Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought something was off. Their website isnt showing loads of products. Shame.

BF77CA66-473A-4605-BAC5-C1FAF3E4C44C.jpg
The reasons.,,,

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I always find it sad when brands close down even if I’ve never purchased from them before. Both Smashbox and Glamglow have recently announced they’ll cease trading in the UK and Ireland at the end of September. I’ve never tried Smashbox and have only tried 2 masks from Glamglow which were ok, nothing special, but when I saw the announcement I was gutted!? Never tried Amanda Harrington tan but I’ve seen people rave about it on here and I’m now sad I won’t get to try it lol. Becca Cosmetics shut down but a few popular products were brought back by Smashbox, that’s obviously in the bin now. Bourjois left the UK then came back again. CYO was discontinued. 17 reappeared in Boots. Think there’s talks about Revlon going bankrupt, I honestly can’t keep up.

Hopefully no brands I like and use on a daily basis disappear..😩

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I always find it sad when brands close down even if I’ve never purchased from them before. Both Smashbox and Glamglow have recently announced they’ll cease trading in the UK and Ireland at the end of September. I’ve never tried Smashbox and have only tried 2 masks from Glamglow which were ok, nothing special, but when I saw the announcement I was gutted!? Never tried Amanda Harrington tan but I’ve seen people rave about it on here and I’m now sad I won’t get to try it lol. Becca Cosmetics shut down but a few popular products were brought back by Smashbox, that’s obviously in the bin now. Bourjois left the UK then came back again. CYO was discontinued. 17 reappeared in Boots. Think there’s talks about Revlon going bankrupt, I honestly can’t keep up.

Hopefully no brands I like and use on a daily basis disappear..😩
Yes, if you find something and its perfect for you, and they change the formulation or shade. I once used to use a No 7 tinted moisturiser. It was perfect for me. They changed it, shades were different plus packaging. Went online, saw it was still being sold in US in old formula. Was going to US, made my husband do a detour so we could go into a Target, and I bought 5 tubes. Now sadly used up and have been looking for a replacement ever since. I saw another one recommended - Sea Magik BB cream. Thought there was no way this bath range would have a good BB cream. They did. I bought 2 tubes in case it demised. It now has! Back to square one.

Same with my mascara and favourite blush.

Reactions: 3
Yes, if you find something and its perfect for you, and they change the formulation or shade. I once used to use a No 7 tinted moisturiser. It was perfect for me. They changed it, shades were different plus packaging. Went online, saw it was still being sold in US in old formula. Was going to US, made my husband do a detour so we could go into a Target, and I bought 5 tubes. Now sadly used up and have been looking for a replacement ever since. I saw another one recommended - Sea Magik BB cream. Thought there was no way this bath range would have a good BB cream. They did. I bought 2 tubes in case it demised. It now has! Back to square one.

Same with my mascara and favourite blush.
it’s annoying when your favourite products are discontinued. I used a setting spray by L’Oréal that had powder in it, was amazing at keeping makeup on my oily skin but they’ve stopped making it now and nothing has come close to it.

I tanned today (just the bits on show lol), painted my nails and toenails, trimmed the brows/peach fuzz, feel like a new woman!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
That’s why I never buy stuff from tk maxx, terrified of finding some amazing HG product that’s discontinued or from some faraway foreign land!

• Haha
Oh no about Smashbox. I’ve used their BB cream for absolutely ages. I’ve struggled to find it recently and noticed a lot about the brand has changed (or I thought was out of stock). I’m not in the UK, so I’m thinking Smashbox could be on its way out. I had to try and replicate the BB cream with Tarte brand

Came across this thread and I thought I would recommend my AFFORDABLE beauty favourites.

