Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On that Talking Tastebuds podcast a couple years ago, JM was asked what her death row dinner would be. Cue the perfect chance to talk about her very favourite foods, or foods that could evoke some comforting memories, like how literally all the others guests answered. But, and I kid you not, JM says she would eat her own leg. "I would be very curious to know if I taste as good as I think I do!"

She really does not like food.

ETA: Oh and @Flumps, I second @Hunty recommendation of @SoVeryBritish on Twitter - so funny!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Even when talking about something like free school dinners, she’s got to turn it round to be about her first and foremost 😡
How many times does she have to tell everyone her whole life is on bleeping fire. And that she’s barely sleeping? I assumed that was an old tweet when I read that but no, only last night.

Not trying to do a Jack here but also remember being one of the talkers about A Little Life. That book ruined me for all other books for a good month after reading it X
Yes it’s a wonderfully written book.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
And it’s all dealt with so aggressively in a very right/wrong manner.

The reality is that School meals and therefore free school meals are complicated. Jamie did do well in getting rid of Turkey twisters and other revolting meat products but lots of children are fussier than ideal and lots of school cooks are low skilled. Am blaming no one for either of these situations it is what it is.

We all want children to be fed a nutritionally balanced meal with low food waste and delicious menus. But we also want them to eat, as part of a previous job I did, I ran some school residential trips. The chef at the campsite was brilliant, yes he cooked chicken nuggets, chips and beans But those children were away from home for the first time and doing physical activities all day so he wanted them to be fed. We knew they would eat his food, present them with Jack’s slop and ...well it would be interesting!!!

In terms of the food packages going out to families, again the situation is complicated. There should be some nutritional guidance but from what I have seen there are some that have baked potatoes with beans or cheese, some pasta with sauce, some sandwich components with a piece of fruit and a biscuits. This is what I know lots of children will eat.

There is clearly a discussion to be had here but I think it is complex and doesn’t have to be aggressive.

Edited to add, because some else went there I will also go there...the discussion doesn’t have to be centred around middle class values. Im not suggesting that children who qualify for free food don’t deserve the same quality food as middle class folks but there should be a voice of the people receiving the food included not just the MC discussing ‘them’ and ’their’ food on twitter. Hope that makes sense and isn’t totally insensitive!
I’m 5 pages behind but just wanted to say that this post is great. The reality is that when you’re catering for such a huge number of families simple and easy to prepare is best.
I‘m all for kids eating healthily and not just your standard “kid foods”, but you can present children with the most healthy, balanced means but if they won’t eat it it’s just a waste of nutrients and you still have a hungry child. Surely fed is best.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
On that Talking Tastebuds podcast a couple years ago, JM was asked what her death row dinner would be. Cue the perfect chance to talk about her very favourite foods, or foods that could evoke some comforting memories, like how literally all the others guests answered. But, and I kid you not, JM says she would eat her own leg. "I would be very curious to know if I taste as good as I think I do!"

She really does not like food.

ETA: Oh and @Flumps, I second @Hunty recommendation of @SoVeryBritish on Twitter - so funny!
Jack’s talking tastebuds -

I’m 5 pages behind but just wanted to say that this post is great. The reality is that when you’re catering for such a huge number of families simple and easy to prepare is best.
I‘m all for kids eating healthily and not just your standard “kid foods”, but you can present children with the most healthy, balanced means but if they won’t eat it it’s just a waste of nutrients and you still have a hungry child. Surely fed is best.
Yes, absolutely (!) right. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. I’ve noticed she doesn’t say ‘Yes, absolutely’ now, do you think we’ve given her a complex?

• Haha
Reactions: 26
The whole point I think of the school lunches is to ensure children get enough to eat as they are currently missing out the meal they get at school and to many that is very important as there is not much at home. When I was a kid both my parents work all be it in very low paid jobs. My mum and dad were skint yet they always made sure we had food to eat. It may not have always been gourmet but was always something and we never hungry.

What I really don't understand is that she is ill due to all manner of things yet she's trying to get involved in another fundraiser. She just needs to rest now there is no shame in resting for a bit perhaps thinking up another fundraiser to help the improvised when she is well enough to deal with it. She just going to make herself sicker at this rate.

Reactions: 20
Jamie Oliver did shout outs for people to buy cheeses from places really struggling to sell as restaurants weren't buying and has kept them in business
How funny it is that Jack has the title of campaigner and activist however Jamie Olivier has achieved so much more with his schools dinners, the cheap meals he’s done in the past and then his perfectly timed carry on cooking.
The school dinners thing wasn’t just a phase either, it’s been a big issue for him throughout is career and it’s so lovely to see him supporting Marcus.
Thinking about it as well, Jamie is constantly using his name to support others, the Friday night show on the pier often had a segment promoting areas of the food industry or highlighting an issue. (I remember one was using factory farmed eggs as ingredients.)
He also uses his Instagram to draw attention to people doing good things or struggling industries as mentioned in the above quote.
Jack just uses her stories for self promotion and awkward lives.

