Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Long time lurker here, slightly off-topic but anyway I am rather surprised that Ruby has not yet talked about The Queen's Gambit, because it does fit in with the academia aesthetic that she at times portrays.
It’s at least sixty years outside of her period of interest, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Long time lurker here, slightly off-topic but anyway I am rather surprised that Ruby has not yet talked about The Queen's Gambit, because it does fit in with the academia aesthetic that she at times portrays.
Haha. The Queen's Gambit for me was actually a story about empowerment, trauma (messy adult trauma), confronting it and growing (up). Please don't let Ruby slay this as a "very nice series about a very clever girl - 2 out of 5 stars"! I could totally see her just milking of the surface level.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I wonder if she'd be too disapproving of all the sex, drugs and alcohol 🤣 also I'm not sure she's that into TV anymore (she probably considers it inferior to books...)
The Queen's Gambit is a book too so she might try to read it instead of watching the show. Not sure it would be her thing tho haha

Reactions: 5
1984 = promotes "lack of education".
Yeah.... I mean.... You can do better, even if you were not a lit student.

Can somebody hold my cup? I need to hit my head against the wall
Hi, long time lurker here.
I wonder if she still makes paid ads for Exeter.
Exeter must be ashamed of her posting such stuff. And can't believe that they want unhealthy study habits to be promoted.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hi, long time lurker here.
I wonder if she still makes paid ads for Exeter.
Exeter must be ashamed of her posting such stuff. And can't believe that they want unhealthy study habits to be promoted.
They probably don't really care what she does and doesn't promote. At the end of the day, Exeter is a massive university with its fingers in many pots. The University doing ads on her videos is to recruit students to go there...and pay them. For only £9,000 a year you can study and be productive just like Ruby at Exeter! Maybe you might even see her around on campus!! How exciting, how high achieving!!!

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Haha. The Queen's Gambit for me was actually a story about empowerment, trauma (messy adult trauma), confronting it and growing (up). Please don't let Ruby slay this as a "very nice series about a very clever girl - 2 out of 5 stars"! I could totally see her just milking of the surface level.
That "2 out of 5 stars" took me tf out, too accurate

Reactions: 2
They probably don't really care what she does and doesn't promote. At the end of the day, Exeter is a massive university with its fingers in many pots. The University doing ads on her videos is to recruit students to go there...and pay them. For only £9,000 a year you can study and be productive just like Ruby at Exeter! Maybe you might even see her around on campus!! How exciting, how high achieving!!!
If I were Exeter I'd be less concerned about her unhealthy study habits (as you say, I can't imagine that really bothers them), and more concerned about the fact that she often comes across as...less than intelligent. If I were a uni and I saw someone we were paying to promote us posting that Orwell quote out of context, then coming out with an absurd justification, I'd be seriously reconsidering. She may get good grades, but I wouldn't have thought that someone who spends most of their time reading kids books, can't produce proper opinions on literature unless she's had weeks to research what she should think, posts videos of her xmas presents during a global pandemic and is obviously incredibly unaware of her privilege, would be the best representative if you wanted to attract ppl who aren't dim but rich white and middle class to your uni.