HAIRCARE:
1) Shampoo and conditioner- I haven’t found my favourites yet but the ones that work best for me are the L’Oréal elvive ones

2) Pre wash treatment- Either make your own hair mask at home (using coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil etc) or buy the rapunzel hair syrup. You can buy this on beauty bay, it makes my hair look healthier over time

3) Hair mask- The garnier hair food masks are so good. My personal favourite is the banana one

4) Hair serum- Hask argan hair oil is great to use every night on the ends of your hair or after you’ve come out the shower on wet hair

5) Clarifying shampoo- I do a deep clean of my scalp once or twice a month using the noughty detox dynamo shampoo

6) Hair tools- Mark Hill hair curlers and Remington straighteners

MAKEUP:
1) Foundation- L’Oréal true match foundation but I don't wear foundation much so it’s not a favourite of mine

2) Concealer- Maybelline fit me if you love medium coverage, lightweight and creamy concealers. Less is more guys, heavy concealers can look too cakey under the eyes

3) Powder- Maybelline fit me compact powder. Use a triangle powder puff too!! You can find them on Amazon

4) Eyebrows- Elf brow pencils and their wow brow gel. Nyx do good brow pencils too

5) Mascara- L’Oréal telescopic (gold packaging) and Maybelline lash sensational (original) make my eyelashes look long and fluttery. If you are after volume, then go for the essence lash princess (green packaging)

6) Blush- Haven’t found a drugstore favourite yet! I caved in and got the rare beauty liquid blush and it’s so good. That can be classed as affordable if you consider that it will probably last you a lifetime 😂

7) Highlighter- The best natural looking, glow from within highlighter is the wet n wild mega glo highlighter. Not glittery at all

8) Bronzer- No drugstore favourites sadly, just using a rimmel natural bronzer

9) Lips- Nyx lip liners. Maybelline lifter gloss and my favourite glosses of all time are the essence shine shine shine lipglosses. You can get them from Wilkos for £2. They are so so shiny. Also, I LOVE the burts bees tinted lip balm in the shade red dahlia. This gives such a nice tint and you can use it both on no makeup days or full makeup days. Only £5 from boots and Amazon. I sometimes put it on my cheeks too

10) Setting spray- I literally get rose water which is 60p, put that in a spray bottle and spray my face 😂

SKINCARE:
1) First cleanse- I am yet to find my favourite drugstore cleansing balm so garnier micellar water is great as a first cleanse

2) Second cleanse- Cerave hydrating cleanser leaves the skin so smooth and clean. No tight feeling after

3) Serum- The Inkey list niacinamide is great at reducing whiteheads. Hyaluronic acid is good too but a lot of other skincare products have it so I feel there’s no need to get a separate serum for it

4) Eyes- The ordinary caffeine solution is great for puffiness, not sure about dark circles. Also, the etude house my lash serum works so well at growing your lashes out! Literally like £3

5) Moisturiser- Haven’t found my favourite yet but the elf holy hydration creams are quite good and lightweight

6) Lips- I swear by Vaseline. Use a thick layer every morning and night, overtime your lips will get softer. Also, the lush lip scrubs are great to exfoliate your lips

7) Face mask- I don’t use face masks often but I really like the simple and garnier sheet masks

BODYCARE:
1) I recommend Dove body cream, body wash and body scrub. They work so well, especially together. Also, use the dove beauty bar on your body and then use a body wash after. This leaves your skin feeling softer and smelling amazing

2) Deodrant- Mitchum deodorants are hands down the best. No sweating or BO from this at all. Use deodorant before you go to bed too, it makes such a difference

3) Razors- Gillette mens razors!! They work so much better than women razors. And use conditioner or coconut oil to shave, don’t waste money on shaving cream

4) Fragrance- The best affordable ones are either Ariana Grande ones or ones from Zara (especially their dupes)

I think that’s all 🥰

Came across this thread and I thought I would recommend my AFFORDABLE beauty favourites.

