Ruby Granger #8 Government checks, body checks, and yet no privilege checks

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think she got good advice or support from her school. I think she said in a video that her school didn’t typically send a lot of people to Oxbridge (which makes sense, given the kind of school and where it is) so I don’t think she got the kind of intensive Oxbridge interview support and coaching that students at other schools tend to get. I also think that she was (and still is) fixated on the ‘more is better’ approach and she genuinely thought that if she did loads and loads of random prep she’d be ok. What she really needed was some training in thinking on her feet, as I bet getting questions she hadn’t specifically prepared for really threw her.

Hi I've not posted on here before but just wanted to add to this point

I'm a student at Cambridge so have a pretty good idea of the whole Oxbridge process, and went to a school that sent basically no one to Oxbridge so did not get any useful support there really. HOWEVER, everything you need to apply to Oxbridge is widely available on the uni websites, so many example interviews are available on youtube, there are practice admissions tests and outreach programs where Oxbridge students answer questions from applicants so there really is no reason Ruby couldn't have prepared better, although I suspect she would have struggled with the main purpose of the interview which is to give you information you don't know/have never seen before and see how you deal with it.

Also, the admissions officers really are looking for a genuine enthusiasm for your subject, my tutor has told me they can sniff out someone who is only applying because of the Oxbridge name (or *aesthetic*) straight away and they will not be getting an offer unless they are incredibly impressive.

Oh and a final point, obviously Ruby has done very well with school and grades, but my experience of the people at Cambridge has been that you shouldn't have had to work THAT hard to get the grades that you needed at A Level (for STEM A*A*A, for humanities A*AA). In general, everyone did put in the work at school and has a good work ethic, but most people also have a very full social life and had several hobbies that they put a significant amount of time into or part time jobs, and they balanced these perfectly happily throughout sixth form. Ruby was doing 14 hour study days and basically only focussing on studying throughout A Levels, or at least that's what her videos suggest, and got A*AA. Obviously those are really great grades, but Oxbridge cram 10-12 weeks worth of content into 8 weeks so I think she would have struggled to deal with the intense workload of an Oxbridge degree if she continued to work in her current mindset of more hours = more productivity. Especially because she seems to give herself extra work to do by writing and rewriting to do lists and notes.

Reactions: 37
I think what happened was she went into it super confident because of her years of preparation and then was shocked because it was ultimately all useless to prepare her adequately to the task. Again she worked hard instead of working smart and in that occasion it wasn't enough. She must have prepared in a way that wasn't helpful for the kind of exam she would go through. Studying is not a one size fits all situation.
I agree. I think she thought she was a shoe-in given how much work she metaphorically and physically had to show for her preparation. From what I've heard, Oxford like stream of consciousness type answers, so they can understand how your brain works and what connections you make when formulating an answer. I don't know whether Ruby would thrive with that line of questioning, as you can't 100% rely on preparation to get you through that.

Reactions: 12
She talked about how her interview went here. I don't think Ruby is particularly high in fluid intelligence which is probably why she struggled with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Youre telling me that guy is not sverige..? Those carnivore guys really all look the same.

I also couldnt watch through ruby's latest video, it was so boring....

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Youre telling me that guy is not sverige..? Those carnivore guys really all look the same.

I also couldnt watch through ruby's latest video, it was so boring....
No, it's the same guy lol! Thankfully there's only one of him (still one too many though).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
She talked about how her interview went here. I don't think Ruby is particularly high in fluid intelligence which is probably why she struggled with it.
I can't with the face she makes in that thumbnail...

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Tbh I've been vegan for years and I eventually want to rescue battery hens, I still wouldn't eat their eggs it's been so long I don't miss them. You can feed them back to the chickens, it's actually good for them!
Me too! But I also want to rescue roosters because no one wants them :-(
There are always some unwanted roosters at the animal shelter! I understand they can be quite territorial - do you happen to know if they would fight if you had more than one?
(Sorry this is completely off topic guys)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Me too! But I also want to rescue roosters because no one wants them :-(
There are always some unwanted roosters at the animal shelter! I understand they can be quite territorial - do you happen to know if they would fight if you had more than one?
(Sorry this is completely off topic guys)
I don't, no! Definitely something you should ask the shelter, they might know more than I do.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I just came across this video regarding Ruby’s eating habits/diet
If any of you guys have the time to watch it, what’s your opinions on it? I’m not really sure what to make of it :/
(if this isn’t appropriate please let me know and i’ll delete this - i’ve never watched this content creator before)

Ugh, I hate that guy. He's not exactly a picture of health himself. A bit hypocritical to comment on how pale Ruby is and how lank her hair is, when he himself looks all wan and sweaty and his hair looks like it's on its last legs. He's condescending and rude and has an opinion on everything, but if he's such an expert on nutrition, why does he look like a junkie with chickenpox?

There is a video of him eating a raw turkey leg and it made me gag. He's just doing stunts like that to get a reaction.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Screenshot_20210409-152245_Instagram.jpg

I'm so confused....Ruby posted a picture of Prince Philip (RIP) to mark his passing and then this is her next instagram story? Why is she posing in all black - if it's meant to be a kind of mourning, doesn't she get that this just looks weird? ~aestheticising~ death

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I don’t think she got good advice or support from her school. I think she said in a video that her school didn’t typically send a lot of people to Oxbridge (which makes sense, given the kind of school and where it is) so I don’t think she got the kind of intensive Oxbridge interview support and coaching that students at other schools tend to get. I also think that she was (and still is) fixated on the ‘more is better’ approach and she genuinely thought that if she did loads and loads of random prep she’d be ok. What she really needed was some training in thinking on her feet, as I bet getting questions she hadn’t specifically prepared for really threw her.
I thought she went to an expensive private school though? I would expect a school to offer intensive college prep if the tuition is so high. But then again I know nothing about the UK educational system.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I thought she went to an expensive private school though? I would expect a school to offer intensive college prep if the tuition is so high. But then again I know nothing about the UK educational system.
My personal observation from being in private education in England is that the private schools here tend to fall into two groups: the first being extremely pushy, grades and Oxbridge/Russell Group oriented, Duke of Edinburgh awards and music exams out the wazoo, and the second being gentle, "cushy" schools for parents with money who don't want their kids with the "riff riff" (their opinion not mine!!) of state schools. The second type don't generally push so hard, although its not a hard and fast rule. Also, just because a school is private doesn't mean its necessarily good but sometimes people's money gets in the way of them realising that lol

Reactions: 22
An old video of hers came up in my recommended and this was commented and I thought it was kinda interesting
i thought her dad got to where he is today by avoiding paying taxes??? so inspirational 🥺🥺🥺

(ps excuse me if this is wrong i just thought it was rly rly funny)

• Haha
Reactions: 41
An old video of hers came up in my recommended and this was commented and I thought it was kinda interesting
someone who is rich enough to be a tax avoider growing up in a very poor household in a deprived area...... why do i get the feeling she’s obfuscating?

Does anyone know what her dads job is? Other than being a full time tax avoider

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.