Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Doobots

Chatty Member
This lunch stuff very much feels like piggybacking off of the success of a black man / trying to steal some of his current clout. Which sits uncomfortably with me given her video and promises of allyship.

• Heart
Reactions: 57

Mel Donte

Chatty Member
Thank you to those of you who mentioned donating herbs and spices to food banks. When you're broke it's hard to justify spending money on food items that won't fill you up. I had to use a food bank a few times and got given a jar of smoked paprika once. It made the meals I used it in feel like more than just survival food. I actually cried the first time I added it to my beans on toast!

Edited to say sorry, I don't mean to do a Jack-style poverty brag. Things are much better now.

• Heart
Reactions: 56

Cbacooking

Jamie Oliver promoted Marcus’ campaign
jamie Oliver did a series and book about school dinners.
Jamie Oliver is used to dealing with suppliers, wholesalers and dealing in bulk.
who could help Marcus best about getting the most value for money and nutrition for these lunches....

• Heart
Reactions: 55

NP

VIP Member
So hang on... Marcus Rashford has campaigned so these school lunches will now be provided throughout the holidays, but Jack the Patreon Saint of All Things Poor is saying these meals aren’t good enough? So basically shitting on what he’s done? I’m not saying these meals are great, but JM’s timing as usual is completely off and she needs to sit back and let Marcus Rashford get the praise he deserves for this.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 53

Silver Linings

VIP Member
43F6FE47-BB56-407F-A237-35105CD9F9A6.jpeg

I’ve just been staring at this in awe. What you’re describing here, my dear sweet summer child, is not liking something.

Now, I don’t have any honorary doctorates so please take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I would say, don’t eat them?

My instagram live show would be called EAT THEM, FREEZE THEM, GOOGLE IT.

Please deposit a five figure salary in my tip jar/patreon.

• Haha
  • Heart

colouredlines

VIP Member
20200618_103616.jpg

I keep seeing posts like this.

a) Admittedly I'm not in the UK, but does any country on earth recommend that children eat five pieces of fruit for lunch each day? No wonder you have a toilet paper shortage.

b) Why is everyone asking Jack for nutritous food? Jack has never been about nutrition; she's always been about eating as cheaply as possible. In fact, she frequently scoffs at people who want the poor to get nutrients (see: lemons). This is a woman who rinses spaghetti hoops FFS. Are they thinking of someone else, maybe someone who has run a few campaigns about healthy school meals...? The name's on the tip of my tongue...

• Haha
  • Heart

I steal names

VIP Member
Had a bit of a catch up session. She is exhausting, nothing is ever good enough. The packs I've seen are a bit boring, but if people have enough things to make sandwiches/pasta for 5 days, with some fruit or a snack for "afters" I think it's OK as a short term thing. The most important thing is kids who need it are being fed.

I had some terrible news yesterday about a good friend that has knocked me for six. So my patience for JM's nonsense is at an all time low. She doesn't realise how bloody lucky she is. I might take some time away for a couple of days. Not flouncy or anything, but I may get banned if I start effing and blinding about her. See you in a bit everyone x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52

HarderFaster

VIP Member
Has Jack the food poverty campaigner never heard of a frigging food desert? 1.2 million people in the UK live where there is no easily accessible, affordable fresh food (I actually think this is a very conservative estimate, too).

If parents of children on FSM only live within accessible distance of, say, a Sainsbury's Local or a Tesco Extra, these food parcels are considerably better than what you could get for £15 in vouchers. The Sainsbury's Local by me is eye-wateringly expensive and the only things ever on offer are Pringles and Milkybar.

She just can't look past her own incredibly limited experience, with her badly costed recipes full of Basics-range ingredients which most local stores don't even stock.

Of course kids should be provided with nutritionally balanced meals but... these are?! Carbs, protein, fat, fibre. As long as they're not going hungry, does it matter if someone is making profit?

(incidentally, I don't agree with it being a profit-making exercise but Jack Monroe is the LAST person qualified to talk about the immorality of monetising poverty and misfortune). Honestly, fuck her and her shitty attempts to muscle in on Marcus Rashford's amazing work.

• Heart
Reactions: 51

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
I don't know what to write lads. I am actually incensed with the way she is talking about these food packs. She was a food bank user. She goes on and on about the need to provide food that is fine at ambient temperatures. The schools have to think about storage. Parents might be on a meter so nit using a fridge. So a week loads of fresh meals in little tubs can't get stored properly. That's if they have a fridge. We have refugee families up here in horrific living conditions who don't have basic white goods.
Is she is so concerned get out there and do something. We have lots of organisations offering hot meals to the vulnerable. The local places of worship are doing great things. Our Gurdwara is working 24/7 creating nutritious veggie meals for the community. But it's usually just protein, a carb and some fruit.
Get off fucking twitter and do something. I have literally posted about https://www.chefsinschools.org.uk/ 5 times. Stop lying in bed with big corporation and be the change you claim to be.

Nothing but a fucking gobshite.

• Heart
Reactions: 51

kirkvanhouten

'Thank you Marcus, I can take it from here' :cool:

It just illustrates such a huge ego. Marcus has done this but now i'm here to do this ITS NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY. I can make ANY SORT OF FOOD!!! GIVE ME ANYTHING! Her fans really have blown that smoke up her arse.

Except....she cant. She hasn't had decent recipes since her first couple of books, even her fans are saying its shit.

Jamie Oliver literally has campaigned for better meals, for nutrition, for kids. its his NICHE. Why is she butting in on his NICHEEEEEE!!! He did it will good intentions though, whereas she is doing it because she has seen all the admiration and glory that Rashford is (rightfully) getting.

It's in my opinion, really irritating/insulting for her to put herself front and centre.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
I’m on a well-being conference call right now, and meant to be doing breathing exercises. I’m obviously using this as prime Tattle catch up time. This is what we train for, folks.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
My local Tesco has a donation bin to put pet food in. I would actually starve to feed my cats. I’m more worried about brexit for them than for me

I would say if you have a food bank donation point just give some pet food as well.

I’ve had loads of grief for having pets and being poor but I don’t care. I had cats when I was in work and all my cats are rescues and I’d go without to make sure they are looked after.

Just going to say. I’m a bit of an oddball when it comes to fruit. I don’t like bananas unless I bake banana bread. So I’m not the best person to advise on whether a banana recipe is rubbish or not.

But this is actually a banana microwaved with two squares of chocolate on top.

Sorry. But that gives me the actual boak.

(Sick for people who aren’t Scottish).

I would honestly drink a stock cube dissolved than this.

I cannot go with that whole 'you're poor so you shouldn't have X/Y/Z'
Poor people shouldn't have TV's
Poor people shouldn't be able to smoke or drink.

Aye fuck off whilst they sit in the dark and stare at the wall. People who have income problems are allowed to have pleasures in life too.

Anyhooo, that's a rant for another day

• Heart
Reactions: 48

NP

VIP Member
Let’s be honest. Lockdown Larder was started purely to spite THAT MAN. It was timed at exactly the same time each evening as his show on C4 and involved nothing more than replying, “Bung it in a curry/stew/soup” without a recipe for said curry, stew or soup.

• Heart
Reactions: 47