HAIRCARE:
1) Shampoo and conditioner- I haven’t found my favourites yet but the ones that work best for me are the L’Oréal elvive ones

2) Pre wash treatment- Either make your own hair mask at home (using coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil etc) or buy the rapunzel hair syrup. You can buy this on beauty bay, it makes my hair look healthier over time

3) Hair mask- The garnier hair food masks are so good. My personal favourite is the banana one

4) Hair serum- Hask argan hair oil is great to use every night on the ends of your hair or after you’ve come out the shower on wet hair

5) Clarifying shampoo- I do a deep clean of my scalp once or twice a month using the noughty detox dynamo shampoo

6) Hair tools- Mark Hill hair curlers and Remington straighteners

MAKEUP:
1) Foundation- L’Oréal true match foundation but I don't wear foundation much so it’s not a favourite of mine

2) Concealer- Maybelline fit me if you love medium coverage, lightweight and creamy concealers. Less is more guys, heavy concealers can look too cakey under the eyes

3) Powder- Maybelline fit me compact powder. Use a triangle powder puff too!! You can find them on Amazon

4) Eyebrows- Elf brow pencils and their wow brow gel. Nyx do good brow pencils too

5) Mascara- L’Oréal telescopic (gold packaging) and Maybelline lash sensational (original) make my eyelashes look long and fluttery. If you are after volume, then go for the essence lash princess (green packaging)

6) Blush- Haven’t found a drugstore favourite yet! I caved in and got the rare beauty liquid blush and it’s so good. That can be classed as affordable if you consider that it will probably last you a lifetime 😂

7) Highlighter- The best natural looking, glow from within highlighter is the wet n wild mega glo highlighter. Not glittery at all

8) Bronzer- No drugstore favourites sadly, just using a rimmel natural bronzer

9) Lips- Nyx lip liners. Maybelline lifter gloss and my favourite glosses of all time are the essence shine shine shine lipglosses. You can get them from Wilkos for £2. They are so so shiny. Also, I LOVE the burts bees tinted lip balm in the shade red dahlia. This gives such a nice tint and you can use it both on no makeup days or full makeup days. Only £5 from boots and Amazon. I sometimes put it on my cheeks too

10) Setting spray- I literally get rose water which is 60p, put that in a spray bottle and spray my face 😂

SKINCARE:
1) First cleanse- I am yet to find my favourite drugstore cleansing balm so garnier micellar water is great as a first cleanse

2) Second cleanse- Cerave hydrating cleanser leaves the skin so smooth and clean. No tight feeling after

3) Serum- The Inkey list niacinamide is great at reducing whiteheads. Hyaluronic acid is good too but a lot of other skincare products have it so I feel there’s no need to get a separate serum for it

4) Eyes- The ordinary caffeine solution is great for puffiness, not sure about dark circles. Also, the etude house my lash serum works so well at growing your lashes out! Literally like £3

5) Moisturiser- Haven’t found my favourite yet but the elf holy hydration creams are quite good and lightweight

6) Lips- I swear by Vaseline. Use a thick layer every morning and night, overtime your lips will get softer. Also, the lush lip scrubs are great to exfoliate your lips

7) Face mask- I don’t use face masks often but I really like the simple and garnier sheet masks

BODYCARE:
1) I recommend Dove body cream, body wash and body scrub. They work so well, especially together. Also, use the dove beauty bar on your body and then use a body wash after. This leaves your skin feeling softer and smelling amazing

2) Deodrant- Mitchum deodorants are hands down the best. No sweating or BO from this at all. Use deodorant before you go to bed too, it makes such a difference

3) Razors- Gillette mens razors!! They work so much better than women razors. And use conditioner or coconut oil to shave, don’t waste money on shaving cream

4) Fragrance- The best affordable ones are either Ariana Grande ones or ones from Zara (especially their dupes)

I think that’s all 🥰
I forgot sunscreen. The MOST important part of your skincare routine. The best sunscreen is the Garnier sun protection fluid. On offer for £6 on look fantastic. It is so lightweight, doesn’t leave a white cast, non greasy or sticky. Make sure to apply every single day

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I have been using M&S lemon body butter for ages but they have now decided to stop selling it. It is such a lovely soft scent and I’m not keen on the others. Was £8 a pot too so a good price. Anyone able to recommend something else in same price area

Love this list. Just wanted to second the Vaseline bit! Especially the stuff in the plastic tub, as opposed to the little tins. It seems to be formulated differently and is so moisturising. I wouldn’t be without it. Also, for some reason lip gloss looks terrible on me so I never wear it but a bit of Vaseline looks fab there too!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have been using M&S lemon body butter for ages but they have now decided to stop selling it. It is such a lovely soft scent and I’m not keen on the others. Was £8 a pot too so a good price. Anyone able to recommend something else in same price area
I’ve not tried this, but found this alternative it’s £4.99 for the Pride version which you could try to see if it’s a suitable alternative?

