Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm genuinely surprised in Jade's time living in Berlin we never got moody pictures of her at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. The two of them don't seem to have any real cultural awareness or understanding of how their privilege comes across.
Same. I was expecting a sombre selfie or some crappy artistic shots of her posing, balancing between the monuments. :sick: Maybe there is hope for a brighter tomorrow after all.

Reactions: 7
I also was part of the youth ambassador scheme and did the same as what you did. The whole trip is one I will never forget, to this day I can still feel how chilling it was to be stood there and quite honestly I find it hard to put into words the experience. Plus getting to hear the testimony of an actual survivor was just (for want of a ‘better’ word) incredible. One memory that sticks out for me was walking through the camp and walking past a lady getting her picture taken. She was posing for the camera, throwing up a peace sign and smiling. Whilst I’m sure she had no ill intentions, I was just absolutely disgusted. How could she stand there and even just get a picture taken of herself, almost trivialising the camp and the history and the SUFFERING that went on there, how could you be smiling about that?? But anyways, I can totally imagine these ‘influencers’ doing this. Especially Ruby and Jade, I can see them getting “sombre” pictures of themselves looking sadly at the sky or smth taken inside the camp just to post on social media to “”bring awareness””. During my visit I did take pictures of the camp itself (and a graveyard we visited in the nearby town of Oświęcim) but that was purely for the sake of my follow up project presentation, so I could share my own personal reflections from my point of view). If it weren’t for that I probably wouldn’t have taken photos at all. I realise I am going off topic here but yeah, I just feel like people like Ruby would use a visit to Auschwitz or other camps as a social media opportunity :/
My middle school took us to visit Dachau while on a trip to Munich and if I remember correctly, it was actually forbidden to take pictures there. Either it was a rule that the memorial had for everyone, or it was a rule that our teachers made for us specifically (because we were 70 13-year-olds and obviously at that age you may not be mature enough yet to understand why it would be inappropriate), I can't remember exactly, but either way it was made very clear that taking pictures was inappropriate. And honestly you did not feel like taking pictures while you were there.

Reactions: 7
A 5 page resume?! I thought the standard was 1 page, unless it's an academic (PhD or postdoc level) CV or 10+ years of relevant work experience. And no bullet points to boot. And she writes a whole spiel about being head girl. Here, we're told to drop that sort of stuff off the resume after the first year of university (including high school grades etc.), but maybe it's different in other places?
Not entirely defending her here, but that looks like the LinkedIn resume that is generated from your profile, so it wouldn't be what she actually uses in job applications. Generally you put as much as you can (within reason) on your LinkedIn. That being said, she could do with condensing a lot of her points.

Reactions: 3
Same. I was expecting a sombre selfie or some crappy artistic shots of her posing, balancing between the monuments. :sick: Maybe there is hope for a brighter tomorrow after all.
If you’re gonna take an offensive and insensitive picture at a concentration camp, I genuinely think these type of fake sad ones are worse than the cringe poses and peace signs ones

Reactions: 3
I don’t want to make anyone jealous but I did play Mary in the school nativity twice. I didn’t put it on my CV and now I’m wondering if that’s why I got rejected from my most recent job application?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Not entirely defending her here, but that looks like the LinkedIn resume that is generated from your profile, so it wouldn't be what she actually uses in job applications. Generally you put as much as you can (within reason) on your LinkedIn. That being said, she could do with condensing a lot of her points.
Well yeah but that's the thing - she included some most cringy stuff in her profile. I didn't even mention anything before uni tbh cause it's not even important unless you did sth remarkable (being a head girl is not). It's embarrassing honestly cause everyone can see that you include the most pointless stuff just because you have very little experience. But it won't make them more interested in the person, rather the contrary lol.

Reactions: 12
Well yeah but that's the thing - she included some most cringy stuff in her profile. I didn't even mention anything before uni tbh cause it's not even important unless you did sth remarkable (being a head girl is not). It's embarrassing honestly cause everyone can see that you include the most pointless stuff just because you have very little experience. But it won't make them more interested in the person, rather the contrary lol.
Oh absolutely agree with you there, this was more aimed at the fact it was a five page document. It's only that long because that's how it looks when LinkedIn generates it.

That being said, I don't think head girl is that bad of a thing to have on your LinkedIn as it shows you were very involved in your academic studies. (Though I would just put it alongside her school name with the education section, not as it's own thing) It's the way she quantifies her experience on her LinkedIn that makes it look a bit odd, nobody cares what you actually did as a head girl. You should be able to condense most of your experiences into one or two bullet points.

