Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to really enjoy the early series, I watched the Christmas special and it was so boring I have no idea what happened and sooooooo long. Anyone else watch it?

Reactions: 8
I really love Call the Midwife but do agree that the Christmas special just seemed to be lacking something. I don't know if it's because of the effect that Covid had on filming, but it just didn't have the depth that the specials have had in the past? There were a couple of sweet moments, like Phyllis at the circus (I have a soft spot for her), but it didn't have the same impact that it normally does. I also felt like Val's exit could have been written a bit better.

Last edited:
I thought it was just me that found the Christmas special boring I felt like we were all waiting for something to happen and nothing really did. I know Covid will of played a part but I was disappointed especially as it was the one thing I was actually looking forward to.

Reactions: 3
Eeee I didn’t even know Val had properly left I thought she had just skipped the Christmas special!

Reactions: 2
Eeee I didn’t even know Val had properly left I thought she had just skipped the Christmas special!
Jennifer Kirby said something on Twitter about saying goodbye to the show, so I think she has left! I feel like they've left the plot open enough that she could come back at some point though, even just for a guest apperance. She was one of my favourite characters so I was sad to see her go.

Reactions: 1
So i was flicking through netflix accidentally pause on chucky 2 and it starts playing a trailer, look up it's only sister bloody Julienne playing the mum. I was weak 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I really enjoyed it actually 😳 I totally accept it for the escapist nonsense it is 🤣

Val's leaving was really clunky though. Was that REALLY the best they could do? She was such a good character with a lot of depth and a massive storyline then...poof....gone to Africa and said not a word!

It was okay. I love Phyllis at the circus and Miss H and Phyllis having their Christmas dinner. Trix and Sister MJ bore me to tears now.

Reactions: 4
I'm trying to catch up on season 9 on Netflix (USA) but I'm finding it so slow now compared to past seasons where I was gripped to each episode. It's taking me a while to get through the season. I'm sad to hear that Val has left as she was my favorite character. It sounds like the door is left open but I thought the same thing with Chummy and she never returned. I do like Phyllis and Lucille (and Cyril). I always thought Trixi would be next to leave or Sister MJ.

Reactions: 1
It was okay. I love Phyllis at the circus and Miss H and Phyllis having their Christmas dinner. Trix and Sister MJ bore me to tears now.
I do like Trixie but I'm not sure what's left for her to do now, I feel like they need another midwife to balance it out.

Sister MJ on the other hand is a pain in the arse. The screeching and wailing and lamenting is quite wearing, they don't seem to show her fun side anymore.

Reactions: 6
I used to love this show but I think it may have run its course now. Might be in the minority but I couldn’t stand Valerie. I also can’t be doing with Dr Turner - he’s such a ham and is always peddling some cautionary tale like a character in a kids programme

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I used to love this show but I think it may have run its course now. Might be in the minority but I couldn’t stand Valerie. I also can’t be doing with Dr Turner - he’s such a ham and is always peddling some cautionary tale like a character in a kids programme
I liked Dr. Turner in the earlier seasons. I’ve always had a crush on the Mcgann men lol. After 9 seasons (that I’ve watched so far) I’m tired of Dr. Turner’s saviorism (if that’s a word) of being the only doctor in the area to recognize a disease outbreak, diagnosis a rare disease, or cure a misdiagnosis. Am I misunderstanding the time period? I know it’s a television series but would jack-of-all medical specialities Dr. Turner cover such a large area by himself in a non rural area?

I liked Dr. Turner in the earlier seasons. I’ve always had a crush on the Mcgann men lol. After 9 seasons (that I’ve watched so far) I’m tired of Dr. Turner’s saviorism (if that’s a word) of being the only doctor in the area to recognize a disease outbreak, diagnosis a rare disease, or cure a misdiagnosis. Am I misunderstanding the time period? I know it’s a television series but would jack-of-all medical specialities Dr. Turner cover such a large area by himself in a non rural area?
I can't see Dr Turner leaving the show anytime soon - Stephen McGann is married to the creator and writer of the show so that could be why he gets so many of those moments, and Patrick and Shelagh always seem to have a big storyline going on. Me and my mum do laugh everytime they call a doctor and he turns up - surely Poplar must have more than one doctor? Is he always on call? What if there's more than one emergency at once?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Ahhhh call the midwife, I love it. The newest series have been such tosh admittedly but it’s such good escapism, although they deal with hard hitting issues it just feels really gentle to me. Agree with others that Dr Turner is a bit of a saviour. Also agree about Sister MJ. It sounds horrible but she gets on my nerves!
I feel like the show went downhill when Sister Evangelina was written out. I LOVED her.

(it almost makes me want to join a sisterhood 🤣🤣🤣)

Reactions: 6
I can't see Dr Turner leaving the show anytime soon - Stephen McGann is married to the creator and writer of the show so that could be why he gets so many of those moments, and Patrick and Shelagh always seem to have a big storyline going on. Me and my mum do laugh everytime they call a doctor and he turns up - surely Poplar must have more than one doctor? Is he always on call? What if there's more than one emergency at once?
He’s like Dr Karl Kennedy in neighbours 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I used to love it. It was one of the few shows I’d watch without being on my phone at the same time 😂
The last few series I haven’t been as keen on, I think since Patsy and Delia left really. I do still enjoy it just not as much as before. Phylis and Miss Higgins meal was sweet!

I do like Trixie but I'm not sure what's left for her to do now, I feel like they need another midwife to balance it out.

Sister MJ on the other hand is a pain in the arse. The screeching and wailing and lamenting is quite wearing, they don't seem to show her fun side anymore.
Unpopular opinion. But I could quite happily do without sister MJ. No reflection on the wonderful Judy Parfitts performance but the character grates like hell. She also seems to be bloody immortal.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.