Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think some people just ask so they can have a response.

Like she did to the Dishoom recipe? Completely bastardising it and not taking into account any of the book which explains why its cooked a certain way. I'm sure they real appreciated that.....

On another note, i am seeing into the future and i am going to make the prediction that the food parcel she creates will come in the form of blog post. It will be a post with a lot of adjectives and fluffy writing and drive people to her website to boost revenue. Alas, her loyal fans will say she is a true hero whilst she benefits from the gains made. As usual. allegedly ofc, just a humble opinion.
Along with affiliate links to whatever products she can flog to her poor fans

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Talking of tomatoes, I forgot to thank the person (I think Flumps maybe?) who suggested marinating baby tomatoes in olive oil and salt and pepper for the day to add to a caprese salad. I did it earlier in the week and it was bloody lovely- so easy but not anything I’d have done without reading that, and made my salad bloody lovely!
It was me. Hurray, hurray! So glad you liked it. x

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Ooh, that reminds me, I've got some bulgar wheat (no NOT vulgar what, autocarrot) in the cupboard so some onions cooked till transparent, spinach, courgetes and stock will do me, plus whatever herbs, nuts etc I can find.
I cannot do anything with bulghar wheat except make tabbouleh, because I love it so much. Though, as it's now known round these parts, because I once made my best mate some and somewhat (massively) overdid the quantities - 'billions of tabbouleh'.

Reactions: 11
Dear Jack, I found an old opal fruit in my pocket a couple of days ago. In these days of food wastage I am understandably loath to throw it away. Any ideas for a Carribbean inspired dish? The opal fruit is lime if that helps.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Roasted celery is not the way to go for a celery hater lol. Why not give them a recipe for a Soffrito that can be the base of so much Italian cooking? Or point out that celery is wonderful in a homemade stock?!

I treat celery like onions and garlic it’s more an aromatic than a starring ingredient (Except in a Bloody Mary). The only thing maverick about her brain is her shocking lack of imagination

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
Genuine question re #JackMonroesLockdownLarder why would you ask for a recipe for evaporated milk 'hopefully' fudge when you can just Google?

Same with banana blossom? Google it?

Hmm am I Jack? Can I predict the future? She just used both these links as a response :eek:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
If you have a bad nut allergy, replace the ground almonds in cake recipes with flour ffs! Ground up sunflower seeds?!?! I despair
I assume suggesting 'make cakes that don't call for ground nuts', is a dick move. But...

Hmm am I Jack? Can I predict the future? She just used both these links as a response :eek:
Hah. Neither. I suspect we all know the real answer.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Right. I've been biting my tongue on this because she really is best ignored but....my sister works in food logistics. She is, honestly, the kindest, sweetest, most big hearted person - I'm talking cries at adverts softness. She did some of the earliest food packages for people shielding and it was a bleeping nightmare. She was up until 3am working most days because the conditions placed on them (ambient products, can be made on a hob, suitable for vegetarians, low skill etc.) and the fact it isn't that easy to divert commercial food into households. What do you do? Send people a 25kg bag of pasta and let them get on with it?

In those first weeks, she worked so hard to just get people food. Maybe not the best food in the world, not the food of your dreams, but something to eat. And then they worked to improve them. She was in tears most days at the thought of kids and old people going hungry and the day she got pictures of people with their cereal and pasta and sauce she was also in tears.

This suggestion that this is just capitalist greed and not people just doing their best in difficult circumstances.....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 79
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.