Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Albi

VIP Member
This whole “it was 10 years ago” bullshit really PISSES me off!
I know this is an extreme example but if someone murdered someone or raped someone 10 years ago, they don’t get off by saying “but I’ve not murdered or raped anyone in 10 years, I’ve changed, therefore don’t punish me” Fuck off! You’re going down!
The only just punishment she deserves is to lose her business imo. She wouldn’t have a business if most people had seen these tweets before now, so she doesn’t deserve to keep her business, just because she’s managed to reign in her disgusting views for a few years (online at least).

• Heart
Reactions: 40

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Tbh Gabby must be delighted that anyone considers Polly to be her friend, because that means she has a friend

(Oops sorry thought this was on the Gabby thread)

• Haha

Kitten458

What stood out in that post was the amount of times Polly used ‘I’ or ‘me’ or ‘mine’. I counted and it was around 90 times across that post. If anything sums up her ‘apology’ it’s that. Utterly self absorbed and no awareness of the impact she’s had

Attachments

• Wow

strawberry1235

Just though I'd let you know guys... the previous thread (as of right now) has more than 86,000 views... 😲

• Wow
Reactions: 39

rdemp

“Then I turned my attention to my main focus: advising Mrs Vadasz on the cruel backlash her poor daughter is receiving as a result of tweeting a few harmless jokes when she was just a small child”.

(I still can’t get over Polly’s mum acknowledging JG’s surgery and then going on to ask her for help dealing w racism backlash regardless 🤣)

Attachments

• Haha

cass87

To be honest, I don't think we can expect every small business / influencer that's ever followed her to make a formal public statement. It's really if someone has actively collaborated with her, publicly championed her, or promoted her business.

• Heart

hhheyyyy

Are people really that obsessed with her silly little stationary brand that they’re publicly defending a bigot? I’m baffled

• Heart
Reactions: 38

fortunecat

I completely agree what Polly said was abhorrent and it shows an entrenched view. It was definitely her world view and her seemingly conservative upbringing all goes hand in hand. I also think her apology was weak and that she needs to address it properly instead of going offline while this situation escalates.

It’s just got me thinking. Can anyone say they’ve gone through life without regretting a worldview they held before? I’m a psychologist and I can’t help but consider this approach extremely black and white, whereas life happens in the grey area. If I gave up on a client because they were racist, I’d be pretty disappointed in myself. This is less about Polly and more about cancel culture in general. I can’t think of any influencer or celebrity who has been deemed “cancelled” where the public were satisfied with their apology - because the argument always returns to “Well they did it in the first place, they clearly meant it and it’s part of them”. It does seem that once the act has been committed, there’s no going back. Unless someone can point me in the direction of a celeb that has managed the heartfelt apology we’re looking for that does completely redeem their character (because I would genuinely like to know if you can think of anyone).

In the last few years I’ve had deeply uncomfortable conversations with family members about race and pro-life/pro-choice debates. People I love have had bigoted world-views. We have had difficult conversations; some have changed their views, others have held onto their discriminatory values. Am I supposed to cut ties from people who have held those views in the past? I can’t say my Uncle dedicated himself to ‘bettering himself’ or donated to any charities for redemption. I also know my Uncle is not an influencer, like Polly (thank god, he would be a true menace). I’m not saying it’s our responsibility to educate anyone but these views clearly come from a place of ignorance, fear, whatever way they were raised, whatever life experiences they’ve had, it can be a form of self-preservation, protection. There’s lots of reasons and the results are harmful, terrible, ugly; but there are always misguided reasons. I’m not saying you have to empathise with racists, ableists, abusers. I am saying there’s a reason they are the way they are. It’s misinformed, it’s incorrect - but vilifying them doesn’t do anything productive. Human nature is not black and white, people are not wholly good or bad.

