Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

monga

VIP Member
I'm from the Republic and i'd have to really think about what way i would vote in a unity referendum.

My head says no (mainly from a financial point of view but I think there would need to be a plan that the UK would continue to part subsidise NI for a number of years). I think there would need to be so much work and debate done in advance on areas such as the public sector, NHS/healthcare, Education, policing etc. Even from a political point of view can you imagine the DUP sitting in the Dàil.

But my heart says Yes. But it is very easy for me to say as I am based as far away from the border as you can get. If I lived in a border county and had memories of the troubles my response might be different.

If unity were to happen I understand that we (the Republic) can't just asbsorb NI without making some concessions or changes but my vote would very much depend on what these are. The flag and our anthem I believe absolutely shouldnt change but I dont believe Irish should be a compulsory subject in NI if someone didnt want to learn it.

However, a friend of mine believes that NI should just follow everything we do in the event of unity so there are people out there that are a bit more gung ho.

I think the debate in the years running up to a referendum would be very interesting. Even the timing off it would be interesting. Who votes first? I assume NI. But imagine if the Republic then voted no.

We in the Republic love a good referendum...same sex marriage and abortion are the two biggest ones obviously in the last few years and both were pretty overwhelming majorities. NI seems slower to introduce change I believe same sex marriage was only introduced in 2020 and Westminster had to intervene to ensure abortion services were made available recently. I know we have written in to our constitution that any change needs to be voted for by way of referendum which correct me if I am wrong but NI doesnt have this so thr likes of the DUP were able to veto the same sex marriage bill. I wonder if NI had a chance to vote on these issues how they woukd have voted.
That’s down to the Unionist’s holding back I think you’ll find nationalists are very supportive of these issues, the reason the north can’t progress on the work front is down to the British Gov unable to attract investment through Brexit, they’re a noose…The Irish governments open door policy is putting more at risk of terrorism than anything the provisionals ever carried out.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
@Wee Nora my profile pic is of Chris giles, who is some sort of top editor of the Financial Times. Changed my pic to him after the Jack monroe threads. It’s too long to explain but in between her massive snow storms she tried to aggressively bully him on twitter as apparently she knows more about the economy than someone who has years long reputation. He’s my guilty pleasure, even more than finucaine

• Haha

Wee Nora

VIP Member
UUP spokesman on radio beating around the bush its not wanted in the area. 500 members across 10 teams in that area and no pitch apparently?
Bottom line no tolerance.
---
A case of feeling threatened after the elections? I don’t know. Anyone watch View from Stormont last night? Very interesting. They focused on the massive SF gains and how they managed to get 65% turnout from disadvantaged places like the Short Strand while unionist parties only managed 35% in disadvantaged areas. Basically they’re saying SF’s message of positivity, working together, working for all etc resonates with people while the DUP’s campaign has based itself on “vote for us or else this will happen” negativity and it’s a turn off for people. Your crush Buckley was on Mavis 😂

• Haha

BigMavis

VIP Member
The tribunal case is a PR stunt on Brysons behalf, he's a first class attention seeker and is using loyalism to get it, he's also a classic example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Many unionists big and small U realise exactly what he is and they're horrified. Jamie doesn't care about the union so long as all eyes are on him.

Think the man will have opportunity to appeal because his legal rep was beyond incompetent. Jamie has publicly stated he has a law degree and uses socials to promote his comings and goings to court including the high court, that is advertising his legal services. If nothing else comes of this at least its highlighted how unfit he is and casts more doubt on his professional qualification claims.
Of course Jamies response to all this is victimisation, he's being attacked, its trolling, Irish news have an agenda. Bore off!

The only victim in this situation is Michaela and her family who have been put through further trauma by Brysons antics. It is shameful! It's also justified by people who hate the Irish, the GAA, Catholics. If that is you and you're reading this, please seek help.

This happened at the centenary for this shit hole, I don't have to say anymore do I.

• Heart

Wee Nora

VIP Member
My heart would 10000000% say a big massive YES to a border poll.
My head (esp after the disaster that was brexit) would be a bit more cautious, I'd want to see figures/plans of some description.
I do agree with @monga that it couldn't get any worse than it is now (i think no matter what we will be in for a roughfew years financially but that will be a global problem) , but God know what way loyalists would act out.
ROI have billions in surplus cash, by 2026 their projected surplus is 20billion. In comparison we’re going to London begging for the basics. Paisley said last night the only reason we’re not paying water charges is because our water treatment plants are substandard and it’ll take over £1billion to get them up to the standard of the rest of the UK. I’m taking that to mean that our drinking water isn’t safe. Then as an extension of that we have an NHS that’s beyond repair IMO.
I used to think I’d vote with my heart in a border poll but now my heart and head align. This place doesn’t work and I can’t think of a single reason why I’d vote to remain anymore.

• Heart

BANRÍON

Oh my god that video of that poor child in the south has me sick to my stomach. The school are sweeping it under the rug and Garda advised their family that they had more important things to tend to - until public pressure has been put on them to investigate it and bring justice. Sometimes I am very thankful for social media and the power it can bring in situations like this.

• Wow
  • Angry

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
I feel bad for Doug too. Unionism needs a voice, a much more liberal voice. It’s unfortunate the DUP haven’t been punished more. It blows my mind that people vote for them but in my area it appears people have voted for the candidate, not necessarily the party. People in this country annoy the f**k out of me 😩

Lovecrisps

Chatty Member
Has anyone discussed these competitions pages? Would question how legit they are
Like McKinney competitions? I saw Tiffany Brien's husband who is an Ulster rugby player won a house recently (or £150k cash alternative) - like those two need a house. Seems v weird that rich people would've even entered the competition let alone won it. What are the chances?!

Attachments

• Wow

Wee Nora

VIP Member
I'm certain he had something to do with NAMA as well but I didn't pay much attention to it. He's one of the most attention seeking idiots about this place, that's really what it boils down to. I don't think he'd die for his beliefs, he's only piggybacking on hate to gain attention for himself.
I think he demonstrated he wouldn’t die for his beliefs when he broke his hunger strike after 6 hours 🤣 Jamie could never kick it with us Trócaire fast fenians 💪 🤣

• Haha

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Justice !
---
PR stunt.,.As plain as the nose on your face!

---
An appeal 🙄 he should be burying his head somewhere.

---
Allowed to rape and murder children because they worked for the state

---
Forgetting they have the EU and US backers more than can be said for the UK 😂 do unionists think the UK is a self sufficient stand alone country? They don’t seem to be able to see beyond the Union Jack 🇬🇧
So that vile excuse for a human didn’t even bother his arse writing the letter like he said he would? Bryson and his shit filled statements 🤮

Justherefortittle

VIP Member
Seriously, Jim’s speech. That’s not right. Something’s going on with him.

yeah because the loyalist unionist and state didn’t ma or murder anyone 😂

Someone hide his blood pressure meds … I want to see him explode completely live on Nolan some day soon 🤯

• Haha

sunflower81

Phillip Schofield is leaving this morning with immediate effect, can't wait for all the stories to start coming out now

• Heart

BigMavis

VIP Member
His details are all over twitter. He saves souls when he's not moonlighting for the UVF and pistol whipping passengers. Alleluia.
---
Statement from Brysons firm in 3..2...1...

• Haha
Reactions: 7