Jack Monroe #108 You’re really good on camera mate, honestly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's the weekend and that normally means more chaos but yesterday what quite a lot, so, we'll see.

Regards,
Emmer_moans, BA, FA, HOHIOE, PDYSL, SADS, PGAD, ECZ, AstMa.

BA degree, Food Allergies, Hard of Hearing in One Ear, Probably dyslexic (coped through school, I struggle still), Seasonal Affective Disorder, probable General Anxiety Disorder for which should really get a diagnosis as it gets quite bad, Eczema, Asthmatic.

From reading this thread it seems we all have something we are dealing with whether mental or physical. We don't define ourselves with the letters of it really. Yes visibility of conditions needs to happen, but not in the way Jack does where she self diagnoses and adopts stereotypical behaviours for 1) attention and 2) excuses 3) immunity from criticism. It harms the very perception of people truly suffering with these things.

Reactions: 60
I would like to second this. Thank god for you guys as where I am just now, I need to see the positive, rational, realistic, non-judgmental, non-controversial honesty that you mothering bunch of ninnies give so freely.

I think Jack is dangerous with her “tweet first, think later” and the fact she blames a lot of her defects of character on medical conditions is sickening.

I have had the longest visit from the black dog in a long time, and it’s still bounding about looking a bit like that drawing I’ve shared. It’s funny, when I’m in here cracking crappy jokes and overusing the gifs, I start to doubt that I’m depressed because I wouldn’t be able to do that surely? But this is my escape and I love the wit, the honesty, the sheep...all of it. Well, not her pictures of food because, .

Reactions: 114
So do we think she's going to do the heroic expedition to Asda tomorrow? £20 shop Jack is the Jack I hate most, she gives me the Sunday rage .

Reactions: 61
So do we think she's going to do the heroic expedition to Asda tomorrow? £20 shop Jack is the Jack I hate most, she gives me the Sunday rage .
My prediction: no, but she'll post on the 30th crowing about how little she's spent this month.

Reactions: 48
WTF?!!!!!
Honestly, I missed like 2 days.
How does she not exhaust herself! She must be so sick of herself.

Reactions: 41
I’m overly annoyed by how she chooses to do the shop on a Sunday when as a self employed person who is at home during the week she can shop on literally any other day she chooses. Shopping on a Sunday is awful, there’s so many people trying to get round the store due to the reduced hours.

It doesn’t even make sense with her apparent need to get the best yellow sticker deals - she could go on a weekday evening and there would be plenty of things in the reduced aisle. She could do it when SB is with his father so child care wouldn’t be an issue

Of all the heinous things Jack does for some reason it’s the most blatantly impractical things that anger me the most (though not more than stealing from people on benefits I should add of course)

Reactions: 57
After all that chaos, my money is on SHE LEFT (I know that doesn’t make grammatical sense, but wanted to stay on brand!)
Completely agree. I suspect SHE arrived at Shitty Bungalow to find Jack doing her version Father Ted's Golden Cleric acceptance speech and did a swift about turn, merrily lobbing truth bombs as she went. Now we are plunged into SHE LEFT II: The Howling Intensifies.

I predict we're in for one hell of a festive season. Will Jack invade Scotland again or will Northern Ireland be gifted the opportunity to sidle up to Jack in a branch of Sainsburys? Will she sit on a sideboard again? When will she drop her new disability activist persona? How many ouchies will she wail through? What will she claw? Will Christmas dinner be ingested through a straw? Only the wallpaper knows what that weird little brain will throw up next.

Reactions: 69
Suddenly Nicola closing the Scottish Border makes sense... She's heard a SHE LEFT is in progress and wants to protect the good folk of Scotland from another Mackie incursion

Reactions: 66

Oh, I forgot about my Tinnitus when I twatted about with the wanky letters. And the allergies. And the dermatographia/possible mast cell fuck up that means taking any medication is 100% 'Do I really need to take this? What do I do if I have an allergic reaction to it?', taking it only when Mr D is around, there is a handy supply of antihistamines and timed for when it's most likely an ambulance could get here quickly and 1% of 'Good grief. I'm not having a reaction to this one. Let's add it to the list of things I can take' and about 60% of 'Oh, for fuck's sake. WHY AM I ALLERGIC TO THIS NOW?' and taking it off the list of things I'm able to take.

