Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
she could learn how to do different hairstyles from different eras (her hair is pretty long)
Talking of hairstyles, is it just me who is driven absolutely crazy by how messy Ruby is at styling her hair? She has really lovely hair but just never seems to practise styling it and when she puts it up it looks a state (for example, at 6:17 in the scullery maid video her bun is falling apart - she obviously did it in two takes because the falling-apart bun has a red velvet scrunchie, whereas the much nicer one - presumably the second - has a black ribbon). So many of her attempted vintage hairstyles look completely wrong (remember her wildly over-accessorised Emma booklook hair?) and as someone who is very into vintage clothes and hairstyling it just irritates me so much. There are so many easy ways to practise vintage hair, Ruby!

Reactions: 6
Erimentha arrives for PE before her peers as she now wishes to demonstrate her physical superiority. She hears her classmates talk about 'meaningless' things such as TV shows and weekend plans.

They start playing tennis and her serve is perfect, because of course it is.

There's a bit of back and forth between her and the others.

Suddenly, everything goes white

-------

No, she's not dead, it would be God meeting her at the gate anyway, not some amateur like St. Peter.

She's concussed and the school nurse is there.

Kimberly hit her with the tennis ball. Her mum is on her way to take her to hospital.

--------

She's in A&E and having a wonderful time observing the sick people around her. She guesses a man has a broken arm by looking at his ulna bone and notes how much pain he is in. You stay away from him, Erimentha Shipman!

Her mum bought some things to the hospital - not packed by her, because in this novel, she is mentally regressing at an alarming rate, she wouldn't be able to pick the right stuff - Erimentha had already procured an Emergency Hospital Supplies Kit. This is not a joke.

The doctor marvels at Erminetha, telling her she's the most medically-informed child she has ever met, because that's what most NHS doctors have time to do. Ruby needs to read House of God and understand the meaning of the word GOMER

Erimentha passes the broken-arm man on the way out, offering her condolences and hoping he recovers quickly and painlessly. Never, ever, let this girl near you with a syringe.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
Erimentha arrives for PE before her peers as she now wishes to demonstrate her physical superiority. She hears her classmates talk about 'meaningless' things such as TV shows and weekend plans.

-------

No, she's not dead, it would be God meeting her at the gate anyway, not some amateur like St. Peter.

Kimberly hit her with the tennis ball. Her mum is on her way to take her to hospital.

--------

She's in A&E and having a wonderful time observing the sick people around her. She guesses a man has a broken arm by looking at his ulna bone and notes how much pain he is in. You stay away from him, Erimentha Shipman!

Her mum bought some things to the hospital - not packed by her, because in this novel, she is mentally regressing at an alarming rate, she wouldn't be able to pick the right stuff - Erimentha had already procured an Emergency Hospital Supplies Kit. This is not a joke.

The doctor marvels at Erminetha, telling her she's the most medically-informed child she has ever met, because that's what most NHS doctors have time to do. Ruby needs to read House of God and understand the meaning of the word GOMER

Erimentha passes the broken-arm man on the way out, offering her condolences and hoping he recovers quickly and painlessly. Never, ever, let this girl near you with a syringe.
Does anything happen at all in this book? Like anything of significance? And I still don't understand what the to do list in the title has to do with anything lmao

Reactions: 24

-------

--------

I love the House of God reference🤧

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Talking of hairstyles, is it just me who is driven absolutely crazy by how messy Ruby is at styling her hair? She has really lovely hair but just never seems to practise styling it and when she puts it up it looks a state (for example, at 6:17 in the scullery maid video her bun is falling apart - she obviously did it in two takes because the falling-apart bun has a red velvet scrunchie, whereas the much nicer one - presumably the second - has a black ribbon). So many of her attempted vintage hairstyles look completely wrong (remember her wildly over-accessorised Emma booklook hair?) and as someone who is very into vintage clothes and hairstyling it just irritates me so much. There are so many easy ways to practise vintage hair, Ruby!
Her hair would look so pretty in a Dutch braid. It was basically my go-to hairstyle when I had very long hair. Very easy and super classy and versatile. And if you roll it up and pin it in place it's a super easy elegant/vintage-ish updo for special occasions.

Reactions: 9
Does anything happen at all in this book? Like anything of significance? And I still don't understand what the to do list in the title has to do with anything lmao
She does write a load of to-do lists through the chapters (I think someone else had asked me about this upthread, sorry poster! I've only just remembered your question) but I just skim over them as they have no bearing on the plot 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 17
She does write a load of to-do lists through the chapters (I think someone else had asked me about this upthread, sorry poster! I've only just remembered your question) but I just skim over them as they have no bearing on the plot 🥴
Exactly, like, I thought the To-Do List in the title was like, things she wanted to do to turn her life around and stop the bullying or something like that. But no it's just that Erimentha writes to-do lists in her daily life so that is the title lmao

Reactions: 12

-------

--------

Clearly Ruby hasn’t met any doctors IRL

Reactions: 4
20 chapters in and I still can’t pronounce Erimentha’s name ffs🤣 I keep reading it in my head as Erithma

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Imagine her opening the book with ‘She was called Erimentha, a girl too extraordinary for an ordinary name like Jane or Emily or Lilly.’ :rolleyes:

That would be very Ruby.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'm reading Ruby's mum's blog and she's written this on the post "Fifty Ways"

"My younger daughter bought me a contraption for my bath, which holds my candles and book, letting me lay back to relax and read. When I get bored of that, I can put on the velvet eye mask she got me and plug it into my favourite music."​

It really sounds like Martha is really thoughtful with gifts, and I feel really sorry for her when I think of the lamp Ruby got rid of, it was perfect for somebody who studies as much as Ruby does. Clearly it wasn't as aesthetic as studying by candlelight

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.