and great price point at £3.99

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This foot file is insanely expensive but worth it. You can get replacement black bits. But they last ages.

This cream is good. But doubt I will repurchase. I prefer the one I mention below.

Weleda Skin Foot is the best cream I have Used on my feet. I am a walker and after a hard day’s walking this cream does the business at softening and reviving. Plus can be used anywhere else too. It is intensive so you only need a tad.

If you are interested in the Dabbs stuff, some other sites stock it, and you may be able to get it cheaper than from Dabbs direct.

Can anyone recommend a good curling wand? I bought the beauty works (ridiculously influenced!) and it’s rubbish doesn’t hold a curl at all, although apparently its good for hair with extensions….which I don’t have 🤣 I prefer a wand as opposed to a tong (with the clip part)

Can anyone recommend a good curling wand? I bought the beauty works (ridiculously influenced!) and it’s rubbish doesn’t hold a curl at all, although apparently its good for hair with extensions….which I don’t have 🤣 I prefer a wand as opposed to a tong (with the clip part)
I really like this one. It’s the only wand that I’ve used over the years that keeps a nice curl in my hair, but I like a loose curl so if you’re after something tighter it might not be for you

Attachments

Does anyone have any recomendations for hormonal acne? The week before I come on my period the same side of my chin is just awful. It really gets me down and make me feel so self conscious, I cant put make up on it as it makes it worse and looks crusty.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any recomendations for hormonal acne? The week before I come on my period the same side of my chin is just awful. It really gets me down and make me feel so self conscious, I cant put make up on it as it makes it worse and looks crusty.
Iv recommended Mario badescu drying lotion before and the poster had great success with it. As soon as you feel a spot coming up pop it on and it won't even turn into anything. If you put it on existing spots it will calm them down and literally clear them overnight. It's a bit more pricey but worth every penny. Lasts ages too.

Reactions: 5
A friend of mine used the skin&me stuff and it worked wonders for her. Might be worth a try if you can find one of those discount codes.

I used a foot peel that was recommended in this group! I think it was thread 1. It’s amazing!
I second this! I tried this after the first thread and it’s the best one I’ve ever tried. For foot moisturiser, try Flexitol (sp?).

Same, and I just can’t not pick them. Currently sporting a huge scab on my chin. I get so annoyed with myself. I want to try some of those zit patches to see if they help.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.