Ruby Granger #8 Government checks, body checks, and yet no privilege checks

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a bit out of context but I just came across this old vlog from 2016 and I find it hard to believe that Ruby had a TV and a playstation in her room. She's changed so much!

"This is probably my favourite shelf in my wardrobe because this is my Hermione Granger shelf". I would have died of embarrassment to have a video like this out there on the internet when I was 16.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
This is a bit out of context but I just came across this old vlog from 2016 and I find it hard to believe that Ruby had a TV and a playstation in her room. She's changed so much!

She could easily be mistaken for a pre-teen or just-turned-teenager in that video, at least IMO.

Comments are disabled on that video. I wonder if she recieved a negative reaction, or was just pre-emptively disabling the comments.

Reactions: 16
This was totally my experience with bullying — I couldn’t tell anybody because it was all mind games, and tormenting me without actually doing anything that could specifically be reported. Pretending to be your friend and make conversation with you solely to laugh about it, boys asking you out as a joke, being left out of things, people clearly laughing about you, if you ignored them they wouldn’t stop, and then if you were ever upset/angered by the things that they’d say they’d find that hilarious too so there was no winning, knowing nobody wanted to be put with you for group work ... the things along them lines.

I had such an awful high school experience because of this, to the point my self confidence as a 23 year old is completely shot. I still feel unworthy of ever being loved despite really wanting to, I look in the mirror and hate myself when I’m not even ugly, and I still get so overwhelmed with anxiety over what others may think of me. Even through university it took me until my final year to break through the feeling that everyone probably hated me.

Bullying is horrific and I’ve always felt that Ruby only ever talks about it in the way you see it portrayed in children’s tv and film. Hair pulling and being beaten up in the hallways — both things that definitely happen, but they’re the sort of bullying that gets caught by teachers more or less ...

ETA: My parents never knew, and I only mentioned having a terrible high school experience to them very recently. 😐
I'm so sorry you went through that, some people can be terrible. Honestly I relate a lot, bullying can destroy a person's self esteem. Although I do disagree with part of it. I was bullied emotionally and physically and I'd much rather deal with the emotional stuff than get stitches from being beat up so bad. Teachers probably do stop it a lot, but a lot less at my school. That's why support networks are so important and Ruby kinda found hers in YouTube so that's fair.

Reactions: 3
I'm so sorry you went through that, some people can be terrible. Honestly I relate a lot, bullying can destroy a person's self esteem. Although I do disagree with part of it. I was bullied emotionally and physically and I'd much rather deal with the emotional stuff than get stitches from being beat up so bad. Teachers probably do stop it a lot, but a lot less at my school. That's why support networks are so important and Ruby kinda found hers in YouTube so that's fair.
I’m so sorry you went through that too — both are awful and I can’t imagine how it must feel.

I don’t mean to say it doesn’t happen though, I suppose you’re right and it really all depends on the ‘adults’ around — my point was more that it’s so hard to prove you’re even being bullied when you have nothing to show for it outside of what a lot of people might put down to ‘kids being kids’ and ‘banter’. Then again, teachers rarely have the ability to stop bullying ... and a lot of the time (in my experience) those who are the bullies are liked by teachers.

I don’t want to invalidate Ruby either because bullying sucks for everyone, no matter the severity or sort. It’s just the impression I seemed to get from her novel — I’m glad she has/had a good family to comfort her and a community on YouTube😩

Reactions: 5
This was totally my experience with bullying — I couldn’t tell anybody because it was all mind games, and tormenting me without actually doing anything that could specifically be reported. Pretending to be your friend and make conversation with you solely to laugh about it, boys asking you out as a joke, being left out of things, people clearly laughing about you, if you ignored them they wouldn’t stop, and then if you were ever upset/angered by the things that they’d say they’d find that hilarious too so there was no winning, knowing nobody wanted to be put with you for group work ... the things along them lines.

I had such an awful high school experience because of this, to the point my self confidence as a 23 year old is completely shot. I still feel unworthy of ever being loved despite really wanting to, I look in the mirror and hate myself when I’m not even ugly, and I still get so overwhelmed with anxiety over what others may think of me. Even through university it took me until my final year to break through the feeling that everyone probably hated me.

Bullying is horrific and I’ve always felt that Ruby only ever talks about it in the way you see it portrayed in children’s tv and film. Hair pulling and being beaten up in the hallways — both things that definitely happen, but they’re the sort of bullying that gets caught by teachers more or less ...