Reactions: 18
If I were Exeter I'd be less concerned about her unhealthy study habits (as you say, I can't imagine that really bothers them), and more concerned about the fact that she often comes across as...less than intelligent. If I were a uni and I saw someone we were paying to promote us posting that Orwell quote out of context, then coming out with an absurd justification, I'd be seriously reconsidering. She may get good grades, but I wouldn't have thought that someone who spends most of their time reading kids books, can't produce proper opinions on literature unless she's had weeks to research what she should think, posts videos of her xmas presents during a global pandemic and is obviously incredibly unaware of her privilege, would be the best representative if you wanted to attract ppl who aren't dim but rich white and middle class to your uni.
I'm actually surprised Exeter pays her considering her channel has always been very cringy and if anything it has only improved (I'm talking about the Hermione Granger videos). And the children's books thing is so glaring too.
I guess they don't really know or care what she posts. They only see the number of subscribers and views her videos get.
I don't know, this whole thing is so weird. If I knew a classmate was getting paid by our university to promote it online I'd be bitter, ngl. Not even for the money but the fact that she might be getting special treatment and whatnot for no actual merit of her own. I imagine Ruby is not very well-liked at Exeter because of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
I'm actually surprised Exeter pays her considering her channel has always been very cringy and if anything it has only improved (I'm talking about the Hermione Granger videos). And the children's books thing is so glaring too.
I guess they don't really know or care what she posts. They only see the number of subscribers and views her videos get.
I don't know this whole thing is so weird. If I knew a classmate was getting paid by our university to promote it online I'd be bitter, ngl. Not even for the money but the fact that she might be getting special treatment and whatnot for no actual merit of her own. I imagine Ruby is not very well-liked at Exeter because of that.
I also can’t believe she would accept a sponsorship by her own university? I mean, obviously I’ve never been in such a situation but it just seems bizzare and somewhat unethical, I don’t think I would accept it.

Reactions: 12
I also can’t believe she would accept a sponsorship by her own university? I mean, obviously I’ve never been in such a situation but it just seems bizzare and somewhat unethical, I don’t think I would accept it.
Ruby probably doesn't care as long as she gets paid lmao

Reactions: 11
Looks like Ruby has her own video production company, can’t find much info but of course it makes sense to channel her income through a company... maybe avoid some taxes, too.

Reactions: 7
Erimentha Parker's to do list
Chapter 3

We've reached our first antagonist, Kimberly. Her family spent the summer in Cancun, which must be the upper-middle-class equivalent of 2 weeks in an all-inclusive in Magaluf via Easyjet. She also has icy blue eyes; Ermientha has an unhealthy obsession with other people's body parts in this book. More on that later.

Erimentha is pissed that they stayed in their forms, missing vital classes where she could have harassed her teachers into reading her stack of book reviews. I hope these public servants belong to a union.

Her classmates are giggling. She introduces herself to the teacher and says, "I would like to apologise on behalf of our table for our behaviour."

EXCUSE ME? Who is bullying who in this story? It's their first day of school too, and this charlatan takes it upon herself to speak for the table? Is this an attempted coup?

Out comes the infamous Globalisation speech during the Geography lesson, and I'm starting to feel triggered by hearing a child repeatedly say to an adult, "Did you know?"

Erimentha decides to ignore Kimberly for the rest of the lesson as she made a smart-mouth comment (deserved, in my opinion) and after class she takes it upon herself to squeeze the teacher like an old lemon. The teacher suggests Erimentha write a presentation on the subject as a way of getting her to go away. Erimentha earnestly writes a list about it, totally missing the hint.

It's lunchtime and the school is serving the proles stodgy filth of fishcakes and chips. Erimentha being vegan, virtuously piles her plate with salad and so does a classmate after being shamed about eating ones seven-a-day. I double check that this is a book about others bullying Erimentha, and not the reverse.

Another antagonist, Izzy (note the cheap and cheerful names given to them - they are Lidl to Erimentha's Waitrose) deliberately spills water on Erimentha (at this point, I would have force-fed her a saveloy) but she sternly tells Izzy off and not to worry as she bought a spare uniform with her (because of course she has)

Kimberly accuses Erimentha of being a psychopath, accusing her of tripping Izzy during watergate. Erimentha denies being one - she's read the DSM-V and doesn't meet the diagnostic criteria, which is something all 12 year olds do.

I'm beginning to wonder if Erimentha isn't in fact, a dark overlord mastermind in this story.

------------

Disclaimer: this is a light-hearted poke at someone's creative writing exercise. When I was Ruby's age, I'd write a small chapter about my drunken uni one-night-stand(s)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.