Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Vermilion

I want to give another update from Germany because I thought this was quite interesting today.
here, the federal states can make their own rules and the one I live in (in Northern Germany) has announced today that as of May 11 all shops will open again.
Also, restaurants are allowed to reopen. Bars, pubs and club will remain closed.
They are still keeping the rule that you cannot see more than one person outside of your household but have said that this may be lifted from May 18.
Seems a bit silly to basically allow all social life to go back to normal (with distance regulations etc) but not allow family and friends to see each other...

In other news, some may remember that I talked about being pregnant before. Well, I’m not anymore and gave birth to a healthy, beautiful baby boy last Sunday. Apart from everyone wearing masks in the hospital, it didn’t feel as if anything was going on outside and to be honest that was lovely. Felt like I lived in a bubble. Birth was rough and ended in a c section with full anaesthesia so neither me nor my boyfriend could welcome the little guy immediately. Still struggling with that a little bit. Other than that, all is well (apart from slight anxiety once night is approaching...)
Some of you had asked me to report on the birth so there :)

It has really taken my mind off the pandemic and I’m grateful for that.

• Heart
Reactions: 63

MakeMineADouble

VIP Member
As someone who’s parent died recently and whos cause of death on his death certificate was ‘Coronavirus’, I cannot tell you how much this angers me. He was poorly for many many years, in a care home for the remainder of his life. He died OF cancer. He died WITH Coronavirus. Who knows how many deaths have Coronavirus as the cause on their certificates when they were sadly dying anyway? I might be sounding incredibly insensitive but I really think their should be a clear differentiation between deaths CAUSED BY and deaths WITH.... imo anyway. Rant over.

• Sad
Reactions: 38

MakeMineADouble

VIP Member
My turn to be feeling a little bit down in the dumps. God I’ve tried to be positive but today I’m just going to accept it’s one of those days.

It’s my dads funeral this week, hard to accept only a few people are allowed to attend and not allowed to console and stand with one another. No wake, no get together. Nothing. In all honestly, I don’t want to go and would rather ‘celebrate his life’ as such when we are all able to see one another. I appreciate there are many others experiencing the same when it comes to funerals during this pandemic.

I was also due to have a pelvic scan on 18th March, it got moved to 1st April then cancelled altogether. I was fine initially with this but I’m now starting to panic. I’ve been having tests for the last year (I won’t go into too much detail) but it got to the point that my gp was concerned and arranged for the scan. The last few days my mind has been on overdrive and thinking the worst.

So yeah, today’s pretty shit *opens the gin* it’s 5pm somewhere.

I’ve not really opened the gin, as tempting as it sounds.

• Sad
Reactions: 35

Ciechoslava

I think regardless of when they lift it people will feel apprehensive and scared. It they drag it out until september it will be flu season around the corner again they clearly want some level of herd immunity before then. Come on guys lets be real, all the nightingales are empty, this virus causes mild cold symptoms in majority of people. I feel lile government have done such a good job at scaring us as if the mortality rate of this virus was 50% or something. Logical mind tells me there is so many bugs and viruses out there and always have been even before this that we cant live in constant fear or we will go crazy. I think we should all breathe and realise this virus isnt as deadly as everyone seems to think there is definitely worse things out there we are prone to catching. Lets breathe keep calm and carry on 👍🏼

• Heart

MakeMineADouble

VIP Member
I’ve had countless takeaways since lockdown. Im sticking to guidelines but I refuse to worry about absolutely everything and it literally control my life. I’d risk it for a biscuit (quite literally).

• Heart
  • Haha

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
My husbands just come home from nearly 5 weeks away from me and the children. First he was working with Covid-19 patients, then he caught it and didn’t want to put the kids at risk. It’s really made him reevaluate his priorities. We were supposed to be moving to NYC in the coming few months I’m for him to start a new job. Now, he’s decided life is too short to be working the ungodly hours that he/we do and he’s decided to quit.

He said he has never felt so sick in his life and some of the things he’s seen he can’t unseen.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 32

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Does anyone watch interviews with Professor Neil Ferguson? Naughty boy!

THE SCIENTIST whose advice led to Boris Johnson putting Britain in lockdown has resigned from his government advisory position after he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing to reduce the spread of coronavirus.

The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house, the Daily Telegraph reported.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 30
Soooooo glad I don’t have kids. Sorry 🙈 Honestly though couldn’t think of anything worse that being stuck at home 24hrs a day looking after a kid. I’m happy just my little quiet dog and hubby 👌🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 29

Doeli70

VIP Member
We got the takeaways for the kids. Hubby dealt with the boxes etc And wiped all the surfaces down but then for the first time in 7 weeks of us isolating he felt really anxious and he’s usually so laid back. He has asthma and he said he usually feels in control wiping all the groceries when they come but he said this was boxes, kids waiting for their food and them picking boxes up he hadn’t yet put outside. So now he’s stressed incase he will catch it off the pizza boxes and chip paxkaging. He’s never said anything like this before but he said he felt so uneasy and unsafe handling it all without gloves on and impatient teensgers touching handles and plates before washing their hands made him worry more. It turned stressful and now I’m going to bed stressed out. Told my daughter don’t ask again as this didn’t need to be that stressful with you all around thr food like flies round shit before Dad had chance to remove it all from the packaging 😂 He’s had a shower but now he has me worrying about the da,n packaging and if he will be ok.

