Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lola123

VIP Member
currently about to start my 100th book of the year! Very excited to see what else you lovely individuals recommend

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18

Milfordcubicle

VIP Member
Evening all I’m so glad I’ve found this thread! I’m an absolute book maniac. I’ve read 41 books this year and the most recent were “the frequency of us“ (weird) “after the end” (quite odd) “the vanishing half” “girl woman other” “ the sea gate “ (fantastic) “American dirt” “ people like her” and I’m currently reading “the other son”
which the push is everyone reading? Two come up with same name
i am quite frankly ashamed at my TBR pile (or piles, all over house and about 400 on kindle)
I think I’ve found my people 👌🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Oh my god I always think I love this thread and then I come on and catch up on this thread and think,

damn I really, really, really love this thread 😂😂 I’ve never known people in my real life who hoard books, and get excited about a new book release 😂 this is the stuff I hide like people hide biscuit wrappers behind the cushions 😂

I’ve never joined a book community so it’s been so good to have this place now. ♥♥

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I want to have a job where I can just read all day and get paid my salary without actually doing anything. Just read, post here to say I've read another book then move onto the next one 😂 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Hello all.

I have been gone for ages, been in hospital since early July. The positive is I am bed bound and have tons of time for reading. I have read 41 books since I have been here, a book a day a lot of the time - thank goodness for the Kindle. It is funny, I always thought I hated the Kindle and I will always prefer an actual paper book but it had been an absolute Godsend the last couple of months.

I've been ploughing through Kindle Unlimited mostly. Found an author Carol Wyer who has a few detective series, they aren't award winning fiction but I have been enjoying them for an easy to read "who done it" and not once have I guessed the culprit correctly.

I have of course just read 15 pages to catch up here and downloaded everything that was recommended.

The best book I have read is The Boy Who Saw In Colours by Lauren Robinson. It is about the Holocaust so it isn't an easy book but it took my breath away, it is a clever, strong story. Josef will stay with me forever.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I keep raving about the library but the last two days they keep trying to push National treasure Lorraine Kelly’s 2008 biography on me and I’ve never been so insulted or felt so misunderstood. 😕

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14

50sGirl

VIP Member
Just finished The Five. Not read a non fiction book in years so it made a change.
The book delves into the lives of the five Jack the Ripper victims. I found some of the stories more interesting than others and I also felt, on occasion, the other was using poetic licence with some of her facts/assumptions. That said, I found it interesting to read a bit about the social history of the time.
My great grandmother was born in Whitechapel in the summer of 1888 so no doubt her mother felt great fear. One of the streets mentioned in the book where a victim lived was described as the worst/poorest street in London. My great grandmother was born in the adjacent street. I knew my family were poor, but that brought home to me just how poor they really were.

Reactions: 13

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Ok drumroll please!

I've gotten my thinking cap on and come up with a rough structure for Tattle's Inaugural Readathon. It's taking place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and you can take part in as much or as little as you like. I've mixed in prompts and some games too. Happy to do a quiz if enough people are interested - I bloody love a book quiz!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

I plan to read...... during the readathon

The last book I read was...

My favourite book as a child was....

My favourite book as a teenager was.....

My favourite book now is.....

2 x reading sprints with specific times (these can run each day - more on these below.).

End of day check in - pages read, coffee drunk, change of goals tomorrow? (can do this at the end of each day - no pressure!)

Day 2

Three books that sum up me....

Turn to page 42 in your current read. Share the first line with us. Can anyone guess where it's from?

Which book would you like to live in and why?

Day 3

Show us a photo of your bookmark/ebook reader cover/associated reading paraphernalia

Tell us about the book(s) this thread has inspired you to read.

READING SPRINTS

These are designed to get you reading within a set time frame. Everyone closes Tattle 😉, picks up their reading material and just reads for 15 minutes, half an hour or whatever time frame we agree upon. You can report back with how much you've read, beverages/snacks consumed etc. They seem to be quite keen on stats in the readathon community and I quite like that myself 🤣

Happy to take feedback, suggestions and comments re the plans.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I've just finished Billy Summers the new Stephen King. I am a 'constant reader' of his and hands down this is the best book he's ever written. (in my subjective opinion of course!)

It's a thriller with no horror or supernatural in sight, apart from a couple of nods to other books and it's character driven which is what he does best. (Again imo)

Reactions: 12

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Best thread on tattle life number 4!! ☺

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’m obsessed with the library, I swear to GOD this thread has been the best thing to come out of 2021 because I would never have thought of going back to the library and accessing the online content.

thank you all so much 😍

Im about to start my 15th audio book which has taken the place of (background) pointless tv/music while I get stuff done/driving/in the bath 😂

• Heart

qwikti

Chatty Member
I both love and hate this thread for introducing me to kindle daily deals and 99p deals on the kindle store 😂 I LOVE the cheap books, but my list of owned-but-unread books is far too long for these shenanigans 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 11

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Just finished The Push. Wow it was twisted.

I wasnt sure if it was gonna go the other way and the character you think is the bad one isnt and the other character is unhinged.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’ve read so much over the last few days. 🙈

I’ve reached that stage where I finish a book and think “I need to tell the thread” 😂

will be back later with my thoughts on some. 😬
The push was one of the best books I’ve read this year for sure.
I really struggled with Girl A and My Dark Vanessa but I can totally see why others have enjoyed them.

hilary mantel wolf hall trilogy I really tried to give it a chance in the past, Nope, I’m just not built for it 😐

• Heart

DietGossip

VIP Member
I'm thinking of doing a "self improvement september" and making a big dent in all the non-fiction and self help books on my tbr!

• Heart
I had a friend that was a proof reader and her work load was *insane*. Like she was expected to finish 500+ page books in a day 👀
That sounds like it would involve work afterwards. Showing where there were errors or not making sense. I literally want to read, think about it, post on tattle and chill 😂

• Haha

Lola123

VIP Member
Just started where the crawdads sing…. Feel like it’s one of the most hyped books over the last 18 months

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I'm having a bit of a dilemma - just yesterday I got 4 books (two arrived in the post, two from charity shops) and I've still got another on the way, buttttt... I want another one 🤪

I want to join the Dickens vs Tolstoy bookclub (run by youtubers Emmie and Carolyn Marie Reads) because they're onto Anna Karenina, and I've always wanted to read it! It's a book I know I'll forever want to keep in my collections, so I can justify getting it in that way but I did also just get 4 books, so another part of me is feeling very guilty haha

But that being said, God bless charity shops, because I got Wide Sargasso Sea in a penguin clothbound for just 2 pounds! Those go for like 10-15 usually! Jane Eyre is such a comfort read for me, I feel so happy whenever I read it, I'm looking forward to this!
In my opinion, if there is one thing is life nobody should feel guilty for it’s investing in education or reading material.

• Heart