Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Codiaeum

VIP Member
Do we have a thread on household tips, similar to this one?
I totally second that a nice home makes me feel better (though I can't bring myself to iron my clothes)!

• Heart
Reactions: 14

House of Tea

VIP Member
Perfume - always wear it. I use dupe sites to see if I’ll like something before committing to a £100 bottle. Not those mlm ones! There’s some decent dupe houses. I have tonnes now for hardly any £.
These are not dupes, but the real thing…they are excellent for trying expensive perfumes, or for travel sizes, or if you are a magpie for fragrance - you don’t have to spend big bucks for a massive bottle. Sure, they decant in basic bottles but they are real. I have used them a few times. I did my research and they are legit, not fake perfumes.

• Heart

wafflesnwings

VIP Member
A few pages back someone mentioned Cherry Smoothie from Zara and the nail polish shade colour Cupcake from Barry M. I've tried them both out this week and love them so much! Thank you for suggesting them (I'm sorry for not remembering who) ❤

• Heart

DLMM4129

Not sure if I’m late to the party with this but I’ve just seen on feel unique that you can order 5 samples a month for £3.95 postage. Might be a way of trying products out, think I’m going to order some samples later. Going to post this to the honest skincare thread too!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Branched

I wonder if this smells similar to Lost Cherry? I love that, but not the price! I’m going to check the Zara one out, thanks for sharing 🍒

View attachment 1422546
Full disclosure I don't have either, but was looking at Zara perfumes a few days ago and came across this website which lists it as a dupe for Lost Cherry! Might be helpful for others looking at the Zara perfumes too, I'm tempted to buy one or two for everyday wear

• Heart
I had a jam reading thread #1 and this one. Almost all the things I love to do as a regular beauty/polish beauty routine has been said and done :D so I'm keeping the rest and sharing this:

1. I apply castor oil on my eye lashes and eyebrows at night.
2. My favorite serum is from Lancome: Genifique. I'm 34 y/o and people won't believe my age. This serum is responsible for it! :cool:
3. I apply this serum on my hands and neck.
4. I use supplements such as vit c and green juices with protein, collagen, etc.
5. I drink tea almost every morning. When not I do #4.
6. UNPOPULAR: I don't wash my face every morning. Sometimes I just wash with fresh water and apply my serum and moisturizer. Why? Because I don't want to get rid of natural oils that are essential for your skin. This has work for me since my logic told me so. Have in mind that I don't have skin issues.
7. Coffee is a good face scrub: I discovered it when hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico and I could not use soap because water was very scarce.
8. I don't like to iron my clothes (takes too much time), so I bought a steamer instead.
9. I more on the side of "clean beauty" than the regular beauty products.
10. Organic is the real luxury (controversial, but i have noticed the difference in some food/home cleaning products specially on my hands).

I don't know if it against the rules but I have a blog and if someone has a blog to share their beauty lifestyle i would love to binge read!

👓 I am not so much into videos, but i do love blogging
♥

Does anyone have any hair tips at all? I'm good for the first week after getting it professionally done but after that I can never tame it.
It's so thick, wavy and feels so heavy so I'm constantly wearing it up in a messy bun.
I've tried the curly girl method as my hair curls when it's wet, but the next morning it's a bushy riot. Takes me a good 20 mins to straighten it but slightest bit of humidity it feels out of control and I tie it up.
I've had layers cut in, some weight cut off and the back thinned out.

Ideally I'm really wanting to grow it (so I can do more hairstyles etc) but want it to look day to day life and look like I've actually made some sort of effort!
If you have very thick hair try smaller sections so the result is more sleek and shiny. That is how I keep my hair at least 5 days straightened. Olaplex #3 has helped and keratin boosters at home.

I have the Philips Lumea and love it. I bought it in summer 2019, did however many recommended initial sessions and then barely needed to use it after that. I don’t think I’ve touched it in 18 months. I’m not sure it’s marketed as permanent hair removal but I’ve seen hardly any regrowth.

I am also very pale with dark hair which definitely helped.
I have the peachy skin brand and it has worked very well on me. Patches of hair not growing in different parts of my legs.

Last edited:

AFlyOnYourWall

VIP Member
I wanna have a bikini wax before my holiday but last time I had one (years ago) I came up in big red hot bumps where the hair had been ripped out. I don’t know if I was allergic to the wax or if my skin (quite rightly) doesn’t like having the hair ripped out at the root. I went Brazilian too so my entire ‘region’ was very angry!

