Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You can enjoy learning about something without dressing up and acting it out. Ruby frequently does romanticised acting videos on her channel and I can't see anything changing in this one. These horrible comments on her Instagram really highlight the immaturity and ignorance of her fans, and I find it quite disturbing that she hasn't stepped in considering how often she talks about anti-bullying campaigns. 'How do we know Ruby is wealthy?' - it's obvious from her home, the companies she is able to shop at, her job, the fact she's a landlord. It's evident Ruby has no experience of actually having to worry about money.

I also find the fact that she doesn't attract many viewers her own age a bit strange? Most other study tubers seem to have a lot of university age followers, and Ruby's been uploading videos for so long that you'd think her followers would have stuck around but they all seem to be very young and impressionable, idolising Ruby to an unhealthy degree.

Reactions: 22
You can enjoy learning about something without dressing up and acting it out. Ruby frequently does romanticised acting videos on her channel and I can't see anything changing in this one. These horrible comments on her Instagram really highlight the immaturity and ignorance of her fans, and I find it quite disturbing that she hasn't stepped in considering how often she talks about anti-bullying campaigns. 'How do we know Ruby is wealthy?' - it's obvious from her home, the companies she is able to shop at, her job, the fact she's a landlord. It's evident Ruby has no experience of actually having to worry about money.

I also find the fact that she doesn't attract many viewers her own age a bit strange? Most other study tubers seem to have a lot of university age followers, and Ruby's been uploading videos for so long that you'd think her followers would have stuck around but they all seem to be very young and impressionable, idolising Ruby to an unhealthy degree.
Yeah it's so clear the people acting like Ruby is not clearly very wealthy are children with no concept of how money or the economy works. You know how when you're 11-12 you think you're going to be married with a nice house in the suburbs and 2.5 kids by the age of 20? Or that you're going to be able to travel all over the world at 18?

Reactions: 20
You can enjoy learning about something without dressing up and acting it out. Ruby frequently does romanticised acting videos on her channel and I can't see anything changing in this one.
It is a thing, though. Watch any history documentary on the BBC and you can pretty much guarantee you’ll see Lucy Worsley wandering around an old house in a fancy frock.

Reactions: 5
Theres a difference between Ruby making a well researched video about the Victorian working class morning routines and talking through it with evidence ... vs acting it all out, charcoal on her cheeks, in her mini mansion in the countryside.

And we all know she'd do the second.

Reactions: 18
Theres a difference between Ruby making a well researched video about the Victorian working class morning routines and talking through it with evidence ... vs acting it all out, charcoal on her cheeks, in her mini mansion in the countryside.

I’ve no idea how she can do anything else. It would be really strange for her to pretend to be working class and Victorian in her manor house, unless she goes down the servant route (which I bet she does). Whatever she does is going to be slightly tasteless play-acting with juvenile analysis - ‘this is a bathroom, poor Victorians didn’t have bathrooms and they washed using jugs in their bedrooms. This is my bedroom, poor Victorians would have had to share bedrooms and it would have been very cold. I like the cold!’

Reactions: 17
I’ve no idea how she can do anything else. It would be really strange for her to pretend to be working class and Victorian in her manor house, unless she goes down the servant route (which I bet she does). Whatever she does is going to be slightly tasteless play-acting with juvenile analysis - ‘this is a bathroom, poor Victorians didn’t have bathrooms and they washed using jugs in their bedrooms. This is my bedroom, poor Victorians would have had to share bedrooms and it would have been very cold. I like the cold!’
I mean she loves being underdressed for the weather and eating very little food and very bland food, so in that sense she's used to living like a poor Victorian orphan lol

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Yeah it's so clear the people acting like Ruby is not clearly very wealthy are children with no concept of how money or the economy works. You know how when you're 11-12 you think you're going to be married with a nice house in the suburbs and 2.5 kids by the age of 20? Or that you're going to be able to travel all over the world at 18?
Yeah - Ruby doesn't really address her privilege in this manner. I'm not saying that she has to discuss her finances in depth, but in her studio flat video she didnt even address the price.

It is a thing, though. Watch any history documentary on the BBC and you can pretty much guarantee you’ll see Lucy Worsley wandering around an old house in a fancy frock.

Yeah definitely, I do wonder whether Ruby has taken inspiration from Lucy Worsley, and possibly the documentaries Ruth Goodman used to do. The way Ruby talks about the past is so romanticised though (I'm thinking back to that Instagram post asking who else would like to live in the 19th century) that I can't see her stepping back and addressing truly how a lot of these people would have lived.

