Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

applesandoranges

Hey I’m new to the book thread! I’ve enjoyed reading all of your posts and excited to read some of your recs.
I’m relatively new to reading for fun, I started a year ago due to various lockdowns, reading about 30 books last year. Currently at 31 books for this year and still loving it!
I just finished read The Book Thief and absolutely loved it, had a good cry.
Some of my favourite books that I’ve read include The Song of Achilles and The Penelopiad. And I have enjoyed thrillers like American Psycho. This is just a post to say hey, and I’d love to hear more recommendations!
What are your favourite books of all time?

Reactions: 11

twilightgarden

VIP Member
It’s so nice that others here use the library. I’ve used mine for years and saved a fortune on books. The staff have got to know me too and recommend books.

• Heart

Seven of Nine

I really liked Crawdads, I thought it was a great kind of slow burner.

Didn't really like Normal People either, Maybe I'm old fashioned but the writing style bugged me, writing in the present tense with no quotation marks, not for me.

I liked the Guest List too, I liked the mix of characters (who were, in the main, a bit more likeable than the characters in The Hunting Party). I'll admit I got the whodunnit wrong, but I was happy with how it was handled. Really liked the character of Hannah. I was listening to it on audiobook and they had a real lovely "northern lass" type reading her chapters
I agree with the writing style it was the same with girl woman other, the new trend of lack of punctuation in books is just absolutely baffling to me. But where normal people just didn’t really interest me story wise at least girl woman other had some of the women’s stories that I loved - some not so much but I just find reading from the perspective of a teenager the most uninteresting and frustrati
Started a new book. As some of you know I was struggling with The Beekeeper of Aleppo and felt bad about not finishing it. But I’ve put it to the side and started The Dover Cafe at War and so far it’s really good. The front cover makes it look a bit simple but it’s really engaging.

You’re on goodreads! Do you have the same problem with the Russian sex bots following you and liking your reviews and ratings? I hardly post on there, only too keep a track on what I’ve read and I have 50 followers who love that I often give 3 stars to books 🤦‍♀️
Never feel bad about not finishing a book I firmly go by, 100 minus your age is the number of pages that if you aren’t into it put it down. There are exceptions if there’s a book people have told you it takes a while to get into or you really want to finish it.

Which can I say the idea of “oh yeah I hated it to begin with” “it really takes a while to get good” the weirdest thing that’s just accepted by people. It’s the same with tv shows. Why do we just accept that some things aren’t enjoyable for the first 1/4 or 1/2 and we just have to deal with it, in the chance we’ll like it later on.

nbt

VIP Member
Tempted to ask admin to automatically remove any posts that say “***** is only 99p on kindle” in order to save me from myself 😐

Just like an alcoholic would ask their friends to lock away the Bacardi Breezer before they go home.

(yes I did say Bacardi Breezer. 😐
the OG one obviously)
God, a 99p kindle book and a Bacardi breezer - what a bloody amazing combo that would be.

• Haha
  • Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I love how varied this thread is ☺
I’ve said it so many times I know I’m like a broken record, but I just can’t get on with the prize winner authors.
they always feel so pretentious to me and I know I need to be more open to reading more from that genre I just struggle to even attempt to do it. 😩

Reactions: 10

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
My morning trip to the library was successful. Picked up 7 books. 6 for me and 1 for OH. I've finished the first one - Convenience store woman. It was a quick read (163 pages) and was really good. I've had it on my wish list for over 2 years so really glad I picked it up.
I've done a quick look at the prices of the 14 books I've got from the library the last few weeks. If I purchased kindle it would've cost £72. Paperback would've been £102. That is a crazy amount saved!
Id be lost without the library now!!!!

Keet

Chatty Member
I’ve been to the charity shop this morning and bought 10 books . Should probably concentrate on my existing to be read pile next to the bed, oopsie

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
That’s my favourite light Christmas book. I want to go to Lapland so much!
Me too! I hadn’t really thought about it before as I don’t have children but I think I’d enjoy it nonetheless 😂 Especially the Ice Hotel!
You all know I love this conversation 😂 I have a real problem 😂
I loved that book as well! but my favourite authors for Christmas books are still Karen swan and Sarah Morgan, 2 that were released last year (that I loved!) where Sarah M and Milly Johnson.

**concern advertisement voice**
This is an urgent appeal to all authors,

Stop the “tilly has inherited a cottage/cafe/mansion/book shop” crap 😐

we don’t need another
- mischievous stray dog.
- Or a vet.
- Or a neighbour that has been hurt by love.
-‘Or a neighbour with a bad attitude who…. Has been hurt by love 🙄
- A widowed man with a kid. No.
- a village fare.

@Oohthedrama I’ve read The Heights and didn’t love it. Character weren’t likeable, plot was all over the place and it was like Groundhog Day in parts… usually really like her books too.
oh! Thank you, I’ll leave it on the TBR pile for a while then!
I don’t have much love for her 🙈 so I’m not in a hurry to read it when there’s a whole world of Christmas books to read in September 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

loobyscoobydoo

Me this morning: ooh no I shan't buy that kindle book it's too dear at £4.99

Me this afternoon: *spends £15 in oxfam books* 🤦‍♀️

Think I'm on a buy ban until December now...

• Heart

Sancrow

I sat down to read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles dickens,it opens with 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times',so I thought if he can't make his mind up what is the point of carrying on reading it.

• Haha

Milfordcubicle

VIP Member
I can totally get on board with a Christmas one especially if it contains
*broken heart/nasty break up
* bereaved love interest
* highly strung sibling who comes good
* some sort of daft inheritance
* falling over/ fainting/ needing a wee in shop/book shop/ cafe that happens to offer you job and/ accommodation immediately
* batty old lady/ curmudgeonly old farmer who “knows things” after all
* long lost ex
* narcissist mum

ahhhh maybe I should write it 😂😂😂

• Heart
  • Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
What have I started 😂😂

the book thread Christmas party.
Bacardi Breezers, Smirnoff ice in a pint glass (remember they tried to make this a thing in pubs 😂?)
A tunnocks tea cake, or a snowball 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Worth while having books on an amazon wishlist. I got an email to say they were giving me 40% off one of the items. It was Beartown so I finally bought it!

• Heart

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
@Custard cream Viruses don't live for long on paper. Current standard guidance is that books are isolated for at least 24 hours before they're handled by library staff and returned to the shelves. I appreciate your caution and, if you're being extra vigilant, you could isolate books at home before reading them. There's nothing organic on books for viruses to live on so anything traces die off pretty quickly.