I also think it’s interesting people point out “16 is old enough to understand racism”. Sixteen in many countries isn’t even old enough to understand consent. Many people much older than 16 sadly still do not understand racism. But at sixteen, you’re still living with your parents. You’re probably in school. Your world is much smaller than it later becomes. I know I didn’t share those views when I was 16, I knew better. But then again, I was raised in liberal household, went to a public school, was exposed to books and ideas that made me realise my privilege. I’m not above thinking if my life situation had been different, I could have grown up with racist views too. You’re not born racist. Not everyone reaches the same conclusions at the same time - but isn’t the point that they grow, change and get there? (Also I’m not saying Polly has arrived there lol I can’t comment because I don’t know, but simply wondering)

Lastly, I think I’m actually curious what solution there is? When someone has been found to have said hateful things or done a hateful act in the past - how can it be fixed in the present? I saw someone ask this question on Twitter where it received a response “It’s not my job to educate you. Figure it out yourself”. Which I understand and the asker was hostile/provocative anyway, but ultimately that kind of response is a cop-out too. It’s probably because no one knows the answer. Once you’re branded a racist, it’s unlikely anyone will forget regardless of what you do, even if you have genuinely changed and produce a heartfelt apology. Again: I’m not apologising for racists, but I’m curious about former-racists and where they belong in the world. Do they still have a place or would you choose to disassociate with them based on their past beliefs?

In regards Polly Vadasz, maybe she still holds those views, maybe she doesn’t. I don’t know. I do know there’s some cruel comments in this thread, particularly blaming her for her ‘dysfunctional family’. Right now her apology is hollow, the decision to donate future proceeds is ridiculous. I always feel like donating to charities when you’ve been caught out is hollow anyway. She’s clearly worried about her business’ image making her profile private and silencing comments on the Sighh page. I’ve never bought anything from Sighh and I don’t know her at all. I know she has hurt people, she needs to take real responsibility, apologise, make steps towards meaningful change.

Sorry for the length. This is mostly useless content, I was just thinking out loud. Also major props to Yasminjohal! Best call out I’ve ever read.

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
This whole “it was 10 years ago” bullshit really PISSES me off!
I know this is an extreme example but if someone murdered someone or raped someone 10 years ago, they don’t get off by saying “but I’ve not murdered or raped anyone in 10 years, I’ve changed, therefore don’t punish me” Fuck off! You’re going down!
The only just punishment she deserves is to lose her business imo. She wouldn’t have a business if most people had seen these tweets before now, so she doesn’t deserve to keep her business, just because she’s managed to reign in her disgusting views for a few years (online at least).
I agree. Also, I don't want to go OTT lawyer here but the criminal age of responsibility in this jurisdiction is 10 years old. If children of 10 can be held culpable for criminal behaviour then I'm really not clear on why Polly's mother or anyone else thinks saying 'oh well she was 14, she's changed' makes a blind bit of difference? Hate speech is a crime, blackmailing people is a crime, holding naked photos of other people without their consent and threatening them with the photos is a crime, I'm sure putting laxatives in someone's drink is some kind of assault...this goes so far beyond what we usually mean when we say 'things were different then' or 'something was more acceptable then' (although for the reasons I and others have pointed out I don't think that's true in this case anyway...)

I think there's also a problem that some people will blindly rage against 'cancel culture' before even looking at what it is that's happened. I can't remember which poster and it doesn't matter, but when the Elle Darby thing happened someone started yelling about how old tweets aren't important and it's pathetic to shut someone down for saying something like 'that's so gay'. Obviously, saying 'that's so gay' is not what Elle said, far from it. The point is people are so quick to defend people when something is old because of 'cancel culture' without even looking at what it is, and I don't understand that. Nobody can actually cancel Polly, and for that she should be grateful - she is self employed and won't lose her job. If people choose to no longer collaborate with her or buy her products because of her old posts that's her own fault, and they are perfectly within their rights to do that. That's not 'cancel culture'.

