Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New thread title was a joint effort between myself and @Badabing101.

* There was a Big Change and Sali has got a new hairdo. She has had it dyed grey. It had to be done at a special academy as it was such a complex case. PLEASE DON'T BE MEAN ABOUT IT HATERZ.
* Hershesons at last relented and Sali got her #gifted haircut 🎉 which included a wee soft fringe.
* Columns their usual standard - one on one moisturiser from Body Shop, another on a sustainable range of makeup from Zara. Presumably neither to be spoken of again.
* Sadly not much mention of potatoes 😥
* We won't talk about Quizness.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
To the aspiring writer who posted about the poor quality of Sali's journalism. This is what brings me here to the viper's nest also. I suppose I am an ex Sali groupie. I consumed a lot of Sali stuff and started noticing some of her career's "advice" regarding journalism was extremely dodgy and parts of her story just didn't add up. I noticed her column was becoming infuriatingly dull week-on-week. I attended one of her events where a young woman asked about how to get into journalism. Her answer involved relating her own backstory as a teenage runaway who was "always going to be a journalist" and getting a job at Loaded magazine because she tidied the accessories cupboard while the male staff were out for a boozy lunch. It was then I realised Sali was actually not a journalist. She is somebody born in a particularly lucky era where you could turn up at the doors of a media company and get a job. Her "advice" was basically, be like me, don't be boring or studious, don't get exams, leave school early, ingratiate yourself to all men especially older men at every opportunity and be the coolest girl around. So this, fellow sewer dwellers, is how one lands a Guardian column.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 81
See there is an article about her new hair for Vogue?
Oh, of bleeping COUR$E there is.

Unbelievable shite from ol' Face Full O'Fillers.

Does it still qualify as a midlife crisis when, instead of desperately trying to stay young by sleeping with young men and dressing like a college student, you actually hit the fast forward button and accelerate the ageing process?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Here is the piece if anyone wants to read it

Looks like some high scoring Sali bingo in this, I only skim read and already got paleness and Zoom references

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Looks like some high scoring Sali bingo in this, I only skim read and already got paleness and Zoom references
Haven't read it yet - do horrible trolls get a mention?

ETA - read it and sadly no.
That really is a very unflattering after photo. Her hair doesn't look grey there but sort of yellowy.
And I still fail to understand her revulsion for a few grey hairs. Hardly empowering getting older is it? Having to undergo such a massive change to make a huge statement to hide how actually grey she was (not very).
I'm not making myself clear as really I don't care about Sali's hair, but it isn't the hugely empowering and embracing age gesture she implies.
She now can tediously make herself a spokesperson for aging whilst again never mentioning the tweakments or Botox. We've never had a video or Vogue article about that have we?

Last edited:
Reactions: 25
There was a passive aggressive swipe at people who dared suggest she switch up her makeup. She made it clear she won't be wearing lilac (!) and will be sticking to the same clothes and colours

• Haha
Reactions: 14
The new colour looks yellow compared to the really cool tones of her natural greys on the before.

Reactions: 18
Has three fav purple shampoos already out of her ‘dozens’, despite having been grey for under a week?!

no wonder it looks dry if she is washing it so often

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I'm so glad she has dozens of purple shampoos. A true champion of sustainability!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
It is really difficult to keep the greyish tones. I‘ve tried lots of purple products and toners.It took ages to find good ones. Fairly happy with the system I have now. I had to buy my stuff though and used it up whether I liked it or not!
The thing that still confuses me is even when you look grey / white in places if you are naturally dark you’ll be fighting the brass for ever. It’s either the handful of dark individual hairs going brassy or the ‘DNA’ of your hair always tending that way.
Ive said it before but I was shocked at how weirded out I was when I changed my hair colour.

I definitely changed my make up too. That bit I quite enjoyed. A bright cool toned lipstick was needed.

Reactions: 13
While things may be changing slowly, there is no doubt that both the beauty industry and consumers remain youth-obsessed. But I have never lied about my age, and one thing that I have never been able to tolerate is being told – either directly or indirectly – how I should look.

I am not about to “go natural” for its own sake and the patronising term “growing old gracefully” practically makes me want to bathe in Botox. My hair does not mean I am “embracing old age”

Right. Guess WHY consumers remain youth-obsessed...

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
When I was adding to the Wiki a section on the Radio 4 programme, I realised that neither in the programme nor in any of the associated articles or interviews was there any reference (by herself or others) to her work as a social media influencer - despite it being absolutely central to the 'trolling' she was apparently seeking to understand.

Here, again, in the Vogue article - where apparently it was her job as an events host, not as an influencer, that she was warned might be at risk if she was looking older:

'I was warned privately that it would be a bad move. A big part of my job is hosting public and industry events for retailers and brands. After I mentioned online that I was considering grey, a few well-meaning beauty industry colleagues suggested I might now be seen as “older generation” and risk losing out on work.'

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
My husband has a preference for brunettes, but I felt confident he (greying himself) wasn’t about to pack his bags, and anyway, he felt strongly that silver would suit me

I feel strongly I didn't need to know that.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.