Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Victorian morning routine really just seemed like her indulging in her fantasy life rather than actually trying to be educational.

The weird thing about Ruby is that she does read some 'adult' books- she recently reviewed and liked 'on earth we're briefly gorgeous' by Ocean Vuong. She also read The Wasp Factory and Slaughterhouse Five last year. I agree that most of her reading seems to be children's books but I do think there is a side to her that enjoys the 'edgier' books. But it doesn't fit with her brand...
She doesn't really talk much about the more adult books either, and if she does she doesn't address the adult themes.

I noticed she's put the diaries of Hannah Cullwick on her TBR - I don't know if she realises but Hannah Cullwick was in a relationship with her employer Arthur Munby, who had what you could describe as a fetish for working class people. Hannah talks about their relationship quite a lot in her diary. Definitely not the sort of thing Ruby normally reads!

Reactions: 10
I really don’t get why her mum was so involved? Like does she not have anything better to do? Like is she not busy with stuff? Or is that what upper class privileged affords you?

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I noticed she's put the diaries of Hannah Cullwick on her TBR - I don't know if she realises but Hannah Cullwick was in a relationship with her employer Arthur Munby, who had what you could describe as a fetish for working class people. Hannah talks about their relationship quite a lot in her diary. Definitely not the sort of thing Ruby normally reads!
I‘m guessing that’s something that has been mentioned in her current module, but yes, if she reads that it’ll definitely give her a slightly less romanticised view of the employer/servant relationship in the Victorian era 🙂

Reactions: 4
Ruby comes across to me as someone trying to be so much better than everyone else to make herself feel better about not being well liked. It's easier to come across likeable in a video you film and edit than in real life.

As for the elaborate fantasy, it comes across as either a special interest that she's been allowed to disappear into (I know previous posts have speculated some sort of autism spectrum disorder or similar) or a coping mechanism. Either way with nobody challenging it her behaviour will be unlikely to change.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
So some thoughts now I'm a quarter-ish of the way through the book. A lot of the negative reviews say it's written poorly. I don't think this is the case - the prose and structure seems ok to me, I think it's the fact that Erimentha just isn't a particularly likeable or relatable character, and Ruby needs to decide who her target audience will be; 9-12 age group seems like a better fit?

Do I want a sequal of Erimentha Parker goes to uni, gets a few piercings, a hangover and learns some humility? Hell yes!

I don't think Ruby moving back home did her any favours, I do think her parents indulge this 'childlike Ruby' a little too much. When she did a video on reflecting on her Oxbridge rejection, it was really insightful and mature, not a, "I'm SOOOO much better off without them!" defensive take like that Jade person.

Anyway...

Simone arrives with her dad and Erimentha meets them outside and starts examining his car.

"Is your family otherwise eco friendly?" I enquire, running my hand along the green car frame. "As in, do you use renewable energy sources to power your home?" Mr Randolph indulges her, rather than wondering why this peculiar little gnome is asking strange questions. Philippa Forrester of Robot Wars meets Greta Thunberg.

They talk about solar panels and her dad chuckles at his daughter in an, "Oh, aren't you adorable?" kind of way, rather than reprimanding her for asking another adult such personal questions about his home life.

Simone asks Erimentha if she can make the papier-mâché as she has an allergy to glue. Erimentha says they can use rubber gloves, she isn't doing all the grot work for this, and did her feeble-minded friend not think about gloves? She also points out to Simone that she's getting drips down her shirt. Erimentha begins to wonder whether it's possible that Simone's inhaling her IQ points in such close proximity. Simone goes on about her clumsiness and points out how 'together' Erimentha is.

Simone tells Erimentha that the water spilling incident was intentional and she should tell a teacher to nip it in the bud. Erimentha gaslights her, telling her it was an accident.

She knows Simone is not convinced, and says she, "can see the cogs turning underneath the marrow of her skull, beating against the blood flow and the electrical impulses of her cerebellum."

I'm convinced that Erimentha has decided that Simone is so intellectually sub-par, she's going to harvest her brain to experiment on

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 65
So some thoughts now I'm a quarter-ish of the way through the book. A lot of the negative reviews say it's written poorly. I don't think this is the case - the prose and structure seems ok to me, I think it's the fact that Erimentha just isn't a particularly likeable or relatable character, and Ruby needs to decide who her target audience will be; 9-12 age group seems like a better fit?

