Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also I just looked up the video, and she was 16 in this! No wonder she was bullied, most people at that age in the UK are getting pissed in fields and trying to hide their hangovers from parents/teachers šŸ˜‚ obvs nothing against her not drinking (Iā€™m teetotal), but wow this is the sort of thing I can imagine a 10 year old doing, not a 16 year old. Iā€™m glad sheā€™s gotten more natural on camera, she really was awful...
I wouldn't be surprised if she was the sort to say, "When I'm at Oxford, you'll be having your 5th child with as many fathers." Well, if she didn't say it out loud, she was certainly thinking it.

As far as dating goes, she'd probably ask for a Victorian lady-sized portion at a restaurant and block a guy if he said he hadn't read Harry Potter.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I wouldn't be surprised if she was the sort to say, "When I'm at Oxford, you'll be having your 5th child with as many fathers." Well, if she didn't say it out loud, she was certainly thinking it.
Creasing at this but I doubt she has the level of savage to pull that line off šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 14
ā€œI think she should have just focused on her careerā€
wait did she say actually this in the vid? About a fictional character?? I cant be bothered to watch it to see, so I may be taking this out of context (Ruby wouldn't be a stranger to that ;)). I feel like that statement screams of internalised misogyny?? I hate this outdated opinion that women have to pick between family and a career and can't have both. Maybe I'm reading too much into it

Reactions: 21
Erm, I may have taken one for the team and bought Erimentha Parker's to-do list (now, I don't want to make it a total piss take as I do admire someone with the gonads to put a book out there, but bless, it is a Ruby Granger fanfic)

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Ohhh, please do share your favourite bits!

I agree, I am not gonna rip into someone because their writing is cringe, you don't need to be good at something to enjoy it but the fact that it's indeed a self-insert fic to make her bullies apologise to her (apparently?) is kind of hilarious to me.

Reactions: 7
Exactly. I struggle a bit with audiobooks, I spend all day being talked at and I canā€™t do that again for relaxation šŸ˜€ However I donā€™t see them as any different, youā€™re still engaging with the book and sometimes, a really good voice actor can totally enhance the story.
Definitely. I find especially with a memoir - if the author reads it it is an enhanced reading experience. Plus I find my mind can wander when reading a physical book just as much as reading an audiobook.

Reactions: 2
wait did she say actually this in the vid? About a fictional character?? I cant be bothered to watch it to see, so I may be taking this out of context (Ruby wouldn't be a stranger to that ;)). I feel like that statement screams of internalised misogyny?? I hate this outdated opinion that women have to pick between family and a career and can't have both. Maybe I'm reading too much into it
No youā€™re correct, its exactly what she meant by it

Reactions: 5
As if she was 16 in that video. I would have guessed, 12 or 13?
Yeah usually you grow out of this kind of opinion about dating and relationships at a certain age? Like maybe when you're in middle school you're like "I'll never get a boyfriend, I'll be a spinster forever with my cats and my books lol I'm not like other girls". It's normal, you're still immature and kids often find relationships and stuff like that embarrassing and gross.
But at 16 you should realize that having relationships is a normal part of life and it's not a personality trait? It's completely fine to not be interested in dating, but at that age you should at least realise that having a boyfriend/girlfriend is not mutually exclusive with liking books or focusing on your studies or career or whatever.
Also like the fact that women can have both a career and a family has been a thing for decades at this point. My mom got married in 1997 and she has always been a working mother with no issues. So I don't know where she got that idea that having a relationship automatically means you won't be able to achieve your ambitions or that you are not ambitious in the first place if you get a boyfriend.

Reactions: 12
Iā€™m gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and hope that now sheā€™s a bit older, she understands women can do both! Otherwise Kamala Harris wants a word šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Chapter 1

The family dynamic is brilliant - Erimentha's parents clearly outdid themselves in spawning her, that they made no effort in naming their other offspring, Nathan. He may as well have been called Gary, Trevor or Spare.

Lots of anxiety about going into Year 7. Mum tries to reassure the golden child that she has done extra work *and* spoken to a Year 10 student, though Erimentha persists, saying there's a world of difference between Year 7 and Year 10.

True: by the time you're in Year 10, you know how to skip the dinner queue without being noticed and you can confidently deal with surprises in your menstrual cycle.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Erimentha and Nathan, what a duo.
Side note, isn't Ruby's middle name also a weird/long name like Erimentha? I think I've read it here before but I can't remember what it is.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
i feel like i read somewhere (not here) that ruby's dad is actually a well-known/successful author? i want to say i remember her saying it in a video, honestly. maybe this is why she thinks she could be an author...nepotism.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
i feel like i read somewhere (not here) that ruby's dad is actually a well-known/successful author? i want to say i remember her saying it in a video, honestly. maybe this is why she thinks she could be an author...nepotism.
I think her dad works in finance but he could also be an author, idk.

I was looking for Ruby's middle name online and found out a little fun fact: the author of 50 Shades of Grey, E. L. James, was also a student at Ruby's school.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Erimentha and Nathan, what a duo.
Side note, isn't Ruby's middle name also a weird/long name like Erimentha? I think I've read it here before but I can't remember what it is.
Philomena.

And her father is definitely not an author, heā€™s in finance or something that makes you a lot of money that you then have to stash in the Virgin Islands.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I think her dad works in finance but he could also be an author, idk.

I was looking for Ruby's middle name online and found out a little fun fact: the author of 50 Shades of Grey, E. L. James, was also a student at Ruby's school.
By the looks of companies house he has his fingers in a lot of pies

Reactions: 7
word okay, so my brain defs made that up.
I think her mumā€™s a poet. Or she says she is on her blog. I donā€™t know if sheā€™s published.

Also, I might be going mad (and Iā€™ll admit I didnā€™t give the book my full attention) but has Ruby changed the gender of Erimenthaā€™s sibling or added the sibling in? Iā€™m sure I remember a sister and then I remember wondering where she went as she seemed to disappear about halfway through.

Philomena.

And her father is definitely not an author, heā€™s in finance or something that makes you a lot of money that you then have to stash in the Virgin Islands.
I was so born into the wrong family ...

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I know weā€™re way past ā€˜the bookā€™ and there are plenty examples of Rubyā€™s inability to actually research anything in her books but this one irked me so much. The modern piano was invented around 1700 and Bach wrote for harpsichord or organ or strings/continuo. Rarely are his works referenced as for ā€˜pianoā€™ instead of ā€˜keyboardā€™, Bach wrote relatively nothing for the actual piano. I get the impression she just assumes that her interpretation (assumption) of something is the correct one and therefore doesnā€™t even bother to fact check, bc how could she possibly be wrong?! The arrogance astounds me.

Attachments

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.