Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, not to be that annoying person who double comments but seeing as I've apparently now committed to keeping up with the ongoing thread AND my backlog... Think I spotted a couple of pages ago or maybe last thread but have Jack and Mrs J split up? If so I do feel for her, it's always awful to be going through a serious breakup and feeling like you have to keep going and not let anyone know how rotten you're feeling. There's been a couple of times in my life where I've had to take myself off to the loos at work to have a bit of a cry because the emotion is all too much, and that was with everyone around me being super supportive too. I hope she has someone she can lean on to help her
I went to a private school for part of my high school and the lunches were exactly the same, either sandwich (always cheap white bread) or a jacket potato, some kind of biscuits and (although most people didn’t take it ) fruit

Reactions: 7
The one thing she is very keen to do is let us know she’s feeling tit.
Does anyone recall the same histrionics when her last engagement ended? (Was it Allegra? Or the police officer? Bit foggy on the order of fiancés tbh)

I assume she’s probably deleted all the relevant tweets but it would be interesting to see if this is how she reacts to all break ups. Or is this the first time she’s been dumped and is overwhelmed with anger and self pity.

Reactions: 9
I would say that, thanks to the heat, Brassicas are bolting (running to flower and seed) early this year - this turns them more bitter and people don't want them to taste like that. Things like Rocket are also doing it - and bolted Rocket has got a punch that will bring tears to your eyes. I love the stronger flavours, but again, it's not supermarket friendly. And we're already at risk of blight and other fungal disease with it being warm and wet for days - losing potato crops would be a disaster even beyond my little crop out back.

To use frozen broccoli in a stir fry, I would just add it right at the end, hot from the microwave (but still bright green) and stir through to avoid the mush issue. Or serve it as a side - microwave, then flash it in a pan with Oyster Sauce or red bean chilli sauce (can't remember the name right now) from a jar.

Frozen veg is harder to get hold of than it used to be - I used to try and get big bags of single veg and more often than not, they were out of stock online and not stocked at all in the supermarkets, where burgers, nuggets and ready meals would be filling their space - even in Iceland, who of all, should have tons of it. Or painfully expensive 'mixes' of offcuts and trimmings were there instead. One of the easiest and quickest meals I could make was frozen cauli and a quick cheese sauce - and once upon a time, I would sometimes get a tub of cheese sauce rather than have to make it.

Mr Dragon is regularly coming back from work with meat that's been yellow stickered, though. That would be oversupply, as it's almost to the day how long it takes for a chicken to reach 'processing' (yes, slaughter) weight from the start of lockdown. Without the catering industry using vast amounts every day, that's an awful lot of surplus chickens. Thankfully, I've encouraged him away from buying ding dinners that fill up the freezer unnecessarily and fill it up with ingredients instead - but he is daft and puts entire packs in there, instead of separating portions out, and is reluctant to buy whole chickens or large pieces because of that.

Reactions: 7
Does anyone recall the same histrionics when her last engagement ended? (Was it Allegra? Or the police officer? Bit foggy on the order of fiancés tbh)

I assume she’s probably deleted all the relevant tweets but it would be interesting to see if this is how she reacts to all break ups. Or is this the first time she’s been dumped and is overwhelmed with anger and self pity.
EVEERYTHING with her is a dramatic pity party, it doesn’t matter if things are, at least on some level, going well she always has to add something negative that’s happening to her. Even when people compliment fotos of her she always adds something about her hair falling out/ living on 10 mins sleep a day/ some underlying health issue. I think we would struggle to find one single tweet which didn’t mention something negative

Reactions: 12
It’s the glorification of busy that gets me. I’m a secretary and it’s always the ones who are announcing to everyone how busy they are and oh gosh I’m so busyyyyyy that are the most ineffectual. Like mate, we are all busy. But they want the adulation of wow poor you, you work so hard and never take holidays or breaks. If you’re time poor - you need to evaluate your workload. Do you want to make a difference and feel like you have a vocation or is replying to tweets going to help you more?

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I’m on a well-being conference call right now, and meant to be doing breathing exercises. I’m obviously using this as prime Tattle catch up time. This is what we train for, folks.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I went to a private school for part of my high school and the lunches were exactly the same, either sandwich (always cheap white bread) or a jacket potato, some kind of biscuits and (although most people didn’t take it ) fruit
I went to private school, based mostly in very old buildings (we ate lunch in The Dungeon, though old age means I can't remember if that's just what we called it or the official name, we also had The Gallery and The Chapel and The Banqueting Hall, so The Dungeon seems like it might have been its real name), but when I was there it meant kitchen facilities were very limited so everyone brought their own lunch. I, and most of my friends (from all sorts of backgrounds) had lunches of sandwich (cheese, ham, tuna), crisps, piece of fruit, chocolate biscuit and a drink.

