Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I’ve just caught up at last! 🤣 I’m really angry, these food parcels are good for children who may get nothing. I’m sure they aren’t looking thinking “better not eat the biscuits”, not good for me. I think it’s totally fine as something that’s been put together quickly, after all we are in a pandemic Jack! I’m about the most opposite thing to a Tory you can get, so I’m not supporting them, but I think at least they’re getting food for just now. Long term another solution will need to be worked out

I think Marcus Rashford has been inspirational, well done him for showing how to go about it. I heard him speaking this morning and thought how proud his Mum must be, and I’ll admit I felt a bit teary.

So duck you Jack, this is not about you and nothing to do with you, so back off! When I give to the food bank I always try to give pet food, sanitary products, toothpaste and chocolate. Nobody should not have treats and a pet may be the only comfort they have.

Oh and @Silver Linings you have made me laugh tonight 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
OT, sort of... Twitter using people - I have just cleared out my Twitter feed of all the accounts that stress me out but I unaccountably kept on following and want to replace them with nice things. I have a load of foodie ones, but I'd also like funny ones, or animal ones, or ones that will show me pretty things. Anyone got any recommendations for things that will make me HOOT WITH LAUGHTER or GASP AT BUTTERFLIES please?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
That's all very well, but does he have the LIVED EXPERIENCE. Had he ever been the poorest person in Britian? I think not.
If his Mum didnt sell his cuddely toy dinosaur then his opinion is invalid x

So angry about her discourse and piggy bagging of the vouchers stuff but other tattlers have eloquently said everything that was buzzing around in my head!

OT, sort of... Twitter using people - I have just cleared out my Twitter feed of all the accounts that stress me out but I unaccountably kept on following and want to replace them with nice things. I have a load of foodie ones, but I'd also like funny ones, or animal ones, or ones that will show me pretty things. Anyone got any recommendations for things that will make me HOOT WITH LAUGHTER or GASP AT BUTTERFLIES please?
I recommend the @WholesomeMeme account and @TheDailyOtter @Flumps

• Heart
Reactions: 17
So I’ve just caught up at last! 🤣 I’m really angry, these food parcels are good for children who may get nothing. I’m sure they aren’t looking thinking “better not eat the biscuits”, not good for me. I think it’s totally fine as something that’s been put together quickly, after all we are in a pandemic Jack! I’m about the most opposite thing to a Tory you can get, so I’m not supporting them, but I think at least they’re getting food for just now. Long term another solution will need to be worked out

I think Marcus Rashford has been inspirational, well done him for showing how to go about it. I heard him speaking this morning and thought how proud his Mum must be, and I’ll admit I felt a bit teary.

So duck you Jack, this is not about you and nothing to do with you, so back off! When I give to the food bank I always try to give pet food, sanitary products, toothpaste and chocolate. Nobody should not have treats and a pet may be the only comfort they have.

Oh and @Silver Linings you have made me laugh tonight 🤣
I was thinking about his mum too, and how proud she must be. He’s done an amazing thing. He’s become hugely rich practically overnight, and that can make people go off the rails as we’ve seen so many times, but he’s clearly not forgotten where he came from. (Especially when the other stories about footballers during lockdown have been about how they didn’t want to take a cut in their obscene wages, or how they’ve been having illegal sex parties - yes, I know that’s not all footballers, but those are the stories we’ve come to expect.)

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I think it’s a very good point about getting food into kids that they will eat. I’ve spoken about my poverty childhood before on here but I was always a veg lover (on my free school meals ((at my secondary school I had to use my whole break time queuing up for my bright red laminated dinner card everyday to use at lunchtime and try my best to rope a friend into queuing with me) And at my nan’s for Sunday lunch). But my kids on the other hand are down to about 4 vegetables that they will consistently eat (Cucumber and carrots being 2 of them) and the eldest doesn’t even really like fruit, despite me trying them with every bloody produce under sun! During lockdown it’s just been a case of trying my best to get some greenery through the net.

The pics of the meal packs are what they would and usually do eat (although one will eat beans, one won’t, one likes yogurt, the other doesn’t etc). It’s so bloody difficult. And now I feel as tit as I used to on mumsnet when all the other kids were eating seventy billion portions of veg a day!

sorry, this post is a bit ‘woe is me’, I just bleeping hate food politics and how nothing is ever nutritious enough or correct enough on the internet.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
I mentioned them yesterday but We Want Plates is a great one. Speaking of twitter, the person who innocently said to Jack that she should be enjoying her break and was it her publicist has deleted her twitter, I dread to think why. 😞

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
I remember there being huge backlash over this and Jack getting very defensive over her right to stockpile. It's a natural action to stockpile - apparently psychologists see it as us trying to take back control? But the COVID situation highlights how it should be avoided - so many vulnerable people couldnt access food because of selfish people.q
There's a difference between stocking up and stockpiling. I stocked up for months just by adding a couple of extra cans or packets every shop. I live rurally in Scotland and have both been cut off for five days and without power for three days at different times. It affects the way I think and live; for example, my kitchen range runs on LPG and, unlike some of the new ones, the hob will light manually if there is no electricity. I also have a wood stove for heat. I have five plastic boxes of tins, packets, OTC medicines, loo rolls, longlife milk, toiletries, etc under the bed so the dogs, the cats, and I can live off the contents for a few weeks. It meant that I didn't have to go out when people were stockpiling for the pandemic. I also stock my freezer, including with milk.

