Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lady_H

VIP Member
Longtime lurker here saying hello. These are fantastic threads, and I am so appreciative of the non-woke, sensible tone. I’d join in more but they move so fast that I’m on permanent catch-up. Still, this is my bedtime reading nowadays and what I look forward to most at the end of an exhausting day with young kids! Thank you all...in fact, if I may, “thank you for your service” 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 126

freda19

VIP Member
True. People seem to forget that Philip got a horrible reception from the British press when he first came on the scene. Despite the fact that he was a genuine war hero fighting for the allies, he got severe stick from the media because his sisters were married to German officers. The media were really not happy with him as a husband for the future Queen. But he ignored them.

He also had an embarrassing parent. He mother unfortunately suffered mental health problems and behaved eccentrically to say the least. She came to his wedding dressed as a nun (from a religious order she herself had invented). Yet far from shunning her, he brought her to live in Buckingham Palace in her final years.

He also had to give up his career when Elizabeth became Queen. He loved the Navy and was destined for a hugely successful career. But he gave it up to support the Queen. He didn‘t always like playing second fiddle as he was a very intelligent and capable individual and a Royal Prince in his own right. But nevertheless he stuck with it for over 70 years.

Harry and Meghan do have some genuine grievances but I personally think they would have been much better following Philip’s example than exiling themselves, cutting themselves off from their families and embarking on a war with the media.
What? :mad:His mother was NOT an embarrassment. She had hearing difficulties and mental health issues, nothing to be embarrassed about at all. A little knowledge certainly is a dangerous thing :rolleyes:
She hid Jews in her home and fended off searches by emphasising her hearing issues and being as awkward with the Gestapo as she could till they left her alone.
And she didn't "invent a religious order". She gathered a group of similar minded philanthropic women and using their own money they assisted the poor by setting up soup kitchens, a thing unheard of at the time. They wore habits to indicate the fact that they were charitable sisters. Nor was Philip embarrassed by her at his wedding. She chose to be low profile at the service because she knew silly cunts with few brain cells would poke at her choosing to wear her chosen habit rather than flaunt herself in fashionable furs etc.
In 1993 Yad Vashem bestowed the title of Righteous Among the Nations on Princess Alice. A huge honour earned for her protection of Jews.

Fuck sake, we should all be such an embarrassment.

Cuntchops and his ho have NO grievances whatsoever. They wanted to merchandise the Royal name and were told they couldn't. That's it. The crux of their whining.They can stay fucked off. Cunts.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 124

Lilu22

VIP Member
E8EC0099-76D0-4556-B5ED-449813E88944.jpeg
That’s how you honour your Grandfather! Not a quick couple of sentences that anyone could’ve wrote. Truly lovely words from William

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 123

spangly

VIP Member
Thread suggestion:
Meghan and Harry #90 Philip didn't want a fuss so let's make the funeral all about us!

• Heart
Reactions: 89

Baguette

VIP Member
I'm sorry but it's completely wrong for Harry's statement to be issued at the same time as William's. They really are bending over backwards to coddle the Ginger Traitor.

ETA Someone told me last night that William's statement was expected yesterday evening, which would have felt right. So I guess Hazno threw one of his famous tantrums and insisted they came out together.

Harry's is insultingly informal, disrespectful and childish. It's like a best man's speech. And how would he know that HRH The Prince Philip was 'cheeky right 'til the end'. Hazza was in California and hadn't bothered to visit for two years.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 87

elli-94

So, while I’m relatively new to tattle, I’m a long time royal family forum attendee. My favourite thing about tattle- rant/rave sections. You can talk with like minded people and not get into keyboard wars the way royal family forums do- sugars and Cambridge fans all lumped in together. Constructive criticism is sorely lacking when everyone starts (virtually) shouting at each other. Excuse my rant to come- I’ve found my people! 😂

meghan- currently climbing the walls at home knowing she is missing out on one (out of 5) of the most important royal photo opportunities this century- DoE funeral, QE2 funeral, Charles Coronation, Charles funeral, William coronation.

She knows she is going to have to start doing damage control-if she wants to be allowed attend the queens funeral and subsequent events. That said- I can see the Queen outliving the divorce just to spite Meghan. Anyway- the interview brought out some sympathetic celebrities- but that’s it celebrities. No one of note- I think the only important contributor was Hillary Clinton, but even then she was measured enough. Political figures didn’t leap to her support the way she probably thought they would. Now she has quite the conundrum- out in the cold, they look mercenary and attract little sympathy beyond their obsessive Twitter brigade.