Amazon product

Reactions: 1
If anyone is looking for a dupe of the dior lip oil, collections lip spa oil in the shade “red glow” is nice. Make sure to get that specific shade though, it’s only £4 too!

• Heart
I’m over here like “lemmmeeee go get a notebook and write all this down” like I’m in school 😂😂

Love this list. Just wanted to second the Vaseline bit! Especially the stuff in the plastic tub, as opposed to the little tins. It seems to be formulated differently and is so moisturising. I wouldn’t be without it. Also, for some reason lip gloss looks terrible on me so I never wear it but a bit of Vaseline looks fab there too!
yesssss I found my people! The bigger tub is THE ONE. The small “travel” one is so much more waxy and hard. I keep the “lip balm” package tube one in my wallet but if I’m traveling I have to bring the big tub, no exceptions,I literally set an alarm an hour before leaving so I don’t forget it I’m that crazy LOL.

• Haha
  • Heart
I really enjoy people listing their favourite products, so I'll add mine here, maybe it's helpful - I saw some great products recommended on here already!

Cleanser - I loved the Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash. It's very affordable as well. They no longer sell the brand here and I'm now using the CeraVe moisturizing cleanser. It's great and while the price seems a bit steeper at first, the bottle is huge and for the amount you get, it's quite cheap. I use it morning and evenings, doesn't dry out and it makes a great shaving lotion as well. I used the CeraVe SA cleanser before, as I thought that it would be a better fit for my combo skin, but this one is even better. The Ordinary's Squalane Cleanser also is great and if I would wear more make-up, I'd buy it again as it was the best to remove mascara without needing to faff with multiple cleansers.

Moisturizer - again, loved Simple Light Moisturizer, but as it is no more, I use The Ordinary NMF + HA most days. Especially the bigger tub they sell is really affordable. If I could still get the Simple one for a reasonable price though, I'd buy that.

Sunscreen - I'm cursed with slight hyperpigmentation, and I use some acid products, so I'm always wearing sunscreen. The best ever is Bioré Sun Watery Essence SPF 50, it is very light, leaves no cast at all, and doesn't sting in the eyes. Unfortunately, I've recently had trouble repurchasing it. I'm now using CosrX Soothing Aloe Sunscreen SPF 50, which is just a tad too rich for my skin, but otherwise, it's a great one and I'm sure it'll be even nicer in cooler weather. Nivea also makes a mattifying one that I really rate.

Masks - I have the Repair Mask by Reviderm, got it from my esthetician and it's the bomb. It heats up on your face for a few minutes and then cools down again. You look like a crab for a moment as your face gets really really red, but afterward, the skin is much plumber than before and I swear breakouts heal much faster.
I also use the Ordinary 30% AHA + 2% BHA peeling solution when I remember (maybe once a month) - it's okay, but I can't leave it on for the ten minutes they recommend, five is good for me. Probably won't repurchase this one.
Simple also makes a great sheet mask, anti-pollution mask. That thing was a life-saver after a camping weekend with a campfire, and very hot weather, and my skin felt like sandpaper.

Foundation - when I want to look really really polished, the best one is Missha Perfect Cover for me. You need to work it in well, but then it sits on your skin and looks extremely nice. Needs to be scrubbed off well though. For every day, when I bother with it, Chrimaluxe Mineral Foundation is nice. Easy to apply, looks very good and no worries about smudging it or staining clothes.

