Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tea Cosy

I'm starting to sense a prediction for a storyline, based on the homosexuality news item on the tv in the Turner house. We've never seen Tim show interest in girls - nothing wrong with that though. He'll discover his sexuality at university and come out to his dad and Sheila. Stephen McGann will give a BAFTA winning performance by acting out Dr Turner's very liberal approach and declaring to everyone that "my son is gay and I'm so proud!"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

Aussie

VIP Member
I think Phyllis is on the train, they made a point of saying she was back in England for her last few days of leave before coming back at the weekend.
If they kill Phyliss off, I am never watching it again

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

flopsymopsy

VIP Member
I'm starting to sense a prediction for a storyline, based on the homosexuality news item on the tv in the Turner house. We've never seen Tim show interest in girls - nothing wrong with that though. He'll discover his sexuality at university and come out to his dad and Sheila. Stephen McGann will give a BAFTA winning performance by acting out Dr Turner's very liberal approach and declaring to everyone that "my son is gay and I'm so proud!"
together with an anecdote about how he was once gay, I swear dr T has a personal story to tell everyone hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Cast members don't give plot spoilers away in interviews and I think all interviews were given before the christmas special.

That's how things get leaked and I don't think it's fair. Sorry.
Then why would you post on a public forum that you have insider info?? What did you expect to be the outcome of that 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

petitspois

VIP Member
I've been watching it from the start again and the difference is marked. I admit I'm a bit biased as I had a 2 week old baby when the series first started so was clearly a bit emotional but it used to be really life-affirming, helped you remember how hard life was years ago and was just right for a Sunday night. Now it's twee, smug, overly woke and - as others have already said - has turned into the Turner Show.

Reactions: 21

flopsymopsy

VIP Member
I watched the ten year special, interesting that Dr T describes the Turner family as the “centre” of the drama.
It isn’t! The bloody midwives and nuns are the centre

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20

and nothing happens

Really cannot go the extreme social distancing on the show any more. Cyril was told he was going to be a dad and they just held hands across the table! Sick of them smiling across the kitchen at each other.

• Haha

MyRightTit

VIP Member
I honestly haven’t really noticed the social distancing but then I’m blind as a bat without my glasses.
My least favourite character is Sheila, I much preferred her when she was a nun. She’s just so twee & “capable”. She can turn her hand to anything. I bet she knits her own yoghurts.

• Haha

amelieamelie

Had a pizza and it got me thinking..
Dr Turner is defo a meat feast kinda guy, 100%
15 inch, the works 👌
Offers Shelagh the thinnest slice, she replies with "Oh Patrick" 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19

LadyAlys

I wonder when the “current events” of the era will start to show in this series? I can see hints of decriminalisation of homosexuality, but wasn’t that the same era as the legalisation of abortion?
Are there any other events that might come up?
Dr Turner : first man on the moon!

• Haha
Reactions: 18

LinaLamont

On a more positive note, Trixie looks fabulous and her style has really been the one constant throughout the entire series. I’d dress like this every day if I could :love:.
E83A14F0-2243-4C8B-8575-B030537775D2.jpeg
462B4F28-AED6-421A-A62A-8BA090BD2D1F.jpeg
DB6B0152-6A11-43F2-A384-68677C940E27.jpeg
C7C4FDF9-D58A-402A-8A31-27B386909CC6.jpeg
242111A8-9F56-453B-ACE4-7C3BBCD94129.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Clickbait

VIP Member
Caught up with Sunday’s episode today and found the homosexuality storyline to be very poorly conceived and played out.

We are to believe a boy who has just turned 17 and still reads the Beano goes off to work in a hotel a virgin, and not only starts an active gay sex life but also becomes a gay prostitute?

That the mother who was so overcome with grief at the news that she is wailing and clawing at the door, is right as rain the next day with the only remorse being she’s let her son down? And the father, at his age and with his background/values would also be so accepting; and they all want him to find a nice loving male partner.

Also that despite Dr. Turner saying that the NHS treatment would be chemical castration, he is so progressive he recognises it is not an illness or a character flaw, and doesn’t advise against him having sex with men despite the present medical or legal risks?

The part that may have been more interesting and indeed still relevant today was the boy’s internal struggle and the seeking of conversion therapy, but that was skimmed over in about a minute and a half.

I think they just want things to be nice and cosy, and that is not what life is like now and it certainly was not in the East End in the 1950s/60s.

Blair-Waldorf

VIP Member
the rich bloke is proper fit isn’t he 🤣
I’ve been wondering how much longer it can go on for, not that I want it to end, I love it