Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I started Beartown last night and wow Im drawn in right away. I didnt expect it as reviews Ive seen say its a slow burner.

Why do I need to work for a living? Oh thats right to afford all these books.

Im also reading Duck Feet but its an actual book and I never pick them up as easily as the kindle sadly.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10

GoofyPrincess

Chatty Member
So I read another Christmas book today 😳 - Christmas Lights and Snowball Fights by Beth Rain. This one was much more festive - a cute village, country pub, tree lighting ceremony, carol service, snowball flight, sleigh ride and of course a typical cheesy romantic storyline.

Would recommend if you’re looking for a festive, feel good, quick and easy read.

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
I tend to get quite bad insomnia from time to time and it's rearing it's head again. I've been browsing Tik Tok on my phone but I think I might swap that for reading my Kindle. Trouble is I have been reading so many "real" books lately that I can't remember where I've put it 😳 So the job for today and tomorrow (baby depending) is to track it down in preparation for the current lack of sleep doing on 🙄 No point really to this post but thought you lads might understand!

To keep it on topic, it's OH's birthday so I bought him the new Dave Grohl book which he's very excited about. I'm also very excited because that purchase bumped up my Waterstones points. I now have £10 worth of credit 🙌

• Heart

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
I’m reading Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers at the minute.

It’s set in the late 50s and tells the story of a woman who claims to have had a virgin birth, and the journalist out to prove (or otherwise) the story.

It was longlisted for The Women’s Prize for Fiction earlier this year (I actually enjoyed it far more than the eventual winner).

Reactions: 9

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
Too hard to pick a fave book of all time, three that I've loved and recommended to others are:

The Hearts Invisible Furies
I Am Pilgrim
A Thousand Splendid Suns

Just finished Claire Mackintosh - Hostage - very good book, i didnt see the ending coming.

Note, in case anyone notices I've finished 2 books in as many days - i'm on my holidays! For any typos, i'm gonna blame the spanish sun!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Currently reading Fake Law by The Secret Barrister. It's really interesting but I think it's reminding me too much of uni, plus I'm highlighting any bits I find relevant to my studies in case I decide to reference them later so. They do a wonderful job of explaining the basic concepts of the laws they're talking about, and why/how this fake mass-hysteria catches on around certain stories

Because that's a bit of a slog I'm also rotating in The Dennis Nilsen Tapes by Michael Morley. I'm only a few pages in but it seems that it'll be a good book! May watch that Netflix documentary after too
I got this from the library!

Well, while we’re confessing to stuff, I read PTWM’s “fiction” the other week. It wasn’t even free 😕 but it was 99p and I was intrigued, okay?!

P.S - it was shit.
thank you for the support 😂😂 I feel less judged and dirty 😂

speaking of the library, big big fan of late, you all know that, but…..

BE63DF85-A02D-49D4-88A0-9A8D42D9F5C7.jpeg

I think I’m busy that month.. 🙄

Last edited:
  • Haha

HoGi

VIP Member
What does everyone prefer? Long or short chapters? Or not bothered?
Much prefer short chapters. Like another poster I think, just one more and then if it is only a few pages I will read another and another.

I think it makes a faster tempo read

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I have a confession and I need to get it out there,

last week I read…. The new book by Laura Jane Williams 😐 an… an influencer 🙈

her first book was tragic, no apologies it was like a Zoe Sugg “influencer book” 😒

I didn’t hate the lucky escape, it wasn’t great, but it was free and it wasn’t bad 😬 I feel better getting that off my chest 😂

• Haha

Seven of Nine

Does anyone have real comfort books they re read and re read, I’m re reading twilight at the moment (which is a struggle as damn it’s not well written at all but it’s also enjoyable as it’s total fluff in my opinion) but I find it calming, same with the princess’ diaries books, Harry Potter, hitchhikers guide, noughts and crosses and a few others. That like rewatching tv shows, like - Star Trek, that I watched a lot growing up, Really just help when I’m feeling overwhelmed. Maybe it’s because I know what’s going to happen and they remind me of being younger and carefree (and not having to pay rent and bills😂). And it does get my numbers up on goodreads

My mum sort of understands but my partner and friends aren’t mean about it but always just seem amused and confused when I reread something for the 5th time.

I would like to point out I do limit myself to at least a year between re reading each book or series. So I’m not just in a constant loop.

DietGossip

VIP Member
30 books in 30 days for my "self care September" took a dip yesterday, but I'm blaming getting my second covid jab. Will catch up today!

• Wow
  • Heart

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
Another library lover here too! I’ve been ordering and holding books from them which costs £1 per book….so far I’ve had 14 holds but that is still a lot cheaper than buying the books on kindle!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Has anyone read the new Sally Rooney yet? I am interested to see how it compares to her other two books.
I thought about it,
but I really didn’t have much love for her other 2 books, and although I do plan to read it eventually I’m not paying full price for it 😂

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I am supposed to be temporarily banned from buying more books, but it is Bookshop Day and i couldn't help myself, have placed an a whooping Berts Books order. I have ordered
No Honour by Awais Khan
After the End by Clare Mackintosh
This Is How We Are Human by Louise Beech
The Lamplighters by Emma Stonex
Circus of Wonders by Elizabeth Macneal
Take Nothing With You by Patrick Gale
Rainbow Milk by Paul Mendez
Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon (only got this as the cover looks like Battenburg cake 🤪)

and now I must stop buying books.

• Heart

mindlessness

VIP Member
I’m in Australia, and don’t get charged for any library service. My library has even been doing free book delivery during the lockdowns to vulnerable or less mobile patrons 😭 so sweet. Plus a click and collect service.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Guys... I'm mega confused and I was hoping someone might be able help me... Why do Evelyns seem to keep getting sevens of things?! Seven husbands, and then I've seen seven deaths, but I've also weirdly seen seven and a half deaths too, and at this point I feel like I'm hallucinating in the library. What is going on, is there any one who can help me feel a little less discombobulated in the contemporary fiction section, because I genuinely don't understand why there seem to be 3 (or more, who know at this point) Evelyns getting seven things....
We will soon discover that Snow White's real name is actually Evelyn.

• Haha

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Im in a slump. Having a crap time at work atm and just not finding time to read as Im drinking too much in the evening and scrolling Tik Tok.😂

Still reading Beartown and I am loving it. Usually Id be devouring it but Im not.

Im off work next week so hoping for some relaxing reading time.

• Heart