Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

kalechips

VIP Member
I really feel for her because she does seem to be floundering, and I agree with her that we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves during a pandemic BUT I really take issue with her (and every influencer's) understanding of self-care. Self-care shouldn't just be giving yourself a free pass to do nothing and give in to your every want. Self-care should include discipline to do the things you know you have to do. If she likes her job as much as she says she does then IMO she really should buckle down and get back to doing actual work. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic and I get she's been through so much and lockdown has been hard for everyone, but I feel like she's taking it unusually hard for someone who has been lucky enough to not have lost her job, home, or a loved one because of it. I get the anxiety that comes with the pandemic, but what has lockdown taken away from her? Going out shopping and eating out in restaurants? I wonder if all these influencers are taking lockdown so hard because it has forced them to come to terms with the fact that they have no hobbies or interests outside of consumerism. Sorry for the long rant, I'm so tired of seeing all these youtubers who are in some of the most secure positions talk about covid like its something that has happened specifically to them and not a major global event that involves everybody.

• Heart
Reactions: 51

getawaywithit

VIP Member
She looks good. But I’m over it, sorry. I actually have a lot of understanding about mental health and taking needed health leaves/sabbaticals, but it’s obvious she’s just going to sporadically do this whenever she feels like it and then come back with a bait-y ‘update’ video that answers nothing as per usual, makes promises, and then after a while repeats the entire cycle.

Like I said, I support caring for your health above all else, and it is my personal experience with this exact thing that makes it so frustrating to watch people like Alix pretend as though they work a normal job where they took ‘time off’. The reference to ‘first day back at work’ is somewhat offensive to me. It’s not— it’s not the same at all to a job where you have a contract, a boss, and daily responsibilities and goals that must be met and taking MONTHS off has actual consequences and requires planning and sacrifice. But it’s like they all “play house” (or ‘play career’) online to look good or frame their disappearance as something it wasn’t. I mean, she’s wearing a suit to take pics on her room showing she’s ‘back at work’. How much more performative can you get? Why not come back with a new video, some content, and future plans? Instead “hey guyss... I cut my hair..”... and of course the typical, “Thank you to all the lovely people who asked if I was okay”.

If they could just be honest and be like— yeah this isn’t really a real job and I’m not worried anymore about losing followers so I’m just going to do with it what I please for now, I’m thankful this is what I can do to make a living though. Then fine! Instead they fully pretend as though they clocked out and had an official LOA.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

PeterF

That wrap cardigan looks like shes going for her black belt. What's with all these youtubers "adding pieces to their collections" ..... drives me mad, as if their the curator of a museum. You bought a jumper, get a grip.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Sophie85

73D82E57-66B6-43DF-ADA6-1072192F1FDA.jpeg

this is the Alix I miss 💔 I completely understand that you can change styles & prefer other looks as we get older & mature, but she’s so far removed from these days where she seemed generally a bit more relaxed & not trying too hard. I used to really love her style, it was relatable & didnt cost the earth and were things that people ACTUALLY wore day to day.
Unfortunately this beige BB copycat london try hard image has made me finally unsubscribe, it’s too boring & just doesn’t feel authentic in the slightest.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

getawaywithit

VIP Member
Wow I don’t see what you guys are seeing. I don’t know that we’ve seen enough of this guy to even make a basic assessment of his personality, let alone guess at something as serious as DV or even just to say he’s shady? Alix is definitely codependent but she’s also clearly depressed and anxious and has always had a hard time having friends before this relationship. I’m the first to point out toxic parts of a relationship or obviously to gossip about others but making vague speculations of abuse from literally nothing is crossing the line.

What we have seen, he actually seems nice and chill. I’ve always thought it was sweet that he makes a Mother’s Day card to Alix from her dog— cheesy yes but he is trying to make a tough day somehow positive for her. Just one thing but it’s thoughtful.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

Sophie85

08CD5F34-F667-484A-AC5D-C9FED47A5390.jpeg
This has been posted on someone else’s thread - I wonder if Alix has received a similar email and this is the real reason she’s back....?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 29

blueblueindigo

Honestly, I used to love her until a moment last year during #BLM when she got called out for posting a "favorites" video during peak #BLM. I am a woman of color, and it was hurtful because she has no problem being gone for months when her own "mental health" is jeopardized but when an entire community is hurting, she was ethically fine with posting content in the name of "having bills to pay". The way she handled her criticism (basically letting her mostly white fans defend her for doing the bare minimum and responding with "my mental health doesn't need to be brought into this") was so unscrupulous. She even archived the post so I don't have screenshots anymore.
Because the world doesn't stop because of a socio-political movement happening in the US, just like presumably you haven't stopped going to work when there are women imprisoned in Iran for standing up to misogynist policies, or are being sterilised in China due to their religion, or are going hungry in the UK due to austerity policies? Would you have been satisfied with her posting a black box on instagram or repeating something cliche and insincere on a youtube video? Bills do still need to be paid, you can question the ethics of being involved in an industry that preaches consumerism, but calling her out for basically not being "performative" when so many UK influencers who posted their "thoughts and prayers" were criticised is a bit much. And yes, the different countries of the UK have their own issues with policing and discrimination, not just based on race, do you care, do you think seeing a wealthy youtuber miles away saying something trite actually makes a difference?

