Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gentlemensrelish

Chatty Member
Right. I've been biting my tongue on this because she really is best ignored but....my sister works in food logistics. She is, honestly, the kindest, sweetest, most big hearted person - I'm talking cries at adverts softness. She did some of the earliest food packages for people shielding and it was a fucking nightmare. She was up until 3am working most days because the conditions placed on them (ambient products, can be made on a hob, suitable for vegetarians, low skill etc.) and the fact it isn't that easy to divert commercial food into households. What do you do? Send people a 25kg bag of pasta and let them get on with it?

In those first weeks, she worked so hard to just get people food. Maybe not the best food in the world, not the food of your dreams, but something to eat. And then they worked to improve them. She was in tears most days at the thought of kids and old people going hungry and the day she got pictures of people with their cereal and pasta and sauce she was also in tears.

This suggestion that this is just capitalist greed and not people just doing their best in difficult circumstances.....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 79
More love for the dress! It was really clever of JM to buy it knowing that one day she'd be 33lbs lighter for it to fit perfectly.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 79

spirals

Sorry off topic but I think I am being made redundant tomorrow 😫 We were told last week that there would be redundancies and I just received a meeting invite with head of department, my line manager and HR.
Yay.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 71

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
Here in Australia, they've brought out Mountain Dew flavoured Doritos 😝

Anyway, not food or Jack related, but there is a possum, looking rather bewildered, in my frangipani tree. I thought you might like it

20200619_082015.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 68

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Dear Jack, I found an old opal fruit in my pocket a couple of days ago. In these days of food wastage I am understandably loath to throw it away. Any ideas for a Carribbean inspired dish? The opal fruit is lime if that helps.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67

FlashBoof

VIP Member
I have been a follower and admirer of JM for years. I remember really relating to some of her poverty and deprivation stories and also feeling quite moved at times by her. I admired her stance against Hatie Kopkins.

I ignored the overly descriptive (and sometimes quite off putting use of weird words when describing foods) writing, putting it down to just finding her feet and style. I started to get a little disconcerted over time as she seemed to collect various labels and diagnoses but, again, ignored it to a degree. I didn’t/don’t believe she is an alcoholic...maybe she just binged a few times and didn’t like herself much afterwards. The number of ethnic/hereditary cultural backgrounds increased to a number that seemed a little strange but hey ho, some people probably do have 3-4 diverse grandparents. The confusion over sexuality and gender is almost a given, it seems nowadays in trendy circles.

I bought a couple of the Tin Can book for the food bank drive. I tried a couple of recipes from the internet and did find them disappointing enough to not want to buy a book myself but got behind the idea of supporting a resource that was needed in a time of rising prices, looming Brexit (and its economic impact), and a Conservative government that wants to ensure the poor stay poor (that awful documentary on C4 last year about food bank use nearly broke my heart).

Lately, I wondered if they had become ill and it has been blatantly obvious for some time that they were single again so I googled and found myself here a couple of nights ago.....and, well......wow. Talk about eye-opener.

I feel somewhat cheated. And also concerned for their welfare and sons welfare. And, I also feel a tad angry because they have used a huge platform that could do so much good and seems hell bent on turning into a car crash. It’s all become quite unseemly and verging on desperate. The free school meals thing on top of the JO rants and backtrack is a final straw for me.

That comment about working with the government to sort things out certainly does lend itself to being egotistical and tone deaf. Has it not occurred to Jack that as a top performing athlete with connections to sport and nutrition programmes unrivalled in many regards, along with the clout of a world renowned sporting brand, Marcus Rashford might have a bit more knowledge and clout on getting action on the situation? I would imagine he could put a team together with the involvement of his mum and absolutely knock it out of the park, both practically and promotionally.

I don’t think she is a bad person - far from it. I can’t get angry with her, as some do here. I think she is in need of some serious help and some guidance and maybe even some form of family support and parenting herself.

If, as some believe, Jack is reading this, I hope you get help. Growing up in a dysfunctional family (poor, deprived, working class family with little food, an alcoholic single parent on benefits and being the eldest so looking after the young ones - yes, I DO know what it’s like), well, it is a living hell. If you can’t do it for yourself, do it for the boy you love. Put the phone down and get help. Tonight.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 66

BeautifulTrauma

VIP Member
I’m more annoyed with the idiot who tagged her with what she would do with the stuff. Nobody cares.

As a side, she needs to get to fuck. I have never seen someone so self obsessed trying to push themselves into someone else’s great work.
Think about it Jack in your maverick deluded little brain - this food can be stored at room temperature at a push, it’s easy to make food for the time conscious. It has some nutrition. Families don’t have three Smeg’s and a freezer to store their wares, it’s the basics to get a child fed what they would’ve had for school dinners.

Thank god she’s nowhere near in charge of the packs, we’d have tinned peaches, horse spunk in a pot, anchovies in mayo and a really long letter about her and her life and how she suffered for a few months on food banks.

Finally, thank you to everyone who said I’d helped with the food bank stuff and what to donate. I love I’ve made a tiny bit of difference and buying non budget brands means the person is more humanised than constant value range food. And people using food banks love treats too! Remember, older folk love tinned rice pudding and tinned fruit salad. So those are new things I’ve learned to have lots of for pensioners.

• Heart
Reactions: 65

Yel

Chatty Member
Well I'm getting my question in now, I bought these to make rocky road. But I don't fancy making that recipe anymore and all the packets are opened. Not sure what to do with these ingredients!!?? What curry can I make Jack??

