Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Its an interesting theory but I dunno about ruby, while she doesn’t talk about sex and isn’t interested in relationships, theres not been anything so far to really suggest shes absolutely disgusted by it
I do think the fact that she doesn't talk about relationships etc is one of the less problematic things about her, but I actually think the theories suggesting she's a closeted WLW are pretty believable. (I'm a bi woman who had a similar childhood to Ruby.) One of the Twitter comments on the book said it had "big closeted WLW energy" (like the line where Ermientha says, of Kimberly bullying her, "my carpal bone aches against her strong hands" or her obsession - tantamount to a crush - with her geography teacher) and I can't help feeling that's something Ruby is trying to explore through the book.

Reactions: 9
I haven’t read her book but does anyone know if Erimentha goes to private school or state school? Obviously Ruby went to private school so that’s the experience she would draw on. I only ask because the forms of ‘bullying’ taking part in the book are very mild compared to some of the stuff that happened at my state school and probably wouldn’t even be considered bullying. Different worlds I suppose!

Reactions: 8
I haven’t read her book but does anyone know if Erimentha goes to private school or state school? Obviously Ruby went to private school so that’s the experience she would draw on. I only ask because the forms of ‘bullying’ taking part in the book are very mild compared to some of the stuff that happened at my state school and probably wouldn’t even be considered bullying. Different worlds I suppose!
Agreed. I remember a girl getting her head thrown under the sewing machine and someone trying to sew her head. Bullying is crap but I don’t think Ruby would have known exactly how bad it can be... not disregarding what happened to Ruby or her experience, but she was and still is incredibly sheltered as to how cruel life can be...

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I don’t know why it makes you uncomfortable. There’s nothing wrong discussing what may or may not turn someone on; my post was simply suggesting that maybe this is reason as someone above me questioned if it was all a character.
Because I know someone who is very similar, I was simply suggesting that may be the reason why and it might not be a character.... I did say I wasn’t assuming anything just throwing it out there.

Also this girl on her blog continually wrote that she had trouble expressing herself from shy and awkward in high school and wished she had been more comfortable about what she enjoyed but was embarrassed, so I dunno, was actually trying to bring it up as a way to say she shouldn’t be embarrassed if maybe she is into that stuff! Which again, we don’t know but this is a discussion forum and if she’s presenting similar traits... I didn’t see the problem in bringing up a healthy topic! There’s no shame in liking that stuff or comparing it to people who act similar in roles! I literally was just comparing the two
That’s fine, we can disagree :)
It makes me uncomfortable because people would always question me about why I didn’t fancy anyone, so I have that POV. I also wouldn’t discuss other people’s turn ons (unless I was talking to them) because I think it’s quite personal and in general I don’t agree with questioning people’s sexuality. So I just wanted to offer a different view that sometimes things don’t have anything to do with sex & relationships. (Really not trying to argue :) )

Reactions: 12
Agreed. I remember a girl getting her head thrown under the sewing machine and someone trying to sew her head. Bullying is crap but I don’t think Ruby would have known exactly how bad it can be... not disregarding what happened to Ruby or her experience, but she was and still is incredibly sheltered as to how cruel life can be...
This is why I’m interested in this possible childhood trauma, that people say might have been the reason why she is the way she is with acting child like etc

Reactions: 1
This is why I’m interested in this possible childhood trauma, that people say might have been the reason why she is the way she is with acting child like etc
I wish she would just address it. I know it’s difficult but she can really use her platform to help others. Just saying “I was bullied” makes me a little suspicious, Ruby’s perception of things is fascinating like the people talking outside her window and she was raging...

Reactions: 7
I started reading the Harry Potter series again this week and it is SO glaringly obvious that Ruby just took all descriptions of Hermione (from the first book) and modelled herself on them. The first chapter where we meet Hermione on the train she takes it upon herself to help the pitiful Neville to find his toad (even though he was already doing so himself), talks about how she's already memorised all their set textbooks for school, done a pile of extra readings (worrying that it will be enough), warns Harry and Ron to put on their uniforms and refers to the other students on the train as "noisy children" (despite being among the youngest there). Obviously Hermione's character develops far beyond this throughout the book and the entire series and becomes a genuinely loveable and inspirational character, however Ruby ignores this and emulates the know-it-all, condescending and overachieving 11 year old. Also sounds a LOT like Erimentha :ROFLMAO:
For real. I was once watching a “Best Hermione Granger moments in Philosopher’s Stone” video and the resemblance between 11yo Emma Watson and 21(?)yo Ruby was scary.