Can someone actually tell me anything Jack has done? I only became aware of her after the lime goss article so genuinely interested to know if I’ve missed something.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
She’s right, though. If, and only IF she’s got her facts straight. ***If***a private catering company is getting paid £25 to supply that little pile of food, then I have to agree that it’s a misappropriation of funds.

what have I become?!
I doubt they will be making that much profit. More likely 5% -7%- bearing in mind food costs have fluctuated massively. And I’d be interested if the dissemination of food is also included. Most local LA/NHS procurements will now look at the profit margin separately. Obviously ministerial vanity procurements such as painting plane are somewhat different. And profit is not a bad or evil thing. It means companies are viable and employ staff.

I wouldn’t give any contract to a service provider - private or charity - who wasn’t going to make some profit on it because that’s just fairyland.
What has been done with profit with a lot of companies is asset stripping which is another issue ( so Philip Green taking all the money out of the company) but the mantra of not making profit is a silly one and the reason a lot of charities/ businesses struggle. The costs of delivering food parcels is not the same as the costs of running the company - let alone expanding and creating more jobs. The real question people need to be asking is what are they doing with the profit?

Reactions: 10
This lunch stuff very much feels like piggybacking off of the success of a black man / trying to steal some of his current clout. Which sits uncomfortably with me given her video and promises of allyship.
Just popping in and out of lurking on these threads, but I think she is jealous (again) that someone has trodden on her toes. But she can’t rail against him like with JO as even she has more sense than that. So, instead she is bitching about nutritional values etc. Again, just an opinion.
I could rant forever about this topic but alas am busy today!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
for any Aldi shoppers, right now they have strawberries of the Ania variety in stores. They are incredible. I'm sure they are the ones usually bought by good restaurants. None of that watery elsanta stuff.
I heard about this on the news (not specifically about Aldi strawberries 🤣), but the fact supermarkets are getting restaurant quality produce at the moment as the suppliers can't sell it to restaurants.

Reactions: 13
It's a very white centric outlook to think that spuds, grains and vegetables can't form proper meals for children. Or anybody else, for that matter.
It isn’t even white centric, it’s middle class food angst centric - carbs are cheap and fill you up, that’s what you need when you’re broke.
I collect food via fare share for a homeless hostel and deliver crates of potatoes, bread, fruit etc each time it’s my turn on the rota.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I've made it... I will never take my eye off the ball again. It has take me days to catch up!

I'm confused, but Jack is still a despicable twit.

How dare she jump on the FSM issue now. She has had 11 weeks to come up with something useful but hasn't.

She is a loser standing on a platform waiting for the next big issue to go past so she can jump on it. Once on if she makes a lot of noise and falls off quickly, back to waiting for the next bandwagon.

Look, it's me - Jack! I'm here to save the day!

duck off.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I woke up still wanting to rant about her allyship. That cheap frock she wore yesterday will almost certainly have been made in a developing country by a woman getting paid pennies for her labour.

Buying ethically is hard. Especially in this time of uncertainty around jobs etc. But she is a supposed poverty campaigner. Although it seems to be a niche poverty that she campaigns for, one that looks like her and nothing else.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I’m more annoyed with the idiot who tagged her with what she would do with the stuff. Nobody cares.

As a side, she needs to get to duck. I have never seen someone so self obsessed trying to push themselves into someone else’s great work.
Think about it Jack in your maverick deluded little brain - this food can be stored at room temperature at a push, it’s easy to make food for the time conscious. It has some nutrition. Families don’t have three Smeg’s and a freezer to store their wares, it’s the basics to get a child fed what they would’ve had for school dinners.

Thank god she’s nowhere near in charge of the packs, we’d have tinned peaches, horse spunk in a pot, anchovies in mayo and a really long letter about her and her life and how she suffered for a few months on food banks.

Finally, thank you to everyone who said I’d helped with the food bank stuff and what to donate. I love I’ve made a tiny bit of difference and buying non budget brands means the person is more humanised than constant value range food. And people using food banks love treats too! Remember, older folk love tinned rice pudding and tinned fruit salad. So those are new things I’ve learned to have lots of for pensioners.
I couldn’t agree more. Empathy is a wonderful thing. I saw another post (sorry, I can’t remember who said it) say that JM cannot understand any circumstance other than hers and it’s so true. Think outside the box - don’t tear down entire Local Authorities without a) being sure you’re right - why have those ingredients been chosen? Are they definitely the wrong thing? and b) having all the facts, not what people post on Twitter (I’m not saying these shouldn’t be considered but that can’t be the only thing taken into consideration).

