Secret Celebrity Gossip #84

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The talk of finding sex scenes cringey to watch reminded me of an excruciating moment from my teenage years. I was at a friends house. We were about 14 at the time. We happened to be in the sitting room with her Dad watching some movie on TV when a totally unexpected and quite raunchy sex scene came on. We sat there in total silence and embarrassment for what seemed like an hour but probably was a few seconds before my friends Dad leapt out of his chair and said in an overly cheery voice “right, who’s for a cup of tea!” and fled to the kitchen. 😀
That reminds me that summat similar happened to me when I was a teenager.
I was home alone watching the telly one evening, there's a knock on the door and it's one of the local priests.
Back then they would call to people's houses, in the parish, just to say hallo, like a pastoral visit type thing.
Anyway, I explained my Dad was out (it was just me and my Dad when I was growing up, as my mother had died a couple of years before and I was an only child) but would he like to come in? Hoping he'd say no 😅
In he comes, and sits down in the living room, and I left the telly on while I went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.
In I come, with a tray of tea and biscuits, only to find the priest sitting there and a flipping love scene on the telly 😅
It can't have been too racy because it was before the watershed but I still nearly died of embarrassment 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Personally I dislike him in Jeeves and Wooster. Jeeves is a gentleman's gentleman. He's from a humble background. So he shouldn't sound and act as though he comes from an even posher background than Bertie. Fry must surely have realised that, and yet he just glides through each episode being Stephen Fry. And his fans once again betray their ignorance by hailing him as 'perfect' in the role.
But tbf, that’s exactly how PGW wrote Jeeves.

Reactions: 12
There's a comedian called Limmy who has a bit of a cult following. Years ago on twitter Stephen Fry used to be a bit of a fan and mention him and stuff. One night on his old YouTube livestreams Limmy did a "bit" about how he was as smart as Stephen Fry and how SF just looked smart because he read out facts researched by other people.

It was clearly not malicious and just a silly joke he was doing. Anyway Stephen promptly blocked him and never mentioned him again.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
That's just nonsense, of course people condem that sort of behaviour. I support trans rights, and I condem it, so...

There is a difference between free speech and hate speech. One person's desire to air their prejudices against a minority group does not trump the basic human rights of that group to exist without persecution.

Have you got any examples of her "hate speech"? I've been trying to find some for years but nobody ever has an answer to that question. It's weird.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
Have you got any examples of her "hate speech"? I've been trying to find some for years but nobody ever has an answer to that question. It's weird.
I’d also be really interested to see an example of this, I’ve never successfully found it myself and whenever I see someone condemning her as a bigot I ask what exactly it is she said that was so hateful and get told to “do my own research” 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
I’d also be really interested to see an example of this, I’ve never successfully found it myself and whenever I see someone condemning her as a bigot I ask what exactly it is she said that was so hateful and get told to “do my own research” 🤷‍♀️

It makes no sense that people are unable to give examples about something they feel so passionately about.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
When biological women are being told to put and shut up when raising concerns about sharing safe spaces with trans women’s many of whom haven’t even bothered to have surgery and when forced to play sports alongside trans women are physically bigger and stronger, then yes it does occlude women’s rights.

But this isn’t the place so I’ll leave it there.
JK is a hero and very brave

Ohhhhh, do tell? What was the gossip? 😀
It was absolutely yonks ago I can’t remember any of it. Back in the day we used to write to each other (I was on maternity leave) I shall dig out the letters when I get a minute

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
Oh blimey that’s a blast from the past 🤣🤣I loved that show - so trashy but so addictive. I wonder if I can find it to watch …
I rewatched them all recently and Footballers Wives: Extra Time. On BritBox. I think you can get a month's free trial if you've time to binge.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There's a comedian called Limmy who has a bit of a cult following. Years ago on twitter Stephen Fry used to be a bit of a fan and mention him and stuff. One night on his old YouTube livestreams Limmy did a "bit" about how he was as smart as Stephen Fry and how SF just looked smart because he read out facts researched by other people.

It was clearly not malicious and just a silly joke he was doing. Anyway Stephen promptly blocked him and never mentioned him again.
Posted this before but usually raises an eyebrow given their slightly different career paths: Vanessa Feltz studied at Cambridge at the same time as Stephen Fry. Both read English and Vanessa outperformed him, gaining a first.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 88
Posted this before but usually raises an eyebrow given their slightly different career paths: Vanessa Feltz studied at Cambridge at the same time as Stephen Fry. Both read English and Vanessa outperformed him, gaining a first.
i’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for vanessa feltz so this makes me smile.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Totally ! I sent her a DM once ages ago about something and she replied with a lovely message almost immediately. She is lovely !

• Heart
Reactions: 38
But tbf, that’s exactly how PGW wrote Jeeves.
No, absolutrely not, he wrote him as someone from a modest background who was preternaturally bright, a gifted autodidact, who, like all butlers, affected an imperfectly 'good' accent. That's quite different from sounding as though you went to Upminster and Cambridge and were thoroughly spoilt.

Yeah, regardless of what you think of them, Fry and Laurie as Jeeves and Wooster was pretty inspired casting.
No, it was lazy casting, tapping into the double of the day's popularity. Seriously, read the books again, it's NOT how they were meant to be perceived. Do you think Etonians and Harrovians were queuing up to be butlers??? The upper classes didn't toss a coin and say, right, heads I'll be master, tails I'll be a valet'.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
If I remember correctly some book shops refused to sell it or you had to ask a member of staff because they wouldn’t display it , it was over thirty years ago so I can’t remember much .
It was a bit like the book Spycatcher that was banned in the UK, so my dad brought me home a copy from America (I wanted to be a spook as a teenager - love John Le Carre and Frederick Forsyth type books).

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.