Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Ellabella

VIP Member
I'm going to have to log off for the night before Jack's latest makes me spontaneously combust. I cannot bear to see her parachute herself into Marcus Rashford's campaign when the hard graft's already been done, like the white saviour she cannot help herself be (and find the energy to still make it all about her).

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 46

Flumps

VIP Member
I actually don't know if I can ever eat again as last night I discovered that the man I'm seeing EATS RAW SAUSAGE. He claims it's normal round these parts; my friends vehemently disagree. To be clear, this is not any kind of fancy cured sausage. This is sausage in plastic packaging from the supermarket that normal people grill or fry.

I wonder what Jack would have to say about it...
ETA: Actually, going to put this behind a spoiler, for the faint of heart and not as strong of stomach as JM.

When my step-son was very young, his mum once caught him sneaking into the fridge and drinking the bloody juice stuff from the bottom of a tray of pork chops. I think yours might be worse. On account of it being a grown up doing it.

• Sick
  • Wow

Leonard

Wow. I feel somewhat exhausted and more than a little bit jittery after all that catching up. I almost deleted my account a few days ago: not in a JM flouncy way, but this thread was/is taking up way too much of my time...!* Then came in for “one final read/catch up” and seems like I’ve missed the most explosive/eventful days we’ve ever had on this group...

As always, not much to add, but thank you hausfrau for maintaining the cabal and ensuring it remains a place of high quality entertainment. Let’s hope the trash learns to take itself out 😉

I do miss the simpler days of DKL, recipe, seeds and book sharing though. Seems like a lifetime ago! On the book front - someone (maybe @Harrybosch ?) said they were only going to read BAME authors this year. Loved that idea and I’m doing the same now, and so bought (thanks to another hausfrau influencer) A Little Life. Half way through and it’s the best book I’ve read in years and I read a LOT. So thank you...

Now going for a lie down. WAY too much excitement for one afternoon/evening.

as you were 😘

*not that my time is any more valuable than anyone else’s! Just that I’ve 2 young kids and a baby at home, none of whom seem to get just how gripping this all is. Apart from the baby who is a total enabler... “just off to feed the baby” (and read 50 pages of JM posts)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

MarthaFarkus

VIP Member
Just been catching up this morning and everyone has said pretty much what I think and feel but me being me wants to throw her 2 pence worth in. I’m actually sick of her. Whilst she’s been on twitter nagging on to anyone who’ll listen about how bad her life is, Marcus Rashford has actually been doing something more than constructive and has made a difference and changed a bloody policy! But in she comes on her white saviour horse to usher him out of the way and take over. Nah. I’m not having it. Sit the fuck down Jack and shut the fuck up, you kicked off about JO getting all up in your niche 🙄 and now you’re doing the same to him and MR (who I’d say has had more real life experience in this than you, let’s be real here).

Whoever said she actually hates food but just wants the fame is bang on. Just take time out, look after your son and find a new ‘Career’. This cooking lark really isn’t your niche.

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Flumps

VIP Member
She really does need to butt out. She's had zilch to do or say regarding this campaign, or school meals in general. Jumps in at last minute seeking a slice of the glory and attention.

Everything I've read that Marcus has said in this campaign has been put across really well, well thought out, fair points said in a strong way. Noone needs her spouting off all over Twitter, threatening to get shitty with people that disagree with her over it. It's just baiting the far right is it not? And creating a drama which detracts from the good work that has been done.
The contrast is stark isn't it? Marcus Rashford seems to have gone into everything in a positive way. He may have disagreed with policy, but he didn't start furiously shouting about 'people coming at him', he made contacts and got on with the business of changing things, using his platform cleverly and skillfully and generously. I haven't seen any sign of him bitching on the internet at anyone who's dared to disagree with him, or comments that sound like he assumes *everyone* else is a dick who needs to be shown the right way before he starts. He's just influenced and motivated and achieved brilliant things first locally then nationally. JM is embarrassing herself right now. I can't see how she can't see that. Like others have said, for god's sake, SIT DOWN, your way of doing this sucks.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Gah! I really don't think he needs her 'help' 🙄

View attachment 156308

Because what every young black man who grew up in poverty and got himself out of it and then decides to help practically at his own cost - and succeeds - needs is a middle class white woman to claim credit for his achievements - we're hopefully a long way past needing everything to be filtered through white faces to be palatable to the public.

It's not the fucking Black and White Minstrel show, after all.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

GrunkaLunka

VIP Member
I've Grunkad my way here again.

I'm so fucked off with the shaming of those food parcels. They're there to replace the 5 lunches the kids would be receiving if they were in school, it's not supposed to be a week of food ffs. There is nothing wrong with sandwich, fruit and a yoghurt. Or jacket, beans and cheese.
I actually think that sending the makings of sandwiches is the best option because
1) No cooking required
2) Kids can make them if the parent is unable
3) Quite a universally accepted food (although I know there are kids who won't eat sandwiches)
4) Easy to incorporate things you might already have at home (add a packet of crisps, some crudités, bowl of soup, etc)

Also, people are saying it's not enough food for older kids. It is. It's enough food for an adult for a week of lunches. As I've said before, in an ideal world it's not the lunches you'd choose for your kids. I would love mine to be eating a homemade soup filled with lovely veg, but this is the real world and there is a global pandemic. Those food parcels are an absolute God send to some families right now, and shaming them for needing what these arseholes are calling such basics is gross.

I don't believe for one moment she eats the shite she peddles. I think she has a really hate for food. All the other cooks and chefs you see you can see it just makes them happy and they absolutely love it. For Jack i don't get that opinion. It's as if she's making all this 'delicious' food for show.

