Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can someone let me know when this goes back to the Ruby thread or do I need to go to the jkr thread and start talking about Ruby

• Haha
Reactions: 61
I agree, but I do bad for ruby though. She’s like this because her mum enables it and encourages it, her mum seems like she’s not really done much apart from raise kids, work part time and write blog posts. She’s been very involved with rubys videos recently as well (prob due to lockdown) and the way she acts with ruby, it’s like she doesn’t see a problem at all. I understand it to an extent, some parents struggle when they realise all their kids have left home to get jobs or go to uni, they want to hang on to them as if they’re still kids, but it’s just going to damage ruby in the long term
hmm i don't think the issue is being a stay at home mum and doing part time work, it's a matter of if she has interests outside her kids! don't get me wrong, being a mum would be a huge part of your identity but you need to have something in place to do when your kids move out... if not, its going to kill you and like you said, she will struggle!

not going to quote anything here but going back to Rubys reading. if you're a very avid reader i think there is no problem with reading a middle grade fiction book from time to time. i think it just matters WHY you're reading the book. are you reading for a light read and a little bit of escapism (especially now due to the pandemic) or are you reading it to regress???

Reactions: 6
I agree. Has anyone seen this? It's so weird how she talks to her https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGx...tory_media_id=2374270047406525454_39247334895
Hiya long time lurker and fan of the book reviews 😌

I was actually surprised to see Ruby looking a lot less little girly on the mums account bar one selfie where rubes is sporting the everlasting boater - I even spied a pair of Nike Air Force ones in a pic this summer!! Take it to the runway!

wondering if the ramping up of the little girly act might be either coping with pandemic anxiety or an attempt to play to her historic fan base (or maybe a bit of both)? It does seem to be escalating with each spon con blunder which would certainly give me anxiety (I’d never sleep again)
Also I did notice that when she first moved to uni she seemed to grow up loads, ditched the friendly shire horse fringe, dabbled in makeup, more mature attitude. Wonder if she lost followers/engagement and had to frantically dust off the boater and her best frolicking shoes to try and claw it back. A shame! I was rooting for you ruby, we were all rooting for you!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Fellas I’m pretty sure JKR has her own threads on here where you can either trash / stan her, this is the worst direction for this thread to go, as everyone either sees her as a transphobic old hag or vehemently wants to defend her and it just degenerates into arguments.
I’m not surprised Ruby hasn’t spoken on JKR tbh, whatever her opinion is, she knows it’ll create conflict and would probably lose followers from it
hmm i don't think the issue is being a stay at home mum and doing part time work, it's a matter of if she has interests outside her kids! don't get me wrong, being a mum would be a huge part of your identity but you need to have something in place to do when your kids move out... if not, its going to kill you and like you said, she will struggle!

not going to quote anything here but going back to Rubys reading. if you're a very avid reader i think there is no problem with reading a middle grade fiction book from time to time. i think it just matters WHY you're reading the book. are you reading for a light read and a little bit of escapism (especially now due to the pandemic) or are you reading it to regress???
Yeah thats what I mean, I’m not sure that her mum does have many other interests, she seems to live through her kids a bit :/
I wonder what her dad makes of it all, he seems to be out working a lot tbf so I’m not sure how involved he is

Reactions: 26
Agree this isn’t a JKR thread, but I will say I definitely remember Ruby posting something on her insta story, I think when JKR published her essay after the initial tweet. I mention it because it’s an interesting pattern - Ruby addressing controversy on stories that obviously vanish in 24 hours. She did the exact same with the Holocaust ad situation, and there’s something odd about that to me. Surely if you genuinely mean something, you shouldn’t address it in a self destructing message??

Reactions: 23
Can we please talk about her wall with the collage of children's pictures? Does anyone else find it weird/concerning that she has a clear obsession with prepubescent children and young teens? I mentioned this before, but in her 10,000 words in a day video, she had this picture of a young Mackenzie Foy just sitting on her desk. Idk, as an adult, I wouldn't put pictures of children who I am not related to on my wall. I also mentioned this in another post, but this would be a huge red flag if an adult man were to have this for "aesthetic" purposes. Something about it rubs me the wrong way View attachment 414123View attachment 414108
Sorry for the late reply (the speed this thread moves! 😍) But her pinterest is FULL of photos of pre pubescent children too. Creepy

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Hiya long time lurker and fan of the book reviews 😌

I was actually surprised to see Ruby looking a lot less little girly on the mums account bar one selfie where rubes is sporting the everlasting boater - I even spied a pair of Nike Air Force ones in a pic this summer!! Take it to the runway!

wondering if the ramping up of the little girly act might be either coping with pandemic anxiety or an attempt to play to her historic fan base (or maybe a bit of both)? It does seem to be escalating with each spon con blunder which would certainly give me anxiety (I’d never sleep again)
Also I did notice that when she first moved to uni she seemed to grow up loads, ditched the friendly shire horse fringe, dabbled in makeup, more mature attitude. Wonder if she lost followers/engagement and had to frantically dust off the boater and her best frolicking shoes to try and claw it back. A shame! I was rooting for you ruby, we were all rooting for you!
Hahaha everlasting boater and shire horse fringe 🤭. Good post, yes her first year was promising but the past year especially seems to have been regressive.