Reactions: 29
Haaahaaahaaa🤣🤣🤣 one day passed, ONE DAY and she's already posting affiliate links😅 she is soooooo predictable it hurts (from laughing)🤪

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 26

kalechips

VIP Member
I don't mean to always try to turn this into a rave thread lol but I wish she would just start vlogging again, not even super edited, moody, BB ripoff type of vlogs, just like the old school youtube ones. Even if it's just her walking her dog and cooking. She has a calm genuine presence that is nice to see in videos.

• Heart

zuzu

that apparently lots of people had been asking for? riiiight. I love books, watch some booktube too. Alix is not who I am going to go to for book reccomendations...

Also amusing that browsing a bookstore and just picking up books that appeal to her is a new idea. Wild idea to not just read what's trendy.
I wouldn’t take book advice from someone who chose to display their books with the spines inward to create an aesthetically~ pleasing bookcase:rolleyes:

• Heart

getawaywithit

VIP Member
Once again I think people just continue to underestimate just how much even a mid tier Instagram influencer can earn from one basic post, let alone a campaign or multiple ads for multiple big name brands over the years. Add to that your affiliate links, etc., AND the fact that Alix has been in this for a long time and had a relatively successful YT channel as a guru at the height of its popularity which would have earned her bags of money. So yeah, she can afford rent in London lol especially with her boyfriend contributing half of it.

I’ll say it again— they earn obscene amounts from ONE post alone.

This is a common theme in almost every thread over the years I’ve read from YTers to Influencers, guessing at what the secret stash of money it is that they must have, trying to work out how they can afford to live where they do, etc. Guys... there’s a common denominator here and it’s the industry. It pays you buckets of money and once you’ve earned a spot/audience, you don’t have to even work consistently.

• Sad
Reactions: 25

kalechips

VIP Member
I know it's easy for me to say what I would do in someone else's position when I have no idea what it's like to be them...but man if I was her, or any kind of influencer I'd be hustling so hard while the influencer bubble still exists and you can still make insane amounts of money for doing the bare minimum. I love Alix but it kind of kills me inside knowing I have to work for several weeks or months to make what she can make in one sponsored IG post.

Reactions: 25

Sunburnsjess

She looks good. But I’m over it, sorry. I actually have a lot of understanding about mental health and taking needed health leaves/sabbaticals, but it’s obvious she’s just going to sporadically do this whenever she feels like it and then come back with a bait-y ‘update’ video that answers nothing as per usual, makes promises, and then after a while repeats the entire cycle.

Like I said, I support caring for your health above all else, and it is my personal experience with this exact thing that makes it so frustrating to watch people like Alix pretend as though they work a normal job where they took ‘time off’. The reference to ‘first day back at work’ is somewhat offensive to me. It’s not— it’s not the same at all to a job where you have a contract, a boss, and daily responsibilities and goals that must be met and taking MONTHS off has actual consequences and requires planning and sacrifice. But it’s like they all “play house” (or ‘play career’) online to look good or frame their disappearance as something it wasn’t. I mean, she’s wearing a suit to take pics on her room showing she’s ‘back at work’. How much more performative can you get? Why not come back with a new video, some content, and future plans? Instead “hey guyss... I cut my hair..”... and of course the typical, “Thank you to all the lovely people who asked if I was okay”.

If they could just be honest and be like— yeah this isn’t really a real job and I’m not worried anymore about losing followers so I’m just going to do with it what I please for now, I’m thankful this is what I can do to make a living though. Then fine! Instead they fully pretend as though they clocked out and had an official LOA.
This 👏👏👏 thanks for summarising so well, I totally agree with everything you said. It’s an absolute JOKE she casually throws in that the 1st of MARCH is her first day back at work. I’m sorry WHAT?!? As a key worker who has been working long hours with minimal time off through the pandemic, I found her “return to social media” smug and absolutely off putting. She doesn’t even reliably put out content when she’s “working”.

She’s lost over 500 followers on Instagram today as per socialblade so her posts have obviously not been received very well.

Reactions: 24

testycall

"I haven't been anywhere or stayed the night anywhere in the past year" didn't she go to Scotland in summer?

Also confused at not one single mention of Joe & whether he got it and what his symptoms were

Reactions: 24