Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ruby definitely reads here, she’s actually made a post in the book club group today in which she says things about one of the two books of the month that go beyond ”it was so good”.

I will say this for Ruby, she tries to do better.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I do find it amusing that she says that she 'votes left wing', despite her father most likely being a tax avoider and her building much of her brand around her privileged lifestyle/enormous home.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I do find it amusing that she says that she 'votes left wing', despite her father most likely being a tax avoider and her building much of her brand around her privileged lifestyle/enormous home.
And went to a private school! It’s obviously not her choice when it comes to any of that but be really interesting to see what her views are on a lot of the things her dad has done (obviously you can’t help your parents but)

Reactions: 11
Tbh Ruby doesn’t strike me as politically aware at all, she also seems to be more interested (from what I’ve seen) in US politics than UK. She probably thinks the Democrats are lefties, considering shes said she finds Hillary Clinton inspiring in the past. Idk, I have a feeling her version of a leftwing party might be the Lib Dems

Reactions: 21
Chapter 2

It's the morning, and Erimentha talks about getting dressed in a way that gives me Patrick Batemen's morning routine vibes. She notes that she sleeps as straight as a 2B pencil, and lobbied her parents to get Nathan a double bed. I'm surprised that he's permitted to sleep in a bed, and not in a cage under the stairs. Erimentha also talks about how she and her mum would watch Nathan sleep at night. Other than the clear lack of boundaries this family has, they also admonish the poor boy for sleeping 'like a starfish'. (see: pencil)

She talks about the shopping trip and Nathan bounces around the bed store like a lovable stupid labrador that is about to go and live on a nice farm. Erimentha apologises to the shop assistants for his transgressions of behaving like a child.

Erimentha gets driven to school by her mum, who wants to go in with her, but is reminded by her plucky daughter that Nathan has a doctor's appointment - I can only assume to check he's a tissue match for Erimentha should she need an organ from him in later life.

The Head of School introduces herself and Erimentha judges her to be sensible and no-nonsense, based on her brown penny loafers. Damn girl, let the woman have a break! Mrs Stafford is only on a teacher's salary and I assume spends the bulk of her take home pay on her mortgage and tanqueray to cope with the drudgery of her life.

Anyway, they're in class with another one-dimensional teacher and we hit the infamous, 'What I did during the summer speech'. I'm running out of steam, just like her teachers. Erimentha likes to tell people facts, pre-empting everything with, "Did you know?..." She offers up an essay for this poor bastard to read and he politely accepts her offer, his resolve worn down to a nub.

---------

Disclaimer: As I said, it takes guts to put a story out there and Ruby if you're reading, this is done in light-hearted jest, we all do embarrassing tit when we're young

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Tbh Ruby doesn’t strike me as politically aware at all, she also seems to be more interested (from what I’ve seen) in US politics than UK. She probably thinks the Democrats are lefties, considering shes said she finds Hillary Clinton inspiring in the past. Idk, I have a feeling her version of a leftwing party might be the Lib Dems
I’ve noticed a lot of UK influencers seem to care more about American politics than UK politics and hate trump but vote for Boris, she also read David Cameron’s autobiography last year 👀

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Erimentha gets driven to school by her mum, who wants to go in with her, but is reminded by her plucky daughter that Nathan has a doctor's appointment - I can only assume to check he's a tissue match for Erimentha should she need an organ from him in later life.
That genuinely made me lol 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 23
She also read David Cameron’s autobiography last year 👀
Tbh I also chose to write my Bachelor's dissertation on Thatcher's foreign policy although my political views are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum haha so that on its own doesn't mean much
I don't think Ruby has very complex or mature views on politics.

Reactions: 9
Tbh I also chose to write my Bachelor's dissertation on Thatcher's foreign policy although my political views are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum haha so that on its own doesn't mean much
I don't think Ruby has very complex or mature views on politics.
That I would get, or if she was doing anything remotely related to politics (like at uni or further research) like if she was reading thatcher it’d be different but Cameron.... weird choice

Reactions: 1
And went to a private school! It’s obviously not her choice when it comes to any of that but be really interesting to see what her views are on a lot of the things her dad has done (obviously you can’t help your parents but)
Yup, you can’t blame her for who her parents are or the decisions they make, but you can blame her if she has absolutely no awareness of it. My dad worked in finance, and he definitely does pay his taxes, but I’m fairly sure that’s only because my mum (from a working class northern family) would torture then murder him for doing anything else. The difference is, I’m hyper aware of the issues with a lot of my dad’s attitudes, opinions and behaviours, and regularly question them. We get on okay, but argue often about politics and social issues. Obvs there’s no reason for Ruby to make public any issues she has with her family (I’d find it weird if she did), but if she genuinely doesn’t have any problems with a tax dodging dad, then that shows a serious lack of awareness of the real world.