Reactions: 4
But ultimately, that might be something just a little too personal to address (if it's true)

Reactions: 13
Okay, I don’t wanna come across like I’m trying to label someone’s sexuality or that I’m assuming things about Ruby here, but I knew a girl like her in high school and I just wanna talk about it for a bit

So i knew a girl who was sort of similar to Ruby. Not obsessed with Harry Potter or anything, but she was a bit of a loner but very very organised and had the same “Victorian, posh” thing about her. She was always going on grades and routines, just that kinda thing.

She never had a boyfriend or girlfriend throughout school, which is totally normal!! But like, didn’t seem into anyone at all really. Whenever she was with us at lunch we’d bring up even something small like kissing this girl would just squirm and not join in.

Anyway I went off to uni and didn’t see her again. But my friends then told me that one of them went to the same uni as her and after graduating she has completely changed... which is amazing but like completely became confident in who she is.

She is basically into kink. Like very into it. Has a mistress and stuff. She’s gay now, but she has a blog and I’ve read it and it talks all about her high school experience where she felt shy and awkward. But now she’s into discipline and being told what to do and getting spanked by older women. This girl also wrote on her blog that she was obsessed with dressing vintage and pretending she’s a good little girl back in the day.

i mean... no shade, genuinely was just shocked reading this as it was not the same person in high school. I am so happy she’s realised what she fancies. But now when I look at Ruby, I can totally see the same traits in her... right down to pigtails, cute dresses, being obsessed with rules and order, being really organised and not showing any interest in relationships.

I dunno, just throwing this out there!! Obviously we don’t know anything but I just can’t get over the similarities. Even their photos on insta are the same!! Like purposely dressing younger and looking cute. I dunno... I just wanted to share. Maybe part of the reason she’s so organised and routine is because it turns her on. I have no idea haha but thought I’d post anyway
Firstly, I think this is a complete reach... and secondly, is this really ANYONES business? Is anyone’s sexuality or lack thereof really any the business of anyone but that person? She makes very young content, and her audience is mostly very young. Why should she have to bring up things like her sexuality just to satisfy speculators on Tattle? I think this is a bit much tbh.

Reactions: 45
That’s fine, we can disagree :)
It makes me uncomfortable because people would always question me about why I didn’t fancy anyone, so I have that POV. I also wouldn’t discuss other people’s turn ons (unless I was talking to them) because I think it’s quite personal and in general I don’t agree with questioning people’s sexuality. So I just wanted to offer a different view that sometimes things don’t have anything to do with sex & relationships. (Really not trying to argue :) )
I agree, some people are just very very private with romantic or sexual things and don't like to talk about them but that alone doesn't mean anything. Also asexual people exist. Ruby doesn't have to disclose anything about that.
Overall I think it's poor taste to speculate on people's sexual preferences or orientation without proof or anything really. For all we know she might have a boyfriend or girlfriend right now or she might have had relationships in the past. It would not be super hard for her to keep that private considering she curates everything she posts online. Or maybe not, that would be completely normal too.
The point is that assuming things about people's sexuality is weird and intrusive and if Ruby avoids to discuss it publicly we should not speculate.

Reactions: 22
I think we mostly speculate about it cause she specifically mentioned in her book reviews that she omits the romance parts and considers them boring, teenage-like and a waste of time. So at least to me it's more like she thinks she's better than others for not being interested in romance and relationships or similarly make up and "girly" stuff, rather than her not referring to this stuff at all.

Reactions: 10
I think we mostly speculate about it cause she specifically mentioned in her book reviews that she omits the romance parts and considers them boring, teenage-like and a waste of time. So at least to me it's more like she thinks she's better than others for not being interested in romance and relationships or similarly make up and "girly" stuff, rather than her not referring to this stuff at all.
That’s her preference. Speculating she’s a kink or something is a stretch though. Her preferences really aren’t anyone’s business but hers and her prospective partners. If she’s happy single, that’s also a thing too. It’s one of the least problematic things about her and I honestly think it’s very rude to speculate when the person hasn’t invited the conversation.

Reactions: 18
I agree, some people are just very very private with romantic or sexual things and don't like to talk about them but that alone doesn't mean anything. Also asexual people exist. Ruby doesn't have to disclose anything about that.
Overall I think it's poor taste to speculate on people's sexual preferences or orientation without proof or anything really. For all we know she might have a boyfriend or girlfriend right now or she might have had relationships in the past. It would not be super hard for her to keep that private considering she curates everything she posts online. Or maybe not, that would be completely normal too.
The point is that assuming things about people's sexuality is weird and intrusive and if Ruby avoids to discuss it publicly we should not speculate.
🤍 She has mentioned in a couple of Q&As that she doesn’t really see herself getting married/in a relationship. And I respect her for answering that but she also doesn’t owe anyone more than that.

