Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh she's so poor all she can afford to buy is cheap supermarket ramen and that's all she can eat🙄 my eyes rolled so hard they saw the back of my head. Please drop the poor narrative, it's getting ancient and worn out. Combine it with the THAT MAN drama earlier this year, that she's now trying to steal Rashford's thunder too, she has quite a lot going for her, in the wrong bleeping direction.
A8A92637-183A-4CC9-A7BB-A841B046BD97.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 14
The vouchers are dependent upon parents having internet access, strong speaking and written English/literacy (and computer, the system is absolutely tit) skills, knowing exactly what supermarket will let them book a delivery or will have enough in stock, travelling to said supermarkets and then being able to pay cash for what they've put on the belt in the very common event of the vouchers failing to be read by the supermarket system.

We use them because we've got a fairly affluent demographic, so have time to sort out the problems/swap them for gift cards and the like for the relatively small number that qualify. But for primaries with a high proportion of FSM, severe social deprivation and lack of access to the technology and, like it or not, a fair few parents who aren't able to choose to buy healthy food for their children, some schools choose to use the funding and the expertise of their catering manager plus the supply chain already in place to provide food, rather than a requirement to spend money to access the supermarkets.
Thank you, you have cleared up something else that has been puzzling me for a couple of weeks too. My sister is a support worker for ex homeless people and they have been receiving donations at the hostel of small boxes of foodstuffs from the council but they weren't the packs being delivered to vulnerable adults. Looking at some of the photos it is leftover school lunch packs.
They don't look great compared to the amount of produce you could get at Aldi for £15 but if parents can't access the vouchers they must be a lifeline

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I will assume the brace position as I have asked why its taken so long to notice the content of food parcels when one of the photos given as an example was tweeted by Delish on 4th May. I expect incoming vitriol on twitter.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
@MarmiteExtract

Sautéing the onions on a lower heat for longer, cooking the onions before adding the mince, and simmering the bolognese for longer on a lower heat to take away some of the acidity, and make it slightly sweeter.

Child had seconds and kept thanking me 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 22
She’s right, though. If, and only IF she’s got her facts straight. ***If***a private catering company is getting paid £25 to supply that little pile of food, then I have to agree that it’s a misappropriation of funds.

what have I become?!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
@MarmiteExtract

Sautéing the onions on a lower heat for longer, cooking the onions before adding the mince, and simmering the bolognese for longer on a lower heat to take away some of the acidity, and make it slightly sweeter.

Child had seconds and kept thanking me 😂
Bless ‘em for thanking you! That’s very sweet.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I don't know what to write lads. I am actually incensed with the way she is talking about these food packs. She was a food bank user. She goes on and on about the need to provide food that is fine at ambient temperatures. The schools have to think about storage. Parents might be on a meter so nit using a fridge. So a week loads of fresh meals in little tubs can't get stored properly. That's if they have a fridge. We have refugee families up here in horrific living conditions who don't have basic white goods.
Is she is so concerned get out there and do something. We have lots of organisations offering hot meals to the vulnerable. The local places of worship are doing great things. Our Gurdwara is working 24/7 creating nutritious veggie meals for the community. But it's usually just protein, a carb and some fruit.
Get off bleeping twitter and do something. I have literally posted about https://www.chefsinschools.org.uk/ 5 times. Stop lying in bed with big corporation and be the change you claim to be.

Nothing but a bleeping gobshite.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I dread to think what she’d come up with, there’s no use giving someone a 30 stage 4 hour recipe where they’ve got to separate bean juice from bean and use a meat tenderiser on a can of spam then cook for 4 hours to feed your child on £1.20, it’s about what is practical for a parent to do quickly for a child.

She’s also time and time again shown she has no understanding of situations that aren’t her own - there are kids in overcrowded housing or temporary accommodation with just a microwave, parents cooking for multiple kids, parents working in/out of home, etc etc etc.

I havent even got the energy to dissect her latest tit show of tweets.

All I have to say Jack if you're reading here....

• Haha
I'm getting progressively more and more annoyed with her. Even the most 'bland' looking one had enough staples to form substantial meals for about ten days if added to things already in a cupboard - and potatoes, rice, pasta and grains were the things you couldn't get in supermarkets, so they thought of exactly what was needed and got hold of it.

Reactions: 23
I don't know what to write lads. I am actually incensed with the way she is talking about these food packs. She was a food bank user. She goes on and on about the need to provide food that is fine at ambient temperatures. The schools have to think about storage. Parents might be on a meter so nit using a fridge. So a week loads of fresh meals in little tubs can't get stored properly. That's if they have a fridge. We have refugee families up here in horrific living conditions who don't have basic white goods.
Is she is so concerned get out there and do something. We have lots of organisations offering hot meals to the vulnerable. The local places of worship are doing great things. Our Gurdwara is working 24/7 creating nutritious veggie meals for the community. But it's usually just protein, a carb and some fruit.
Get off bleeping twitter and do something. I have literally posted about https://www.chefsinschools.org.uk/ 5 times. Stop lying in bed with big corporation and be the change you claim to be.