Do I want a sequal of Erimentha Parker goes to uni, gets a few piercings, a hangover and learns some humility? Hell yes!

I don't think Ruby moving back home did her any favours, I do think her parents indulge this 'childlike Ruby' a little too much. When she did a video on reflecting on her Oxbridge rejection, it was really insightful and mature, not a, "I'm SOOOO much better off without them!" defensive take like that Jade person.

Anyway...

Simone arrives with her dad and Erimentha meets them outside and starts examining his car.

"Is your family otherwise eco friendly?" I enquire, running my hand along the green car frame. "As in, do you use renewable energy sources to power your home?" Mr Randolph indulges her, rather than wondering why this peculiar little gnome is asking strange questions. Philippa Forrester of Robot Wars meets Greta Thunberg.

They talk about solar panels and her dad chuckles at his daughter in an, "Oh, aren't you adorable?" kind of way, rather than reprimanding her for asking another adult such personal questions about his home life.

Simone asks Erimentha if she can make the papier-mâché as she has an allergy to glue. Erimentha says they can use rubber gloves, she isn't doing all the grot work for this, and did her feeble-minded friend not think about gloves? She also points out to Simone that she's getting drips down her shirt. Erimentha begins to wonder whether it's possible that Simone's inhaling her IQ points in such close proximity. Simone goes on about her clumsiness and points out how 'together' Erimentha is.

Simone tells Erimentha that the water spilling incident was intentional and she should tell a teacher to nip it in the bud. Erimentha gaslights her, telling her it was an accident.

She knows Simone is not convinced, and says she, "can see the cogs turning underneath the marrow of her skull, beating against the blood flow and the electrical impulses of her cerebellum."

I'm convinced that Erimentha has decided that Simone is so intellectually sub-par, she's going to harvest her brain to experiment on
Please never stop doing this lmao this is hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: 22

Anyway...

Her incorrect use of anatomical words pisses me off, using the word ‘cerebellum’ when shes talking about her thinking doesn’t make sense considering that it’s the part of the brain which controls your balance and movement, as opposed to cognitive functions like thinking, problem solving and decision making lmao. Clearly she means cerebrum, but like if you’re going to try and use anatomical words like that, why not at least google it first and make sure you’re talking about the correct part of the brain?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I was thinking about this - they definitely do want to keep her as their little Ruby, which is why they shelter her so much and indulge all of her whimsy, childish behaviours. After her first year of uni, I actually quite enjoyed her videos as she seemed more grown up (e.g. Oxf rejection video, the 'I'm not cool enough' one, uni vlogs etc.) But now that she's back home, she seems to have regressed a bit.

Reactions: 21
Her incorrect use of anatomical words pisses me off, using the word ‘cerebellum’ when shes talking about her thinking doesn’t make sense considering that it’s the part of the brain which controls your balance and movement, as opposed to cognitive functions like thinking, problem solving and decision making lmao. Clearly she means cerebrum, but like if you’re going to try and use anatomical words like that, why not at least google it first and make sure you’re talking about the correct part of the brain?
YES omg, it's like her saying epithelial tissue for skin. Jesus Ruby, leave the biological terminology alone, you have no idea what you're taking about.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Some of the meals in the highly productive weekend' video look awful and not filling at all :/

Screenshot_20210126-155118_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210126-154851_YouTube.jpg

• Sad
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
It's so sad and makes veganism look really unappetising. I googled 'vegan wraps' and 'vegan salad' and found so many tasty, colourful and filling options. She definitely has food issues and she should think carefully before broadcasting this stuff to young girls who may end up trying to emulate her.

Reactions: 15
Um so Ruby is doing an ad for holocaust memorial day...I sincerely hope she's not accepted money for this??

Screenshot_20210126-180224_Instagram.jpg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 29
What the duck!!! She needs to donate the money and the profit from the videos or instagrams to a charity!!! What the actual duck! Why would she think it’s okay to do an AD about that?!?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.