Powder - Since some parts of my face are greasy, I use powder every day. I've been using 100% real silk powder for several years and I highly rate it. It's cheaper overall, has zero irritation, and leaves a nice, smooth finish, but it's not cakey. I can't say how it would work on deeper skin tones. I'm light with a touch of olive in it and it doesn't wash me out or greyish. I also like to use it to set deodorant when it's really really hot or after shaving.

Shower gel - I stopped using shower gel a few years ago and use soap bars instead. Skin-wise the best I ever sued was Aleppo soap, but the smell is a bit weird. The cheapest and nicest smelling is the Dove Beauty bar. Lovely, lasting smell and it makes my skin smooth. Works out cheaper than the gel as well, the bars last quite long.

• Heart
I read every single page of both these threads and spent £200 on asos and Amazon this morning because of it!

my contribution is;
Tape beauty bay extensions, last about a year and get maintenance every 8 weeks, it actually makes it take less time to do my hair daily as it disguises my hard to manage natural hair. I’ve tried pretty much every method and tapes are easily my favourite.
Ombré brow tattooed topped up every 2 years- so worth it and they last ages! I got mine done originally with Clarissa Stephania and love them.
Fillers once a year- 1ml lips, 1.8ml cheeks, 1ml chin and about 0.2ml tip lift in my nose- makes a nice subtle difference to my face and saves me contouring on the rare occasions I do full make up
Botox- only had it done once but planning on doing it every 4/6 months- 2 area brow lift- more a preventative measure!
Lash extensions every 2 weeks- makes me feel so much more put together- also I have a ridiculous looking eye mask for sleeping which has room for the lashes which helps them last longer
Pedicure every 3 months- always white varnish
Acrylic nails every 3 weeks- always get natural pink colour stiletto ones
Crest white strips are amazing for whitening teeth!
Laser hair removal on my underarms and Brazilian- had about 5 treatments so far, made such a difference! I struggled with ingrown hairs on my bikini line before and my body doesn’t like waxes.
For skincare, Paula’s choice liquid exfoliator is really good. Also Revolution do their own version of the Mario Badescu drying lotion which is great for spots. I use the Kiel's oil free moisturiser which I also think is great. Lush lip scrub is also fab, I use it every day before I use my lip oil. On holiday or when my skin is extra dry, I use the Skin Food moisturiser in the green bottle- only ever overnight though, it makes me look very greasy but is great for extra moisture then wiped off when I wake up.
For hair, the TIGI oatmeal and honey shampoo and conditioner is great for mid-range. Smells amazing too.
Daily for work I just use a tinted moisturiser, brow gel and coconut lip oil (the shein one is actually really great).
Cloud 9 extra wide straighteners are so worth the cost imo, I straighten then curl my hair after I wash it once a week. The ColourWow style on steroids spray really helps them hold until the next wash day.
For makeup, honestly the Revolution foundation is the best out of any I’ve tried, even high end ones. I also really rate the RCMA no colour powder, and urban decay primer. Charlotte tilbury setting spray also works well for me.

Also I think I’m the only person ever that doesn’t rate the Brazilian Bum Bum cream or their body spray- smells lovely but just doesn’t last at all.

Lastly I go on holiday quite often and tan well but I do use sunbeds in between, the Australian gold tan accelerator is great. I know, they’re awful for you, I try to keep it to a minimum.

I second what others have said about having an organised/clean house, car and handbag- makes me feel a lot less chaotic.

I sound mega high maintenance but honestly I feel so much more organised and put together in myself when I do all these things!

Now, I have questions… does anyone have any hidden gems for body acne, specifically shoulders? I have one patch that just won’t budge! Also I have a couple of marks on my chest from dermal piercings I’ve had before, any good tips on how to make them heal faster other than bio oil? Also, I use face wipes every day before bed, is there a better alternative? And finally, the best heat protection spray for hair? Thanks to anyone who can help!!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Also, I use face wipes every day before bed, is there a better alternative? And finally, the best heat protection spray for hair? Thanks to anyone who can help!!
I never use face wipes, I don’t think they remove much, just smear it all around the face! If I’m wearing full make up I like Body Shop’s camomile make up remover, it just melts make up away so quickly, then a hot cloth cleanser to actually cleanse. Liz Earle is good but expensive, Aldi do a Vitamin C hot cloth cleanser which is cheap and almost as good imo. If I’m not wearing make up, I just use the hot cloth cleanser to clean my face.