Easter-Rocky-Roads-Recipe-The-Ingredients.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61

HarderFaster

VIP Member
Become a VIP with my last rant. If there's one thing I can give Jack credit for it's that she's so full of shit I've become an überhausfrau.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
Constitution of an ox while simultaneously being the most sickly ailment- afflicted person on the planet. Wasn’t she allergic to garlic and onions for a while? Wailed to her apologetic doctor ‘but I’m a recipe writer’ in a hospital ward in the middle of the night ?
I remember that - and tinned tomatoes.

"But I'm a cookery writer!" I wailed piteously, like a cat that's just had its tail stood on by someone carrying a rucksack full of paint tins.

The doctor gave me a stern look. The kind of look that says "I have a blue tick on twitter" so I thought I better listen to her because those types of people are important and might be a member of the groucho club.

"No you're not" expostulated the medical blue-ticker

I gasped in an agony of regretful dismay. It was so bad I could feel my ovaries groaning in pain. The really bad sort of pain, that hurts a lot more than any pain you've ever been in.

"Wh-what do you MEAN?" I bravely and boldly stuttered. Despite all the hideous and horrible pain I was definitely feeling.

"I've read your crappy blog" the doctor spat viciously, literally tearing my insides open with her words of cruelty.

"and I wouldn't eat that crap if I was starving".

Etc etc etc

PS - if you have any spare potatoes, why not use them to make a delicious trifle?

• Haha
  • Heart

Marj24

VIP Member
Not sure if this is the time to post this but think it is relevant. Many years ago I was a stay at home mum with two boys, aged approximately 4 and 2. My husband was in a non managerial admin job, not greatly paid but more than many.

The day before my husband was paid I believed I had no food in the house. I did a stock take, I had flour, butter, a dried up end of cheddar, two bendy carrots, a few frozen peas, an onion, a large potato and one tin of baked beans.

I made pastry and then turned it in to cheesy vegetable pasties, served them with baked beans. That time I managed to wing it. Have had low level food hoarding tendencies since.

That was a near as I got to not being able to feed my children, others are not so lucky. I do believe though that some people could benefit from some cookery advice, my mum taught me to make pastry. Not everyone has that benefit.

What I don't believe, is it that JM is a saviour for anyone. For the record my older son, who sadly has not been around for more than 20 years was born a few days earlier than JM. I could write a really good book on cooking for a family on a budget. I am not marketable enough to get a deal.

• Heart
  • Sad

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
It isn’t even white centric, it’s middle class food angst centric - carbs are cheap and fill you up, that’s what you need when you’re broke.
I collect food via fare share for a homeless hostel and deliver crates of potatoes, bread, fruit etc each time it’s my turn on the rota.
I find the clap back against what people with money issues feed their kids asstounding.

'Oh they don't get any fruit and veg, all you feed them is pizza'
First off all produce goes off. You aren't going to spend £3 of food that might turn. Also, pizza is about 70p to £1. That is a meal.
I was in the thread about Marcus Rashford and I had to come out because people have great ideas about what low income people should be doing.
They should be cooking from scratch , they should be doing this and that.
Yes that is the ideal, but people are working all the hours JM claims just to break even. They don't have the time. The might not have the money to run the oven for long enough to do this. They might be disabled and can't do much more than use the microwave. It might be a child having to cook for themselves. There are so many variables and nuances she is just discounting.
Also to make tasty nutritious meals usually includes a little bit of bulk buying and bulk cooking. Many people are living week by week and don't have the capacity to do this outlay or store it. JM might make a supper for 40p, but that's per portion. Don't her sausages work out to be more than a pack of you know, sausages.

The parents that are cooking now are a product of ding culture. In the 80's and 90's convenience food was king. It was the height of 'A woman can have it all'. Many people just do not know how to cook or build a menu. They took home ec out of school so people haven't be learning the basics for a very, very long time. So there is an idea for a book and campaign. Teach this generation how to cook healthy, nutritious and cheap food. Not three can surprise.

The resurgence in food and foodies is really a mid 2000's thing. In cities outside London we got more small restaurants offering more than your standard chain fare. Programs like the naked chef brought food into the TV for the masses. Keith Floyd and Rick Stein are great but they were a bit niche. To love cooking and be into that scene wasn't as big as it is now. Chicken and chips, pasta and sauce, turkey twizzles were king. We also didn't have quite the understanding of nutrition. Fuck, remember them advertising the special K diet and those awful Ski yogurts.

In regards to the nutrition of the food, it's not great but it's not terrible. I'm my secondary school we had a fuel zone. I had a soggy chicken burger or a slice of pizza with that plastic cheese. These meals are more nutritious than this. Schools at the moment wont have the contacts for bulk buying. So this stuff will be coming from donations or tesco. My mum works for a charity and this is the type of stuff they are having to provide their users because it's easy to store, easy to cook and easy to eat.

There is no quick fix to feed these kids in the holidays. You could set up a canteen system but practicalities would probably only work for one or two meals on the menu a day. The children who are going to eat this probably don't have the most expansive of pallets. So the food here is probably the most like what they would eat regularly.

JM doesn't have the background in the social and economic issues that lead to this intervention being a necessity. Her experience is dated and really quite different that the problems most face. Like it or not she put herself in that position and seems out of sheer stubbornness kept herself there.

I really hope she is on it. As we've always said on these threads she has a platform, she could make change. However, I don't think we should take nutritional advice from someone who uses grated corned beef in a chilli.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 57