Nothing but a bleeping gobshite.
So glad you've mentioned Gurdwaras!!! The Sikh community are amazing in feeding people. Our local temple does food everyday during lockdown (am pretty sure they do all the time but they seem to have gone into overdrive at the mo x) Everyone is welcome, totally veggie and completely free.
Do you think JM will cotton on to this? no, not unless it gets 'trendy'

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Where I live in the north west there have been so many restaurants, charities and facebook groups who have collected and distributed food. Ive never seen so much kindness and generosity. Its been lovely. I think at the moment with the shops open most people now can shop for extras and make up meals with the food parcels through topping up with more ingredients.
A few weeks ago the price of fruit and veg was sky high but most supermarkets are doing really good deals. I am looking after a lovely old lady in my street who was desperate to go to M&S food hall (Id never shop there) so I took her last week and honestly even they had a range of budget fresh produce - it shocked me. At Tesco today they had so many offers on fresh produce I am wondering if there is now an oversupply.
Yes, there is an oversupply of fresh produce, because tinned of food that usually goes to restaurants, canteens, etc. isn't going there.

Btw, for any Aldi shoppers, right now they have strawberries of the Ania variety in stores. They are incredible. I'm sure they are the ones usually bought by good restaurants. None of that watery elsanta stuff.

Reactions: 20
So glad you've mentioned Gurdwaras!!! The Sikh community are amazing in feeding people. Our local temple does food everyday during lockdown (am pretty sure they do all the time but they seem to have gone into overdrive at the mo x) Everyone is welcome, totally veggie and completely free.
Do you think JM will cotton on to this? no, not unless it gets 'trendy'

The Sikhs I've met who volunteer at their Gurdwara the other side of town would be able to make about 20 delicious and nutritious meals with the potato/rice and whatnot, just by the addition of a few extra ingredients like spices and aromatics. And maybe a bag of lentils/beans.

It's a very white centric outlook to think that spuds, grains and vegetables can't form proper meals for children. Or anybody else, for that matter.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
don’t apologise, lovely post. So sad how people sat in offices and thought that was ok to do to kids. This week has been really illuminating when people were literally having to argue the toss on whether to feed children. Food waste is the hill I will die on, I notice it everywhere I go (well, pre lockdown). Soaps and tv progs as well, whenever it’s not plastic food and they finger it all and then it just gets binned. 😞
You've raised so many relevant and thought provoking posts. I hate food waste and thought for a long time that Jack could be an ambassador with this. I guess lockdown larder was an attempt at this but only in response to the temporary and limited food shortages. When you're living on a really limited budget, making the most of every scrap is a lifeline. For me, a weekly shopping list of how you get the most out of everything would be more useful than a recipe book of random cans. What about a recipe book for single people with a shopping list showing how you can use up as much as possible. What about using the freezer? I've got Shivis book which is lovely but what about advice about using the recipes and storage on a budget? Just defrost something nourishing for your kids or yourself when you're feeling tit rather than having to make something?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I get free range, completely fresh (albeit slightly chewed) normal flavour ones for free. It's the Idiot Animal's way of chipping in for his keep. Just as well when I've just banged out nearly sixty quid for more wanky cat food this afternoon. I'd say that Woodmice are gluten free, but I suspect the birdtable is contributing to them being very heavily glutened up at present
Chocolate Mouse! Duh...what a spelling mistake to make..Chocolate mousse.
Had originally put chocolate yogurt but thought that didn’t make sense!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I’m more annoyed with the idiot who tagged her with what she would do with the stuff. Nobody cares.

As a side, she needs to get to duck. I have never seen someone so self obsessed trying to push themselves into someone else’s great work.
Think about it Jack in your maverick deluded little brain - this food can be stored at room temperature at a push, it’s easy to make food for the time conscious. It has some nutrition. Families don’t have three Smeg’s and a freezer to store their wares, it’s the basics to get a child fed what they would’ve had for school dinners.

Thank god she’s nowhere near in charge of the packs, we’d have tinned peaches, horse spunk in a pot, anchovies in mayo and a really long letter about her and her life and how she suffered for a few months on food banks.

Finally, thank you to everyone who said I’d helped with the food bank stuff and what to donate. I love I’ve made a tiny bit of difference and buying non budget brands means the person is more humanised than constant value range food. And people using food banks love treats too! Remember, older folk love tinned rice pudding and tinned fruit salad. So those are new things I’ve learned to have lots of for pensioners.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.