Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

clondon

Okay so might get blocked from GTL and following on IG. I am the Autistic woman who posted in her group. Most of us state exactly what we see and can't avoid being unfiltered. We literally learn to lie by interacting with neurotypicals who often bullshit. We lack that skill and therefore often say what we think and as an earlier poster mentioned we are often worth listening to as our thoughts are simply honest not rude (while to neurotypicals it comes across as exactly that - rude ) My thoughts after the interaction were there are millions of autistic women and men most of us are blunt, direct etc most of us love social media as it is easier than interacting face to face. Sali didn't know I was autistic but surely everyone not just influencers needs to learn to accept those that are different from themselves. I didn't even mean brassy blonde in a rude way. I actually think it looks nice but from the photo isn't grey. Sali - if you are reading - you can't always get nice comments believe me anyone who is autistic knows this, no environment works like that and if all you want is praise then get off social media - it is a tough environment to hang out in - also educate yourself on neurodiversity it is very common.

• Heart
Reactions: 93

HattieJakes

To the aspiring writer who posted about the poor quality of Sali's journalism. This is what brings me here to the viper's nest also. I suppose I am an ex Sali groupie. I consumed a lot of Sali stuff and started noticing some of her career's "advice" regarding journalism was extremely dodgy and parts of her story just didn't add up. I noticed her column was becoming infuriatingly dull week-on-week. I attended one of her events where a young woman asked about how to get into journalism. Her answer involved relating her own backstory as a teenage runaway who was "always going to be a journalist" and getting a job at Loaded magazine because she tidied the accessories cupboard while the male staff were out for a boozy lunch. It was then I realised Sali was actually not a journalist. She is somebody born in a particularly lucky era where you could turn up at the doors of a media company and get a job. Her "advice" was basically, be like me, don't be boring or studious, don't get exams, leave school early, ingratiate yourself to all men especially older men at every opportunity and be the coolest girl around. So this, fellow sewer dwellers, is how one lands a Guardian column.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 81

Pixie06

VIP Member
Call me crazy, I have a little known secret it called "a make up bag". It's a revolutionary thing that you can put in your handbag AND remove it from one bag and put in another. Fucking wild right?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54

mindlessness

VIP Member
I have a visceral dislike of people using the 'she's a wife and mother' as a reason to feel sympathy. We are more than our familial attachments. Our value as humans does not come from our roles as daughters, sisters, wives, or mothers. I am not a wife and mother. I may never be a wife and mother, but that doesn't change my value as a person.

See also our Australian Prime Minister recently: https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/scott-morrison-jenny-apology-rape/

• Heart
Reactions: 47

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
Sali, if you are reading you need to take some lessons from this thread. You’ve every right to be offended by our feelings about your new ‘do and that’s obviously your prerogative but your behaviour towards the normal folk who seem to genuinely like you is absolutely despicable. Remember, these people mean that you have a viable career, they read your articles, buy your recommendations and follow you on social media, enabling you to draw ad revenue and more beauty media work. Hate us all you want but trampling on your fans seems to be absolutely self-defeating.

• Heart
Reactions: 47

Prognosis Negative

it was the very antithesis of cheering

Gotta ask tho, if you’re allergic to hair dye, and can’t use toners, then was bleaching your hair to bits really the best option?
There are options if you are unable to use said toners/dyes due to ingredients.

Direct dyes, though technically semi permanent can cover very well and last a long time, many are allergy safe and no developer required.

I had grey hair for several years, which I achieved by using a good quality bleach + silver shampoo and Pravana Chromasilk Vivids Silver dye.
I use these types of dyes as I am on long term chemotherapy and only do one process to preserve my hair integrity etc etc.

My hair is very dark with red undertones so can be particularly difficult to lift evenly ( I do it myself, #expertcolourist 😆) but the results are good even if my base isn't completely even.
You can easily vary the intensity with conditioner or mix in small amounts of other shades to neutralise particular areas for better tone overall.

The picture was taken about three weeks after dyeing so the more orange areas are more obvious, but they are just neutral/less vibrant, not brassy and strange still.
This was also six years ago, so there's way more to choose from and excellent tutorials nowadays.

It's a shame Sali had such an awful reaction before but it's so easy to avoid PPD etc if you need to, so maybe just get a fucking grip and work around it?

I don't personally use social media to speak directly with people I follow but do not know, but I really feel sad for those that do engage with her posts to be spoken to like that. It's pretty disingenuous to invite interaction in a private group in this way if you're going to be so nasty about it.
I imagine it must make those singled out feel quite upset.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45

Jools2216

This morning I was a member of the GTL group - this evening I am blocked. Interesting. She's definitely reading here guys.

I should say I have never ever commented or posted on GTL...

Also blocked from Instagram. Fuck she IS angry!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 41

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Just asked why they had to take such care if she wasn't allergic to the products they were using. It‘s like saying I’ve got a peanut allergy so I have to take care when eating cheese. Was genuinely confused and had to read her post about 3 times as thought I was missing something.
You QUESTIONED her? Through the one way praise channel? Oh my love, come and sit in the sewer.

I’d have gone for sassy, brassy and a little bit harass-y myself, but I’m basically an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: 37

melfish

VIP Member
"The hard grind in journalism" has about killed me. Did Sali do a three-year newspaper cadetship, work midnight to dawn shifts, do death knocks, court report, sit in parliament? police rounds? learn shorthand? Yeah, thought not

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
I don’t like Sali’s hair or her attitude. I don’t like her husband’s quiz show.
The comments I express about Sali here could easily be made verbally at work in the lunch room, in a cafe, in a school common room, a refectory. No police would be called. No manager would ask me to stop talking, or to leave the establishment. No employer would discipline me. No school would exclude me. Expressing personal opinions about a public figure isn’t trolling.
Disability discrimination on the other hand...

• Heart
Reactions: 36