Jez, all that for the kids to have a pizza 😂
Please don't stress. We've been ordering Dominoes since the start of lockdown and eaten it straight from the box. We don't wipe down our groceries either. This would stress me out more. Just wash your hands and use hand sanitiser before and after eating.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I'm not on benefits, I'm an NHS front line worker. Almost 30000 is a lot of deaths. Whilst the majority do have mild symptoms there is still a sizeable percentage that has quite a severe illness which can result in life changing effects. It kills young healthy people, we have lost a lot of healthcare workers, which we can ill afford to do. The government's response to not getting enough ppe was to downgrade the ppe we should wear when working with those with the virus. Until we can protect those that do have to face this illness then we need to keep numbers down. It also breaks my heart what is happening in our care homes and I have elderly relatives who wont survive it. Therefore it gets personal.

My husband is self employed, we have half our income whilst he doesn't work do I know we need to work. But I want to do so safely in a way that protects others.

50sGirl

VIP Member
I think once lockdown is lifted it will take me a very long time before I choose to go shopping again other than for essential items. Am I the only one who feels like this? 🙁

nittygrittyditty91

I just need to say, I’m sick to the back teeth of this pandemic. And now on the news today they’re saying they are planning to ease off furlough. People do not seem to understand lock down is a temporary measure to ease the rate of the virus. It’s not to stop it in its track and eradicate it. This virus is around for the future we must learn to live with it.
What’s annoying me the most is I’m a busy single mum with still a full time job. And I just can’t carry on like this. Juggling with no child care. But a job to attend. Same for people who’ve been furloughed or self employed. People don’t seem to see that the greater good we need to go back to work sooner rather than later. People can’t live realistically like this for much longer. I’m sick of seeing posts on Facebook of people scaremongering and moaning about what might be. If the government send us back we’ve just got to get on with it. This pandemic will cause more issues than the deaths it already has.

• Wow
Reactions: 24

LittleMy

VIP Member
The thing I take issue with is the people downplaying it to get back to normality. These are the same people who probably never had it or who don’t actually know of anyone close to them who has. It’s easy to say “oh it’s not all that bad” when you haven’t experienced it. I’m not saying it’s the worst thing I’ve ever had (I had Sepsis, that was much worse) but it is a horrible illness that is very hard to shake, and that’s me having had it mild. For some, there is no coming back from this. The scary part is, you don’t know how you or your loved ones will react. You might be lucky and it only feels like a bad cold, or you may end up on a vent.

Reactions: 24

Missprudence79

I hope you don’t mind. I just need to vent.

I am a health worker. I have been on long term sick, waiting for major surgery which finally happened at the start of the year. I was due to return back to work in March. Then Covid struck. Due to being in the vulnerable category, I was advised I needed to be in a non patient facing role. Which work couldnt facilitate. So I am at home, on basic pay.

my husband was furloughed a week after lockdown was implemented. We have stayed safe at home. Yesterday we were hit with a awful email telling my husband he is being made redundant and giving him a weeks notice. WTF. They get rid of someone, while they aren’t even paying the wage, with a weeks notice. Why not say your being made redundant From the 1st July ? It is so hard to get a job as we are in lockdown. How can we go from his income of £2800 a month to universal credit £78 a week.

I am beyond devastated. Our older sons have lost their jobs too. So we are supporting them. Now we will struggle to put food on the table.

I have decided that although I am at risk I will have to return to work on the wards.
Sorry I needed to rant and tell someone 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 23

Prgirl_cesca

VIP Member
My marriage can barely withstand an IKEA trip let alone 8 weeks in a house together with no escape AND an Ikea trip.

• Haha
  • Heart

Spencerskates

VIP Member
Any other girls who also have been isolating without their boyfriends please feel my pain.
When Boris is going to review lockdown, with potential easing of restrictions: Sunday.
When my next period is due: Monday.

why must the world test me in these ways?!😂

• Haha

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
Lord above. Homeschool has been a little frantic today...kids all fine really, but it’s just a bit manic trying to field the queries and respond to all 3 of them sometimes!

My middle child (KS2) just got stuck on a Maths question and asked for help. I called him over and we worked through it together. When we got to the answer I happened to be holding the pen as I’d been showing him some of the workings out. So I wrote the answer (that essentially he’d come up with). He then took the pen back, gave the answer a big tick, gave me the cheekiest grin and said “Well done Mum- you’re tried really well there.”

Honestly...stick a fork in me-I’m done. Is it too early for gin?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

hnoz

VIP Member
Is anyone else on furlough concerned there may not be a job to go back to? It's been niggling me for a while and I imagine it will be dependent on the govt plan to exit lockdown but the business I work for relies heavily on live events with hundreds or even thousands of people in attendance. Moving them online means they have to charge less, but then need more people to attend - I can't imagine attending events in person or online is going to be a high spending priority for other companies struggling as well so no idea how sustainable this will be and therefore jobs are likely to be at risk.
A significant proportion of people currently furloughed will not be going back to their job. It is crazy the amount of people who can't see this and just think they are on a holiday and calling for it to last for months past the end of June. I don't think they would be demanding their workplace shut for longer if they were getting less than 80% or knew they weren't going back into employment, both of which are likely soon.

• Sad
Reactions: 21