Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bad reading month for me last month, only read 4 books- I wasn't expecting N K Jemisin to put me in such a reading slump but I just did not want to read anything else after her Fifth Season series. May have to up my rating from 4 to 5 for that whole series considering it's not left me and I finished it at the beginning of the month.

Reactions: 4
Given that I haven't even touched the two amazon first reads of last month, I think I might sit this month out!

I feel (and this is a very rare feeling indeed for us booklovers 😅 ) satisfied with my massive physical and kindle TBR list, so I'll listen to my sense of reason and just work through my owned books for now! But don't worry, I'll likely be back to my fiendish book hoarding ways in like 2 days:m

Still reading Dracula, just over half way through and loving it, and as I prefer to try to with a classic, I'm taking my time. Also only a couple chapters into Just One Damned Thing After Another, so it may be too soon to say, but I am already enjoying it and will tuck in to a bit more now before I go to sleep!

Reactions: 8
Its such a good read. Wonder if we'l ever get his next book 😂

Well Im absolutely over the moon to say last night I reached my target of 52 books for the year. I looked on the Kindle insights and last year read 2. So this is a huge achievement for me. I spent so long in the pandemic doom scrolling. Was such an unproductive waste of time that really impacted my mental health.
Oh well done! Its been the same for me, I’m reading so much more and doom scrolling less this year, which in turn has improved my mental health!

How does everyone track their reading? A notebook? Good reads? Spreadsheet? I don’t do anything but I would love to know and look back on how many books I read, the split of genres, word count etc

Given that I haven't even touched the two amazon first reads of last month, I think I might sit this month out!

I feel (and this is a very rare feeling indeed for us booklovers 😅 ) satisfied with my massive physical and kindle TBR list, so I'll listen to my sense of reason and just work through my owned books for now! But don't worry, I'll likely be back to my fiendish book hoarding ways in like 2 days:m

Still reading Dracula, just over half way through and loving it, and as I prefer to try to with a classic, I'm taking my time. Also only a couple chapters into Just One Damned Thing After Another, so it may be too soon to say, but I am already enjoying it and will tuck in to a bit more now before I go to sleep!
Nah just select one and then when you’re ready to read it, do it! They don’t hide them if you read them

Reactions: 2
Oh well done! Its been the same for me, I’m reading so much more and doom scrolling less this year, which in turn has improved my mental health!

How does everyone track their reading? A notebook? Good reads? Spreadsheet? I don’t do anything but I would love to know and look back on how many books I read, the split of genres, word count etc
I don't do anything fancy. I just have a page at the end of my yearly planner where I write them all down. But I know people can get very fancy and decorative to make it into whatever they want. I think most people track on good reads but I've never really got into it.
This is my first year tracking my reading and I'm blown away by how many books I've gone through so it definitely has been worth tracking.

Reactions: 3

I track everything on goodreads! I find it super easy to track my reading there and save books that I want to buy/read/research in my 'want to read'. I also participate in the reading challenge every year, where you can select the amount of books you want to read for that year. At the end of the year you can easily see how many books you read, the amount of pages and all the ratings you gave! On goodreads I only give star ratings, no reviews.

And then on my instagram I have a highlight with books (which my friends who don't have goodreads requested haha) and I post stories with a small review/what the book is about

I'm thinking for 2022 I'll pick up my reading journal again. I used to track what I read and write a short summary and the important quotes so I can actually remember what the book is about 😅

I use Goodreads, but most of my 'friends' on there have moved to Storygraph. I am a creature of habit though so will stick with Goodreads.

I like Goodreads because it syncs v with my Kindle and since being in hospital I can only use that.

I blame you lot entirely for being stuck in a Christmas chick lit hole I can’t climb out of

• Haha
Reactions: 9

I use Good Reads. Its quick and easy to use and you can link to your kindle / kindle app. Like marjan said I also put want to reads on there too.

The only thing with good reads is that it doesnt track any re-reads.