Reactions: 7
I read every single page of both these threads and spent £200 on asos and Amazon this morning because of it!

my contribution is;
Tape beauty bay extensions, last about a year and get maintenance every 8 weeks, it actually makes it take less time to do my hair daily as it disguises my hard to manage natural hair. I’ve tried pretty much every method and tapes are easily my favourite.
Ombré brow tattooed topped up every 2 years- so worth it and they last ages! I got mine done originally with Clarissa Stephania and love them.
Fillers once a year- 1ml lips, 1.8ml cheeks, 1ml chin and about 0.2ml tip lift in my nose- makes a nice subtle difference to my face and saves me contouring on the rare occasions I do full make up
Botox- only had it done once but planning on doing it every 4/6 months- 2 area brow lift- more a preventative measure!
Lash extensions every 2 weeks- makes me feel so much more put together- also I have a ridiculous looking eye mask for sleeping which has room for the lashes which helps them last longer
Laser hair removal on my underarms and Brazilian- had about 5 treatments so far, made such a difference! I struggled with ingrown hairs on my bikini line before and my body doesn’t like waxes.
For skincare, Paula’s choice liquid exfoliator is really good. Also Revolution do their own version of the Mario Badescu drying lotion which is great for spots. I use the Kiel's oil free moisturiser which I also think is great. Lush lip scrub is also fab, I use it every day before I use my lip oil. On holiday or when my skin is extra dry, I use the Skin Food moisturiser in the green bottle- only ever overnight though, it makes me look very greasy but is great for extra moisture then wiped off when I wake up.
For hair, the TIGI oatmeal and honey shampoo and conditioner is great for mid-range. Smells amazing too.
Daily for work I just use a tinted moisturiser, brow gel and coconut lip oil (the shein one is actually really great).
Cloud 9 extra wide straighteners are so worth the cost imo, I straighten then curl my hair after I wash it once a week. The ColourWow style on steroids spray really helps them hold until the next wash day.
For makeup, honestly the Revolution foundation is the best out of any I’ve tried, even high end ones. I also really rate the RCMA no colour powder, and urban decay primer. Charlotte tilbury setting spray also works well for me.

Also I think I’m the only person ever that doesn’t rate the Brazilian Bum Bum cream or their body spray- smells lovely but just doesn’t last at all.

Lastly I go on holiday quite often and tan well but I do use sunbeds in between, the Australian gold tan accelerator is great. I know, they’re awful for you, I try to keep it to a minimum.

I second what others have said about having an organised/clean house, car and handbag- makes me feel a lot less chaotic.

I sound mega high maintenance but honestly I feel so much more organised and put together in myself when I do all these things!

Now, I have questions… does anyone have any hidden gems for body acne, specifically shoulders? I have one patch that just won’t budge! Also I have a couple of marks on my chest from dermal piercings I’ve had before, any good tips on how to make them heal faster other than bio oil? Also, I use face wipes every day before bed, is there a better alternative? And finally, the best heat protection spray for hair? Thanks to anyone who can help!!
I feel like I would look a hot mess next to you. I would love to have a regime like this but I can’t afford the maintenance.

Reactions: 11

my contribution is;

I get back acne quite easily and I would highly recommend tea tree oil body wash or scrub to keep new spots from appearing. I go between the australian bodycare tea tree wash or the body shop tea tree one (a bit cheaper). They're great if you have oily or acne prone skin, I use a body scrub or exfoliating mitts to get all the dead skin off also. I rarely get outbreaks anymore, my only problem is I'm now left with old back acne scars they seem to take ages to fade :( I also avoid the typical shower gels/body wash that are heavily fragranced as I think this aggravates my skin.

Also I'm addicted to lash extensions currently giving my lashes a break until my friend's wedding in a few weeks and I feel so weird without them :(

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.