Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also I thought Sali always asked herself: what would Madonna do? (Or was it Liz Taylor?) Could you imagine either of those asking a friend to sign up to a niche gossip site to set the record straight on how posh they were or weren't growing up 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Quite. The phrase "rise above it" springs to mind. But no, she cannot abide that this thread exists. She rants about how anyone who visits here is a sewer rat, yet she interacts with it either directly or indirectly herself. It's baffling

Reactions: 15
Also I thought Sali always asked herself: what would Madonna do? (Or was it Liz Taylor?) Could you imagine either of those asking a friend to sign up to a niche gossip site to set the record straight on how posh they were or weren't growing up 😅
Both of those women would quite rightly 100% say 'pfft who cares duck em'. And accept it is part and parcel of having a public profile.
Sali calls what is said here lies. It isn't. It is idle speculation and gossip on what she says. Why tf would you care for one second if somebody said you wear glasses but you don't actually need them? Wouldn't you just find it a bit silly and quite harmless? Ditto being posh but she isn't really. She has thousands of people gushing over everything she does but focuses on the most minute fly in the ointment (with her officially bad eyesight).

ETA and since Sali is so keen on freedom of speech here on Tattle how long would a poster last on her group saying 'well I'm on Tattle and like it'?
Different forums have different rules. She banned people for saying they thought Caitlin Moran was a pisspoor writer - 'she's my friend'. Very democratic.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
At this stage I have strong feelings of BOREDOM with it.

it’s a hairstyle, not brain surgery, ya kno? Who really gives a tit?

except for all the delicious drama 😂😂

🐀 🐀 🐀 🐀

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Both of those women would quite rightly 100% say 'pfft who cares duck em'. And accept it is part and parcel of having a public profile.
Sali calls what is said here lies. It isn't. It is idle speculation and gossip on what she says. Why tf would you care for one second if somebody said you wear glasses but you don't actually need them? Wouldn't you just find it a bit silly and quite harmless? Ditto being posh but she isn't really. She has thousands of people gushing over everything she does but focuses on the most minute fly in the ointment (with her officially bad eyesight).
Exactly! I don't get why she's giving it any of her energy

🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀

Reactions: 8
Which makes me wonder why those close to her are aiding abetting in this instead of steering her away from it, putting it in perspective etc
It is wierd isn't it. Maybe it is an itch they like scratching. If it were me and I were an influencer I'm sure I'd be horribly fascinated by here too. My very sensible OH would however firstly laugh at me for being an influencer in the first place and then tell me to wise up and get over myself and concentrate on the many perks of such a cushy and over rewarded lifestyle.

Reactions: 12
I’m sure I’ve said quite a few positive things and I don’t think I’ve ever been deleted. I don’t dislike her, I just wanted somewhere to discuss the influencer dynamic and because I was uncomfortable with some of the interactions I saw (Dawn O’Porter, Esther Walker etc) post Friday rant and knew that it wasn’t something that was tolerated as discussion directly in her / other influencers feeds.

It’s such a modern and evolving dynamic (online) that not being able to discuss it is crazy (and worrying).

Reactions: 23
Let's not spiral into introspection and self-examination again. This is all Sali

• Heart
  • Haha
There were loads of positive comments about her breast reduction article for example - have they all been deleted? Have I been banned and I’m the Sixth Sense version of Tattle and haven’t realised I’m the ghost equivalent of a poster 🤣🤣🤣

There are people taking about it on mumsnet too. It’s a shocking thread with the fact that some people say they like it, and some say they do not.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It was very grey on dye day, surely that was toner? I’m blonde, and there’s only so much purple shampoo can do. She’ll need to use something like the grey bleach london stuff (if she can). I’m not a fan of the hair TBH, doesn’t look like freshly coloured hair.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I’m not a great fan of Caitlin but Sali really needs to speak to her about resilience. I don’t doubt that Caitlin gets a ton of abuse not just online but also sometimes face to face.
Maybe she was upset because we all know the iconic hairstyle was the “Rachel” cut, not the “Jen”

There were loads of positive comments about her breast reduction article for example - have they all been deleted? Have I been banned and I’m the Sixth Sense version of Tattle and haven’t realised I’m the ghost equivalent of a poster 🤣🤣🤣

There are people taking about it on mumsnet too. It’s a shocking thread with the fact that some people say they like it, and some say they do not.
Some people on that thread like it. And some of them are saying she has Botox, slug eyebrows and yellow/blonde hair and in this climate free haircuts seem distasteful. Also they call her an influencer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Have you come across this phrase? It's been overused on websites like Into the Gloss for a while now. Implying that cool girl messy but healthy hair stereotype a la Jeanne Dumas, Charlotte Gainbourg or Jane Birkin. 2012 example: https://intothegloss.com/2012/10/french-girl-model-off-duty-hair/
More recently articles:

It's basically more of the same tit from those how to be french books we discussed in the last thread. The weird idolisation of a sterotype of a French woman.
Ohhhh great. More delusional old Francophile shite that makes me want to (censored for the sensitive) Paris.