When Charles becomes king- I think that she is hoping they can return and serve Harry’s father/support the king with their little tadpoles- or whatever way they’ll spin it. But they have a long way to go before William will want to give them Duchy funds. As mentioned previously- they had very little foresight. Daddy (Charles) will have the sovereign grant soon and it’s William who’ll be paying them- or else they’ll look like hypocrites coming back for the sovereign grant/like back peddlers who didn’t get their way.

They know they made a colossal fuck up leaving- in fairness Covid hit us all like a tonne of bricks but the optics were fucking awful. They couldn’t have looked more like entitled brats if they tried- really poor timing. They couldn’t keep tax payer security (shocking that Scotland Yard weren’t going to send police officers to Canada- I know!) for non working royals- see Princesses B+E for reference dear Harry. Meghan convinced an already entitled wanker that they could have their cake and eat it too- but he never thought he’d lose security. Big oops. Quiet for a while- had to pay back frogmore, etc so funds must be low. Netflix- fuck Harry, you’re not Barack and Michelle- Harvard educated lawyers and former presidents. But one must get food where it’s going.

Then the Oprah interview- they are truly cursed (I think the queen mother is playing some jokes from above) that they announced it was happening/had already recorded before DoE got sick. They were fucked- CBS don’t give a shit about grandpa and Hazza got a taste of what life is like without daddy’s comms to sort out your media gaffes.

Now- here we are. Harry is in quite the pickle. His missus is probably on to him 5 million times a day- no one is speaking to him and he has just lost his grandfather. I really think he married her because the likes of Cressida and Chelsy knew the package- Meghan watched too many princess movies and thought she’d be able to take on a hierarchy that had fuck all to do with race and everything to do with centuries of precedence.

I do think that the royal family will try to minimise controversy (united front and all that) and will let Meghan bury herself- she already is with the leaks as soon as Harry left. I hope he is watching her too- unable to keep her mouth shut for one week. It would actually do her more good to just contain herself for one week out of respect. But she can’t- and I hope he sees that.

• Heart
Reactions: 83

margaretta

VIP Member
More 'healing the rift' dribble from Richard Fitzwilliam. Now apparently Prince William shouldn't wear his uniform as it might upset Poor Hawwy

According to a royal expert, Prince William and Prince Harry will wear the same suits for their grandfather's funeral on Saturday to avoid a "rift."

It was previously reported that the Duke of Sussex could be expected to dress in a suit - and not his uniform - as a result of him and Meghan stepping back as senior royals.

Prince William could wear his military uniform at the ceremonial service for Philip as he's a working royal but Richard Fitzwilliams said it was more likely he would wear a suit to avoid contrasting with Harry.

The Duke of Sussex can no longer wear his honorary military outfit after losing the titles.
If this happens i will be FUMING. Prince Philip wanted a military funeral. William should be in uniform. Harry made his choice; let him feel
uncomfortable.

• Angry
Reactions: 81

amethyst_unicorn

Chatty Member

Gyles Brandreth's piece in the DM today (apologies if already posted)

Couldn't resist screenshot of the wee side piece in the article of Prince Philip's advice to Catherine - never look at the camera - Oooh, the shade! 😂😂😂
20210413_134419.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 78

caustic witch

New user here. Found this place by surprise and what a hidden gem! I spent the whole night doing catchup reading lol

What I found the most offensive about Harry is he tried to speak on behalf of Charles and William that they are trapped in royal life.

Just because he wanted an out doesn’t mean other people who CHOSE to stay are trapped, and he should know better that his own father and brother are staying because it is their duties and they understand what it meant. How can he not understand public service and devotion when he himself sees his grandmother day after day wearing the crown no matter the circumstance?

I think William’s statement is very nice and a direct personal response to what Harry have said: that he and Catherine are no quitter and will take the responsibility that is asked from them and ‘get on with the job’.

And for him to mentioned PP’s decades of devoted public service while he and his fucked up lying wife only saw security benefits and flashy military rank out of their roles with no obligations is insulting.