Once we got to sixth form and could go out for lunch we mostly had a plate of chips, coffee and several fags in a local cafe.

And to bring kids lunches up to present day, my teen is making her own lunch at the moment (our schedules do not match plus I am trying to get her to start taking some responsibility for feeding herself), and is living off toast, crossiants, crisps and the occasional piece of fruit when I point her in the direction of the fruit bowl during the day. It's not ideal, but frankly, there are only so many arguments I can have in one day and this isn't the hill I am prepared to die on at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I went to private school, based mostly in very old buildings (we ate lunch in The Dungeon, though old age means I can't remember if that's just what we called it or the official name, we also had The Gallery and The Chapel and The Banqueting Hall, so The Dungeon seems like it might have been its real name), but when I was there it meant kitchen facilities were very limited so everyone brought their own lunch. I, and most of my friends (from all sorts of backgrounds) had lunches of sandwich (cheese, ham, tuna), crisps, piece of fruit, chocolate biscuit and a drink.

Once we got to sixth form and could go out for lunch we mostly had a plate of chips, coffee and several fags in a local cafe.

And to bring kids lunches up to present day, my teen is making her own lunch at the moment (our schedules do not match plus I am trying to get her to start taking some responsibility for feeding herself), and is living off toast, crossiants, crisps and the occasional piece of fruit when I point her in the direction of the fruit bowl during the day. It's not ideal, but frankly, there are only so many arguments I can have in one day and this isn't the hill I am prepared to die on at the moment.
This! And we used to share the chips so we had more money for fags 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
This! And we used to share the chips so we had more money for fags 😂
Hah! Yes, us too. A plate of chips between 3 or 4 of us and one incredibly milky yet weirdly delicious coffee each. And we'd sit there for up to 2 hours. Frankly I'm amazed the owners allowed us to do that at lunchtime at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I bet she would. I just can't stand this from someone that has spent years peddling junk jumping on yet another bandwagon that she doesn't have any credentials for.

PSX_20200618_104221.jpg

PSX_20200618_104627.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Hah! Yes, us too. A plate of chips between 3 or 4 of us and one incredibly milky yet weirdly delicious coffee each. And we'd sit there for up to 2 hours. Frankly I'm amazed the owners allowed us to do that at lunchtime at all.
OMG were we at school together?! I feel very seen by this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9

The stuff I used to eat at school.
Chips and curry sauce.
Roll and lorne sausage, onions and chips and curry )all on the same roll)
Instant ramen
Rolls with tuna pasta
If I was being healthy it was a roll and chopped pork or corned beef and coleslaw.

We used to get £2.50 a day for lunch. I'd usually starve and save it up for MD2020 and fags.
These days kids are needing minimum a fiver for lunch. Rolls are about £2.20, then juice and crisps.
Up here the chinese take aways and dominos are open to try get the lunch trade, then there is greggs. That is an exorbanate amount of money.
My daughter goes to private school. In junior school, school lunches are compulsory (bar food allergies, practicing kosher etc. Then you can bring your own)
As the move into the senior school they are allowed to bring in their own. I do this is as my daughter is pescatarian and she was just eating chips. We have one of those little bento boxes with the sections. The majority of my food budget goes on bloody school lunches and school snacks. When you try move away from the tuna sandwich every day it can get expensive.

Reactions: 17
EVEERYTHING with her is a dramatic pity party, it doesn’t matter if things are, at least on some level, going well she always has to add something negative that’s happening to her. Even when people compliment fotos of her she always adds something about her hair falling out/ living on 10 mins sleep a day/ some underlying health issue. I think we would struggle to find one single tweet which didn’t mention something negative
Totally this! How can you inspire others when you make it look like such an effort? This is so apparent in everything she does:

releases a book about cooking when you feel low - posts about her extreme depression, anxiety and weight loss

advocates kindness and helping others - is completely inconsistent in manner and makes the simplest thing (posting a book) appear to be a mammoth effort

commits to BAME allyship - a couple of performative re-tweets and secret work we never hear about

fosters a reputation for eating cheaply and tastily - please see pictures of horse spunk pasta pie and slop for evidence

ethical and vegan beliefs - fast fashion, tinned meat and no discernible interest in sourcing, seasonality or welfare

Please feel free to add.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I bet she would. I just can't stand this from someone that has spent years peddling junk jumping on yet another bandwagon that she doesn't have any credentials for.