And the Psoriasis (remembered the Psoriatic Arthritis, though).

Probably because a) I was a bit tired from a week at work and b) because they don't have convenient little acronyms, so wouldn't fit in a tweet. And c) because there isn't enough time in the day or space in my head to give everything its time in the spotlight.

I do mutter 'FFS, it would be easier to say what doesn't hurt or fuck up'. So, my jaw is fine crosses wonky fingers and...and...

FFS. My jaw is fine. Oh, and my eyebrows look good.

Maybe I should become a vastly overpaid slop merchant?

Last edited:
Reactions: 40
We’ll know because the light will have left those eyes.

Reactions: 40

This is what my keyboard offered up, when I clicked on the search bar. Seasonal Affective Disorder is one of the few things she hasn’t diagnosed herself with isn’t it?

Reactions: 49
I really like how Bake Off has dealt with disabilities. In most other shows - especially american shows - disabilities are often turned into these sob stories about 'overcoming' and being 'so strong'. And I'm not saying that that kind of story is never valid, it's just that that's the only story that's produced. I really liked how when Briony went on Bake Off, they didn't hide her hand, but they also didn't make a thing about it. She was allowed to be herself and not just her disability. Same this year with Mark E. He mentioned his story of his leg and his journey with it, but it wasn't the first thing they made sure you knew about him.

Jack would probably hate this. She'd much rather be on something like the Got Talent franchise where she could produce the sobbiest sob story and have everyone feel sorry for her and think of her as some tragic hero.

Reactions: 68
Remember that time JM was all happy? She’d drawn on the wallpaper and done the best ever tv presenting with Dr Rupy. When was that? 2 days ago, maybe three.

Course, back then we didn’t have sheep, so swings and roundabouts.

Reactions: 80
I was in bed at half 6 last night after a bit of an intense work week, and decided to comfort watch Nigella. I love her but haven't had a chance to watch the new series yet because, y'know BUSY!

My god does Jack want to be Nigella. It's aaaall there. Big doe eyes to camera, check. Scampering off with delicious food to eat it all because it's delicious and she is a mischievous pixie? The sensuous use of words to describe flavours and textures? Check.

Except Nigella is real and Jack is putting her on like clothes. It's like a computer pretending to be human - there is no understanding so it comes out all wrong. She needs to spend some time finding herself instead of frantically copying people (badly) and hiding behind labels.
(But she won't because that's hard)

Signed Julia Gulia CFS/ME, IBS, GERD, GAD, BGOWI*
*Bloody Getting On With It

Reactions: 72
Just checked Jack's Twitter to see if she retweeted any of the more useful critique of Sia's film from a disability rights , trans or sex worker perspective. Nope! It only mattered in as much as she could use it as launchpad to complain about her own issues. Just a remarkably shallow and self centred understanding of liberation politics... can't wait for that mental health column

Reactions: 56
I also think this putting letters after your name thing is really ignorant of the people who don’t have the privilege to be open about their health. There’s still a massive stigma attached to mental illness and, in a professional role, I would not feel comfortable signing off an email listing them after my name. I wouldn’t even feel comfortable with my boss coming across my twitter name and seeing details about my health. We don’t all have the privilege of shouting our disabilities/illnesses from the rooftops as for most of us it would seriously impact how we are perceived professionally. She gets to be quirky but most people working normal jobs would be seen as a liability.

Obviously she doesn’t acknowledge any amount of privilege because she’s literally the poorest, illest, most downtrodden person in the world and couldn’t possibly have it better than anyone.

Reactions: 90
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.