Then again, I don't have anything pre University on mine either. I think Ruby needs a new, private, LinkedIn with her real name and details.

Reactions: 12
I think she should get 2 seperate LinkedIns. She obviously wants to use her influencer and social media stuff and tbh fair. Use "Ruby Granger" for that. But for actual job hunting she really should get a proper LinkedIn with her real name.
Imo there's nothing wrong with having a pen name, especially when you want to seperate your academic and your creative work. But she definitely should make this distinction, because currently they just seem to bleed together.

Reactions: 24
I also was part of the youth ambassador scheme and did the same as what you did. The whole trip is one I will never forget, to this day I can still feel how chilling it was to be stood there and quite honestly I find it hard to put into words the experience. Plus getting to hear the testimony of an actual survivor was just (for want of a ‘better’ word) incredible. One memory that sticks out for me was walking through the camp and walking past a lady getting her picture taken. She was posing for the camera, throwing up a peace sign and smiling. Whilst I’m sure she had no ill intentions, I was just absolutely disgusted. How could she stand there and even just get a picture taken of herself, almost trivialising the camp and the history and the SUFFERING that went on there, how could you be smiling about that?? But anyways, I can totally imagine these ‘influencers’ doing this. Especially Ruby and Jade, I can see them getting “sombre” pictures of themselves looking sadly at the sky or smth taken inside the camp just to post on social media to “”bring awareness””. During my visit I did take pictures of the camp itself (and a graveyard we visited in the nearby town of Oświęcim) but that was purely for the sake of my follow up project presentation, so I could share my own personal reflections from my point of view). If it weren’t for that I probably wouldn’t have taken photos at all. I realise I am going off topic here but yeah, I just feel like people like Ruby would use a visit to Auschwitz or other camps as a social media opportunity :/
I think we've done the same project! Oświęcim is absolutely beautiful!

Reactions: 2
My middle school took us to visit Dachau while on a trip to Munich and if I remember correctly, it was actually forbidden to take pictures there. Either it was a rule that the memorial had for everyone, or it was a rule that our teachers made for us specifically (because we were 70 13-year-olds and obviously at that age you may not be mature enough yet to understand why it would be inappropriate), I can't remember exactly, but either way it was made very clear that taking pictures was inappropriate. And honestly you did not feel like taking pictures while you were there.
I visited Dachau on the anniversary of the camp’s liberation. I hadn’t actually known it was a significant day, there was a big gathering with speeches (in languages I don’t understand) but as the grounds were open as normal, I walked around and saw everything alone. I mean literally, I went to see the crematorium and the gas chambers and the exhibit and there was no one else there but me and my guidebook and absolute silence. It remains one of the most significant and sobering experiences of my life.

Reactions: 11
I think we've done the same project! Oświęcim is absolutely beautiful!
Cool! When did you go? I believe I went in a October 2016 :) I wish I could say the same but the weather was atrocious the day we were there and we went straight to the graveyard. I would love to go back one day and look around more.

There are two chapter 8's in the book, so I'm going with it. Ruby, for goodness sake, LinkedIn is your equivalent of visiting a scary grandmother on a Sunday - best behaviour, keep it professional.

They're in class and Mr Aldridge is telling them which class sets they're in. Beth is in the same set as Erimentha, and she, Izzy and Kimberly start complaining about it.

Erimentha turns round to tell them to STFU, when Mr Aldridge tells Erimentha to turn around and pay attention. YES! Those power poses in front of the mirror worked, he has found his voice!

Erimentha cries - unlikely out of sadness, but more out of the injustice at having been told off.

At lunchtime, Erimentha ruminates at not having told anyone in authority about the water incident as she has carved out a confident and near-to-perfect image of herself in the school. Izzy tells her reading makes people unpopular [Ed: I was a bookworm at school and if anything it increased my street cred when other kids needed the answers] and nicks her flapjack.

It's form time, and they're told their email addresses are their full-names with the school domain name, and they all have the same password. If you haven't already guessed, this is relevant to the plot and some of the worst IT security since Q gave Silva M16 access in Skyfall.

Erimentha goes to a tennis lesson which pads out the chapter a bit, her mum is reading, 'Country Living' and possibly, 'How to destroy your child's self-esteem'. Once home, Erimentha goes to check her emails.

Her head of year has sent her an email, saying how inappropriate her behaviour has been and needs to be punished. Ruh-roh.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
There are two chapter 8's in the book, so I'm going with it. Ruby, for goodness sake, LinkedIn is your equivalent of visiting a scary grandmother on a Sunday - best behaviour, keep it professional.