Stock up; don't stockpile.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Has she stopped Tweeting this evening? I don’t even dare start an account. For one thing I find it confusing, and another thing I feel like I’m already taking the piss by constantly sneaking off and reading this thread. Will nobody in the Twittersphere tell her she’s having a laugh trying to muscle in on Marcus’ achievement.

duck off Jack!

Thrilled that @TheDailyOtter, is, in fact, an otter a day. I love otters and things that do what they say on the tin.
A bit like the Gaily Mail, then. Oh, wait....

• Haha
Reactions: 14
There's a difference between stocking up and stockpiling. I stocked up for months just by adding a couple of extra cans or packets every shop. I live rurally in Scotland and have both been cut off for five days and without power for three days at different times. It affects the way I think and live; for example, my kitchen range runs on LPG and, unlike some of the new ones, the hob will light manually if there is no electricity. I also have a wood stove for heat. I have five plastic boxes of tins, packets, OTC medicines, loo rolls, longlife milk, toiletries, etc under the bed so the dogs, the cats, and I can live off the contents for a few weeks. It meant that I didn't have to go out when people were stockpiling for the pandemic. I also stock my freezer, including with milk.

Stock up; don't stockpile.
There is a 'prepper' saying that you should prepare for a broken lightbulb to the zombie apocalypse. And everything in between.☺
We also live rurally and bad weather, power cuts etc are other reasons why we make sure that we have a reasonable back up of essentials, should we not be able to get out and about, or supplies are affected for another reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I like that dress! I used to buy fifties dresses for best from jumble sales when I was a thin student cycling several miles a day as I have a very defined waist (it's ALL much bigger now if in relative proportion!)
Have you seen the dress from the front yet...?

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I just had a nosey around I see JM has responded about where it was from...

View attachment 156430

I'm guessing that this wasn't what you were considering wearing to a wedding, but you may well be a braver woman than I......

Also, photo taken from the side.... Were you also planning on doing the pre-recorded video from the side? Because that, I promise, is just going to look well weird.

There must be some sort of lining as the model isn't showing any nips. If I was Jack's size, I would so want this dress.

Sorry off topic but I think I am being made redundant tomorrow 😫 We were told last week that there would be redundancies and I just received a meeting invite with head of department, my line manager and HR.
Yay.
Hugs.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Become a VIP with my last rant. If there's one thing I can give Jack credit for it's that she's so full of tit I've become an überhausfrau.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
I have been a follower and admirer of JM for years. I remember really relating to some of her poverty and deprivation stories and also feeling quite moved at times by her. I admired her stance against Hatie Kopkins.

I ignored the overly descriptive (and sometimes quite off putting use of weird words when describing foods) writing, putting it down to just finding her feet and style. I started to get a little disconcerted over time as she seemed to collect various labels and diagnoses but, again, ignored it to a degree. I didn’t/don’t believe she is an alcoholic...maybe she just binged a few times and didn’t like herself much afterwards. The number of ethnic/hereditary cultural backgrounds increased to a number that seemed a little strange but hey ho, some people probably do have 3-4 diverse grandparents. The confusion over sexuality and gender is almost a given, it seems nowadays in trendy circles.

I bought a couple of the Tin Can book for the food bank drive. I tried a couple of recipes from the internet and did find them disappointing enough to not want to buy a book myself but got behind the idea of supporting a resource that was needed in a time of rising prices, looming Brexit (and its economic impact), and a Conservative government that wants to ensure the poor stay poor (that awful documentary on C4 last year about food bank use nearly broke my heart).

Lately, I wondered if they had become ill and it has been blatantly obvious for some time that they were single again so I googled and found myself here a couple of nights ago.....and, well......wow. Talk about eye-opener.

I feel somewhat cheated. And also concerned for their welfare and sons welfare. And, I also feel a tad angry because they have used a huge platform that could do so much good and seems hell bent on turning into a car crash. It’s all become quite unseemly and verging on desperate. The free school meals thing on top of the JO rants and backtrack is a final straw for me.

That comment about working with the government to sort things out certainly does lend itself to being egotistical and tone deaf. Has it not occurred to Jack that as a top performing athlete with connections to sport and nutrition programmes unrivalled in many regards, along with the clout of a world renowned sporting brand, Marcus Rashford might have a bit more knowledge and clout on getting action on the situation? I would imagine he could put a team together with the involvement of his mum and absolutely knock it out of the park, both practically and promotionally.

I don’t think she is a bad person - far from it. I can’t get angry with her, as some do here. I think she is in need of some serious help and some guidance and maybe even some form of family support and parenting herself.

If, as some believe, Jack is reading this, I hope you get help. Growing up in a dysfunctional family (poor, deprived, working class family with little food, an alcoholic single parent on benefits and being the eldest so looking after the young ones - yes, I DO know what it’s like), well, it is a living hell. If you can’t do it for yourself, do it for the boy you love. Put the phone down and get help. Tonight.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.