Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just finished 'All Her Fault' really enjoyed it. The ending was nice and twisty!

Reactions: 6
Borrowed The Duchess by Wendy Holden from the library, after loving The Governess. Excited to get into it this weekend, might pop on an episode of The Crown and then get started.

Also been reading The Lonely Londoners by Sam Selvon, which has been great, but I just hit a 10 page run-on no-punctuation sentence, and I really don't like sections like that. I do love that it's written in patois, but it had punctuation everywhere except this one section and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the reason why I didn't just finish it yesterday

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I noticed one of my wish list books were 99p so that’s been added to the TBR pile 😵💫
We were never here - Andrea Bartz for anyone else interested.

I really really want to try to avoid buying anymore but I don’t think I’m strong enough to avoid it! I have my physical TBR pile I haven’t touched since buying my kindle in Feb.

I started a new book today from the Amazon prime selection. I’m still to pick my first reads but I think it will be along the lines of everyone else’s choices.

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have real comfort books they re read and re read, I’m re reading twilight at the moment (which is a struggle as damn it’s not well written at all but it’s also enjoyable as it’s total fluff in my opinion) but I find it calming, same with the princess’ diaries books, Harry Potter, hitchhikers guide, noughts and crosses and a few others. That like rewatching tv shows, like - Star Trek, that I watched a lot growing up, Really just help when I’m feeling overwhelmed. Maybe it’s because I know what’s going to happen and they remind me of being younger and carefree (and not having to pay rent and bills😂). And it does get my numbers up on goodreads

My mum sort of understands but my partner and friends aren’t mean about it but always just seem amused and confused when I reread something for the 5th time.

I would like to point out I do limit myself to at least a year between re reading each book or series. So I’m not just in a constant loop.

Reactions: 9
Does anyone have real comfort books they re read and re read, I’m re reading twilight at the moment (which is a struggle as damn it’s not well written at all but it’s also enjoyable as it’s total fluff in my opinion) but I find it calming, same with the princess’ diaries books, Harry Potter, hitchhikers guide, noughts and crosses and a few others. That like rewatching tv shows, like - Star Trek, that I watched a lot growing up, Really just help when I’m feeling overwhelmed. Maybe it’s because I know what’s going to happen and they remind me of being younger and carefree (and not having to pay rent and bills😂). And it does get my numbers up on goodreads

My mum sort of understands but my partner and friends aren’t mean about it but always just seem amused and confused when I reread something for the 5th time.

I would like to point out I do limit myself to at least a year between re reading each book or series. So I’m not just in a constant loop.
Totally get this and I am the same. Xx

Reactions: 2
Finished the Guest List by Lucy Foley this morning!!

I enjoyed it so was pleasantly surprised after the mixed reviews here :)

Reactions: 4

I agree that I find rereading certain books calming. I'm the same with tv shows and films.

I haven't re-read the Twilight series. I remember being so excited for breaking dawn to come out in high school and staying up super late to finish it. I might give them a reread now you mentioned it 😂 same with the final Harry Potter I even went to the midnight selling to buy it and spent the whole day reading it. :LOL:I have re-read Harry Potter a few times, a very comforting read. And I loved the Princess Diaries series too.

I LOVED the Roswell High series by Melinda Metz in high school too and re read those loads. Maybe I will revisit those too :ROFLMAO:

What genre does everyone like best? I love historical fiction, and also like a comforting rom com book. I want to branch out more into fantasy and sci fi. Some of the series I liked in school were sci fi and fantasy but haven't really read any adult books in those genres.

Reactions: 3
I agree that I find rereading certain books calming. I'm the same with tv shows and films.

I haven't re-read the Twilight series. I remember being so excited for breaking dawn to come out in high school and staying up super late to finish it. I might give them a reread now you mentioned it 😂 same with the final Harry Potter I even went to the midnight selling to buy it and spent the whole day reading it. :LOL:I have re-read Harry Potter a few times, a very comforting read. And I loved the Princess Diaries series too.

I LOVED the Roswell High series by Melinda Metz in high school too and re read those loads. Maybe I will revisit those too :ROFLMAO:

What genre does everyone like best? I love historical fiction, and also like a comforting rom com book. I want to branch out more into fantasy and sci fi. Some of the series I liked in school were sci fi and fantasy but haven't really read any adult books in those genres.
Same life was so much simpler then, I remember staying up and going into central to get the final twilight and Harry Potter and reading them on the tube straight away. Only reading twilight because I saw loads of tik Toks on the books with details I didn’t remember
My favourites sci fi and crime. Love fantasies as well and agree with the adult fiction aspect, I love YA to a point but sometimes I don’t want to read about teenagers and from teenagers/YA point of view

I started Beach Read and initially liked it...but I just can not get through it. It just seems like a really long pointless story.

📢 Enabling alert 😂 .. You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane is 99p for Kindle at the moment - it's one of my favourites of hers. 😊

So is The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang, that was a good read too.

I re-read some of my old children's books last year when I found them in the loft. I don't think I've ever re-read books apart from kids books. Although I think I'll re-read A Little Life at some point.

I found The Demon Headmaster by Gillian Cross, the collection of Children's Ward books by Helen White, and my all-time favourite is a little known book by Helen Cresswell called The Watchers, which is magical realism/fantasy set at Alton Towers.

I started Beach Read and initially liked it...but I just can not get through it. It just seems like a really long pointless story.
On no! I loved it but if you're not enjoying, definitely put it down and pick up something new. What's next on your tbr?

Totally get this, i am the exact same. Every year i re-read The Women of The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, re-watch the same tv shows and movies. When i'm feeling anxious or just need a pick me up, i do always reach for my home comforts xx

• Heart
I do this too, the Harry Potter books and the True Blood series are my go-to comfort reads.

When I was growing up I used to love the Sweet Valley High books, The Babysitters Club books and The Saddle Club books 😂 I would love to re-read some of those now!

Reactions: 6
I read the Harry Potter books usually every year. Depending on my mood I actually read them, or listen to the audiobooks by Stephen Fry 😍

I loved Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson books growing up, wonder what I would make of them now

Reactions: 5
I read the Harry Potter books usually every year. Depending on my mood I actually read them, or listen to the audiobooks by Stephen Fry 😍

I loved Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson books growing up, wonder what I would make of them now
I loved Jacqueline Wilson too. I only read the Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton but loved that.

I loved Jacqueline Wilson too. I only read the Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton but loved that.
I liked them! I heard they did a bbc series of it not long ago but I didn’t watch it.
I loved most of the Enid Blyton books. Faraway Tree, Dreadful Children, Secret Seven, Famous Five.

• Heart
I do this too, the Harry Potter books and the True Blood series are my go-to comfort reads.

When I was growing up I used to love the Sweet Valley High books, The Babysitters Club books and The Saddle Club books 😂 I would love to re-read some of those now!
I loved the babysittersclub when I was young. A while ago I bought a couple of the graphic novels and really enjoyed them. I also like the netflix series😄

I loved the babysittersclub when I was young. A while ago I bought a couple of the graphic novels and really enjoyed them. I also like the netflix series😄
I liked it too! Fully expected to hate it 😂 I think they’re bringing out a second series soon

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.