• Heart
Reactions: 75

Milliemoo99

VIP Member
Prince Harry's Royal Marines tribute is an Americanism alien to British military
Duke of Sussex signed off his tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh with the slightly odd phrase 'per mare per terram'
DOMINIC NICHOLLS
DEFENCE AND SECURITY CORRESPONDENT
12 April 2021 • 9:01pm
Dominic Nicholls

The Duke of Sussex during a visit to 42 Commando Royal Marines at their base in Bickleigh

The Duke of Sussex during a visit to 42 Commando Royal Marines at their base in Bickleigh CREDIT: Finnbarr Webster/PA

The Duke of Sussex signed off his tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh with the slightly odd phrase “per mare per terram”.

Those with a military interest will have picked up on the significance. But does the use of the phrase send more than one message?

The Royal Marines motto “per mare per terram” (“by sea, by land”) could have been used to signify Prince Harry's role as Captain General of the Royal Marines, a post he inherited from Prince Philip.

In this regard – notwithstanding the opaque nature of this formal role now he has stepped back from Royal duties – it is a gentle nod to his grandfather and his military service.

However, it is a military custom in much of the US armed forces to sign off letters, speeches and even individual social interactions with a unit motto.
Members of the US Marine Corps, for example, sign off with the words "semper fi" (short for Semper Fidelis, Latin for “always faithful”).
This more personal sign off is offered as a mark of respect, both from the individual to his or her unit, and towards the person or group being addressed.

This custom is not practised in the British armed forces.

I once watched a British Brigade Commander (formerly the Commanding Officer of 2PARA – the unit with a light blue Brigade “flash”, the name given to the recognition badge worn by soldiers on their combat uniforms) respond to an American entreaty of Semper Fi by replying with “True Blue” (as in True Blue 2 PARA).

To be fair, the Brigadier said it with a twinkle in his eye as we – the Brigade staff – rolled ours. However, the US Officer was impressed and felt honoured, which is the whole point of such exchanges.

Prince Harry's peculiarly American sign off perhaps says more about the direction of his future career than his, or his grandfather's, previous one.
The Royal Marines motto “per mare per terram” (“by sea, by land”) could have been used to signify Prince Harry's role as Captain General of the Royal Marines, a post he inherited from Prince Philip.

However, it is a military custom in much of the US armed forces to sign off letters, speeches and even individual social interactions with a unit motto.

This custom is not practised in the British armed forces.

Oh dear...How odd that Prince Harry signed off his comments in the American fashion! Its almost as if someone American wrote the comments for him!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74

LadyMuck

VIP Member
More 'healing the rift' dribble from Richard Fitzwilliam. Now apparently Prince William shouldn't wear his uniform as it might upset Poor Hawwy

According to a royal expert, Prince William and Prince Harry will wear the same suits for their grandfather's funeral on Saturday to avoid a "rift."

It was previously reported that the Duke of Sussex could be expected to dress in a suit - and not his uniform - as a result of him and Meghan stepping back as senior royals.

Prince William could wear his military uniform at the ceremonial service for Philip as he's a working royal but Richard Fitzwilliams said it was more likely he would wear a suit to avoid contrasting with Harry.

The Duke of Sussex can no longer wear his honorary military outfit after losing the titles.
Here they ago again, pandering to him. Just like last year at the Commonwealth where W&K opted to not walk in the procession with PC and HMQ to avoid upsetting H who had to remain seated. Jeez, this is why he is the way he is cos everyone gives in to him.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 74

Baguette

VIP Member
Harry's statement gets worse and worse with a re-read.

The thing that strikes me is that to Harry, the important bit about Prince Philip is that he was a 'legend of banter' and a 'master of the barbecue'. That's it. That's the only level on which Harry actually relates to his grandfather. The decorated war hero, respected by heads of state throughout the world, was just some 'cheeky' chappy.

Harry doesn't seem capable of understanding duty, service or honour. He recognises the words, but they have no meaning. There truly is a chip missing in Harry.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 72

Molsdol

Chatty Member
a very sincere message but omg the digs to his brother and sister in law. Very pointed and at least someone has the balls to say it all outloud.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72

Wackie Jeaver

VIP Member
Anna Pasternak writing in the Telegraph today:

Yet, in spite of her constant exclusion by the Royal Family – unlike Meghan who was warmly welcomed – Wallis kept her agonies private. She never once spoke out against her in-laws. Instead, perspicacious to the potential familial tensions ahead, she sent her husband off to England with the sage advice: “Do not mention or ask for anything regarding recognition of me.” Many will find it hard to imagine Meghan offering Harry such selfless instruction.

• Heart
Reactions: 70