The grand old 'off duty model' look!' Haha, that old bullshit beloved of fashion writers fresh out of any originality or sense of reality for the last four decades. You know why rubbish things look good on off duty models? Because they're super young, genetically blessed, bleeping MODELS that's why. A brown paper bag, a man's t-shirt three sizes too large, zero make up, a plaster cast and three week unwashed hair pulled back with a blue rubber band the postman threw on the driveway looks good on them. Doesn't mean the rest of us look good doing it. Jesus. Tell your average 43 old old Jane with difficult textured hair that blows up with humidity to follow this 'do nothing' advice and she'll get written up at work for looking 'unprofessional'.

As for trying to get us to believer all these glamorous French actresses look uhmazing making zero effort to even wash their hair. Illustrated with pics of them on red carpets after doubtless hours of very expensive and elite professional hair and make-up and wearing bloody couture. Unbelievable. We all know how much effort goes into the no make up 'look' (as opposed to no actual make-up). Same going on with this French tit. It's the art of looking like you don't really care, not actually acting like you don't care. I once had a boyfriend back in the day who favoured an artful beach bum look. He would spend an hour deciding which artfully holey shirt to wear, the vain twit. Same thing.

As for 'every woman in France' follows the rule never to dye your hair any colour than your natural colour. REALLY. Nobody in France bleaches, highlights or goes red, black, whatever? What old nonsense. I can think of multiple peroxdided French stars to begin with. I can also think of many with heavy PS and early nose jobs (Isabelle Adjani, come on in). It is such a weird mythology that gets passed around in the face of the evidence.

Sorry, had to get that all off my chest. Proceed as normal.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
it was the very antithesis of cheering

Gotta ask tho, if you’re allergic to hair dye, and can’t use toners, then was bleaching your hair to bits really the best option?
There are options if you are unable to use said toners/dyes due to ingredients.

Direct dyes, though technically semi permanent can cover very well and last a long time, many are allergy safe and no developer required.

I had grey hair for several years, which I achieved by using a good quality bleach + silver shampoo and Pravana Chromasilk Vivids Silver dye.
I use these types of dyes as I am on long term chemotherapy and only do one process to preserve my hair integrity etc etc.

My hair is very dark with red undertones so can be particularly difficult to lift evenly ( I do it myself, #expertcolourist 😆) but the results are good even if my base isn't completely even.
You can easily vary the intensity with conditioner or mix in small amounts of other shades to neutralise particular areas for better tone overall.

The picture was taken about three weeks after dyeing so the more orange areas are more obvious, but they are just neutral/less vibrant, not brassy and strange still.
This was also six years ago, so there's way more to choose from and excellent tutorials nowadays.

It's a shame Sali had such an awful reaction before but it's so easy to avoid PPD etc if you need to, so maybe just get a bleeping grip and work around it?

I don't personally use social media to speak directly with people I follow but do not know, but I really feel sad for those that do engage with her posts to be spoken to like that. It's pretty disingenuous to invite interaction in a private group in this way if you're going to be so nasty about it.
I imagine it must make those singled out feel quite upset.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Ohhhh great. More delusional old Francophile shite that makes me want to (censored for the sensitive) Paris.

The grand old 'off duty model' look!' Haha, that old bullshit beloved of fashion writers fresh out of any originality or sense of reality for the last four decades. You know why rubbish things look good on off duty models? Because they're super young, genetically blessed, bleeping MODELS that's why. A brown paper bag, a man's t-shirt three sizes too large, zero make up, a plaster cast and three week unwashed hair pulled back with a blue rubber band the postman threw on the driveway looks good on them. Doesn't mean the rest of us look good doing it. Jesus. Tell your average 43 old old Jane with difficult textured hair that blows up with humidity to follow this 'do nothing' advice and she'll get written up at work for looking 'unprofessional'.

As for trying to get us to believer all these glamorous French actresses look uhmazing making zero effort to even wash their hair. Illustrated with pics of them on red carpets after doubtless hours of very expensive and elite professional hair and make-up and wearing bloody couture. Unbelievable. We all know how much effort goes into the no make up 'look' (as opposed to no actual make-up). Same going on with this French tit. It's the art of looking like you don't really care, not actually acting like you don't care. I once had a boyfriend back in the day who favoured an artful beach bum look. He would spend an hour deciding which artfully holey shirt to wear, the vain twit. Same thing.

As for 'every woman in France' follows the rule never to dye your hair any colour than your natural colour. REALLY. Nobody in France bleaches, highlights or goes red, black, whatever? What old nonsense. I can think of multiple peroxdided French stars to begin with. I can also think of many with heavy PS and early nose jobs (Isabelle Adjani, come on in). It is such a weird mythology that gets passed around in the face of the evidence.

Sorry, had to get that all off my chest. Proceed as normal.
Aaaand breathe.
But yes totally agree. I am a sucker for the 'French woman vibe' tbh. I love the way some actually have wrinkles. But the whole thing is totally as artificial as any other standard women are expected to adhere to. Skinny, lightly tanned, messy pretty hair, slouchy mannish clothes, minimal makeup - apparently so casual but incredibly contrived. I love that look in theory but it is a myth that it is effortless. And that it is a birthright of every French woman.

• Heart
It's that whole Jeanne Damas/Caroline de Maigret thing. I am a bit of a sucker for it too

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.