I don't know guys. Ive had enough. I am just so completely fed up of all the bullshit.
THIS!!! When I watched Jamie Oliver's lockdown show, I really noticed how much he showcased the food he had made and couldn't wait to tuck in. Quite often it showed the family sitting down for dinner and he'd ask the kids if they were enjoying it. Even on the couple of shows he recorded in a studio before lockdown, he was eating the food with proper "Ohhhh yum".
As a complete contrast, when Jack makes any food on screen she doesn't talk about it, doesn't showcase it, seems disinterested, just plonks it down off camera. It's bizarre. I feel like Jamie makes food he loves, whereas Jack makes food with an attitude of proving she can overcome a challenge or something.
OT, has anyone been struggling to get broccoli and cauliflower at the supermarkets the past few weeks?
We eat so much broccoli (6 heads a week) and cauliflower (2 heads a week) and I feel really guilty about this now. Sorry! I haven't had any problems though, I get a weekly order and it's always there.

• Heart

Flumps

VIP Member
Also, people are saying it's not enough food for older kids. It is. It's enough food for an adult for a week of lunches. As I've said before, in an ideal world it's not the lunches you'd choose for your kids. I would love mine to be eating a homemade soup filled with lovely veg, but this is the real world and there is a global pandemic. Those food parcels are an absolute God send to some families right now, and shaming them for needing what these arseholes are calling such basics is gross.
I don't want to go all Mumsnet about portion sizes, or trigger anything about food and eating, but I do think there is something here about how we've lost sight of how much food is actually the necessary amount of food in recent years. I like vintage bits and pieces and I mostly use old plates I've picked up in charity shops over the years. They are noticeably smaller than the plates you'd buy these days, and I think that's because there was much less on them, but it was enough.

I think that means that when people look at that food, they think, 'oh it's not enough' because they are used to huge packs of potatoes, or multi-packs of tuna, or large lumps of cheese in their shopping. But when you portion out what's there, it is enough, it's just not what we're used to seeing.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
Hang on she can barely talk about food needing to be nourishing and contain an adequate amount of calories seeing as her early recipes were mostly junk and the costings were lies that didn't contain enough calories to sustain.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

Yel

Chatty Member
Now I'm anxious about jack in her 100% polyester love island-esk isawitfirstyounastygirl dress and using a camp stove 😬

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42

Breakdance Badass

VIP Member
So I’ve just caught up at last! 🤣 I’m really angry, these food parcels are good for children who may get nothing. I’m sure they aren’t looking thinking “better not eat the biscuits”, not good for me. I think it’s totally fine as something that’s been put together quickly, after all we are in a pandemic Jack! I’m about the most opposite thing to a Tory you can get, so I’m not supporting them, but I think at least they’re getting food for just now. Long term another solution will need to be worked out

I think Marcus Rashford has been inspirational, well done him for showing how to go about it. I heard him speaking this morning and thought how proud his Mum must be, and I’ll admit I felt a bit teary.

So fuck you Jack, this is not about you and nothing to do with you, so back off! When I give to the food bank I always try to give pet food, sanitary products, toothpaste and chocolate. Nobody should not have treats and a pet may be the only comfort they have.

Oh and @Silver Linings you have made me laugh tonight 🤣

• Heart

Saint_clemmie

VIP Member
Jamie Oliver did shout outs for people to buy cheeses from places really struggling to sell as restaurants weren't buying and has kept them in business
How funny it is that Jack has the title of campaigner and activist however Jamie Olivier has achieved so much more with his schools dinners, the cheap meals he’s done in the past and then his perfectly timed carry on cooking.
The school dinners thing wasn’t just a phase either, it’s been a big issue for him throughout is career and it’s so lovely to see him supporting Marcus.
Thinking about it as well, Jamie is constantly using his name to support others, the Friday night show on the pier often had a segment promoting areas of the food industry or highlighting an issue. (I remember one was using factory farmed eggs as ingredients.)
He also uses his Instagram to draw attention to people doing good things or struggling industries as mentioned in the above quote.
Jack just uses her stories for self promotion and awkward lives.

Can someone actually tell me anything Jack has done? I only became aware of her after the lime goss article so genuinely interested to know if I’ve missed something.

Last edited:
  • Heart

MooBelle

VIP Member
Some, and I stress, some, people have a sadistic streak in them, and it honestly permeates into your whole life. Some days I couldn’t be arsed with the fuss so would just mooch around with people who I knew would leave stuff.

Literally every time I get my library card out of my purse I think of my dinner card because the plastic feels the same. Brains!

thank you. 🥰🥰🥰
Big hugs, and dare I say chef's kiss?🤣🤣🤣😘
It baffled me for years why there was a seperate line. With adult hindsight it is obvious that my parents (along with others) paid a termly fee for lunches and we just collected our dished out slop on our tray (although the puddings were totally lush, pink custard and sponge pudding anyone?!!!!) we would just go to our seats. The subsidised kids had to queue up to present their card to have the box ticked to prove they'd eaten that day. But they weren't allowed seconds and the fresh fruit and bread and butter on offer obviously went over the allotted amount so they couldn't have them.
Secondary school was slightly different because we had to pay cash at the end of the queue as we picked whatever we wanted in the more 'cafe' style. The subsidised kids just told the woman at the end (it was always a woman!!!) their name and they marked it in a book.
I cannot fathom for the life of me the inhumanity of refusing a small child a second helping of fish fingers when you
a) know it is going to be chucked
b) know it is almost certainly the only hot meal that kid is going to get.
As a mother (and human) i would be shoving as much hot dinner into those kids as i could. I would also be turning a blind eye to any 'overspends'

Oop, sorry for the rant, it just all came pouring out!!!!!

• Heart
  • Sad