Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
These activists say it better than I can about how she was transphobic, that trans rights don't occlude women's rights, and condeming retaliatory abuse. So I'll leave it at that.

When biological women are being told to put and shut up when raising concerns about sharing safe spaces with trans women’s many of whom haven’t even bothered to have surgery and when forced to play sports alongside trans women are physically bigger and stronger, then yes it does occlude women’s rights.

But this isn’t the place so I’ll leave it there.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 167

DeluxeTruffles

VIP Member
That reminds me of when I worked in a high end designer boutique. We (the girls who worked there) were eating sweets surreptitiously or so we thought. Obviously not supposed to eat on the shop floor. Three of us were on the stairs out of the way of the main shop floor near the changing rooms and Liam Neeson poked his head around and asked us what we were eating. We were all a bit flustered and said "Oh nothing", but he wasn't having it. He was like "come on hand them over" and so we ended up sharing Jelly Babies and cola bottles with him on the stairs while his wife Natasha Richardson was shopping and trying things on. He was absolutely lovely.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 118

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
That's just nonsense, of course people condem that sort of behaviour. I support trans rights, and I condem it, so...

There is a difference between free speech and hate speech. One person's desire to air their prejudices against a minority group does not trump the basic human rights of that group to exist without persecution.
Rowling has not been teans phobic. She has raised concerns about the effect of self ID on the rights of women and the erasure of language relating to women. But that is a discussion for another place. I have not heard and condemnation from activists to the violent abuse she has endured.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 104

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I honestly think that JK has just said what a lot of people really think but are too scared to say.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 103

Salacious

Chatty Member
There's a comedian called Limmy who has a bit of a cult following. Years ago on twitter Stephen Fry used to be a bit of a fan and mention him and stuff. One night on his old YouTube livestreams Limmy did a "bit" about how he was as smart as Stephen Fry and how SF just looked smart because he read out facts researched by other people.

It was clearly not malicious and just a silly joke he was doing. Anyway Stephen promptly blocked him and never mentioned him again.
Posted this before but usually raises an eyebrow given their slightly different career paths: Vanessa Feltz studied at Cambridge at the same time as Stephen Fry. Both read English and Vanessa outperformed him, gaining a first.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 88

hughjars

My mum’s dating advice when I was younger was
1) The older the fiddle the better the tune
2) Better to be an old man’s darling than a young man’s slave
3) Find yourself a rich old man with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80

Pulltheotherone

VIP Member
I have a friend who shagged Sean Bean ( he was married at the time who’s name escapes me ) in around 2003/4
He needed assistance shall we say !
She never went back.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 71

Skinner

VIP Member
Re Stephen Fry. On holidays recently I started to read a novel he wrote, i picked it up in a charity shop, in the first few pages the main character, a writer, said, if more women liked sex there would be less rapists.
I wad shocked at this and threw the book in the bin.

• Wow
  • Angry

Sea

VIP Member
I hate sex scenes, don't need to see butts and boobs and slurping snogging. Give me Jane Austen romantic tension.

Is that a bare ankle I see?? (Faints in shock!)

• Haha
  • Heart

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
So I went on a date late week with a guy who used to be a black cabbie in London. I said who was your worst passenger, he said Stephen Fry; by a mile!

I kept throwing names at him, and he said all were fine. Not many are not nice.
I said Liam Neeson, and he said so down to earth and lovely. That pleased me, as he is my favourite actor!

The best was Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale), who gave a tip of £1,000 one Christmas for a £9 fare!

Have more stories but I don't want to out myself!!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 65

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
I honestly think that JK has just said what a lot of people really think but are too scared to say.
Yes, fine, disagreeing with someone, addressing their concerns, debate and discuss, fine. Issuing death threats, getting women ( and its always wonen) sacked from their jobs and pressurising people not to publish their work, destroying their careers, not on. These people have no answer to women's concerns so just abuse. I suspect they don't really care, just want to put women in their place.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 62

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
I think that's a bit of a reach. That's the same as tarring all Muslims because of a tiny minority of whack-job extremists.
I don't think so. There may be a tiny minority of trans activists issuing death threats and doxxing Rowling, but they are never condemned, and their actions are defended by people saying ' Rowling is literally causing trans people to die!!!!!' The person who stabbed Rushdie stabbed him to suppress freedom of speech and expression. People who are trying to silence Rowling are trying to suppress her freedom of speech and expression. Who is to say some whackjob will not try to attack her because their abuse is apparently condoned, or at least not condemned?

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 62

House of Tea

VIP Member
This is from Popbitch, made me laugh
Noted spoon-botherer Uri Geller waded into geopolitical affairs this week, telling Putin he’d use his mind-powers to foil any nuclear attack Russia launches – a threat that must have sent some serious shivers down spines at the Kremlin.

How does Uri do it? A reader explains:

“I spent a fascinating afternoon at Uri’s house once. I had learned how he bends spoons – he just bends them really quickly while you’re not looking, relying on the fact that you don’t think spoons are easy to bend but they are, then just pretends to do all the rubbing stuff while guffing on about molecules.

So I brought a notably thick Ikea teaspoon for him to bend and was determined never to look away from him for a second. For a while it worked. He got super frustrated as he pretend massaged the spoon. Then, when it was getting really awkward, he slammed his hand down on my shoulder and shouted, ‘ARE YOU CLOSER TO YOUR MOTHER OR YOUR FATHER?’ which totally caught me and meant I lost attention for a second, so he got away with it.”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 60

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
This is organised religion for you, I really do feel the world would be a better place without it. It’s a breeding ground for extremist nutters who take offence at anything and everything,

• Heart
Reactions: 60