Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've Grunkad my way here again.

I'm so fucked off with the shaming of those food parcels. They're there to replace the 5 lunches the kids would be receiving if they were in school, it's not supposed to be a week of food ffs. There is nothing wrong with sandwich, fruit and a yoghurt. Or jacket, beans and cheese.
I actually think that sending the makings of sandwiches is the best option because
1) No cooking required
2) Kids can make them if the parent is unable
3) Quite a universally accepted food (although I know there are kids who won't eat sandwiches)
4) Easy to incorporate things you might already have at home (add a packet of crisps, some crudités, bowl of soup, etc)

Also, people are saying it's not enough food for older kids. It is. It's enough food for an adult for a week of lunches. As I've said before, in an ideal world it's not the lunches you'd choose for your kids. I would love mine to be eating a homemade soup filled with lovely veg, but this is the real world and there is a global pandemic. Those food parcels are an absolute God send to some families right now, and shaming them for needing what these arseholes are calling such basics is gross.

THIS!!! When I watched Jamie Oliver's lockdown show, I really noticed how much he showcased the food he had made and couldn't wait to tuck in. Quite often it showed the family sitting down for dinner and he'd ask the kids if they were enjoying it. Even on the couple of shows he recorded in a studio before lockdown, he was eating the food with proper "Ohhhh yum".
As a complete contrast, when Jack makes any food on screen she doesn't talk about it, doesn't showcase it, seems disinterested, just plonks it down off camera. It's bizarre. I feel like Jamie makes food he loves, whereas Jack makes food with an attitude of proving she can overcome a challenge or something.

We eat so much broccoli (6 heads a week) and cauliflower (2 heads a week) and I feel really guilty about this now. Sorry! I haven't had any problems though, I get a weekly order and it's always there.
So this is where all the broccoli is going 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Jamie Oliver promoted Marcus’ campaign
jamie Oliver did a series and book about school dinners.
Jamie Oliver is used to dealing with suppliers, wholesalers and dealing in bulk.
who could help Marcus best about getting the most value for money and nutrition for these lunches....
Also JO has been doing a ton of stuff on saving British suppliers, putting together delivery packs for people who want to order British cheeses and meats and produce. The businesses were left with mass backups of foods when the restaurants closed and supermarkets weren't interested in it so JO organised a best of british type thing to help the excess food get bought and the businesses continue to make money. I thought that was really good.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Also, people are saying it's not enough food for older kids. It is. It's enough food for an adult for a week of lunches. As I've said before, in an ideal world it's not the lunches you'd choose for your kids. I would love mine to be eating a homemade soup filled with lovely veg, but this is the real world and there is a global pandemic. Those food parcels are an absolute God send to some families right now, and shaming them for needing what these arseholes are calling such basics is gross.
I don't want to go all Mumsnet about portion sizes, or trigger anything about food and eating, but I do think there is something here about how we've lost sight of how much food is actually the necessary amount of food in recent years. I like vintage bits and pieces and I mostly use old plates I've picked up in charity shops over the years. They are noticeably smaller than the plates you'd buy these days, and I think that's because there was much less on them, but it was enough.

I think that means that when people look at that food, they think, 'oh it's not enough' because they are used to huge packs of potatoes, or multi-packs of tuna, or large lumps of cheese in their shopping. But when you portion out what's there, it is enough, it's just not what we're used to seeing.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Not sure if this is the time to post this but think it is relevant. Many years ago I was a stay at home mum with two boys, aged approximately 4 and 2. My husband was in a non managerial admin job, not greatly paid but more than many.

The day before my husband was paid I believed I had no food in the house. I did a stock take, I had flour, butter, a dried up end of cheddar, two bendy carrots, a few frozen peas, an onion, a large potato and one tin of baked beans.

I made pastry and then turned it in to cheesy vegetable pasties, served them with baked beans. That time I managed to wing it. Have had low level food hoarding tendencies since.

That was a near as I got to not being able to feed my children, others are not so lucky. I do believe though that some people could benefit from some cookery advice, my mum taught me to make pastry. Not everyone has that benefit.

What I don't believe, is it that JM is a saviour for anyone. For the record my older son, who sadly has not been around for more than 20 years was born a few days earlier than JM. I could write a really good book on cooking for a family on a budget. I am not marketable enough to get a deal.
Do it, Mari - the opportunity is there for anyone. Your recipe for the the pasties sounds delicious and I imagine you have many more up your sleeve ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I posted this on the Sali Hughes thread ages ago but seeing as we're talking Nigel, I'll share my favourite reply he's ever done.
Do you think he does his twitter or has someone to do it?? I cannot ever imagine him talking like this in real life 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Or get individual fags from the ice cream man.... ;)
My brother used to sell them, little sod. He's never smoked in his life either!