Anyone else had this? Should I try again? She used hot wax and a spatula.
Fuck it, just go with a full grown bush 😂

I’ve been following this thread with interest from the beginning and I’m loving the tips! Over the past few years I’ve really upped my game as I work in the forefront of a company and I need to look groomed although I’m pretty lazy. Here are my tips -

- fake tan will give you a healthy glow instantly. I use TanLuxe drops in winter to build up a colour, and Bondi Sands during the warmer months

- make up - others have mentioned Bourjeoius makeup and I rate it! Also Elf eyebrow pencils are great and Maybelline lip gloss is fab. I don’t over do it, just a eyebrows, a cat flick eyeliner, mascara, bronzer, blusher and a bit of gloss. Takes 10 mins

-I have thick and curly hair and recently bought a Babyliss hot air brush. Game changer. I use it once a week after I wash my hair,then use a satin bonnet every night. Literally perfect hair for a week and takes 30 mins to do. A bit of serum keeps it tame!

- I’ve had my brows laminated a few times then tried with a kit off Amazon and did it just as well. £12 for multiple uses rather than £45 a time

- I don’t have time for manicures so I do my cuticles and file once a week, and use Barry M air polish in cupcake. 2 coats last a week and if it chips it’s not noticeable. It’s way better than YSL and Chanel which I used to buy and it’s like £3

- keep your hair close to your natural colour. I have a balayage and if it lightens too much, I darken the roots with a root smudge. It’s low maintenance!

- keep your clothes neutral so you can create a capsule wardrobe. I wear neutrals and classic cuts so everything is interchangeable. I tend to buy H&M and Zara and dress it up with a designer handbag (or a good quality leather one.) People notice cheap shoes and bags - they’re always a giveaway so spend more on them and team them with cheaper basics

- I’ve started getting Botox and filler. Very subtle but has totally changed my face and given me so much more confidence! I don’t want to look younger, I just want to look a good version of me

- use Tretinoin. I’ve been using it for 2 years via skin and me and it’s miracle stuff! It’s totally transformed my skin. For cleansing I use their cleanser but Cerave is very good and cheap. Same with their moisturiser. Also double cleanse but you don’t need expensive products, just something with tretinoin, azalic acid and niacimide. Maybe a bit of vitamin c serum in the morning but ALWAYS spf 50! If I could turn back time I’d be dowsing myself in it from my teens! No point using retinol other than tretinoin in my opinion - it’s just not strong enough.

- look after your teeth! They’re a dead giveaway to your health. I’ve now got Invisalign and wish I’d got them years ago. I want good, natural looking teeth, not big white gnashers, which Invisalign, a bit of composite bonding and white will give me

- I’m blessed with whiskers and a tash so I’ve started dermaplaning. Takes a few minutes every few days and it’s fab. I buy a big pack of razors from Amazon

- Leg/bikini hair, I shave. I used to wax but it’s finding the time and living with regrowth. If I do it every day it takes minutes. For my bum I use hair removal cream once a week

- a spritz of perfume speaks volumes. I wear Dior, Chanel and Diptyque

I think that’s all 😂 I do sound high maintenance but I promise I’m not - these are all easy things and without blowing my own trumpet, even pre Botox people commented they thought I was 10 years younger than I am.
I wish I had the commitment that you do 😂 what hair removal cream do you use on your backside? I feel like I’m stroking a cat every time I touch mine 😩

• Haha

House of Tea

VIP Member
I used to own 300 plus nail polishes at one time (now I own none!). I had the Chanel’s, Tom Fords, Marc Jacobs, Nars, Essie, Ciate, etc but the best ones in my experience are OPI, Maybelline Stay Perfect (or whatever it is called these days - superb staying power especially on toes - limited colour range - they used to do a Rouge Noir dupe) and Primark! Chanels were not worth the money. Chip to buggery, in their case you really are paying for the name.

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
Bourjois, which was withdrawn from UK sale a few years back, is now being sold in Superdrug. Some people used to rave about some of the foundations and the little pots of blusher - they will happy to see it’s return. It used to be owned by same company as Chanel but I don’t think it is anymore.

• Heart

JustmeKC

VIP Member
I love this thread! I have taken some tips from the previous one and this one, whilst going through a particularly rough time and really not feeling like my best self, I’ve always struggled with my weight but atm I feel so awful and uncomfortable 😣 I love the idea of self care and want to put it into practise but to me that just means a bath lol 😆 with some nice body wash. Tonight, I’ve got a face mask and I’m gonna dermaplan my face again and slather on some body lotion and foot lotion! Little steps to overhaul how I’m feeling. Thank you all.
oh - question - does anyone here use Lush for skincare? I was given some freebies and really liked them. Would like others’ opinions please.
Face mask, dermaplaning & slathering on various lotions sounds blissful! Put on your favourite music, get a posh glass and fill it with something (even sparkling water!) and just Enjoy it :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12

xbxbx

Chatty Member
Has anyone tried the Boots Ingredients range?
Yes, I LOVE it. I’ve actually replaced a lot of my previous more expensive products with stuff from this range. Boots skincare is seriously underrated.

