Ruby Granger #8 Government checks, body checks, and yet no privilege checks

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Used to watch Ruby religiously for the sheer spectacle of whatever weird thing she would do next but to be honest her privilege and grotesque wealth, on top of things like the Holocaust memorial drama and the constant irresponsible ED performance, have made me grow to dislike her to a point where I can’t even enjoy her content from a removed perspective anymore. I think that’s because as she’s gotten older she still refuses to fully acknowledge her privilege in a way that you can forgive a 16 year old kid for, and as someone who is the same age as her I try and imagine whether it would be possible for me to be friends with her if I knew her irl and the answer is an overwhelming no. Until she becomes self-aware enough to recognise things like this, her videos will always leave a bad taste in my mouth when I remember that her dad is an exploitative capitalist pig and she’s a literal landlord. Disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I’m American, so forgive me if this is ridiculous, but can someone please explain why everyone keeps saying “Oxbridge” when she was only ever interested in Oxford and not both Oxford and Cambridge? Why not just say Oxford?

Reactions: 7
I hate the click bait title - it should’ve been “i’m changing my course”. “I’m dropping out of my course” seems like she was dropping out of uni, not to mention the cringey pose in the thumbnail🥴
OH YES!! I have been so annoyed with this title andhave been wanted to talk about it for a while but wasn’t sure if anyone really cared. There’s a part (if she hasn’t can anger anything) where she says “I’m a college dropout” or something a long the lines and I was like, no Ruby. You just changed your course. I’m from the US and it’s literally just changing your major. That’s it. Dropping out means withdrawing. There is a process to changing your major but you keep your spot at the school. You aren’t a dropout.

idk if it’s different than the UK but if her changing to English wasn’t approved then she would just stay in Theology... she wouldn’t have lost her spot and therefore is not a dropout.

I haven’t watched the video in a while but I think she talked about the stigma around dropping out which I think is great because it definitely should be talked about more. but she isn’t a dropout. She just changed her course.

is it different in the UK? I don’t think you would lose your spot. Correct me if I’m wrong. This just always annoyed me lol

• Heart
Reactions: 17
very off topic as i’ve literally just stumbled across this site but does anyone know if Ruby is still a landlord? i’m sure she was a few years ago but i can’t find the video she made on it?

Reactions: 4
very off topic as i’ve literally just stumbled across this site but does anyone know if Ruby is still a landlord? i’m sure she was a few years ago but i can’t find the video she made on it?
she deleted it or made it private because she got a LOT of backlash for it. She’s most likely still a landlord, yeah. Just trying to be really quiet about it

Reactions: 16
OH YES!! I have been so annoyed with this title andhave been wanted to talk about it for a while but wasn’t sure if anyone really cared. There’s a part (if she hasn’t can anger anything) where she says “I’m a college dropout” or something a long the lines and I was like, no Ruby. You just changed your course. I’m from the US and it’s literally just changing your major. That’s it. Dropping out means withdrawing. There is a process to changing your major but you keep your spot at the school. You aren’t a dropout.

idk if it’s different than the UK but if her changing to English wasn’t approved then she would just stay in Theology... she wouldn’t have lost her spot and therefore is not a dropout.

I haven’t watched the video in a while but I think she talked about the stigma around dropping out which I think is great because it definitely should be talked about more. but she isn’t a dropout. She just changed her course.

is it different in the UK? I don’t think you would lose your spot. Correct me if I’m wrong. This just always annoyed me lol
In a sense it is "dropping out" because in UK universities you can't transfer credits between courses/you don't take any gen ed classes like in the states, everything you do from day 1 is towards your 'major' i.e. the subject in your degree title. Ruby had to withdraw (drop out) of BA Philosophy and Theology and start again from year one of BA English Literature, with no credits carried over. In terms of a video title obv we all think of "dropping out" as leaving uni never to return, but technically she did withdraw and start a whole new course from the beginning - you can't "change your major" a whole year in at a UK uni, it just doesn't work like that here!

• Wow
Reactions: 16
I’m American, so forgive me if this is ridiculous, but can someone please explain why everyone keeps saying “Oxbridge” when she was only ever interested in Oxford and not both Oxford and Cambridge? Why not just say Oxford?
You're only able to apply for Oxford or Cambridge, so she had to pick a side instead of applying for both. I keep typing Oxbridge in a slightly snarky tone because I got the vibe that she was enamoured of the dreaming spires aesthetic as opposed to actually saying "this is the college and the degree programme for me for X reason".

Reactions: 10
she deleted it or made it private because she got a LOT of backlash for it. She’s most likely still a landlord, yeah. Just trying to be really quiet about it
what backlash did she get for it? I vaguely remember her making a video about a house or something but if I am honest all of Ruby’s videos all end up as a big blur because of all the study day in the life I forget lol

Reactions: 2
It’s a lazy way of saying Oxford and Cambridge, used in this context to refer to ... well ... Oxbridge (i.e. the whole aura surrounding those two universities) 😀 Like howaboutnot said, you can only apply for one or the other, apart from in very specific circumstances and their whole application process is slightly different to other UK universities, with earlier closing dates, some subjects having exams and the whole interview process. As an aside, it always blows my mind when I see the US college acceptance videos where people seem to apply for sooooo many universities, you can’t do that in the UK.