I had more or less the same packed lunch every single day of primary school - sandwich made with one slice of bread, crisps, mini chocolate bar, and a bit of fruit. I didn't eat lunch in high school (not a good idea, but that's teenagers for you!)

Reactions: 10
The last photo definitely looks very healthy. But there doesn't seem much to actually make a meal with apart from a couple of potatoes. Apart from the eggs and what looks like chicken at the top, where's the protein? Or carbs? If you have bread, what can you use to make a sandwich? The majority of it is fruit. You would still need to buy additional things to put with the veg to make a meal. Also, that is for 2 weeks.
I thought that. Looks lovely and colourful, but not overly filling for 2 weeks worth of meals. Lots of good nutrients in the fruit and veg but that's not going to keep a young tummy full on its own.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Just been catching up this morning and everyone has said pretty much what I think and feel but me being me wants to throw her 2 pence worth in. I’m actually sick of her. Whilst she’s been on twitter nagging on to anyone who’ll listen about how bad her life is, Marcus Rashford has actually been doing something more than constructive and has made a difference and changed a bloody policy! But in she comes on her white saviour horse to usher him out of the way and take over. Nah. I’m not having it. Sit the duck down Jack and shut the duck up, you kicked off about JO getting all up in your niche 🙄 and now you’re doing the same to him and MR (who I’d say has had more real life experience in this than you, let’s be real here).

Whoever said she actually hates food but just wants the fame is bang on. Just take time out, look after your son and find a new ‘Career’. This cooking lark really isn’t your niche.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Just been catching up this morning and everyone has said pretty much what I think and feel but me being me wants to throw her 2 pence worth in. I’m actually sick of her. Whilst she’s been on twitter nagging on to anyone who’ll listen about how bad her life is, Marcus Rashford has actually been doing something more than constructive and has made a difference and changed a bloody policy! But in she comes on her white saviour horse to usher him out of the way and take over. Nah. I’m not having it. Sit the duck down Jack and shut the duck up, you kicked off about JO getting all up in your niche 🙄 and now you’re doing the same to him and MR (who I’d say has had more real life experience in this than you, let’s be real here).

Whoever said she actually hates food but just wants the fame is bang on. Just take time out, look after your son and find a new ‘Career’. This cooking lark really isn’t your niche.
But remember she’s a behind the scenes government advisor 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Just wanted to chime in with my experience of school meals, I was on FSM throughout all of my school years and fortunately had an alright experience of them. My primary school (early 90s time) was tiny, around 60 odd kids in the school so there was never a need for anyone to queue separately or be marked in a register. Everyone just queued, had the same meal and everyone had dibs on second helpings.
Secondary school we did have the plastic meal tickets but I never felt any shame in using it, I was queen amongst my packed lunch eating friends as if I didn't feel massively hungry (I was fortunate and my mum always made me a hot meal at home after school), I used my allowance to buy us all iced buns, turkey twizzlers and sausage rolls 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I thought that. Looks lovely and colourful, but not overly filling for 2 weeks worth of meals. Lots of good nutrients in the fruit and veg but that's not going to keep a young tummy full on its own.
Yes I agree, that box looks lovely and colourful but where are the meals? The food provided is supposed to be for lunches, the one with beans and baked potatoes with biscuits looked better.
There are statistics that show that a large percentage of people eat the same lunch everyday. I remember there being a phone in on radio about it. For lots of adults a Tesco meal deal is their lunch; sandwich, bag of crisps and a drink. We have definitely lost sight of portion size.

When I am working I often ate the same lunch, ham sandwich, crisps, apple. That was it, it was enough for me as an adult but lay it out for a week and it would look rubbish!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I don't want to go all Mumsnet about portion sizes, or trigger anything about food and eating, but I do think there is something here about how we've lost sight of how much food is actually the necessary amount of food in recent years. I like vintage bits and pieces and I mostly use old plates I've picked up in charity shops over the years. They are noticeably smaller than the plates you'd buy these days, and I think that's because there was much less on them, but it was enough.

I think that means that when people look at that food, they think, 'oh it's not enough' because they are used to huge packs of potatoes, or multi-packs of tuna, or large lumps of cheese in their shopping. But when you portion out what's there, it is enough, it's just not what we're used to seeing.
I appreciate your sensitive wording of this, (such a contrast to JM's attitude of not giving a fig about triggering people) and I think it's a very good point.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.