ETA: My parents never knew, and I only mentioned having a terrible high school experience to them very recently. 😐
hi, just want to say i had the exact same experience as you. my friend group was horrible at times, and when i would mention to them that they were making me feel horrible they would somehow turn it back onto me. my high school was small so i just had to get on with it. i spent most of my senior year in the library alone at lunch and recess.

it has made me VERY apprehensive to make new friends, i truly only have two best friends now (neither of them i met at school) because i'm so scared of getting hurt by people lol. i'm 23 too. i have no advice to offer but i just want you to know that you're not alone!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Even back then it's like she's trying to act younger than she is. I think she's been praised by adults her whole life for acting like a cute little girl and she thrives on that validation. Her whole personality is about being every parents dream child, every teachers dream student. Except it's less cute now that she's an adult

Reactions: 25
Did I see Victorian Evening plan on her latest instagram story?👀
These things just make me cringe - not just Ruby doing them but the vast majority of them, which are mostly poorly researched and done by people who have read one book or watched one TV programme and think that what they’ve read about one person, culture or class applies to everyone without exception.

I just have this vision of someone doing something like this on the 2120 version of YouTube, saying stupid things about 2020 night and morning routines - ‘everybody in 2020 filmed themselves all of the time, and they all ate avocados for every meal. Everyone was vegan and they all had ‘Live, Laugh, Love’ stickers on the bedroom walls’.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Even back then it's like she's trying to act younger than she is. I think she's been praised by adults her whole life for acting like a cute little girl and she thrives on that validation. Her whole personality is about being every parents dream child, every teachers dream student. Except it's less cute now that she's an adult
This is 100% it for me, I think that is exactly what has happened with Ruby. She made it her internet personality as well and now she can’t seem to grow up from it

Reactions: 9
I think when you're 15/16/17 that kind of behaviour can actually be mistaken for maturity and garner a lot of praise, which is I think what may have happen to Ruby with her parents & teachers. Except with Ruby it's now become her whole personality and I don't think lockdown and her not being able to be away at university has helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
A bit OT, but there is a guy doing a 19h study lifestream on Tiktok (4 am-11 pm), that can't be healthy right? 😅

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
A bit OT, but there is a guy doing a 19h study lifestream on Tiktok (4 am-11 pm), that can't be healthy right? 😅
I'm a PhD student and I would just... run out of things to do? I live my subject and my project, but can only concentrate on things that require deep focus for a few hours, if that. And yes, emails and admin are never not piling up, but there is only so much busy work I can do in a day, too. Just - what are these people doing for this many hours straight? How do they focus after the first 12 hours?

And most importantly: Just because I could get something done in a day, doesn't mean I should. Hard work can be so satisfying when it ends with a long walk, dinner, or maybe a glas of wine with friends (before & hopefully after the pandemic). If the day ends with a migrane and me crashing into my bed completely depleted, it's terrible and I wouldn't know where to take the energy or motivation from to put myself through it ever again...

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Her whole personality is about being every parents dream child, every teachers dream student. Except it's less cute now that she's an adult
She still gets those kinds of comments on her videos, particularly the 'study with me' ones. People say that their parents or teachers would love to have Ruby as a child/student. Definitely agree that she's always thrived on being told these kinds of things, particularly as it would have been seen as maturity when she was younger.

Reactions: 8
AF23F3BE-7F74-4BF9-991A-5C6A542D679C.jpeg

that poor record, she should use that big brain of hers and learn how to hold it properly

• Haha
  • Sad
View attachment 524513
that poor record, she should use that big brain of hers and learn how to hold it properly
Other than that I have to say, I really enjoy her "outfit". The black top seems much more age appropriate, especially with her hair up. I mean, I still wonder what this hairstyle is supposed to be, but at least it's something new and I enjoy it much more than the plain long young girl look she usually fashions.

Reactions: 21
I'm a PhD student and I would just... run out of things to do? I live my subject and my project, but can only concentrate on things that require deep focus for a few hours, if that. And yes, emails and admin are never not piling up, but there is only so much busy work I can do in a day, too. Just - what are these people doing for this many hours straight? How do they focus after the first 12 hours?

And most importantly: Just because I could get something done in a day, doesn't mean I should. Hard work can be so satisfying when it ends with a long walk, dinner, or maybe a glas of wine with friends (before & hopefully after the pandemic). If the day ends with a migrane and me crashing into my bed completely depleted, it's terrible and I wouldn't know where to take the energy or motivation from to put myself through it ever again...
It's insane, I can't focus for more than 7-8 hours in a day. I find that it's way better for me to start studying well in advance for my exams and be consistent (i.e study for at least 6 hours everyday without fail) than to cram it all into extreme study days towards the end when I don't have any more time.
In general I stick to the old slogan "8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of work, 8 hours of rest".

Reactions: 7
I guess not cleaning off the excess candle wax is part of the “aesthetic”🤣

28BC5F1F-58A0-4B2C-94B2-18775119BCBD.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
"I always write from my Parker Fountain pen"
why did that make me cringe so much?
why is the pen important? aesthetic???? does the PEN represent "dark academia"? 😩
(also, shouldn't it be "write WITH" not "write FROM" ?) idk why I'm being so picky, maybe I'm more irrate today than usual😂

• Haha
I love my victorian dark academia with my Macbook pro

Also, god, her hands are so shrivelled....why???? Use some lotion please....o_O

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.