View attachment 157007
I think she’ll find they’re not maliciously outsourced, but due to cuts community charities are taking on the behemoth tasks and desperately working with supermarkets, food banks, catering companies and whoever they bloody can to try to feed kids in need.

Reactions: 10
I went to a state high school in Wales in the mid 00s - and let me tell you Jamie Oliver did not reach this part of the UK 😂I'd spend my dinner money on Malboro Lights too lol. But when we did use our dinner money we'd have often have three varieties of meals: chicken nuggets and chips, chinese chicken (chicken nuggets in sweet and sour sauce) and chicken curry (chicken nuggets in curry sauce). With jacket potatoes, beans and cheese to mix it up sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I work in a Girls' School. Lunch choices are roughly divided up into A Sandwich and a Drink, A Jacket Potato with Salad, A Danish Pastry/Cake or Something With Chips - obviously, yoghurts and fruit are available as well. High achieving students, relatively affluent - it's more important to the Head when EDs are a very real issue that they have access to whatever they are most likely to eat, not that they have to all have a fully cooked plate of meat based sludge daily. Lunchtimes are very rarely an hour long now, they're normally 40-50 minutes and clubs take up 30 of that, so quick to eat is a consideration for kids that wasn't there before.

Reactions: 14
I've Grunkad my way here again.

I'm so fucked off with the shaming of those food parcels. They're there to replace the 5 lunches the kids would be receiving if they were in school, it's not supposed to be a week of food ffs. There is nothing wrong with sandwich, fruit and a yoghurt. Or jacket, beans and cheese.
I actually think that sending the makings of sandwiches is the best option because
1) No cooking required
2) Kids can make them if the parent is unable
3) Quite a universally accepted food (although I know there are kids who won't eat sandwiches)
4) Easy to incorporate things you might already have at home (add a packet of crisps, some crudités, bowl of soup, etc)

Also, people are saying it's not enough food for older kids. It is. It's enough food for an adult for a week of lunches. As I've said before, in an ideal world it's not the lunches you'd choose for your kids. I would love mine to be eating a homemade soup filled with lovely veg, but this is the real world and there is a global pandemic. Those food parcels are an absolute God send to some families right now, and shaming them for needing what these arseholes are calling such basics is gross.

I don't believe for one moment she eats the shite she peddles. I think she has a really hate for food. All the other cooks and chefs you see you can see it just makes them happy and they absolutely love it. For Jack i don't get that opinion. It's as if she's making all this 'delicious' food for show.

I don't know guys. Ive had enough. I am just so completely fed up of all the bullshit.
THIS!!! When I watched Jamie Oliver's lockdown show, I really noticed how much he showcased the food he had made and couldn't wait to tuck in. Quite often it showed the family sitting down for dinner and he'd ask the kids if they were enjoying it. Even on the couple of shows he recorded in a studio before lockdown, he was eating the food with proper "Ohhhh yum".
As a complete contrast, when Jack makes any food on screen she doesn't talk about it, doesn't showcase it, seems disinterested, just plonks it down off camera. It's bizarre. I feel like Jamie makes food he loves, whereas Jack makes food with an attitude of proving she can overcome a challenge or something.
OT, has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks?
We eat so much broccoli (6 heads a week) and cauliflower (2 heads a week) and I feel really guilty about this now. Sorry! I haven't had any problems though, I get a weekly order and it's always there.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Completely off topic but broccoli (if you can get it) keeps well if you slice a bit of the stalk and keep it stood in a cu of water in the fridge. I learned this on Twitter when I found myself wit 3kg of the stuff I had ordered online in error...:rolleyes:🥦🥦🥦

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13

View attachment 157007
View attachment 157009
The last photo definitely looks very healthy. But there doesn't seem much to actually make a meal with apart from a couple of potatoes. Apart from the eggs and what looks like chicken at the top, where's the protein? Or carbs? If you have bread, what can you use to make a sandwich? The majority of it is fruit. You would still need to buy additional things to put with the veg to make a meal. Also, that is for 2 weeks.

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.