There isn’t anything in those photos that I wouldn’t feed my son or eat myself.

There’s so much good she could do but she misses the mark every time! I think she sees being on Twitter as being a necessary part of her working day but it’s not. Log out and investigate - or leave this Good cause to Marcus Rashford (he really doesn’t need your help)

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It isn’t even white centric, it’s middle class food angst centric - carbs are cheap and fill you up, that’s what you need when you’re broke.
I collect food via fare share for a homeless hostel and deliver crates of potatoes, bread, fruit etc each time it’s my turn on the rota.
I find the clap back against what people with money issues feed their kids asstounding.

'Oh they don't get any fruit and veg, all you feed them is pizza'
First off all produce goes off. You aren't going to spend £3 of food that might turn. Also, pizza is about 70p to £1. That is a meal.
I was in the thread about Marcus Rashford and I had to come out because people have great ideas about what low income people should be doing.
They should be cooking from scratch , they should be doing this and that.
Yes that is the ideal, but people are working all the hours JM claims just to break even. They don't have the time. The might not have the money to run the oven for long enough to do this. They might be disabled and can't do much more than use the microwave. It might be a child having to cook for themselves. There are so many variables and nuances she is just discounting.
Also to make tasty nutritious meals usually includes a little bit of bulk buying and bulk cooking. Many people are living week by week and don't have the capacity to do this outlay or store it. JM might make a supper for 40p, but that's per portion. Don't her sausages work out to be more than a pack of you know, sausages.

The parents that are cooking now are a product of ding culture. In the 80's and 90's convenience food was king. It was the height of 'A woman can have it all'. Many people just do not know how to cook or build a menu. They took home ec out of school so people haven't be learning the basics for a very, very long time. So there is an idea for a book and campaign. Teach this generation how to cook healthy, nutritious and cheap food. Not three can surprise.

The resurgence in food and foodies is really a mid 2000's thing. In cities outside London we got more small restaurants offering more than your standard chain fare. Programs like the naked chef brought food into the TV for the masses. Keith Floyd and Rick Stein are great but they were a bit niche. To love cooking and be into that scene wasn't as big as it is now. Chicken and chips, pasta and sauce, turkey twizzles were king. We also didn't have quite the understanding of nutrition. duck, remember them advertising the special K diet and those awful Ski yogurts.

In regards to the nutrition of the food, it's not great but it's not terrible. I'm my secondary school we had a fuel zone. I had a soggy chicken burger or a slice of pizza with that plastic cheese. These meals are more nutritious than this. Schools at the moment wont have the contacts for bulk buying. So this stuff will be coming from donations or tesco. My mum works for a charity and this is the type of stuff they are having to provide their users because it's easy to store, easy to cook and easy to eat.

There is no quick fix to feed these kids in the holidays. You could set up a canteen system but practicalities would probably only work for one or two meals on the menu a day. The children who are going to eat this probably don't have the most expansive of pallets. So the food here is probably the most like what they would eat regularly.

JM doesn't have the background in the social and economic issues that lead to this intervention being a necessity. Her experience is dated and really quite different that the problems most face. Like it or not she put herself in that position and seems out of sheer stubbornness kept herself there.

I really hope she is on it. As we've always said on these threads she has a platform, she could make change. However, I don't think we should take nutritional advice from someone who uses grated corned beef in a chilli.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
These threads are amazing. So many people here are much better qualified, have a much deeper understanding of these issues and could do so much better than JM.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Jack could do with taking a solid week off work. It wouldn't hurt her income much surely.

OT, has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks? I caved in and bought tenderstem one instead but it was extortionate. The usually 60p broccoli heads seem to have gone AWOL at my local supermarket...

Reactions: 13
Jack's martyr complex has been really coming out to play this week, hasn't it? Lots of "I'm dying of insomnia and heartbreak but the people neeeeeed me"

No, they really don't. There are better people out there for the school meal stuff, and your core audience - morons who look at a slice of bread and say "can I eat it?" - would be better served by learning to use Google. As the Bible says, give a man a crappy mackerel and peach curry and he'll eat for a day, teach him to use Google and he'll eat forever

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
A Hellman's/Jack ad popped up on my FB and I took a nose at the comments. The last one tickled me 😂
Screenshot_20200618-081903~3.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.