Jack Monroe #108 You’re really good on camera mate, honestly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've looked at her recipe for "orange salt"

1 It's not salt

2 She uses clementines, (so it is neither orange nor salt)

3 She says that she is meticulous in making sure no two pieces of "orange" peel touch. Then shows a picture with "orange" peel spread on a baking tray ready for the oven. It is touching, overlapping and in a pile.🤷‍♂️
As you say Manc old buddy, forensic in her details 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 43
She’s being ‘charming’ on twitter with that stupid 😈😈😈 that drives me mad.
On her insta you can definitely tell when her assistant is posting (which hasn’t been for a while) because there’s a lot of emojis throughout the text and the tone is very different. This is pretty standard practice. I have wondered if more than one person does her tweeting too but I don’t think anyone else would be as unprofessional,

Reactions: 35
The irony of her saying she's not hard work and then proudly describing herself as 'bolshy', which literally means ' deliberately combative or uncooperative.'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I was in bed at half 6 last night after a bit of an intense work week, and decided to comfort watch Nigella. I love her but haven't had a chance to watch the new series yet because, y'know BUSY!

My god does Jack want to be Nigella. It's aaaall there. Big doe eyes to camera, check. Scampering off with delicious food to eat it all because it's delicious and she is a mischievous pixie? The sensuous use of words to describe flavours and textures? Check.

Except Nigella is real and Jack is putting her on like clothes. It's like a computer pretending to be human - there is no understanding so it comes out all wrong. She needs to spend some time finding herself instead of frantically copying people (badly) and hiding behind labels.
(But she won't because that's hard)

Signed Julia Gulia CFS/ME, IBS, GERD, GAD, BGOWI*
*Bloody Getting On With It
I love Nigella, but she's seriously overdone the hairspray on this show. It doesn't move!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
On her insta you can definitely tell when her assistant is posting (which hasn’t been for a while) because there’s a lot of emojis throughout the text and the tone is very different. This is pretty standard practice. I have wondered if more than one person does her tweeting too but I don’t think anyone else would be as unprofessional,
Now you mention it her Twitter does feel like the result of one of those monkeys/keyboards experiments. Perhaps Poor Jack is tied up in the crappy Bungalow whilst her simian captors run amock on her social media.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I also think this putting letters after your name thing is really ignorant of the people who don’t have the privilege to be open about their health. There’s still a massive stigma attached to mental illness and, in a professional role, I would not feel comfortable signing off an email listing them after my name. I wouldn’t even feel comfortable with my boss coming across my twitter name and seeing details about my health. We don’t all have the privilege of shouting our disabilities/illnesses from the rooftops as for most of us it would seriously impact how we are perceived professionally. She gets to be quirky but most people working normal jobs would be seen as a liability.

Obviously she doesn’t acknowledge any amount of privilege because she’s literally the poorest, illest, most downtrodden person in the world and couldn’t possibly have it better than anyone.
I was just typing something similar but less coherent, totally agree with you.

Also what about people who have less accepted mental health issues and disabilities, things like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, BPD, psychosis, addiction, anti-social personality disorder? What about people in countries where diagnosis is impossible or mental health is not yet discussed at all. What about people who might be afraid of losing custody of their children? Funny how all of Jack's chosen letters are the ones that society is more sympathetic towards these days, with less stigma.

Her world view is so narrow and childish.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
She’s blocked me on Twatter :eek:. I’m outraged:D.
I liked a comment where someone actually called her out about going onto Mumsnet & Tattle.
I can’t find it now. I don’t really get Twitter I only use it for lurking. Can she delete other people’s tweets?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Is she asleep yet?

When she's like this, she really upsets me. I spent years ticking the not disabled option on application forms for fear of automatically ruled out because of it (yes, I know it's illegal but it's not hard to get round, especially not in the 1980s and 1990s). This lockdown has left me in limbo as far as mental health goes with no chance of challenging my diagnosis and maybe, just maybe, getting a proper assessment for both H-ADHD and autism. The only support I get is Penumbra phoning me once a week to chat and Citizens Advice doing my PIP application form, again over the phone. Luckily lockdown has helped my mental health in that I can avoid people but I'm already signed off from February on Occupational Health advice that I'll have another breakdown if I return to my job. I could easily announce my self-diagnosis like Jack but it still wouldn't get me the help and possible medicine that I need.

Blurp, MA(Hons), PG Cert Personnel Admin, DipGradSec, OA, D, E, A, Al, BPD, GOW, W&W, Ar, HH, FR

Osteoarthritis
Dyspraxia
Eczema
Asthma
Allergies
Borderline Personality Disorder
Grumpy Old Woman
Witch & Wiccan
Aries
Hiatus Hernia
Former Redhead
Love the Aries addition. If you go by traits of an Aries, I swear BPD makes perfect sense! 🤣 (also an Aries with BPD ✌)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I have dyscalculia, I manage day to day with the maths that I need to do, my executive function is quite fcked, which needs a lot of managing to keep up with my peers. But the thing that is most upsetting / shameful is I can’t really tell the time, it’s worse if I’m over tired, but I don’t particularly want to put letters after my name. Like other herrs and frauen it doesn’t define me.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.