Reactions: 3
One of the responses to the person asking Ruby to reconsider her working class morning routine are saying "what makes you think Ruby is rich?"

I don't like to assume, but maybe the fact that she became a landlord at 18, receives thousands of pounds worth of presents at Christmas and lives in a mansion in the countryside seems to suggest that to me though

• Haha
Reactions: 43
One of the responses to the person asking Ruby to reconsider her working class morning routine are saying "what makes you think Ruby is rich?"

I don't like to assume, but maybe the fact that she became a landlord at 18, receives thousands of pounds worth of presents at Christmas and lives in a mansion in the countryside seems to suggest that to me though
Didn't she also go to private school?

Reactions: 8
duck me, she shouldn’t even be doing it, they’re too rich to get any student finance which means either her dad can afford to just pay for everything outright which means he’s easier earning ALOT or they didn’t provide any information to them, I don’t give a tit what route she goes down, she knows nothing about being working class, she’s not even middle class. The poster is absolutely right. The girl too money off a charity, the persona is slipping, if she does do it, she’ll be like Jade is currently, dragged by half her audience and arselicked by half. If she had some sense she wouldn’t do it but there’s no stopping Ruby is there

• Wow
Reactions: 21
Has she talked about student finance before? Obviously she's rich enough to not need a maintenance loan but do her parents pay tuition as well? The concept of being rich enough to pay tuition upfront is so abstract to me 😂😭

Reactions: 7
Has she talked about student finance before? Obviously she's rich enough to not need a maintenance loan but do her parents pay tuition as well? The concept of being rich enough to pay tuition upfront is so abstract to me 😂😭
She did a “what I spent in a week as a student” style video which included overpriced food from either Ocado or Sainsbury’s, a train ticket home (a journey she took most weekends especially in first year) which cost £50 and private therapy sessions.

I think it’s safe to say she’s a little out of touch

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I know quite a few people who went to private schools whose parents continued to pay their tuition at uni. £9k a year is significantly less than the fees at most independent schools - for reference the annual fees at Ruby’s day school are currently just under £20k and if you were a full boarder at the very famous school just down the road from her house, you’d be looking at an annual fee of just over £40k so uni seems like a bit of a bargain, even with accommodation etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
I know quite a few people who went to private schools whose parents continued to pay their tuition at uni. £9k a year is significantly less than the fees at most independent schools - for reference the annual fees at Ruby’s day school are currently just under £20k and if you were a full boarder at the very famous school just down the road from her house, you’d be looking at an annual fee of just over £40k so uni seems like a bit of a bargain, even with accommodation etc.
Yeah I was gonna say, her parents could afford to send both their kids to private school for their entire education, uni fees are probably small change to them

Reactions: 18
the only time i can remember ruby "saying" that they have financial worry or something is in erimentha parker's to do list (i mean erimentha is her sooo hahaha) like she mentioned in the book that if not because of the scholarship, she can't enter the private school and whatnot

Reactions: 1
Being oblivious to one's own cushy circumstances isn't just exclusive to Ruby as it turns out. Here you go!

Erimentha is with her mum, and asks her if she knows what the coldest temperature ever recorded was. Her mum hazards a guess and it's incorrect. Erimentha is disappointed that her mum's guess was lower than the actual temperature and God, couldn't she have been given more of an intellectual giant in a mother than this simpering fool?

Erimentha tells her mum that she doesn't feel tourists should visit the Antarctic because of petrol and the sea, but she'd go if it was to help penguins, because that's totally a non-tourist move.

Mum hates the cold weather as it's depressing. Erimentha goes about how amazing autumn and warm blankets are until Mum browbeaten into agreement.

An elderly woman commends Erimentha's mum on how well-behaved and charming Erimentha is, because her own grandchildren love technology and thus, deserve to be put on a one-way rocket into the sun. Erimentha's mum ponders the social acceptability of proposing a swap.

They go to a coffee shop. Erimentha tops up her hot chocolate with cold water to not burn her tongue. Mum orders black coffee and being a total simpleton, burns her tongue. "Why didn't I follow your example?" We've already established this, you amoeba!

Erimentha sees miniature jam pots served with the cream teas and wants to take some as candle holders. The shop owners have no qualms in giving away their stock.

Back home, Erimentha is thrilled at how cold the weather is, oblivious of the privilege of being protected in a large house, warm blankets and heating. She surrounds herself by a ring of candlelight, possibly in a ritual to summon the dark spirits.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.