Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Remember when Mother Mildred told a wee Houseproud lady she lived in a slum :LOL: 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I've been watching it from the start again and the difference is marked. I admit I'm a bit biased as I had a 2 week old baby when the series first started so was clearly a bit emotional but it used to be really life-affirming, helped you remember how hard life was years ago and was just right for a Sunday night. Now it's twee, smug, overly woke and - as others have already said - has turned into the Turner Show.

Reactions: 21
I feel like the social distancing has hit this show more than any other and I’m not sure why? Most programmes you can’t really tell and they do a good job of hiding it but on this show every scene is just weird and they’re so far apart it’s almost comical! It’s ruined some moments like Lucille’s whole time as a newlywed and Matthew and Trixie getting together! Hoping it improves in the next series when things go back to ‘normal’.

Reactions: 9
I thought so, was she the hippy girl whos partner had another girl pregnant at the same time? But I don't think it is her, just similar looking
I thought that, I'm sure she played the partner of the mobster brothers a couple of months ago.

Reactions: 3
Hang on ✋

Has Shelagh been wearing the same glasses for almost 10 years now? I think they're the same ones from s2
A bit concerning if you ask me 🤨

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Hang on ✋

Has Shelagh been wearing the same glasses for almost 10 years now? I think they're the same ones from s2
A bit concerning if you ask me 🤨
It was those glasses that started the whole thing. Suddenly she realised she was beautiful and started to make sexy nun eyes at the good doctor. The glasses stay.

• Haha
I normally lurk in this thread but I've been wearing the same glasses for ten years and now I feel exposed 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Looks like our Helen has turned into quite an influencer 👀
Screenshot_20220210-064156_Instagram.jpg

Sustainable product apparently. Would expect nothing less from Hels ❤
She even filmed a little demo
Every little helps 💰
Screenshot_20220210-064530_Instagram.jpg

Will admit, I am confused about the peach emoji 🤔

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I guess Helen didn't get paid maternity leave. Every two- bit influencer has been hawking these.

• Haha
I'm catching up on series 11 after not watching it for a bit and I have to say that Miss Higgings has perhaps become my favourite next to Phylis. I've just watched the episode where she moved into Nonnatus and it's been one that I enjoyed the most for a while. I'm also really liking Sister Hilda and Frances at the moment, but I'm a bit fed up of the Turners. It's become very much about them and they are a bit sickly sweet for me and very politically correct. Feels like I am watching it out of loyalty than anything these days.

Reactions: 11
Just catching up on the last 2 weeks of Call The Midwife. How bad was that episode with the bomb?! I mean, the patient storylines were mildly interesting but let down by the rest of the show! I don't understand why they would randomly write out Phyllis in the same episode that Trixie leaves. Especially while she was in the middle of supporting Lucille through her miscarriage. The jumble sale only seemed to be there to set up the bomb story which literally was a blink and you miss it kind of scene. One minute they're getting evacuated, the next Fred's giving out cake! What was the point? There was no tension whatsoever!

As I said I found the patient stories mildly interesting though the abusive mother was comically batshit, it would have been so much better had she been more subtle. And the other one seemed to be there to set up Lucille's miscarriage, which I'm sorry to say lacked impact for me because of everything else that was going on.

The incidental music drove me mad, it was far too intrusive. I have a hearing impairment, so if I can hear the music, it's far too loud! I almost don't want to watch the next episode. I think I've finally lost my love for the show 😕

How bad was that episode with the bomb?! The jumble sale only seemed to be there to set up the bomb story which literally was a blink and you miss it kind of scene. One minute they're getting evacuated, the next Fred's giving out cake! What was the point? There was no tension whatsoever!
Completely agree! The Series 2 Christmas Special had an unexploded WWII bomb and it was a much better storyline by comparison. It drew the viewer in by the detail and air time that was given to it. It had lots of tension and some scenes were in slow motion to add to the drama of whether the bomb disposal soldiers were going to make it out alive.

Reactions: 8
The incidental music drove me mad, it was far too intrusive. I have a hearing impairment, so if I can hear the music, it's far too loud! I almost don't want to watch the next episode. I think I've finally lost my love for the show 😕
I too find the incidental music intrusive. It has increased over the last few series and is used on every scene. On the early series it was sparingly used and only where necessary. A drama production should not be saturated with plinky plonky pull-at-your-heartstrings music from start to finish. The quality of the acting performances should be enough to carry the scenes by themselves.

Reactions: 5
I've lost my passion for this now. Unless theres inane chatter about bird attacks or some such I'm out.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Not even going to watch today's episode guys
I stopped before the 30 mins mark last week 🥱
Only thing getting me through this series is the thread, so keep the commentary coming 👌

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.