Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I am reading my 242nd book of the year. Which is way above usual for me but I have spent 4 months (so far) in hospital in bed, the Kindle says "Typical time to read 5 hrs 22 minutes" and that is one day in bed. I have read a book a day most days since being here. Thank goodness for the Kindle!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Tempted to ask admin to automatically remove any posts that say “***** is only 99p on kindle” in order to save me from myself 😐

Just like an alcoholic would ask their friends to lock away the Bacardi Breezer before they go home.

(yes I did say Bacardi Breezer. 😐
the OG one obviously)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
It’s my birthday today and I got a kindle voucher worth £40 off a friend 😇😇😇 looks like i can’t be on a book buying ban anymore!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
99p books will be the death of me.
i draw the line at paying 8 quid for a book, then buy twenty seven at 99p a pop and come on here, find a book that’s been mentioned, by that as well and store the rest in my TBR 🙈

and no, I absolutely did not read another Christmas book,
I don’t know where you got that from but you’re a liar 😐
I have to admit, stick a turkey or Christmas tree in a storyline and I tend to overlook how god awful the book actually is.
I'm a sucker for a bit of garland to cover up a woeful plot.

exactly how many castles are there in Scotland and the U.K. and why are the handsome owners always single........sitting ready for the damaged woman/single mum that they’ll wife up.

but my birthday is coming soon and I plan to get my husband to get me another one
I’ve just realised we’ll have this thread at CHRISTMAS!!!!
book gifts, gift suggestions, post Christmas/new year reads 🥰😃😍

• Haha
Reactions: 17
My morning trip to the library was successful. Picked up 7 books. 6 for me and 1 for OH. I've finished the first one - Convenience store woman. It was a quick read (163 pages) and was really good. I've had it on my wish list for over 2 years so really glad I picked it up.
I've done a quick look at the prices of the 14 books I've got from the library the last few weeks. If I purchased kindle it would've cost £72. Paperback would've been £102. That is a crazy amount saved!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

Geranium

VIP Member
I just use a notebook. I find it satisfying writing it down. I aim to read 100 books a year but I’m on well over 160 this year largely due to this thread!

• Wow
  • Heart
I have started “the plot” today after putting it off since Monday. Still getting started so no thoughts yet. I saw this and thought of you all 😂

I’m reading my library book and missing my kindle!
D78C10C6-734F-423B-BA53-ED654FACE273.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha

slugella

VIP Member
Maybe we could do a bit of an end of year round up similar to how on Goodreads people vote for their favourites from different categories. :giggle: or rather than genres we could do things like best overall, funniest book, one I would re-read, book I finished in a day etc.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I Am Pilgrim is 99p today. It is one of the best books I have read this year.
Its such a good read. Wonder if we'l ever get his next book 😂

Well Im absolutely over the moon to say last night I reached my target of 52 books for the year. I looked on the Kindle insights and last year read 2. So this is a huge achievement for me. I spent so long in the pandemic doom scrolling. Was such an unproductive waste of time that really impacted my mental health.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Thread 5! 📚📖

the previous 4000 (plus) comments.....
(where we all encourage and enable reckless spending via the amazon kindle website. 😆🤣😂)
can be found under the tag!
be warned 😂 it will cost you.

• Haha

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Sorry to be nosy but do they not allow printed books into where you are? I just thought it sounds incredibly isolating and wondered if this applied to other patients too. And I'm sorry to hear you're still stuck there too.
Oh they do allow actual books, I have a little pile of books on my shelf. I was basically paralysed from the neck down and have so far only regained the use of my thumbs, but they are really weak. I just can't hold an actual book or turn the pages. I don't really like the Kindle but am thrilled to be able to use it so I can read!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Maybe a good palate cleanser?
I don’t have a problem, it’s fine, it’s totally under control, totally. 😐
I really don’t have a problem it’s not like I can’t go without the Christmas books, it’s not a problem…STOP SHOUTING AT ME I’M FINE OK I JUST NEED ONE MORE VILLAGE CHRISTMAS WITH A VET/SNOWSTORM/JADED FEMALE LEAD JUST ONE MORE. 😂

Christmas hugs with tinsel ☹ And maybe a stray dog who needs a home, or an angry single male who owns a castle….

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Geranium

VIP Member
Id be lost without the library now!!!!
I can only say again how much I love it when you talk about using libraries. They are under constant threat in England and their funding decreases every year. This year senior managers questioned if we actually needed a book fund to buy new books or could we source them “elsewhere “! Every time you use your library service you support it, thank you on behalf of library staff!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

slugella

VIP Member
99p books will be the death of me.
i draw the line at paying 8 quid for a book, then buy twenty seven at 99p a pop and come on here, find a book that’s been mentioned, by that as well and store the rest in my TBR 🙈

and no, I absolutely did not read another Christmas book,
I don’t know where you got that from but you’re a liar 😐
I have to admit, stick a turkey or Christmas tree in a storyline and I tend to overlook how god awful the book actually is.
I'm a sucker for a bit of garland to cover up a woeful plot.

exactly how many castles are there in Scotland and the U.K. and why are the handsome owners always single........sitting ready for the damaged woman/single mum that they’ll wife up.

I’ve just realised we’ll have this thread at CHRISTMAS!!!!
book gifts, gift suggestions, post Christmas/new year reads 🥰😃😍
I don't normally read Christmas books but now from your posts I feel like i've been missing out 😂 so the other day I bought Always in December by Emily Stone. Feeling down in the dumps today so might wrap up in a blanket and read it now 🎄🤶

I'm more influenced by this thread than any influencer I've ever followed... amazon, waterstones, where are our sponsorships?! 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

Geranium

VIP Member
I’ve got myself into the unfortunate situation of having NO books to read 😱 on the look out for something easy and Christmassy. Slight change to the usual crime, heavy going novels.
Oh no, I hope you find something good soon!

I’ve had an emotional week (family bereavement) so I’m re-reading Jane Eyre - classic comfort reading.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12

americandirt16

Currently visiting my grandparents in Europe and am only here for 7 days. I was about 2 chapters in to Pop Song by Larissa Pham when I left but finished it within 2 days (I did read the majority of it all throughout my flight). I’d also brought Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens which I’ve just finished. It was a great book, however I am a little miffed by the ending. I have The Dangers of Smoking in Bed by Mariana Enriquez waiting at home, which I’m looking forward to reading. It’s gonna be a long flight home without a book. Maybe I’ll ask my gran if I can pinch one of hers.

ETA: hello! I’m new to this thread. Have loved looking through all the suggestions here, my reading list has most definitely expanded!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12

Marylou

VIP Member
Never mind the instahuns, you guys have influenced me to buy more books than I currently have time to read 😅 I've just downloaded A Man Called Ove since it was such a good deal and all 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11