I also dont read reviews on there as I found I seem to have very different likes and dislikes to almost all the reviews.

I’m another one who tracks through Good Reads. I sometimes come across books I’ve read before I started tracking and think ‘hmm this is familiar’ the whole way through so it puts a stop to that 😂

I also do the yearly challenge. My target this year is 100 books and I’m currently on number 94!

Reactions: 5
I don't track properly but the Kindle app on the phone has a "reading insights" bit that tells you how many you have read and tracks how many days, weeks etc. it syncs with the Kindle (I don't use the phone for reading unless in an emergency!) then I just try and remember to mentally add in how many real books i've read.

I just use a notebook. I find it satisfying writing it down. I aim to read 100 books a year but I’m on well over 160 this year largely due to this thread!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I use Good Reads. Its quick and easy to use and you can link to your kindle / kindle app. Like marjan said I also put want to reads on there too.

The only thing with good reads is that it doesnt track any re-reads.

I also dont read reviews on there as I found I seem to have very different likes and dislikes to almost all the reviews.
I think you actually can add re-reads! If you go to one of the books you have read, you see 'my activity' and if you click on edit you can add dates. You just can't log it like usual and track the progress for the book again, I think you can only add more dates 🤷‍♀️

I just use a notebook. I find it satisfying writing it down. I aim to read 100 books a year but I’m on well over 160 this year largely due to this thread!
I’m glad someone else has read the same volume of books as me because when I tell people I wonder if I’m far too ahead of most people 😂😂

Reactions: 5
I’m glad someone else has read the same volume of books as me because when I tell people I wonder if I’m far too ahead of most people 😂😂
I’m a quick reader and I read every day. My husband and I like to read while we eat and before we go to sleep, so we have a lot of reading time scheduled into our day. I’m sometimes a bit hesitant to share how much and how fast I read in case it looks like I’m showing off but this is such a nice, safe thread I thought I’d risk it 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am reading my 242nd book of the year. Which is way above usual for me but I have spent 4 months (so far) in hospital in bed, the Kindle says "Typical time to read 5 hrs 22 minutes" and that is one day in bed. I have read a book a day most days since being here. Thank goodness for the Kindle!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
If youve got the time to do it, why not? I do try and read even 1 chapter every night before bed but sometimes Im just too tired.

My OH doesnt read at all so our down time together is usually spent watching TV. We dont manage to sit down til 8pm so usually at most we can watch 3 episodes of something but now we are doing Game Of Thrones its usually only 2. I do get up early though and now Im WFH and no commute I can read a bit in the AM before the kids get up.

Reactions: 7
I think you actually can add re-reads! If you go to one of the books you have read, you see 'my activity' and if you click on edit you can add dates. You just can't log it like usual and track the progress for the book again, I think you can only add more dates 🤷‍♀️
You can move the book from read to currently reading and then update progress and mark as finished and it will do the dates for you as normal. I reread the Harry Potter books every year and I want them to count for my reading challenge and year in books, and this works 😊

Reactions: 2
I'm not a fan of science fiction or anything spacy but reading Mickey7 at the moment. For some reason the description really caught my attention.
And I have to admit I am loving it. See below the desription, honestly when it's published do yourself a favour and read it:

Mickey7 is an Expendable: a disposable employee on a human expedition sent to colonize the ice world Niflheim. Whenever there’s a mission that’s too dangerous—even suicidal— the crew turns to Mickey. After one iteration dies, a new body is regenerated with most of his memories intact. Mickey signed on to escape from both bad debts and boredom on Midgard.

After six deaths, Mickey7 understands the terms of his deal…and why it was the only colonial position unfilled when he took it.

When he goes missing and is presumed dead at the hands of deadly indigenous creatures, Mickey8 reports for duty, and their troubles really begin.

Thank you everyone for sharing your tracking methods! I think a notebook/page in my diary (planner) will be the way to go. That way I can add the info from my 'Kindle Insights' (thanks for the reminder this existed @Cheddar Chalpupa!) plus the physical books.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.