• Heart

ECH

VIP Member
Why does ‘incredibly sorry for the behaviour of my PAST self’ feel passive aggressive
Like couldn’t she have just left it at sorry for my behaviour
Take responsibility
She's trying to separate herself from that behaviour, as if it was another person

chalkboard987

Long-time lurker on Tattle generally, first time poster on this thread - this is just a big spill out of my thoughts because I am not being productive at work and I need to get some headspace back. This whole thing has literally given me a migraine as I feel so guilty.

There's no doubt that this needs addressing on the Sighh account. Over the space of just over a year I've spent over a hundred pounds on stuff from there and I just feel completely physically sick about it now. I also still have a pending order - if I didn't know what was going on with her right now I'd probably be looking at the socials wondering why the heck the comments were turned off, I'd be angrily emailing wanting an update... but now I'm just wanting her to cancel all the orders honestly.

I also have a real problem with the number of times she's referred to Sighh as a "feminist business" or used feminist themes on collections... does she not realise that feminism is an intrinsically left-wing ideology and does not even begin to combine with right-wing views?

I feel really bad for the women who work for her, they may end up bearing the brunt of the incoming downturn of the business... She shouldn't be donating a percentage of her "profits", she should be donating a percentage of her personal salary that she pays herself.

I feel like such a mug, I've got some of her prints in my office next to prints from genuine feminist, inclusive businesses...

• Heart

insilverandgold

I simply don't think that of all the people who could go into schools and deliver diversity training and anti-bullying training, Polly would be the most qualified to do this. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought more can be learnt from the victims rather than the perpetrators.
Speaking as a teacher, the absolute LAST thing that education in the UK needs right now is this kind of virtue signalling nonsense. We work so hard with the right agencies and professionals and she clearly has no idea what the real world is like. The absolute nerve of her asking teachers for their help to try and make herself feel better is unbelievable. I am far too busy educating the children in my class to, in her own words, tell her something that she can ‘listen to, to inform her in the future’.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

melodic

This really helps contextualise just how ridiculous the 'but she was only a child!!' argument is. She was old enough to be going into college. She was old enough to get the credentials needed to enter the workforce. She was old enough to be on the cusp of starting her own business. She was old enough to know better. End of.
Very this.

Plus, when I was 16, I was very vocal about animal welfare and LGBT rights, had been vegetarian for a year, and came out. While I didn't necessarily understand all about systematic racism, I still understood racism = bad, and it wasn't OK to use slurs (not that it even entered my mind to want to use them anyways)

So, we definitely can do stupid things when we're young. I know I had an attitude problem at times, and was moody, but I'd slam doors, lock myself in my room and play The Sims for hours on end, and only grunt in response if my parents asked me something. I wasn't posting about stamping on Ethiopian children or how much I hated foreigners.

Annnd, my thoughts on 'cancelling' Polly - I have a small business myself, and for me it's not about cancelling anyone. It's about informing people of this and letting them decide for themselves if they want to support/continue supporting her business. 🤷‍♀️

• Heart

hhheyyyy

This message somehow felt passive aggressive. Like not remorseful at all. I don’t even think we can call it an apology? She’s not apologised she’s just played the victim and basically called out tattle for outing her, and ‘pressuring the people around her’. She’s clearly desperate to draw a line in this now and paint herself as a tortured soul who was just attention seeking. Literally the exact excuss Shane Dawson and Jeffree star gave for their racist pasts 😭😭

maxxxxx

i still cant get over the fact that shes not donating any money to charitable causes now, it will be from profit going forward. so if people rightfully choose to no longer support her business, nothing happens?? just bonkers.

(not that i think throwing money at a problem solves it, but its a bit more of a meaningful gesture)

I feel like that post is a lottt of words that say very little. It’s not adding to the dialogue or really adding anything new since her story post a few weeks ago. It’s a bit self indulgent in my opinion.

glad she finally posted on Sighh account though.

Reactions: 36