Reactions: 9
That reminded me of when this girl imitated her routine

I watched it a few years ago and remember finding it hilarious and finally was able to find the video again

I think Ruby is too pretentious for her own good
Take a shot every time ruby says "and then...."

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Take a shot every time ruby says "and then...."
Followed by ”I decided”. No wonder she goes on and on about decision fatigue if she has to constantly make a big deal about deciding to open the window or what to have for a snack.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Followed by ”I decided”. No wonder she goes on and on about decision fatigue if she has to constantly make a big deal about deciding to open the window or what to have for a snack.
I always find her use of the phrase very interesting. Normally, if it's routine things, you don't 'decide' to do them, you just... do them? Deciding to brush your teeth, deciding to make your bed, deciding to check your emails - it should be all very passive stuff. You shouldn't need to be so hyper-engaged when you do the smallest of tasks.

Reactions: 18
It's just before bedtime and Erimentha is performing a one-woman Shakespere show for her mother. No mention of Nathan - the Spartans would leave the weakest children out in the wild to fend for themselves. Mum doesn't understand the appeal of Shakespeare, "But don't tell Grandma!"

"Grandmama," Erimentha corrects her. Mum, can you stop being such a bleeping idiot and realise we're to speak Victoriana!

She has picked out a lilac dress and hopes her mum will wear a purple one to church so they match. Daughter Dearest vibes and I'm getting the willies.

Erimentha wakes up and decides to learn Morse code before breakfast. She tries to collude with her father to drop out of this BBQ but he mentions mum will be really upset if they miss it. For the first time in this book, she considers the feelings of another person.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
It's just before bedtime and Erimentha is performing a one-woman Shakespere show for her mother. No mention of Nathan - the Spartans would leave the weakest children out in the wild to fend for themselves. Mum doesn't understand the appeal of Shakespeare, "But don't tell Grandma!"

Erimentha wakes up and decides to learn Morse code before breakfast.
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

This is so embarrassing, if I were Ruby I would've bought all the copies and paid all the money to have it deleted from the existence. Cringe is too real and I'm not even the one reading this book.

Reactions: 17
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

This is so embarrassing, if I were Ruby I would've bought all the copies and paid all the money to have it deleted from the existence. Cringe is too real and I'm not even the one reading this book.
Pretty sure she can pull it from Amazon and stop selling it whenever she wants so clearly she's not that embarrassed about it. At least I guess she could do that since it was self-published?

Reactions: 11
This was one of my overriding memories of the book, that the sibling seems to just ... disappear later on. I guess even fictional characters can decide that it’s too embarrassing and they don’t want to be involved.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Pretty sure she can pull it from Amazon and stop selling it whenever she wants so clearly she's not that embarrassed about it. At least I guess she could do that since it was self-published?
She also links it in the descriptions for her videos, so evidently wants people to read it. A lot of people wrote things when they were younger (I'm pretty sure I wrote some particularly embarrassing fan fiction as a young teenager) - I don't know how she can look back at this and think 'Yes, this is a perfectly valid way for Erimentha to treat other people, no flaws here!'. The book seems to read like Erimentha has some sort of revelation at the end about her attitude but I don't think that'll actually happen.

Reactions: 8
She also links it in the descriptions for her videos, so evidently wants people to read it. A lot of people wrote things when they were younger (I'm pretty sure I wrote some particularly embarrassing fan fiction as a young teenager) - I don't know how she can look back at this and think 'Yes, this is a perfectly valid way for Erimentha to treat other people, no flaws here!'. The book seems to read like Erimentha has some sort of revelation at the end about her attitude but I don't think that'll actually happen.
That would require Ruby having some sort of revelation about her (Ruby's Erimentha's) attitude but I don't think it has happened as of yet

Reactions: 6
Even she was forced to try to make Erimentha more palatable after all the negative reviews. So I imagine it was a bit of a blow to her ego after having been so excited to promote it to have it mostly rejected. She really should have had someone read it before she published it though, it would have saved her the embarrassment of having to re edit it because your protagonist was that unlikeable (not that she seemed to care).

Reactions: 12
Even she was forced to try to make Erimentha more palatable after all the negative reviews. So I imagine it was a bit of a blow to her ego after having been so excited to promote it to have it mostly rejected. She really should have had someone read it before she published it though, it would have saved her the embarrassment of having to re edit it because your protagonist was that unlikeable (not that she seemed to care).
I think in general, in most cases, teens don't have the self-awareness, life experience or writing experience to write non-cringy stuff.
I used to write a lot when I was about 13 to 16 but I think even then I was self-aware enough to know that none of it was good enough to be published. Like it would not have occurred to me to sell my stories, most of them didn't even make it to fanfiction websites lmao
It's kind of unbelievable that Ruby is still selling that at 21.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.