Secret Celebrity Gossip #84

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Posted this before but usually raises an eyebrow given their slightly different career paths: Vanessa Feltz studied at Cambridge at the same time as Stephen Fry. Both read English and Vanessa outperformed him, gaining a first.
I used to speak to Vanessa through work and I can confirm that she is funny and lovely.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I can actually recall the era when Fry looked youthful and was considered cool. In the late-80s, he was an actor in Blackadder and part of the then-new 'Alternative' vanguard, appearing on Channel Four's Friday/Saturday Live with Ben Elton and Harry Enfield. In the very early 90s, he and Hugh Laurie had their own sketch show and appeared in adverts for the Alliance and Leicester Building Society.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I can actually recall when Fry was considered cool. It was in the mid-to-late 80s, when he was an actor in Blackadder and part of the then-new 'Alternative' vanguard, appearing on Channel Four's Friday/Saturday Live with Ben Elton and Harry Enfield.
He was never funny as the rest of that gang though. They all outshined him on the comedic side of things, imo.

Reactions: 17
He was never funny as the rest of that gang though. They all outshined him on the comedic side of things, imo.
Do you remember the movie Peter's Friends? It was him as Peter, and to me says it all about his role within his friends.

Reactions: 7
No, it was lazy casting, tapping into the double of the day's popularity. Seriously, read the books again, it's NOT how they were meant to be perceived. Do you think Etonians and Harrovians were queuing up to be butlers??? The upper classes didn't toss a coin and say, right, heads I'll be master, tails I'll be a valet'.
As was said, that's how Wodehouse wrote the character, so it worked.

Reactions: 3
Well I'm something of a fry skeptic these days but I'll admit he was fantastic in Blackadder back in the day.
blackadder is him at his best. he’s wonderful in the second and fourth series especially. he was also great in bones, as a recurring cast star.

still not a huge fan though, for the many reasons already expressed!

Reactions: 3
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Not gossip but I saw a sort of celebrity in the wild yesterday. In Hastings, obviously scorching, but saw filming of that Dogs Behaving Badly show with Graham Hall. He’s a big unit. Felt a bit sorry for him - 34 degrees and he is wearing a tweed waistcoat and jeans. I walked that way later and they were still filming. All that hanging around, must be so boring.

Reactions: 12

Hurrah for the return of ‘rock stars who look like ageing women’ 🙌🙌🙌🙌

I’d also be really interested to see an example of this, I’ve never successfully found it myself and whenever I see someone condemning her as a bigot I ask what exactly it is she said that was so hateful and get told to “do my own research” 🤷‍♀️
That’s the only response that’s ever forthcoming.

Even the CEO of Stonewall, when interviewed on ‘Women’s Hour’, was unable to cite a transphobic
comment by JKR. Funny, eh?

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
I honestly think that JK has just said what a lot of people really think but are too scared to say.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 103
I can actually recall the era when Fry looked youthful and was considered cool. In the late-80s, he was an actor in Blackadder and part of the then-new 'Alternative' vanguard, appearing on Channel Four's Friday/Saturday Live with Ben Elton and Harry Enfield. In the very early 90s, he and Hugh Laurie had their own sketch show and appeared in adverts for the Alliance and Leicester Building Society.
Of course, they were shown trying to promote the fictional Sprogitt and Sylvester - but in fact doing its image a disservice. S & S was, of course, really a proxy for competitors to the Alliance and Leicester. The advert attempted to work by doing down the competition to A & L.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.