They're in class and Mr Aldridge is telling them which class sets they're in. Beth is in the same set as Erimentha, and she, Izzy and Kimberly start complaining about it.

Erimentha turns round to tell them to STFU, when Mr Aldridge tells Erimentha to turn around and pay attention. YES! Those power poses in front of the mirror worked, he has found his voice!

Erimentha cries - unlikely out of sadness, but more out of the injustice at having been told off.

At lunchtime, Erimentha ruminates at not having told anyone in authority about the water incident as she has carved out a confident and near-to-perfect image of herself in the school. Izzy tells her reading makes people unpopular [Ed: I was a bookworm at school and if anything it increased my street cred when other kids needed the answers] and nicks her flapjack.

It's form time, and they're told their email addresses are their full-names with the school domain name, and they all have the same password. If you haven't already guessed, this is relevant to the plot and some of the worst IT security since Q gave Silva M16 access in Skyfall.

Erimentha goes to a tennis lesson which pads out the chapter a bit, her mum is reading, 'Country Living' and possibly, 'How to destroy your child's self-esteem'. Once home, Erimentha goes to check her emails.

Her head of year has sent her an email, saying how inappropriate her behaviour has been and needs to be punished. Ruh-roh.
What do you mean by two chapter 8s?

Thank you for these they are incredible 😂 the book sounds ridiculous

Reactions: 4
Long time lurker, first time poster - hello everyone!

I noticed in one of her recent IG posts that she has a copy of Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History' on her bookshelf - this is my favourite book of all time and i get excited whenever anyone has read it. But i really really do hope Ruby actually reads it just so she can bloody learn something from it.

Basically the jist of it (without spoilers, don't worry!) is that it follows a working class boy in 1980s America who moves to a new college to study ancient Greek and meets these super pretentious, isolated, horrible rich students who he romanticises way too much and ends up becoming an accomplice to a murder. Although the term makes me cringe, its generally seen as being the 'dark academia bible' which I know is an -aesthetic- which Ruby likes to romanticise a lot.

But the thing is, The Secret History is a SATIRE! All of its characters are comically dreadful people and its entire point is that romanticising horrible posh people just for the aesthetics will often lead you into doing horrible things and generally living an unhappy life. The book is absolutely incredible if you look at it from this lens, but unfortunately a lot of the dArK aCaDeMiA people tend to completely misread it and romanticise all of the characters instead. This, I fear is what Ruby will do if she reads/has read it. Which is a shame because it could be the perfect book to wake her up in regards to her privilege.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Long time lurker, first time poster - hello everyone!

I noticed in one of her recent IG posts that she has a copy of Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History' on her bookshelf - this is my favourite book of all time and i get excited whenever anyone has read it. But i really really do hope Ruby actually reads it just so she can bloody learn something from it.

Basically the jist of it (without spoilers, don't worry!) is that it follows a working class boy in 1980s America who moves to a new college to study ancient Greek and meets these super pretentious, isolated, horrible rich students who he romanticises way too much and ends up becoming an accomplice to a murder. Although the term makes me cringe, its generally seen as being the 'dark academia bible' which I know is an -aesthetic- which Ruby likes to romanticise a lot.

But the thing is, The Secret History is a SATIRE! All of its characters are comically dreadful people and its entire point is that romanticising horrible posh people just for the aesthetics will often lead you into doing horrible things and generally living an unhappy life. The book is absolutely incredible if you look at it from this lens, but unfortunately a lot of the dArK aCaDeMiA people tend to completely misread it and romanticise all of the characters instead. This, I fear is what Ruby will do if she reads/has read it. Which is a shame because it could be the perfect book to wake her up in regards to her privilege.
From what I remember she didn't finish it in the end. Probs because of drugs, alcohol, swear words, sex and other stuff she refuses to read about lol.

Reactions: 11
From what I remember she didn't finish it in the end. Probs because of drugs, alcohol, swear words, sex and other stuff she refuses to read about lol.
Yeah, and she did just romanticise the entire book.

Reactions: 5
Cool! When did you go? I believe I went in a October 2016 :) I wish I could say the same but the weather was atrocious the day we were there and we went straight to the graveyard. I would love to go back one day and look around more.
2017! Oddly enough, it was raining so heavily when I went too. If ever you go back, check out the market square - so rich in history and really lively (when there's not a pandemic!)

Poor Mr. Aldridge needs a raise

Reactions: 20
Thanks for talking about the linkedin, I realised I needed to update my academic linked in with my experience for this term!

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Nothing in literature has shocked me as much as Mr. Aldridge's revelation as a villain since Hermione's change from an irritating little twerp to a good, well-rounded, polite and heroic character!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.