I currently have: niacinamide serum, collagen serum, retinol night moisturiser, retinol serum, retinol eye cream, caffeine eye cream, lactic acid serum.

From their other ranges I have: vitamin C face wash, vitamin C moisturiser, vitamin C body gel cream, glow eye cream, collagen night moisturiser, glycolic acid body moisturiser

I think that’s everything! I might have missed a product or two as I’ve done this from memory but either way it’s easy to see that I’m a fan lol. My skin has never looked better since using their products and I can easily introduce something new without it breaking me out or causing a reaction. Highly recommend!

• Heart
What works for me in an everyday sense:
  • Wear only one pattern at a time - e.g., if you love animal print, pick just one item with it on (bag, shoes, jacket) and make sure everything else is a single colour from that - if you're not sure, go with black.
  • Keep jewellery to a minimum - earrings or necklace, not both (keep that for formal wear). Don't wear multiple rings (especially not stacked up all on the same finger) and lots of jingly bracelets. Simplicity is key.
  • Iron and/or steam everything (with the exception of underwear). Sometimes the iron won't shift stubborn creases from linen or stiff cotton, so I'll finish off with a good steam. I bought my steamer from Kmart NZ for $60-odd and it's the best thing ever. You can pick them up on secondhand marketplaces cheaply as a lot of people buy them, intending to use them, but they end up in the back of a cupboard. You don't need to spend a lot of money on an iron, but something with steam and self-cleaning functions is advisable.
  • Makeup: make a feature of eyes or lips, not both.
  • If you wear a really short skirt, wear a high neck top. If you wear a low cut top, wear something long on the bottom.
  • Invest in a session with a stylist to learn what 'your colours' are and what fits look good on you (a real-life Trinny and Susannah-type person). You don't have to spend a lot of money to look great; in fact, a lot of people spend far too much money on things that look terrible on them because they don't suit the colour or fit, or succumb to what's trendy.
  • Buy a few scarves - they can transform an outfit very simply (look up ways to tie them on YouTube).
  • Look to someone who you think always looks great and emulate what they do.

• Heart

EddyDarling

VIP Member
I'm back with more news of beauty deals

Allbeauty has got an overnight sale on, I've just ordered Olaplex no.3 for £15

• Wow

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I am sure you are all super savvy when it comes to review sites, but these are the ones I use a lot

https://www.temptalia.com/ - good for dupes and comparison

https://www.makeupalley.com/ reviews on everything

https://www.fragrantica.com/ Perfume reviews

Findation (matching you to your foundation shade in a different brand based on the one you use) is good too.

• Heart

Gold_7

Chatty Member
Hello, new to the thread but been reading it and loving all the ideas.

I definitely agree about the lash lift and tint, it changes my whole face. I also get my brows threaded and tinted.
I get Crest white strips from here: https://thewhitesmiles.co.uk/

I now approach hair care the same way I approach skin care. Meaning I actually think about it and try to take care of it!

Unfortunately, unlike skin care, where I have found amazing products at great prices (mainly from The Inkey List at the moment) I have found that more expensive hair care makes a massive difference to my hair. I have blonde balayage/ root melt and my hair needs love. I have started using kerastase products, as well a blue matrix shampoo and conditioner once every ten days or so. I used to use L’Oréal from Superdrug or wherever and i am so surprised at the difference.

I have a couple of different hair masques which I rotate, according to what my hair seems to need. I also use the olaplex bond repair regularly. I wash my hair, use a micro fibre hair towel (a must) let it air dry a bit then use a kerastase cream. Rough dry with a hairdryer then GHDs. I use L’Oréal mythic oil last. That’s my hair grooming and it works for me!

Feel Unique and Look Fantastic have discounts sometimes but Kerastase and olaplex etc is still pricey. But honestly I’ve found worth it. My hair was breaking off so much before but I’ve found it’s got better the more I’ve paid attention

I’m planning to get some Botox at the end of the year if I can afford it. I’ve had some fillers in the past and loved it (lips and cheek). No one noticed but me but I don’t care lol.

I think it’s important to find a look you like and what works for you and make the most of your own individuality. I feel more confident of my own little grooming routine since I don’t follow trends.