I think sometimes convos can veer into the “there must be something she’s hiding” territory when someone isn’t following a “normal” route growing up/with their sexuality. I saw a bit of that on the Grackle thread. When in reality many people live without romantic and sexual desires, or they just find it uncomfortable to talk about.

It also doesn’t make anyone prudish or judgemental if they don’t like to talk about sex. :)

Reactions: 22
It’s a private school. Ruby changed the book to say that Erimentha had been given a scholarship, presumably to make the book a little more accessible.

Reactions: 6
Discussing someones possible kinks without their knowledge or consent is a step too far I think. It's private, unless she decides to speak about them (if she has any at all, not everyone does!). I know this is a gossip site, but for someone like Ruby who has rarely spoken about romance and stated she has no interest in relationships I don't think it's fair to speculate on the sexual side of her without her consent.
I have no issue speculating her sexuality to a degree, and whether she has had a relationship in the past (someone on twitter said she had) but kinks are just too far in my opinion. Her audience are quite young and her content has nothing to do with her sex life.
I think consent is the key word here, Rubys life is online and we discuss what she shows us (food, routine, study habits) but she has not consented to show us that side of her so we should respect that

Reactions: 40
Definitely. Also, it is a gossip thread, what we do on here is speculate! Like the eating disorders issue, it's something we're wondering about because of the information we have (her saying in Q&As she doesn't want a relationship, Erimentha's hatred of romance, 16 year old Ruby being almost angry about Hermione getting married), so it isn't groundless.

Reactions: 6
Definitely. Also, it is a gossip thread, what we do on here is speculate! Like the eating disorders issue, it's something we're wondering about because of the information we have (her saying in Q&As she doesn't want a relationship, Erimentha's hatred of romance, 16 year old Ruby being almost angry about Hermione getting married), so it isn't groundless.
But there's a difference between worrying about someone's health and the message they are sending to impressionable viewers (although I personally don't feel comfortable with diagnosing Ruby with an eating disorder) and speculating on their private sex life and sexual preferences. Sometimes gossip can go too far.

Reactions: 30
Not wanting to get married at 16 (still very young!) and deducting someone is some kind of fetishist are two very different ends of the spectrum. I’m not a fan of Ruby’s content (I find it childish) but on that note I would find it very odd if Ruby started discussing these things. She obviously wants to keep that aspect of her life fairly low key and private and I really think that speculating she’s got some kind of deviant tendency purely cos she doesn’t invite much of a conversation around it is honestly... odd.

Reactions: 24
Not wanting to get married at 16 (still very young!) and deducting someone is some kind of fetishist are two very different ends of the spectrum. I’m not a fan of Ruby’s content (I find it childish) but on that note I would find it very odd if Ruby started discussing these things. She obviously wants to keep that aspect of her life fairly low key and private and I really think that speculating she’s got some kind of deviant tendency purely cos she doesn’t invite much of a conversation around it is honestly... odd.
But there's a difference between worrying about someone's health and the message they are sending to impressionable viewers (although I personally don't feel comfortable with diagnosing Ruby with an eating disorder) and speculating on their private sex life and sexual preferences. Sometimes gossip can go too far.
I definitely agree about speculating about kink (that's a messed up thing to do), but I mean more regarding speculating about her sexuality/lack of interest in relationships - I think her implication that relationships = bad isn't a healthy thing to show her young viewers. Also, for what it's worth, I think the poster writing about kink was maybe trying to say something more about how people who are shy/rigid when they're young can later grow up to realise they were ignoring or repressing something, not actively saying Ruby has an issue with kink (although I agree it was badly worded and other posters took it too far).

Reactions: 5
Usual comments apply. Just as a wee warning, if you didn't already know, the parent's favouritism between the siblings may be difficult for some here as the book continues. We don't know what the real dynamic is at home between Ruby and Martha, but I'm guessing the inspiration had to come from somewhere.

The volcano gives a bomb-ass performance and looks really good. Erimentha and Simone draw some diagrams and write a conclusion together about it, but once Simone leaves, in an act of scholastic infidelity, Erimentha spends two hours writing an essay about it to bulk out the work.

She does some room rearranging, organises her candles, fairly inoffensive stuff that you'd see on a Cottagecore StudyTuber's video. Mum comes into her room and they talk about the time they visited the British museum. Mum reminds Erimentha that the other museum curators were impressed at Erimentha lecturing them on their subjects of expertise, and how other children were complaining how bored they were.

By other children, they mean Nathan. They had to promise him a trip to the Lego store, and they laugh together at his silliness. Nathan - you are kind, you are loved, you matter!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.