Reactions: 13
Wtf do these Instagram stories mean, they were one after the other, is she trying to show she's wearing black in mourning? Creasing 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20210409-185145.png

Screenshot_20210409-185155.png

• Haha
Reactions: 25
It’s a lazy way of saying Oxford and Cambridge, used in this context to refer to ... well ... Oxbridge (i.e. the whole aura surrounding those two universities) 😀 Like howaboutnot said, you can only apply for one or the other, apart from in very specific circumstances and their whole application process is slightly different to other UK universities, with earlier closing dates, some subjects having exams and the whole interview process. As an aside, it always blows my mind when I see the US college acceptance videos where people seem to apply for sooooo many universities, you can’t do that in the UK.
wait what, only one or the other?! Yeah here in the US some people apply to like 20+ unis at a time! And you can apply to all the IVY league schools simultaneously

• Wow
Reactions: 8
wait what, only one or the other?! Yeah here in the US some people apply to like 20+ unis at a time! And you can apply to all the IVY league schools simultaneously
Yes, only one - unless you’re an Organ Scholar in which case I believe you can apply to both at undergraduate level, but that’s probably only a tiny handful of people. It’s mainly because Oxford and Cambridge get so many applications and interview about 3/4 of those who apply. If people could apply to both then realistically you’d get the same people applying to both universities and probably the same people being accepted at both, and then they would have to interview even more people to fill the courses and it just wouldn’t be feasible. You can only apply for five universities in each application cycle in the UK, it’s managed centrally by an organisation called UCAS and it costs £26 to apply (or £20 if you only apply for one uni). That’s what blows my mind when I watch the US videos - the cost of applying and the fact you can apply to 20 or 30 colleges if you wanted to (and you could afford it).

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Yes, only one - unless you’re an Organ Scholar in which case I believe you can apply to both at undergraduate level, but that’s probably only a tiny handful of people. It’s mainly because Oxford and Cambridge get so many applications and interview about 3/4 of those who apply. If people could apply to both then realistically you’d get the same people applying to both universities and probably the same people being accepted at both, and then they would have to interview even more people to fill the courses and it just wouldn’t be feasible. You can only apply for five universities in each application cycle in the UK, it’s managed centrally by an organisation called UCAS and it costs £26 to apply (or £20 if you only apply for one uni). That’s what blows my mind when I watch the US videos - the cost of applying and the fact you can apply to 20 or 30 colleges if you wanted to (and you could afford it).
Just for some further information and because this blew my mind when I applied via UCAS (I’m in Germany, so literally no one could help me) you can only write one personal statement for all 5 unis. So if the courses slightly differ, or there are certain ‘special’ aspects you really have to think hard.

Here in Germany it is literally just a form you fill out and send it to as many universities as you like, along with your final grades (fyi this does not apply to med school).

Reactions: 17
Just for some further information and because this blew my mind when I applied via UCAS (I’m in Germany, so literally no one could help me) you can only write one personal statement for all 5 unis. So if the courses slightly differ, or there are certain ‘special’ aspects you really have to think hard.

Here in Germany it is literally just a form you fill out and send it to as many universities as you like, along with your final grades (fyi this does not apply to med school).
funny you say that! i have a friend who's applied for two wildly different courses (medicine and politics w IR!) and if you contact the uni you're applying to they might give you a chance to send them a different personal statement. bit of an uncommon situation though

Reactions: 5

In Italy you can try to get in as many universities as you like, because the admission procedures differ between universities and between courses and are not standardized in any way (the only exception is Medicine for which there's a national test). So for example for my Bachelor's I was interested in two different Language Mediation courses at two different universities. One of them only required proof of my high school final grade and admissions were based on that (the higher your grade the more chances you had to get in), while for the other I needed to go in and pass an actual admission test. We don't have application letters or anything like that though. One could theoretically apply for like 20 different courses but at that point it becomes a nightmare to keep track of all the different requirements and deadlines lol.

Reactions: 12
Ugh, I hate that guy. He's not exactly a picture of health himself. A bit hypocritical to comment on how pale Ruby is and how lank her hair is, when he himself looks all wan and sweaty and his hair looks like it's on its last legs. He's condescending and rude and has an opinion on everything, but if he's such an expert on nutrition, why does he look like a junkie with chickenpox?

There is a video of him eating a raw turkey leg and it made me gag. He's just doing stunts like that to get a reaction.
He’s said some very disgusting things prob to get attention. The carnivore thing is tame compared to his other...philosophies.

Reactions: 3
He’s said some very disgusting things prob to get attention. The carnivore thing is tame compared to his other...philosophies.
Somehow his (alleged, probably fake) diet includes whole packs of butter and drinking straight up animal blood.... and it's NOT the most disgusting thing about him.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
It is the hair for me! I can't understand why she's styles it like that. It reminds me of a character from The Borrowers.
At this point it's not even funny anymore, it's just inappropriate. Like Jesus Christ, a man has died. Ruby is not a child anymore, she should know how to handle these things. A picture of him is okay, maybe a somber message or a prayer or a candle or something like that. A picture of yourself cosplaying as a Victorian child in mourning clothes is just ridiculously inappropriate.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.