To be fair I’d probably try to read Cameron’s autobiography if i didn’t think I’d end up setting it - or myself - on fire, just out of morbid fascination. I agree though, I think it’s pretty fashionable to be aware of American politics - Trump was spectacularly disastrous in a way Boris isn’t (he’s still globally seen as a clown figure rather than a sociopath I think), and of course more recently the BLM protests had a worldwide reaction it’s easy for her to latch onto. I reckon if she does vote “left wing”, it’s probably out of a feeling that it’s trendy or popular, or “the right thing to do”, rather than a result of her own research and opinions. Performative wokeness at its finest.

Reactions: 14
I reckon if she does vote “left wing”, it’s probably out of a feeling that it’s trendy or popular, or “the right thing to do”, rather than a result of her own research and opinions. Performative wokeness at its finest.
This is exactly what I meant. And I hope Ruby actually votes and like stays up to date with politics even though it doesn't fit with her Victorian child aesthetic haha

Reactions: 5
Chapter 2

It's the morning, and Erimentha talks about getting dressed in a way that gives me Patrick Batemen's morning routine vibes. She notes that she sleeps as straight as a 2B pencil, and lobbied her parents to get Nathan a double bed. I'm surprised that he's permitted to sleep in a bed, and not in a cage under the stairs. Erimentha also talks about how she and her mum would watch Nathan sleep at night. Other than the clear lack of boundaries this family has, they also admonish the poor boy for sleeping 'like a starfish'. (see: pencil)

She talks about the shopping trip and Nathan bounces around the bed store like a lovable stupid labrador that is about to go and live on a nice farm. Erimentha apologises to the shop assistants for his transgressions of behaving like a child.

The Head of School introduces herself and Erimentha judges her to be sensible and no-nonsense, based on her brown penny loafers. Damn girl, let the woman have a break! Mrs Stafford is only on a teacher's salary and I assume spends the bulk of her take home pay on her mortgage and tanqueray to cope with the drudgery of her life.

Anyway, they're in class with another one-dimensional teacher and we hit the infamous, 'What I did during the summer speech'. I'm running out of steam, just like her teachers. Erimentha likes to tell people facts, pre-empting everything with, "Did you know?..." She offers up an essay for this poor bastard to read and he politely accepts her offer, his resolve worn down to a nub.

---------

Disclaimer: As I said, it takes guts to put a story out there and Ruby if you're reading, this is done in light-hearted jest, we all do embarrassing tit when we're young
This is my new favourite book review/summary and I thought the one star 50 Shades of Grey review on Goodreads would remain my top forever 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
That scene with the geography really rubbed me up the wrong way.

This is what I imagine went through Erimentha's mind:

My peers say inane and obvious things like river and weather. I say "peers" - will you look at these absolute CHILDREN. I bet the teachers will be so grateful to actually have an intelligent student to talk to for once... They're going to love me. Oh, we have so much to learn from each other!

• Haha
The book club seems so disorganised. Ruby drops in every now and again to keep up appearances but doesn't actually do any of the organising or moderating? She said almost a month ago that she would set up a group chat to coordinate the zoom meetings but hasn't. She'd be better off just handing it over to the admin.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think her mum’s a poet. Or she says she is on her blog. I don’t know if she’s published.

Also, I might be going mad (and I’ll admit I didn’t give the book my full attention) but has Ruby changed the gender of Erimentha’s sibling or added the sibling in? I’m sure I remember a sister and then I remember wondering where she went as she seemed to disappear about halfway through.

I was so born into the wrong family ...
Presumably Martha wasn't too pleased with how she was depicted and/or Ruby was really trying not to prove that it was an autobiography...

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Hermione was interested in Krum and later Ron. Wouldn’t surprise me if Ruby at some point tried to date, because Hermione did!
It's sadly only first year Hermione that Ruby modelled herself on. 4th year Hermione is far too old.

Reactions: 8
Long time lurker here, slightly off-topic but anyway I am rather surprised that Ruby has not yet talked about The Queen's Gambit, because it does fit in with the academia aesthetic that she at times portrays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
I wonder if she'd be too disapproving of all the sex, drugs and alcohol 🤣 also I'm not sure she's that into TV anymore (she probably considers it inferior to books...)

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I don't think she can bring herself to watch a full episode of a TV series at once, she's probably down to about 10 minutes a day so it would take her forever to get through it

Having fun just isn't productive enough :(

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.