Secret Celebrity Gossip #84

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's just nonsense, of course people condem that sort of behaviour. I support trans rights, and I condem it, so...

There is a difference between free speech and hate speech. One person's desire to air their prejudices against a minority group does not trump the basic human rights of that group to exist without persecution.
Rowling has not been teans phobic. She has raised concerns about the effect of self ID on the rights of women and the erasure of language relating to women. But that is a discussion for another place. I have not heard and condemnation from activists to the violent abuse she has endured.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 104
He comes across as one of those 'I went to Cambridge and therefore I am superior to all you scum'. Didn't he used to get some of his QI info through his earpiece to sound like he knew it all?
It's weird how some viewers see Fry or Richard Osman read stuff out on those shows and they assume it's all coming from inside their heads rather than a screen or an earpiece.

Fry use to do the same chat show riff, over and over again, about how celibacy was the only rational choice, and how sex was repugnant, and every interviewer used to just sit there and beam with adoration at him, agreeing with all that he said in spite of the fact that they obviously didn't agree with it. Then he decided to inform the nation that sex was actually a good thing, and again he was greeted as if he'd just made Wittgenstein clear and simple for ordinary folk. Then he felt the need to explain to the nation why bread and potatoes shouldn't be eaten. Then he decided he needed to point out how bread and potatoes were okay in moderation. When he lost weight he felt obliged to explain to the world how mature and important it was. When he put the weight back on, he felt similarly obliged to stress how unimportant it was. On and on it goes, and no one ever seems inclined to pause and say, 'Didn't you recently argue the opposite???'

He's hopelessly contradictory and desperate to be adored, with the latter exacerbating the former. He'll defend 'proper' English but also applaud people who are barely literate. He'll insist on the importance of education and then dismiss it. At the moment he's doing his usual incoherent balancing act at the MCC, waffling away about cricket traditions whilst straining to seem 'with it, daddy-o' about any rejection of said traditions. Relativists must worship him.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
That's just nonsense, of course people condem that sort of behaviour. I support trans rights, and I condem it, so...

There is a difference between free speech and hate speech. One person's desire to air their prejudices against a minority group does not trump the basic human rights of that group to exist without persecution.
The irony of it all is that these people who make vile threats to people they deem 'offensive' in some way cannot see the utter vileness within themselves. They are not intelligent and rational enough to make the distinction between free and hate speech. So many are keyboard cowards who wouldn't dare spout their abuse to an individual's face but then the odd cretin slips through the net and does something crazy.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Rowling has not been teans phobic. She has raised concerns about the effect of self ID on the rights of women and the erasure of language relating to women. But that is a discussion for another place. I have not heard and condemnation from activists to the violent abuse she has endured.
These activists say it better than I can about how she was transphobic, that trans rights don't occlude women's rights, and condeming retaliatory abuse. So I'll leave it at that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Re Stephen Fry. On holidays recently I started to read a novel he wrote, i picked it up in a charity shop, in the first few pages the main character, a writer, said, if more women liked sex there would be less rapists.
I wad shocked at this and threw the book in the bin.
I have no words 😱😱😱

Reactions: 11
I absolutely cannot stand Toksvig. Her disappearing off Back Off is the best thing that happened to the new version.
Is that the new aggressive version of the show? Paul approaches the bench and the contestant shouts “OI, BACK OFF HOLLYWOOD”

• Haha
Reactions: 39
These activists say it better than I can about how she was transphobic, that trans rights don't occlude women's rights, and condeming retaliatory abuse. So I'll leave it at that.

When biological women are being told to put and shut up when raising concerns about sharing safe spaces with trans women’s many of whom haven’t even bothered to have surgery and when forced to play sports alongside trans women are physically bigger and stronger, then yes it does occlude women’s rights.

But this isn’t the place so I’ll leave it there.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 167
Isn’t Fry into a weird “ non sex sex “ thing ?
I can’t be bothered to Google …. It’s too HOT !

Reactions: 3
Re Stephen Fry. On holidays recently I started to read a novel he wrote, i picked it up in a charity shop, in the first few pages the main character, a writer, said, if more women liked sex there would be less rapists.
I wad shocked at this and threw the book in the bin.
To be fair, a character in a story doesn't necessarily reflect the author's views.

Reactions: 7
Gosh!

When I read the article I just kept thinking how has it all been hidden for so long.

I mean what they are describing in the article isn't random behaviour.
Who are you talking about? Xx

Reactions: 1
I haven't read or bought a book in ages, but in the light of recent events, I will be purchasing a copy of The Satanic verses.
I tried to read it. It might be a literary masterpiece but it was dull. I gave up

It's weird how some viewers see Fry or Richard Osman read stuff out on those shows and they assume it's all coming from inside their heads rather than a screen or an earpiece.

Fry use to do the same chat show riff, over and over again, about how celibacy was the only rational choice, and how sex was repugnant, and every interviewer used to just sit there and beam with adoration at him, agreeing with all that he said in spite of the fact that they obviously didn't agree with it. Then he decided to inform the nation that sex was actually a good thing, and again he was greeted as if he'd just made Wittgenstein clear and simple for ordinary folk. Then he felt the need to explain to the nation why bread and potatoes shouldn't be eaten. Then he decided he needed to point out how bread and potatoes were okay in moderation. When he lost weight he felt obliged to explain to the world how mature and important it was. When he put the weight back on, he felt similarly obliged to stress how unimportant it was. On and on it goes, and no one ever seems inclined to pause and say, 'Didn't you recently argue the opposite???'

He's hopelessly contradictory and desperate to be adored, with the latter exacerbating the former. He'll defend 'proper' English but also applaud people who are barely literate. He'll insist on the importance of education and then dismiss it. At the moment he's doing his usual incoherent balancing act at the MCC, waffling away about cricket traditions whilst straining to seem 'with it, daddy-o' about any rejection of said traditions. Relativists must worship him.
And he ruined Gosford Park with his dreadful acting

Reactions: 6
And he ruined Gosford Park with his dreadful acting
Personally I dislike him in Jeeves and Wooster. Jeeves is a gentleman's gentleman. He's from a humble background. So he shouldn't sound and act as though he comes from an even posher background than Bertie. Fry must surely have realised that, and yet he just glides through each episode being Stephen Fry. And his fans once again betray their ignorance by hailing him as 'perfect' in the role.

Reactions: 18
Many moons ago I worked at BBC and my boss took me to a do where Salman Rushdie was also present. I briefly spoke to him as part of a group and he was absolutely lovely. I was very young and had nothing to add to the conversation but he was kind and also smelt lovely! I didn't sniff him - it was a general aroma 🤣
Boring tea but this attack has really sadden me.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.